Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:24 am

Scenes that stick with you from films that don't matter 
Second Unit Director

Post Scenes that stick with you from films that don't matter
When I was nine or ten, I went to Disneyland for several days. I was still building up bodily endurance, so on one of those days I decided to take a night off and chill at the hotel. I remember being alone, but that may not have been the case considering I was nine or ten. I turned on the Disney channel, which I wouldn't watch at home. I was strictly a Nickelodeon man. I'm not sure if my OCD was like "You're at Disneyland, no one will know you're not watching Nickelodeon" or what, but on it was. It was a TV movie: On Promised Land. I remember literally nothing about it. I thought it was about slavery and I am not correct. However, one scene lingers in my memory banks, haunting me for the rest of my life.

There's a little kid who just fucked up somehow. I don't know what he did. He could have stolen cookies from the cookie jar or pulled a cow's udder too hard. Whatever the action, it provoked quite a response from whom I'm assuming is his father. He pauses upon realizing what happened, and then proceeds to repeat "god damn it" and "what the hell" over and over again. It felt like several minutes. The kid gets frightened because he turned a grown-ass man into an exasperated repeating machine. Everything works out fine, don't even worry about it. It's Disney.

onehundredthirtyseven on IMDB says, "This was a great movie, and its a shame disney wont show it anymore," and, "PUT THIS DAMN THING ON DVD." As far as I can see, it's nowhere to be found on the internet. I don't really care about the movie; it's the impact of that one scene that's stuck with me over the years. It's a little strange that I don't remember much else about it, but then again, it was almost fifteen years ago.

Do y'all good folks have anything like this in your cinematic existence?

Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:27 pm
Auteur

Post Re: Scenes that stick with you from films that don't matter
One time when I was home alone as a kid, I saw a movie/TV show(not sure which) where one woman's father was trying to drown her boyfriend in the pool or something like that(I think it was after he caught them having sex), I only watched a few minutes of it and I never knew what exactly it was that I saw, but it sure stuck with me.

There is one Nickelodeon made for TV movie that wasn't shown for years since it's premire called "Crybaby Lane" supposedly it got pulled either due to poor ratings or calls from parents saying the film was "too scary". Then someone posted the film on Youtube, and Nick finally re-aired the film and put it out on DVD.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:00 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
One time when I was home alone as a kid, I saw a movie/TV show(not sure which) where one woman's father was trying to drown her boyfriend in the pool or something like that(I think it was after he caught them having sex), I only watched a few minutes of it and I never knew what exactly it was that I saw, but it sure stuck with me.

There is one Nickelodeon made for TV movie that wasn't shown for years since it's premire called "Crybaby Lane" supposedly it got pulled either due to poor ratings or calls from parents saying the film was "too scary". Then someone posted the film on Youtube, and Nick finally re-aired the film and put it out on DVD.

I figured you were a fellow-CryBaby Lane watcher. I remember watching it the very night it aired and taping it on VHS. Then I brought the VHS to school, we watched it in class, one of my fellow 3rd graders freaked the hell out and the teacher shut it off. Great childhood memory. Nickelodeon knew how to do camp.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:33 pm
Assistant Director

There are a number of isolated scenes and images that I saw as a young chap that have stayed with me, many of them inaccurately -- horror movies, especially those I braved scenes of in my early youth, have proved unreliably indelible. The "bear suit" moment in The Shining, the extended transformation in An American Werewolf in London, the last moment of Invasion of the Body Snatchers were all remembered before I saw them play out differently and in their appropriate context. Maybe that's for another thread.

There are two scenes that fit the thread's purpose. I had remembered through the years a disturbing moment where a kid is playing on the wrong side of a railing above a waterfall, the game going south when he falls. Very distressing memory of the scene, trauma that the kid was allowed to play this way and allowed to fall to his death. I couldn't get it out of my mind until the memory of the specifics faded and so the intensity of the scene. It was only a few years ago that I went through the first two Superman movies and there it was: that scene, could have been from any movie, was from Superman II. I remembered everything more or less accurately save for the most essential fact: the kid doesn't fall to his death, he's saved. I must remember to bring this information to the next psychiatrist I visit. I found it (or a portion thereof) on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSv8iNuvnpg

The other is related and would disturb me randomly, get recalled as I was drifting off to sleep and give me a slight panic as the sensation came back. I refer to the actual falls-to-the-death scene that begins Cliffhanger. It was a really heavy moment for me when I saw it in the theater, feeling particularly unsafe when Day Out With Dad started with a movie that started with that frightening moment. I would thereafter imagine what it would be like to fall to one's death, having enough time to contemplate what was happening and what was going to happen only seconds before it all ended. How horrible.

The "neglectful parents" angle I brought to the first one is something I've gotten away from, presumably because I am a parent and don't spend a lot of my waking life mourning the great childhood I could have had but didn't. Still, I find it interesting that I misremembered that scene to such psychologically revealing lengths. The second scene or the sensation that came with it is something that was probably inevitable, something that all people experience in some form in order to satisfy some neurological demand for definition. Whatever it may be, that same feeling has come on many times and always gets cross referenced with Cliffhanger's opening moments.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:56 am
Producer

I remember you mentioning that bear scene from The Shining previously. You're right, it is horrible, they way the camera pans in at them.

But yeah, good thread. I have a few such scenes.

When my mate and I were 9 or 10, we used to sneak videos out of a locked suitcase under his Dad's bed, and watch stuff like Kickboxer and Bloodsport. Anyway, one Friday night we took AWOL, and right there and then it occurred to be why 9 year olds probably shouldn't watch 18 rated films. The scene at the beginning when Van Damme's brother is burned to death by that gang without a shadow of a doubt permanently, mentally scarred me for life. I'm not exaggerating one bit to say I had years of post-traumatic stress after watching that. For an age I'd leave the room if I saw fire on screen, and even now I instinctively avoid films like Backdraft if they're on the TV.

