Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:18 pm

Calvary 
Second Unit Director

Post Calvary
Calvary
Review by Don O'Neill

Director: John Michael McDonagh
Writer: John Michael McDonagh (screenplay)
Stars:
Brendan Gleeson
Chris O'Dowd
Kelly Reilly
Aidan Gillen
Dylan Moran
Michael Fitzgerald
Isaach De Bankolé
Domhnall Gleeson
David Wilmot
Pat Short
A new Irish release which has been mostly funded by Irish Enterprises has been released staring Brendan Gleeson has ust been released in Ireland.
It is set in a small seaside village and mainly deals with the interaction between a Parish priest and his seemingly small parish.
It opens in a confessional when a priest is told that he will be killed next Sunday week.
Most people will know who it is, but we do not discover who it is until the end.
The film shows how the Priest comes to terms with impending death and the loss of faith from nearly all of his Parishioners.
There are several Irish mainstream actors filling many roles with most of them will be familiar with Irish audiences, the most famous being Pat Shortt, Chris O'Dowd, and Dylan Moran.
We get to spend a small amount of time with each fo the charactors in the town, but I feel that some of the characters are little cliched. Perhaps if there is a fault here it might be because the most of the actors playing them are against type. Dylan Moran playing a rich manor house owner or Pat Short playing a disgruntled pup lanlord. I could not see past either of the actors tot he charactors.
This film hangs on Gleeon's mighty shoulders. He is in every scene in the film. He shows the priest to be not only a normal man, but a man who is at peace with his faith even though the whole world around him questions the catholic church. His characterization of the priest in the main reason to watch this film. I feel that if if Gleeson's priest was in every parish the catholic church would not be in the mess it is today.
There are several topics covered in this film, death, the church's dealing with the it's pedophile issues, faith, the banking crisis. each one is touched but the perhaps finest moment occurs when the priest speaking to a young girl is rudely removed by her father who is angered that a Priest is along with his daughter. Perhaps this causes the priest to go over the edge.

The photography in this film is beautifully shot. Ireland has never looked better.
The sound track manages to add a certain grace to the film while not imposing itself on the film. It is worthy to note that at the end of the film there was no sound at all which lead to a great deal of depth.
It should be important to note that when leaving the cinema everyone was quiet even the teenagers. This film touches your soul and leaves a lasting impression

There are a few issues with the film, but I cannot recommend this film enough.
If you can see please do so.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:44 am
Cinematographer

Post Re: Calvary
I liked John Michael McDonagh's The Guard quite a bit, so I'll keep an eye out for this. Thanks, Don.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:35 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Calvary
Pedro wrote:
I liked John Michael McDonagh's The Guard quite a bit, so I'll keep an eye out for this. Thanks, Don.

The Guard was a fine film which also starred Brendan Gleeson. Although Calvary has a few funny scenes, it is predominitly a drama.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:10 pm