Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:19 am

SABOTAGE 
Site Admin

Post SABOTAGE
Click here for the review of Sabotage

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Post Re: SABOTAGE
I think "End of Days" was the last Arnold movie that showed Arnold actually trying to broaden his acting by playing a dark, grim, emotionally-scarred character.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:30 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Still mildly interested in this and I like most of the cast so I'll see it at some point. Even if this film bombs he still has Expendables 3, the new Conan film, and Terminator 5 to fall back on, but I wonder if he'll ever have another standalone project like this in the future if this does poorly at the box office (which it probably will).

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:51 pm
Director

Will probably see this mainly because I'm a fan of David Ayer's work. Part of me is nervous though. I remember once before when Arnold tried to play a more complex role of this type in 1986's forgettable Raw Deal.

Also every time i see the title I get the Beastie Boys song of the same name in my head.

Can't stand it
I know you planned it
I'm gonna set it straight this Watergate

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:44 pm
Auteur

I disagree about the last 10 minutes, I don't think it sent the film "careening" at all, I thought it was a very fitting way to end the film.

It was nice to see Arnie get a chance to play a different kind of character, and the twists took me by surprise more then once. Definitely Ayer's best film so far for me.

I thought Arnie was pretty good in Raw Deal as well.

Also the reason for the ending feeling different to the rest of the film is because the movie originally had a different ending
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Breacher turns out to be the one who's killing the team, he gets into a fight with the detective at a lake where he's hiding the 10 million
people at the screenings didn't like the ending to say the least(can't disagree, I would've been pissed if it ended like that) so it got changed.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:51 pm
Second Unit Director

Convictions wrote:
Still mildly interested in this and I like most of the cast so I'll see it at some point. Even if this film bombs he still has Expendables 3, the new Conan film, and Terminator 5 to fall back on, but I wonder if he'll ever have another standalone project like this in the future if this does poorly at the box office (which it probably will).

Doesn't he still want to do a sequel to "Twins"?

Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:35 am
Assistant Director

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Will probably see this mainly because I'm a fan of David Ayer's work. Part of me is nervous though. I remember once before when Arnold tried to play a more complex role of this type in 1986's forgettable Raw Deal.

Also every time i see the title I get the Beastie Boys song of the same name in my head.

Can't stand it
I know you planned it
I'm gonna set it straight this Watergate

I'm not going to see this movie. Let's get that out of the way immediately. Jeff Wilder's understandable association of the word sabotage with the Beasties means (a) he's probably about my age and/or (b) he knows that there can only be one capital-S Sabotage. Which is, naturally, why I feel like seeing this movie would be an act of infidelity.

I really just came in here to post a link to Netty's Girl, the greatest Beastie Boys video ever created that doubles as a stern warning never to let Mike Diamond screw around in the studio. Never. Don't let him do that. Netty's Girl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5g79zfjdts

Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:57 am
Second Unit Director

Just got back from Sabotage and it seemed like a good idea. It's pretty much a slasher movie with automatic weapons, a car chase and Arnold so at least it has a gimmick to separate itself from other Arnold movies. It's even decently made in looks, has a decent story and good acting. It doesn't really do anything wrong, it just kept me at arms length as it went about it's business. See it on TV.

And as for the ending...it would've been good if

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Arnold actually died. And don't tell me that's the case cause he just got shot in the chest and there's no blood coming out his mouth which means it didn't hit his lung and he doesn't have internal bleeding.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:01 pm
Auteur

patrick wrote:
Just got back from Sabotage and it seemed like a good idea. It's pretty much a slasher movie with automatic weapons, a car chase and Arnold so at least it has a gimmick to separate itself from other Arnold movies. It's even decently made in looks, has a decent story and good acting. It doesn't really do anything wrong, it just kept me at arms length as it went about it's business. See it on TV.

And as for the ending...it would've been good if

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Arnold actually died. And don't tell me that's the case cause he just got shot in the chest and there's no blood coming out his mouth which means it didn't hit his lung and he doesn't have internal bleeding.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Just cause he wasn't bleeding from the mouth dosen't mean he didn't die, you can also die from a gunshot wound if it bleeds out too much

Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:34 pm
Director

Fairly solid. As far as David Ayer's filmography goes not up to the level of End Of Watch (his best film) or the underrated Harsh Times. But ahead of Street Kings.

This doesn't show that Arnold is a serious dramatic actor. But it does show he may have a future outside of re-doing what he did in the 80s into the direct-to-DVD graveyard. He pulls off this role way better than he did in the not that bad but still mediocre Raw Deal and the dismal Collateral Damage.

It helps that the script is decent and Ayer knows how to direct. His previous films were all loaded with gritty realism (as was Training Day which he wrote but did not direct) and there's a lot of that here as well. None of the characters in this are invincible, not even Arnold.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
The last shot shows him with a look of acceptance and hints that the wound is fatal

So this isn't great cinema. But it's an action-thriller with more depth than most.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:30 pm
Cinematographer

Jeff Wilder wrote:
So this isn't great cinema.

When I first joined the forum, this wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me. It is now. I am no longer at a place in my life where passable cinema gets a stamp of approval.

Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Cinematographer

Pedro wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
So this isn't great cinema.

When I first joined the forum, this wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me. It is now. I am no longer at a place in my life where passable cinema gets a stamp of approval.

I saw this last night. I'm not going to say it's great cinema, but it's definitely worthy cinema. It's a lot more worthy than the critical reception would indicate. The movie is somewhat concerned with showing the effects of the war on drugs, the toll it takes on those involved, and the blurring of the line between criminal and cop. A lot of that is par for the course for these kinds of movies, but they can be well done.

The real reason this one has a little bit of merit is how interested it is in examining the myth of Arnold the action hero. It has more than a little in common with the Clint Eastwood masterpiece Unforgiven, especially that very last scene that JB hated. Now, I'm not saying this movie is on par with Eastwood's movie (For the record, it isn't. At all.), just that they're interested in exploring the aging psyche of someone who's dealt in violence his whole cinematic career. I really, really loved that last scene, even though I agree with JB when he touches on how it doesn't really feel like it's part of the same movie.

This is a very flawed, imperfect movie, but it has more ambition than I ever thought it would, and this is coming from someone who really liked End of Watch. I was expecting more of the same, but got something totally different and dug it, warts and all. I'm 100% convinced Ayer has a truly great movie in him. This isn't it (and neither is End of Watch, despite its overall excellence), but there is one coming. I can't shake the feeling that this is being written off because it's an Arnold action movie that people expect little of.

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:29 am
Site Admin

PeachyPete wrote:

The real reason this one has a little bit of merit is how interested it is in examining the myth of Arnold the action hero. It has more than a little in common with the Clint Eastwood masterpiece Unforgiven, especially that very last scene that JB hated. Now, I'm not saying this movie is on par with Eastwood's movie (For the record, it isn't. At all.), just that they're interested in exploring the aging psyche of someone who's dealt in violence his whole cinematic career. I really, really loved that last scene, even though I agree with JB when he touches on how it doesn't really feel like it's part of the same movie.

When you consider the original trajectory of the screenplay with the original ending (which Vexer mentioned above), the whole thing makes a lot more sense and you understand why the last 15 minutes has a "tacked on" feel. Ayer has hinted that the original cut may be made available on DVD and I would be interested in seeing it. I think that original ending would bring it a lot closer to "Unforgiven." It also sews up some plot holes created by the reworked resolution.

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:59 am
Profile WWW
Director

have a feeling Arnie's next film 'Maggie' will be VOD
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1881002/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_1

Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:44 pm