Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:05 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
What would you like to see in your lifetime? 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: What would you like to see in your lifetime?
Mark III wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:
Beef has acted the college, fratboy bellend for months

I diagnose 3 months in a Manchester community college. He'll have an ass like a wizard's sleeve.

Spineless swines! Cemented minds!

Oh, are Manchester schools still run by belligerent ghouls? I thought caning was outlawed since the mid-1980ies.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:12 am
Producer

No. Mark is slightly mistaken in this.

Being brutalised from up the hierarchy is a middle and upper class thing.

My comment was on how the, shall we say, lower echelon colleges around Manchester would respond to having a fratting cowboy like roastbeef in their midst.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:35 am
Cinematographer

I'd like to see my children grow up to be good people. Only a very small help to Balaji's issue, but the only realistic one I can hope for.

An actual practical alternative to fossil fuels that is capable of at least keeping current efficiencies. May not matter anyway if the world population keeps growing, but at least there would be hope.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:46 am
Assistant Director

Everything I learned about the UK I learned from Morrissey. If I'm mistaken, it's the fault of that nippleless* man.

*Everything I learned about Morrissey I learned from a Smiths fan in Seattle. He once told me Morrissey had his nipples surgically removed. This sounded believable.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:31 pm
Producer

Mark III wrote:
Everything I learned about the UK I learned from Morrissey. If I'm mistaken, it's the fault of that nippleless* man.

*Everything I learned about Morrissey I learned from a Smiths fan in Seattle. He once told me Morrissey had his nipples surgically removed. This sounded believable.

Morrisey is an odd case to say the least. Apart from the whole asexual thing, he tends to periodically omit statements that are in direct contrast to one-another.

Another strange thing about the whole Manchester music fraternity, is how reactionary they have become in their old age. Last year I read that even Noel Gallagher was lamenting Thatcher's political demise.

Here is the link if you're interested - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive ... tcher.html

Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:45 am
Assistant Director

To keep the thread on track, those of us who wished Noel Gallagher and Damon Albarn would kiss and make up, put aside all the wishes for "catching AIDS" and photo-op football matches on the eve of 'Country House' and whatever it was Oasis was selling, are now living in the golden age.

I read parts of the interview -- the press is just as nostalgic as any aging rock star -- and it confirmed what we all know, that which is last to run through the minds of rock stars: you're always going to look back and remember the utopia that was. Even Bowie, capricious chameleon, put it on the cover of his last album thereby proving that times were changing back.

I think Gallagher's expressing something that goes unsaid: the halcyon years retard us all. Morrissey got cheers when, at a show, he mentioned that Reagan had died. Now? Noel Gallagher, punchy squirt who aped working class appeal while getting satisfied by women who were renting Cristal from him, is talking of the better days when Margaret Thatcher did well by the country. Joe Strummer would have his head caved in for that.

This is political awakening, late. And gentle. Some become rabid republicans in the wake of WTC attacks, some become mobilized by t-shirts on the common lawn at Moseby Community College at South Buffalo. Gallagher is casting that same eye back to a simpler time where boyhood doesn't look like two grown men punching one another over who gets the last line off the mirror. We all experience this, it's really a matter of when.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:33 pm
Producer

Gallagher and Albarn have already made up. They now both gang up on 'One Direction' ... seriously. If that isn't an embrace of better-in-our-days nostalgia, i'm not sure what is.

I agree with most of the rest of your typically well-written rant.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:14 pm
Director

I'm not sure that Noel is saying he agreed with Thatcher's policies. The gist I got was that the hatred of Thatcher among the UK's artists was so strong that it generated some great work. And of course, he's absolutely right.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:27 pm
Producer

Well yeah. His gist is that having an enemy like her gave the working class a kick up the ass. How much that may be true is another matter

Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:01 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Whilst he's been mentioned, I would just like to add that I really, really dislike Morrissey and almost anything to do with him, including The Smiths.

Oh, but Something is Squeezing My Skull is an excellent song.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:11 am
Assistant Director

I like The Smiths okay though I haven't listened to them for many years. Morrissey's lyrics had a way of sometimes undermining the music the rest of the guys came up with. For example, the beautiful melody that is 'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others' is compromised by the throwaway lyrics featuring the awful title repeated over and over. Love the music, hate the words, like the vocal melody, hate the words. This happens a lot with The Smiths (and happened later with Belle & Sebastian): too jokey, too knowing, too smarmy.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:11 pm
Producer

I like Johnny Marr's guitar playing, but Morrissey is someone I never understood the hype about. Not an enormously soulful or technically skilled singer, seems to lean a lot on half-baked melodies, forgettable lyrics... maybe he's one of those singers who trades heavily on having an extreme personality.

What I would like to see in my lifetime is an explanation for what the hell it is about this guy that draws people in.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:45 pm
Producer

I guess there is a hardcore, but in reality tiny, sect who think he's a lyrical genius. But these people are the scientologists of the music world. Mad

His appeal? - Nostalgia. Ironically something that at one time he'd have claimed to despise. Perhaps this is the source of his confusion.

