Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:26 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners! 
Cinematographer

Post The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners!
BEST PICTURE

BEST DIRECTOR

BEST ACTOR

BEST ACTRESS

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

BEST WRITING - ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

BEST WRITING - ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

BEST ENSEMBLE CAST

BEST ART DIRECTION

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

BEST COSTUME DESIGN

BEST FILM EDITING

BEST MAKE-UP

BEST USE OF MUSIC

BEST SOUND

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

THE MARTIN SCORSESE LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD

Roger Ebert (1st year): 13 - 100%
Alfred Hitchcock (1st year) - 76.9%

Steven Spielberg (2nd year) - 76.9%

Philip Seymour Hoffman (1st year) - 69.2%
Robert De Niro (2nd year) - 61.5%
Charlie Chaplin (2nd year) - 46.2%
Hayao Miyazaki (2nd year) - 46.2%
Joel and Ethan Coen (2nd year) - 46.2%
Meryl Streep (2nd year) - 46.2%
Roger Deakins (2nd year) - 46.2%
Walt Disney (1st year) - 46.2%
Bill Murray (2nd year) - 38.5%
Ingmar Bergman (2nd year) - 38.5%
Jimmy Stewart (2nd year) - 38.5%
Orson Welles (2nd year) - 38.5%
Werner Herzog (2nd year) - 38.5%
Christopher Walken (2nd year) - 23.1%
Gene Hackman (2nd year) - 23.1%
Nicolas Cage (2nd year) - 23.1%
Helen Mirren (1st year) - 15.4%
Max von Sydow (2nd year) - 15.4%
Paul Schrader (1st year) - 15.4%
Woody Allen (2nd year) - 15.4%
Sally Menke (2nd year) - 7.7%
Humphrey Bogart (2nd year) - 0% - no longer on ballot

VIDEO ABOUT ROGER EBERT, BY KEN
VIDEO ABOUT ALFRED HITCHCOCK, ALSO BY KEN
VIDEO ABOUT STEVEN SPIELBERG, DEFINITELY BY KEN

Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:21 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Award Winners!
Great job, Pedro (and Ken, I suppose, not having seen the videos yet). Thank you very much. The results are quite surprising in some instances, but quite intruiging. I'm looking forward to watching all these films. (I only voted for best special effects, because that was the only category in which I'd seen nearly all of the nominees).

One minor question, though: How did Bogey get 0 %? I think I remember putting him on my list. Is he eligible next year or was that his chance to win the most prestigious of awards?

Oh, and 100 % for Roger Ebert! That's class. Well done, folks.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:58 pm
Cinematographer

Unke wrote:
Great job, Pedro (and Ken, I suppose, not having seen the videos yet). Thank you very much. The results are quite surprising in some instances, but quite intruiging. I'm looking forward to watching all these films. (I only voted for best special effects, because that was the only category in which I'd seen nearly all of the nominees).

One minor question, though: How did Bogey get 0 %? I think I remember putting him on my list. Is he eligible next year or was that his chance to win the most prestigious of awards?

I didn't consider your vote or Gwaihir's because they were late. I was literally done with the visual presentation by the time you voted, man. :/ I'll consider putting him on the ballot next year, though, since you did try to vote for him. I don't know how a so-called "veteran's committee" would work since we've never had to deal with it before.

NGH, if you read this, I didn't consider your HoF vote because I felt it was incomplete. I asked you to submit more names and you never responded. :( While being incomplete is technically not against the rules, it sort of destroys what I'm trying to accomplish with these things, you know? (Were I to consider it, Roger Ebert would not be unanimous.)

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:08 pm
Director

I've seen this sort of thing happen before with awards (not the Oscars, but movie-based web sites) where one movie wins Best Picture and nothing else. It just goes to show you that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. 12 Years a Slave obviously had many, many individual elements worth singling out (acting, direction, writing, cinematography), but I wonder how many people really considered it the best film of the year (FWIW, it's #2 for me behind Fruitvale Station).

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:27 pm
Director

Almost all go as I expected. Surprised by two of them: The Wolf of Wall Street (thought Before Midnight would run away with it) and Stories We Tell (I loved it but thought people would prefer The Act of Killing more).

And thank you for hosting this, Pedro! It's been fun compiling and voting.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:31 pm
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
Unke wrote:

I didn't consider your vote or Gwaihir's because they were late. I was literally done with the visual presentation by the time you voted, man. :/ I'll consider putting him on the ballot next year, though, since you did try to vote for him. I don't know how a so-called "veteran's committee" would work since we've never had to deal with it before.

NGH, if you read this, I didn't consider your HoF vote because I felt it was incomplete. I asked you to submit more names and you never responded. :( While being incomplete is technically not against the rules, it sort of destroys what I'm trying to accomplish with these things, you know? (Were I to consider it, Roger Ebert would not be unanimous.)

