Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:55 am

Mistaken For Strangers 
Assistant Director

Post Mistaken For Strangers
Mistaken For Strangers

Out this Friday is a new documentary around and about The National. Anyone interested in such a thing? Getting good press so far.

We'll be there at the 8:45 showing @ Roxie on Friday night. Join us!

Impressions on this movie to follow. Very excited to see it.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:59 am
Cinematographer

Post Re: Mistaken For Strangers
I doubt this is playing anywhere near me in Phoenix this weekend, but I'm definitely interested in it and in hearing your thoughts. I've been a fan of the band for many years now, and I saw them live when they were touring High Violet. They put on a solid show.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:08 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Join you? Really? I can actually do that. Movie sounds interesting. I guess I should listen to some of their music beforehand.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:15 am
Director

Will definitely see it when I get a chance as I like The National. Gotta get their latest.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:15 am
Second Unit Director

Love, love, love The National not the least because Matt Berninger has an impeccable baritone, rare in popular music. Plan to check this out at earliest convenience, even if it wasn't north of 80% on RT. Still PO'd that their Austin City Limits Festival set was rained out the weekend I went!

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:38 pm
Assistant Director

My hopes are high as the bands I like usually don't get a documentary that's worth seeking out. The last good one I saw was Slow Century, the doc made around Pavement at the time Terror Twilight was getting prepped. Truth be told, I've gotten far away from the point in my life when I kept up with music. I caught Drive Well, Sleep Carefully, a mediocre documentary around Death Cab for Cutie, not among my favorite bands. That may have been the last non-performance music documentary I've seen... five, six years ago.

While we're on the subject, I've maybe seen six of these documentaries total. Meeting People is Easy, the one around Wilco, the two above, the Metallica about their sessions with a shrink. That's probably it. So I've seen maybe five of these. Six come Friday.

Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:16 pm
Cinematographer

Mark III wrote:
While we're on the subject, I've maybe seen six of these documentaries total. Meeting People is Easy, the one around Wilco, the two above, the Metallica about their sessions with a shrink. That's probably it. So I've seen maybe five of these. Six come Friday.

How about Anvil: The Story of Anvil? Judging from the trailer, it looks like Mistaken For Strangers is going for a similar tone, another reason why I'm hoping it will be a little more interesting than the average "rockumentary."

Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:12 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

I searched for Anvil: The Story of Anvil on Hulu n' Netflix and was disappointed to see that I would have delay my viewing until I was willing to spend $4 on an Amazon rental. I made some lemonade by watching an Errol Morris documentary I'd never heard of called Tabloid and, in lieu of my writing more than 50 words about it, let me high five myself for the serendipitous stumbling upon this delightful movie. It was more rock and roll than rock and roll.

Certainly more rock and roll than I Am Trying To Break Your Heart, the amateur film that posits Wilco's battle to get their overrated* album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot onto shelves was in fact a stunning victory against corporate nasties.

*I realize 'overrated' is a word that has been banned around these parts but, while I would usually agree that its use is tired and arguably meaningless (if not accidentally biographical), it will always apply to Yanee Hotel Foxtrot. Though it's a decent album with a handful of good ideas, it's hardly special. The storm of praise the album received was completely disproportionate to what the album actually offered: standard pop melodies with light production trickery. However, the storm of praise the album received was completely proportionate to the indie music press's feelings about corporate strangeholds on creativity. The Grade: A+s and 10/10s seemed to be for the little album's breaking shackles from Big Business and finding sweet liberty on Tiny Analog Label. With the help of James Kunz, this phenomenon has a name: Magnificent Ambersification. It is in this way that overrated fits like a glove.

Now back to The National and the many charms of their gloomy outlook. Baby, we'll be fine.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:16 am