That's probably the worst example.

And I'll tell you another example. Much, much more recent. And from a very good film. The baseball beating death scene in Inglorious Bastards is just horrific. I'm not ashamed to say that I fast forward through that.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:02 am
Auteur

Over in the U.S. AWOL is known as Lionheart, but yeah I can see why that particular scene would be traumatic.

I tend to fast-forward through rape scenes, Irreverisble was one of the absolute worst, there was really no artistic reason for it to be so long, that film convinced me that Gasper Noe was a total hack filmmaker.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:15 am
Gaffer

The opening credits scene from "Cruel Intentions" with the aerial shot that initially shows us a cemetery and then moves to the protagonist passing by in his car in a nearby highway, while Placebo's "Every you & every me" plays.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:52 pm
Assistant Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
The baseball beating death scene in Inglorious Bastards is just horrific. I'm not ashamed to say that I fast forward through that.

It really is as awful as it was intended to be. It's the only scene in that movie that stops everything, where the tone shifts into territory that Tarantino films never go. I think the scene is incredible but won't deny that it's something that has to be braced for.

Vexer wrote:
I tend to fast-forward through rape scenes, Irreverisble was one of the absolute worst, there was really no artistic reason for it to be so long, that film convinced me that Gasper Noe was a total hack filmmaker.

Shmeh. He's no hack. Doesn't that mean his vision is that of a dullard? I'll meet you halfway and say that Noe's a provocateur that flirts insanely with pretense but there isn't anything in his sometimes nauseating movies that could be called unoriginal: he's got a vision, fucked up as it may be. Enter The Void, flawed to the nines, is among the most original movies I've ever seen. His stuff may be unpleasant, it may not be entertaining, it may be loathsome but it is certainly not the product of a hack. Never.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:18 pm
Producer

I only remember three things from Air Force One: "What about my family?", "Get off my plane!", and the wire-cutting scene.

But this GIF will stick with me forever.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:45 pm
Second Unit Director

Not sure about the "don't matter" part, but there is one scene in Enchanted where Amy Adams' character experiences anger for the first time ever in her life. Her face and gestures show her confusion and elation at "feeling" the anger and the actual anger itself.

Edit: Found a clip here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVADyXM2f_A

Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:32 pm
Assistant Director

Awf Hand wrote:
Not sure about the "don't matter" part, but there is one scene in Enchanted where Amy Adams' character experiences anger for the first time ever in her life. Her face and gestures show her confusion and elation at "feeling" the anger and the actual anger itself.

Edit: Found a clip here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVADyXM2f_A

Amy Adams, born for the Disney musical.

Patrick Dempsey probably watches that clip on loop, shaving his face only when he can't stand to look at himself in the mirror and face the reminder that he turned into a ghost without even having had to die first.

Cute clip!

Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:58 pm
Assistant Director

K^en wrote:

May the internet work its magic and create a Mischievous Harrison Ford meme. What kind of shenanigans will he be poking his head into? Get to work!

Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:04 pm
Auteur

Mark III wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
The baseball beating death scene in Inglorious Bastards is just horrific. I'm not ashamed to say that I fast forward through that.

It really is as awful as it was intended to be. It's the only scene in that movie that stops everything, where the tone shifts into territory that Tarantino films never go. I think the scene is incredible but won't deny that it's something that has to be braced for.

Vexer wrote:

Shmeh. He's no hack. Doesn't that mean his vision is that of a dullard? I'll meet you halfway and say that Noe's a provocateur that flirts insanely with pretense but there isn't anything in his sometimes nauseating movies that could be called unoriginal: he's got a vision, fucked up as it may be. Enter The Void, flawed to the nines, is among the most original movies I've ever seen. His stuff may be unpleasant, it may not be entertaining, it may be loathsome but it is certainly not the product of a hack. Never.

Whether a director is a hack is one's opinion, and it's my opinion that Noe is indeed a hack, a visionary hack maybe, but still a hack nonetheless IMO.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:56 pm
Assistant Director

Attachment:
cowboy_corg.jpg
cowboy_corg.jpg [ 22.21 KiB | Viewed 523 times ]

Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:18 pm
Cinematographer

A scene from some Chuck Norris movie where a store was being robbed. Some foul POS couldn't get an old ladies wedding ring off so he pulls out some wire cutters. They don't show the action, but with the next scene showing EMTs wheeling out the old lady with a bandaged hand, they might as well have.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:56 pm
Producer

Mark III wrote:
Attachment:
cowboy_corg.jpg

My god, that's cute.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:01 pm
Auteur

CasualDad wrote:
A scene from some Chuck Norris movie where a store was being robbed. Some foul POS couldn't get an old ladies wedding ring off so he pulls out some wire cutters. They don't show the action, but with the next scene showing EMTs wheeling out the old lady with a bandaged hand, they might as well have.

That was from the film "Forced Vengeance".

Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:11 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Speaking of Chuck Norris....

I don't know the movie, but the guy is tied up to a chair and gets a bag of rats or rat tied over his head as torture. I must have been 9 or 10 years old when they showed this shit on TV.

It messes with you when you're a kid like that man. Like Pedro said...it sticks.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:48 pm
Producer

I've seen that. Chuck eats the rat.

Might as well call him Upchuck Norris.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:53 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Ho shit that's right! Somehow that part I forgot, but not the part where blood starts appearing on the bag.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:36 pm