Late is Late, that's fair enough. Sorry about that, i Sent The PM on saturday afternoon (14:30ish CET) and Figured that it would reach you in Time, me Living in The future and all. I g

Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:44 pm
Producer

Dayum. Minus the movies that won that I didn't see, I cleaned up pretty well this year.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:16 pm
Assistant Director

Thank you for your efforts, Pedro. I suppose I should thank those who voted, too: truly, the boys here make me one happy Pedrophile.

Very little commentary:

-Cool that the lead actress went to Adèle Exarchopoulos. Maybe a bit surprising since it seemed that only three or so people saw it.

- Michael Fassbender wasn't as impressive to me as he was to y'all. Now Chiwetel Ejiofor I completely understand.

- The unanimous selection of Ebert is pretty nifty.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:07 pm
Producer

KWRoss wrote:
I've seen this sort of thing happen before with awards (not the Oscars, but movie-based web sites) where one movie wins Best Picture and nothing else. It just goes to show you that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. 12 Years a Slave obviously had many, many individual elements worth singling out (acting, direction, writing, cinematography), but I wonder how many people really considered it the best film of the year (FWIW, it's #2 for me behind Fruitvale Station).

You're onto something, for sure. The craftsmanship of 12 Years A Slave is impeccable. In fact, I'm not sure I can think of ways it could be better. Maybe a more original, better-developed score...

But Wolf of Wall Street crackles with energy. It pours off the screen in a way that can't be pinned down to any individual area of craft. It's something that I'm sure the filmmakers felt together, something in the material that they vibed from, and that vibe is infectious.

It's also a deceptively challenging movie. Not that 12 Years A Slave isn't challenging, but it's challenging in a different way. The most pressing issue about slavery now, I think, is that we wish we could forget it, or at least safely relegate it to the pages of ancient history. But you know what they say about those who forget history... and this particular piece of history is one of the most shameful accomplishments of western civilization.

But we can at the very least unanimously agree on the issue presented in 12 Years A Slave. You'd be hard-pressed to find someone on the other side of it, someone with a more nuanced reaction to it. The Wolf of Wall Street is different. The Wolf of Wall Street contains moral ambiguity of the most discomforting kind. It's a movie not just about the problems of now, but the problems of the future, and it implicates everybody in those problems. Not by preaching or moralizing, but by showing how civilization can be devastated by simple weaknesses that we all share. It drags us in, doesn't allow us to compartmentalize it into a Very Special Message, forces us to see things from a perspective within ourselves that we'd rather not acknowledge.

Scorsese and Co. have never stopped making good movies, but it's been a while since they made one that really dug in, like The Wolf of Wall Street does. It's a vital film.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:48 pm
Producer

Pedro wrote:
Unke wrote:

Aye, sorry about that

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:40 pm
Second Unit Director

Pedro, I'm guessing the particularly "goofy" result you referred to in the Nominations thread was American Hustle's Ensemble win, considering that only Adams had a nomination while 12 Years a Slave won 3 acting awards? That is interesting, though I actually agree with it. There's no bad performance in American Hustle and many good to very good ones, but IMO Brad Pitt sticks out like a sore thumb in 12 Years a Slave, to mention one subpar performance in that film. I didn't even nominate it in that category myself for that reason. (There's also Wolf of Wall Street's win, but I agree with Ken's explanation on that one.)

I expected AE to win Best Actress, though I still think Blanchett's performance was vastly superior. The Academy got that one right (though AE certainly deserved to be nominated). Also it's kinda cool that we agreed with Oscar on Best Director.

So, so, so happy Her won Art Direction and Prisoners Cinematography! If they hadn't and my missing the deadline had caused them to lose, I'd have been very unhappy. So thank you guys! Great job voting in my absence! I was trying to hold out and watch Inside Llewyn Davis before I voted, but wouldn't you know it? I misplaced it and still haven't watched it. (It's times like these I'm glad Netflix has no late fees.) Hopefully next year. This was fun!

FWIW, Ebert still would've been unanimous if I'd voted on time.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:14 pm
Cinematographer

Unke: Strange, I received your ballot on Sunday.

Gwaihir: I was mostly referring to The Wolf of Wall Street, which won by one vote. It would otherwise be Her. (If Before Midnight were not a Best Picture nominee, I would have voted for The Wolf of Wall Street. Maybe it's not as goofy as all that.) I suppose it's a little odd that American Hustle won Best Ensemble Cast in light of the strong, Pedro-winning acting in 12 Years a Slave, but... I don't know, these things happen. *burp*

NGH: It's okay.

Mark: I used to be called Pedrophile in high school, fairly regularly.

