Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:21 am

Thora Birch Interview 
Producer

Post Thora Birch Interview
A girl who is at serious risk of becoming a Trivial Pursuit question on vanished film actors gives an account here -

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/ja ... isappeared

There's something weird about how people can disappear from public life. Watching them on screen at a later date becomes more of an exercise in nostalgia than an actual film.

I have 2 wishes for her -

1. She does find a route back into cinema. It's been done before

2. Number 1 isn't via Mega shark v Cock-asaraus 8.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:37 am
Auteur

Post Re: Thora Birch Interview
I actually wouldn't mind seeing her doing a film like that.

I also have to say I don't like the tone the interviewer took with her, she came off as being a real bitch to Thora at times.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:32 pm
Second Unit Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
There's something weird about how people can disappear from public life. Watching them on screen at a later date becomes more of an exercise in nostalgia than an actual film.

Yeah it's strange. Obviously there's a strange element when someone dies, especially when young (one of the recurring characters on Family Matters (Urkel's girlfriend, I think) died of stomach cancer soon after the show ended, and it genuinely threw me to watch the show on Nick at Nite and stuff.

It's an interesting article and I appreciate Birch's at least sort-of candor, but it is a bit sad.

Vexer wrote:
I also have to say I don't like the tone the interviewer took with her, she came off as being a real bitch to Thora at times.

Examples? Name-calling without explanation isn't good form. It was a fairly well written article, but I found no place where she took an unfair or derogatory tone.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:47 pm
Second Unit Director

Shade2 wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

Yeah it's strange. Obviously there's a strange element when someone dies, especially when young (one of the recurring characters on Family Matters (Urkel's girlfriend, I think) died of stomach cancer soon after the show ended, and it genuinely threw me to watch the show on Nick at Nite and stuff.

It's an interesting article and I appreciate Birch's at least sort-of candor, but it is a bit sad.

Vexer wrote:

Examples? Name-calling without explanation isn't good form. It was a fairly well written article, but I found no place where she took an unfair or derogatory tone.

Why do you bother dude?

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:01 pm
Assistant Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
Mega shark v Cock-asaraus 8.

Vexer wrote:
I actually wouldn't mind seeing her doing a film like that.

Nor I. It'd be hard to watch at work, of course. Look for the double meaning in that last sentence. It's mighty subtle.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:41 pm
Producer

Shade2 wrote:

Funny thing is, i can almost sense the awkwardness that contributed to her fading.

Although the 00s were an overly hot-totty focussed decade too, and although Birch isn't unattractive, she isn't 'that'

Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:58 pm
Auteur

wisey wrote:
Shade2 wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

Vexer wrote:

Why do you bother dude?

I don't know, why do you bother? :?

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:32 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
I don't know, why do you bother? :?

Whoa Vex, that comes across as slightly homophobic.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:47 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:

Hi Vexer. I find it curious that you think that about the interviewer from the Guardian -- in what way did she come across as a bitch to Thora? Over all, when I read the article, the interviewer came across as being fairly neutral, writing in a style quite common among British journalists.

Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:35 am