Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:53 am

So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread... 
Assistant Director

Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
Vegas Odds for the 2014 World Series!

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:29 pm
Director

so the MLB season starts late tomorrow night in Australia. in a cricket stadium. Dodgers-Diamondbacks. curious what sort of turnout they get.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:18 pm
Critic

calvero wrote:
so the MLB season starts late tomorrow night in Australia. in a cricket stadium. Dodgers-Diamondbacks. curious what sort of turnout they get.

Do you know whether it's going to be on TV here? I can't seem to find out

Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:54 pm
Critic

Found it -- MLB network, but not ESPN. Lame.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:26 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:

That is lame. You would think these opening games would be made available to just about everyone.

First game starts at 1:00 am Saturday my time. I don't think I'll be able to last the whole way through, but I'll stay awake long enough to catch the beginning. Unfortunately our #1 starter Patrick Corbin is staring Tommy John in the face, big blow for my team...

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Blonde Almond wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

That is lame. You would think these opening games would be made available to just about everyone.

First game starts at 1:00 am Saturday my time. I don't think I'll be able to last the whole way through, but I'll stay awake long enough to catch the beginning. Unfortunately our #1 starter Patrick Corbin is staring Tommy John in the face, big blow for my team...

I've always liked your team (except in 2001 when you beat my Cardinals in an utterly thrilling NLDS) so I wish them the best, but if you set the over/under for AZ at 86 wins I'd take the under.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:55 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
I've always liked your team (except in 2001 when you beat my Cardinals in an utterly thrilling NLDS) so I wish them the best, but if you set the over/under for AZ at 86 wins I'd take the under.

But then they beat the Yanks in one of the best World Series ever, and one of the better David-beating-Goliath championships in the major U.S. sports in recent memory. I'll always have a soft spot for the Diamondbacks for that very reason. But yeah this year I'll take the under too.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:03 pm
Assistant Director

Gwaihir wrote:
But then they beat the Yanks in one of the best World Series ever, and one of the better David-beating-Goliath championships in the major U.S. sports in recent memory. I'll always have a soft spot for the Diamondbacks for that very reason.

Took the words right out of my mouth. :D

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:52 pm
Second Unit Director

Blonde Almond wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Not just him, either. Corbin, Jarrod Parker, Kris Medlen, Brandon Beachy, Luke Hochevar, Twins prospect Miguel Sano were all announced fairly recently. Bruce Rondon was announced today! Earlier in the spring, Cory Luebke pulled a Daniel Hudson and needs a second one before throwing another pitch in the majors. Then there's a bunch of pitchers in the process of recovering, notably Matt Harvey and Dylan Bundy. Yeesh.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:50 pm
Cinematographer

Pedro wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Not just him, either. Corbin, Jarrod Parker, Kris Medlen, Brandon Beachy, Luke Hochevar, Twins prospect Miguel Sano were all announced fairly recently. Bruce Rondon was announced today! Earlier in the spring, Cory Luebke pulled a Daniel Hudson and needs a second one before throwing another pitch in the majors. Then there's a bunch of pitchers in the process of recovering, notably Matt Harvey and Dylan Bundy. Yeesh.

It's a disturbing trend for sure.

Watching these two games was a sobering experience for me. I didn't bother to tune in for every minute, but from what I did see my team looks exactly the same as they did last year. The Dbacks need some life injected into them, or else they're just going to tread water the rest of the season. Trevor Cahill is one of the most infuriating pitchers to watch, and the thought that he's taking up a spot in the rotation that should be occupied by Archie Bradley is baffling.

At least Paul Goldschimdt showed up to play. And Mark Trumbo lived up to his billing with a homer and 4 RBIs. Those are about the only positives I can take away from all this...

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:31 am
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:
"It was just so much fun, I can't explain it," Kershaw said in his postgame interview.

"As far as individual games go, I'll remember this the rest of my life," he added as teammates dumped Gatorade him, blew soap bubbles and did a little Irish jig.

It's a game we can all remember. It was one of the greatest games ever pitched.

His final line: 9 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 15 SO, 107 pitches.

His final Game Score: 102. Here's the list of Game Scores of 100 or higher in a nine-inning game:

Kerry Wood, Cubs, 1998: 105 (1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 20 SO)
Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers, 2014: 102
Matt Cain, Giants: 2012: 101 (0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 14 SO)
Nolan Ryan, Rangers, 1991: 101 (0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 16 SO)
Sandy Koufax, Dodgers, 1965: 101 (0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 14 SO)
Brandon Morrow, Blue Jays, 2010: 100 (1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 17 SO)
Randy Johnson, D-backs, 2004: 100 (0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 13 SO)
Curt Schilling, D-backs, 2002: 100 (1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 17 SO)
Nolan Ryan, Angels, 1973: 100 (0 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 17 SO)
Nolan Ryan, Angels, 1972: 100 (1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 16 SO)
Warren Spahn, Braves, 1960: 100 (0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 15 SO)

Cain, Koufax and Johnson threw perfect games. The Game Score method doesn't subtract points for the error, only for walks, hits and runs allowed. By this measure, you can argue that Kershaw just threw the second-most dominant game in baseball history. You can debate, factor in the opponent, the prevalence of strikeouts in today's game. Still. No hits, no walks, 15 K's, only 107 pitches. Koufax threw 113 pitches in his perfect game. Cain threw 125. Johnson threw 117.

There have been others to lose perfect games due to a single error. Jonathan Sanchez of the Giants lost his in 2009 when Juan Uribe made an error in the eighth inning. Terry Mulholland of the Phillies lost his in 1990 on a seventh-inning error by Charlie Hayes, although he then induced a double play to still end up facing the minimum 27 batters. Jerry Reuss, Dick Bosman, Bill McCahan and Walter Johnson also lost perfect games due to an error.

So maybe the record books won't list this game as one of the 23 perfect games in major league history.

We'll have to settle for simply maybe the best ever.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/ ... inant-ever

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:29 pm