I think what I'm going to do for Humphrey Bogart is ban him from Hall of Fame consideration for anywhere between one and three years. From my understanding, the way baseball handles this is they have a rotating cycle of three different committees for three separate eras meet every every three years. The Expansion Era Committee voted for this past cycle, so next cycle they'll have either the Golden Era Committee or the Pre-Integration Committee. While we could set up committees, I think that would lead to a mess of what we're trying to do here. Obviously Humphrey Bogart's a Hall of Fame-worthy actor, but if he doesn't mean anything to us, why should he be in it? *lightbulb* Here's what we do:

0. Receive two votes from anyone during the initial nominating phase and you'll be listed for Hall of Fame consideration.
1. Get 75% of the vote or higher and you're in. Hooray for you.
2. Get anywhere between 5% and 74.99% of the vote and you get to stay on the ballot for up to fifteen years.
3a. Get less than 5% of the vote and you are eradicated from the following year's ballot.
3b. You can be voted on the year following the following year, but you must get 75% of the vote. There's no staying on the ballot. You're either in or out.
3c. Repeat ad nauseum. If Humphrey Bogart doesn't make it in 2016, he can try again in 2018 and so on until he gets in. Maybe at a certain point I'll be like "no man you can't" or "jeez get in there already" but probably not.
4. If you're on the ballot for fifteen years and you don't make it, you can try again in two years a la the folks who didn't get 5% of the vote.

This year's Pedro's were the least rewarding for me. I'm pleased by the people who did vote but extremely disappointed by certain people who didn't, particularly the ones who were involved in the FYC thread. I suppose life gets in the way or whatever, but I want the results to be as representative as possible. I'll keep on keepin' on, though. I want to see if any Hall of Fame people stay on the ballot for fifteen years.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:07 pm
Producer

Damn. I should have voted. Because then Her might've won. Because that is what I would have voted for in best picture. Or does that mean it would have been a tie instead?

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:22 pm
Cinematographer

ilovemovies wrote:
Damn. I should have voted. Because then Her might've won. Because that is what I would have voted for in best picture. Or does that mean it would have been a tie instead?

The way I handle tiebreakers now is I use the whoever accrued the most point value in the nomination process. Her would've won.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:30 pm
Producer

In 15 years, we'll be submitting our votes via HeadNet from our various offworld colonies.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:43 pm
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
Unke: Strange, I received your ballot on Sunday.
I think what I'm going to do for Humphrey Bogart is ban him from Hall of Fame consideration for anywhere between one and three years. From my understanding, the way baseball handles this is they have a rotating cycle of three different committees for three separate eras meet every every three years. The Expansion Era Committee voted for this past cycle, so next cycle they'll have either the Golden Era Committee or the Pre-Integration Committee. While we could set up committees, I think that would lead to a mess of what we're trying to do here. Obviously Humphrey Bogart's a Hall of Fame-worthy actor, but if he doesn't mean anything to us, why should he be in it? *lightbulb* Here's what we do:

0. Receive two votes from anyone during the initial nominating phase and you'll be listed for Hall of Fame consideration.
1. Get 75% of the vote or higher and you're in. Hooray for you.
2. Get anywhere between 5% and 74.99% of the vote and you get to stay on the ballot for up to fifteen years.
3a. Get less than 5% of the vote and you are eradicated from the following year's ballot.
3b. You can be voted on the year following the following year, but you must get 75% of the vote. There's no staying on the ballot. You're either in or out.
3c. Repeat ad nauseum. If Humphrey Bogart doesn't make it in 2016, he can try again in 2018 and so on until he gets in. Maybe at a certain point I'll be like "no man you can't" or "jeez get in there already" but probably not.
4. If you're on the ballot for fifteen years and you don't make it, you can try again in two years a la the folks who didn't get 5% of the vote.

Sounds like a good idea.

I checked my sent PMs, by the way, and the message did indeed get sent on Sunday (when I wasn't home and didn't have access to a computer) rather than Saturday, when I wrote it. Now, the last time I sent a PM it was lingering in my Outbox for ages, although I received the confirmation "message successfully sent". I guess that something like this might have happened here as well. Nevermind, it's my own fault for sending the vote on deadline day. I just wanted to make sure that you're not annoyed about my tardiness; I had reason to believe that I was on time.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:01 am
Gaffer

Ebert's contribution to cinema eclipses that of Chaplin?

I am speechless.

The inclusion of Roger Deakins onto the nominating list is class. There's not enough respect for cinematographers out there (here for sure but in general, no).

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:17 pm
Producer

Bondurant wrote:

You know that's not what this is about.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:32 pm
Gaffer

Ken wrote:
Bondurant wrote:

You know that's not what this is about.

Looking over the list of names I have no clue as to what this was about. The Ebert angle isn't difficult to figure out but in a discussion of lifetime achievement in cinema, Chaplin shouldn't even be a discussion (let alone a holdover).

It's no big deal. This is all in fun.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:47 pm
Gaffer

It's interesting that contrary to the Academy, the Pedros award best picture and director to two different films every time. The Wolf of Wall Street winning best picture and nothing else is strange, cool but strange. Well, this happened with the Academy in the teething stages (Grand Hotel). The near sweep in the acting categories by 12 Years A Slave is impressive. Gravity wins the most with 4, followed by 12 Years A Slave and American Hustle with 3 apiece. We need more people to vote next year!

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:15 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next