I've never loved The Smiths. They have some catchy tunes hidden in their works, but they never did it for me.

And this is from a guy who liked fucking 'Suede'

Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:01 pm
Assistant Director

Morrissey fans come in three contigents:
1) Teens and young college kids who hear his words and feel they're hearing a compatriot from the land of Gloom. Both Morrissey and these fans are likely to cut themselves in inconspicuous locations in order to better vent their pain.

2) Teens and young college kids who hear his words and feel they're laughing alongside an ironic observer of human foible, who chuckle at the insincere gravity of being pleased that one's girlfriend is in a coma. Both Morrissey and these fans are likely to see something comic in someone who cuts themselves in inconspicuous locations in order to better vent their pain.

3) People over the age of 30 who possess the same musical taste they had when they cut themselves and later laughed about it. Or still cry about it. Either way, they're talking to an expensive therapist about it for 45 minutes two times each week.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:20 pm
Director

I like The Smiths, and I don't see a shrink.

Morrissey is indeed insufferable at times, but I do love the guitar playing of Johnny Marr. Oh, and "Everyday is Like Sunday" is glorious.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:47 pm
Producer

The Smiths never got their claws into me. And I've had a fettish for a great many bands in the past.

The chasm between their reputation and the actual consistent quality of their output is large, and whilst this is nothing new with bands, the whole Smiths movement (middle-class students pretending to be working class heroes) alienated me somewhat.

Still, this does rock - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIHOZOZYIHs

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:59 am
Assistant Director

It will always rock more than Suede. Or The London Suede, as they were packaged here.

Here they come, the beautiful ones... la la la la la la la

I long ago posted here about my love and admiration of Blur, still the band my stunted tastes turn toward when I'm feeling like I've peaked. I can recognize that they were smarmy on the worst of days, can see the posturing about the working class but I cannot deny them their catch. I guess, in my lifetimes, it'd be nice if they'd put out a new album or at least got together to play something other than a bunch of a-sides. First major release in a decade and it was another greatest hits package. Played the songs slower, too. I listened to a little Londony Suedes when I went through a brief anglophile period in the late 90s (my roommates were more in the know than I ever was) and can still hum parts of She's Not Dead and maybe one other off the first. That guy's voice was hilarious to me.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:34 pm
Producer

I revisited Blur via their Greatest Hits album about 5 years ago, and I was amazed at how good they really were. Pop sure, but they covered a broad spectrum of sounds and styles and executed them sublimely well.

London Suede hey?! I watched them live in 1997 as a 15 year old on the cusp of a career in drinking cheap wine. They were pretty shite on the night.

Great era for British music though. The mid-90s were like a utopia, before the machine of pre-fabricated pop stamped on the face of music for the next decade.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:12 pm
Assistant Director

Yes, London Suede. Was a freshman in college when I first heard what was their comeback album, this fruit glossy thing called Coming Up. My roommate was a fan of their second album but their third, in celebration of its US release, got worn down in favor of what I was told was a "great album", one I've still never heard. That first record was my attempt to be cool like Ted was. I sometimes wonder whatever happened to Menswear, Cast and The Boo Radleys. Not often, do I wonder. I never actually wonder. Still have a mix CD somewhere with songs by 90s UK artists that time has forgotten. Or at least I have forgotten.

I'm still older than you, NotHugh. Did those in the UK ever go through a Sugar Ray phase? Sneaker Pimps? Remember them? Fuck. 1997 doesn't seem all that long ago. I haven't spoken to those first year roommates for over a decade.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:25 pm
Producer

Mark III wrote:
Yes, London Suede. Was a freshman in college when I first heard what was their comeback album, this fruit glossy thing called Coming Up. My roommate was a fan of their second album but their third, in celebration of its US release, got worn down in favor of what I was told was a "great album", one I've still never heard. That first record was my attempt to be cool like Ted was. I sometimes wonder whatever happened to Menswear, Cast and The Boo Radleys. Not often, do I wonder. I never actually wonder. Still have a mix CD somewhere with songs by 90s UK artists that time has forgotten. Or at least I have forgotten.

I'm still older than you, NotHugh. Did those in the UK ever go through a Sugar Ray phase? Sneaker Pimps? Remember them? Fuck. 1997 doesn't seem all that long ago. I haven't spoken to those first year roommates for over a decade.

I just typed as lengthy response and pressed the fucking windows key, shit!

Anyway, yes, it was the Coming Up tour I watched Suede. We must have been mad, in retrospect.

But yeah, Indie was systematically killed by the industry. I went to school 93-98, and in this time we had the last days of the good dance movement, then Oasis, Blur, Pulp, Cast, Ocean Colour Scene, Charlatans, Ash, the Stone Roses weren't long dead, Travis, Embrace, Stereophonics, Manic Street Preachers - we took it for granted this would be forever. But it didn't. The industry went into artificial pop overdrive. Within 2 years or less, the grander movement, the consensus that music should have standards, was killed. Stamped on, burned, then the ashes buried at sea.

Now we have One Direction winning awards for covering Blondie records.

Brave New World

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:51 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5