Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread... 
Director

Post Re: So I think it's about time we had a baseball thread...
Vegas Odds for the 2014 World Series!

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:29 pm
Director

so the MLB season starts late tomorrow night in Australia. in a cricket stadium. Dodgers-Diamondbacks. curious what sort of turnout they get.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:18 pm
Critic

calvero wrote:
so the MLB season starts late tomorrow night in Australia. in a cricket stadium. Dodgers-Diamondbacks. curious what sort of turnout they get.

Do you know whether it's going to be on TV here? I can't seem to find out

Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:54 pm
Critic

Found it -- MLB network, but not ESPN. Lame.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:26 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:

That is lame. You would think these opening games would be made available to just about everyone.

First game starts at 1:00 am Saturday my time. I don't think I'll be able to last the whole way through, but I'll stay awake long enough to catch the beginning. Unfortunately our #1 starter Patrick Corbin is staring Tommy John in the face, big blow for my team...

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

Blonde Almond wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

That is lame. You would think these opening games would be made available to just about everyone.

First game starts at 1:00 am Saturday my time. I don't think I'll be able to last the whole way through, but I'll stay awake long enough to catch the beginning. Unfortunately our #1 starter Patrick Corbin is staring Tommy John in the face, big blow for my team...

I've always liked your team (except in 2001 when you beat my Cardinals in an utterly thrilling NLDS) so I wish them the best, but if you set the over/under for AZ at 86 wins I'd take the under.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:55 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
I've always liked your team (except in 2001 when you beat my Cardinals in an utterly thrilling NLDS) so I wish them the best, but if you set the over/under for AZ at 86 wins I'd take the under.

But then they beat the Yanks in one of the best World Series ever, and one of the better David-beating-Goliath championships in the major U.S. sports in recent memory. I'll always have a soft spot for the Diamondbacks for that very reason. But yeah this year I'll take the under too.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:03 pm
Director

Gwaihir wrote:
But then they beat the Yanks in one of the best World Series ever, and one of the better David-beating-Goliath championships in the major U.S. sports in recent memory. I'll always have a soft spot for the Diamondbacks for that very reason.

Took the words right out of my mouth. :D

Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:52 pm
Cinematographer

Blonde Almond wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Not just him, either. Corbin, Jarrod Parker, Kris Medlen, Brandon Beachy, Luke Hochevar, Twins prospect Miguel Sano were all announced fairly recently. Bruce Rondon was announced today! Earlier in the spring, Cory Luebke pulled a Daniel Hudson and needs a second one before throwing another pitch in the majors. Then there's a bunch of pitchers in the process of recovering, notably Matt Harvey and Dylan Bundy. Yeesh.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:50 pm
Cinematographer

Pedro wrote:
Blonde Almond wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Not just him, either. Corbin, Jarrod Parker, Kris Medlen, Brandon Beachy, Luke Hochevar, Twins prospect Miguel Sano were all announced fairly recently. Bruce Rondon was announced today! Earlier in the spring, Cory Luebke pulled a Daniel Hudson and needs a second one before throwing another pitch in the majors. Then there's a bunch of pitchers in the process of recovering, notably Matt Harvey and Dylan Bundy. Yeesh.

It's a disturbing trend for sure.

Watching these two games was a sobering experience for me. I didn't bother to tune in for every minute, but from what I did see my team looks exactly the same as they did last year. The Dbacks need some life injected into them, or else they're just going to tread water the rest of the season. Trevor Cahill is one of the most infuriating pitchers to watch, and the thought that he's taking up a spot in the rotation that should be occupied by Archie Bradley is baffling.

At least Paul Goldschimdt showed up to play. And Mark Trumbo lived up to his billing with a homer and 4 RBIs. Those are about the only positives I can take away from all this...

Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:31 am
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:
"It was just so much fun, I can't explain it," Kershaw said in his postgame interview.

"As far as individual games go, I'll remember this the rest of my life," he added as teammates dumped Gatorade him, blew soap bubbles and did a little Irish jig.

It's a game we can all remember. It was one of the greatest games ever pitched.

His final line: 9 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 15 SO, 107 pitches.

His final Game Score: 102. Here's the list of Game Scores of 100 or higher in a nine-inning game:

Kerry Wood, Cubs, 1998: 105 (1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 20 SO)
Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers, 2014: 102
Matt Cain, Giants: 2012: 101 (0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 14 SO)
Nolan Ryan, Rangers, 1991: 101 (0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 16 SO)
Sandy Koufax, Dodgers, 1965: 101 (0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 14 SO)
Brandon Morrow, Blue Jays, 2010: 100 (1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 17 SO)
Randy Johnson, D-backs, 2004: 100 (0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 13 SO)
Curt Schilling, D-backs, 2002: 100 (1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 17 SO)
Nolan Ryan, Angels, 1973: 100 (0 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 17 SO)
Nolan Ryan, Angels, 1972: 100 (1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 16 SO)
Warren Spahn, Braves, 1960: 100 (0 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 15 SO)

Cain, Koufax and Johnson threw perfect games. The Game Score method doesn't subtract points for the error, only for walks, hits and runs allowed. By this measure, you can argue that Kershaw just threw the second-most dominant game in baseball history. You can debate, factor in the opponent, the prevalence of strikeouts in today's game. Still. No hits, no walks, 15 K's, only 107 pitches. Koufax threw 113 pitches in his perfect game. Cain threw 125. Johnson threw 117.

There have been others to lose perfect games due to a single error. Jonathan Sanchez of the Giants lost his in 2009 when Juan Uribe made an error in the eighth inning. Terry Mulholland of the Phillies lost his in 1990 on a seventh-inning error by Charlie Hayes, although he then induced a double play to still end up facing the minimum 27 batters. Jerry Reuss, Dick Bosman, Bill McCahan and Walter Johnson also lost perfect games due to an error.

So maybe the record books won't list this game as one of the 23 perfect games in major league history.

We'll have to settle for simply maybe the best ever.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/ ... inant-ever

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:29 pm
Director

Been a while since we've said anything on this thread. How's everyone feeling about their team? In my case, with Oakland's recent struggles and the Angels' loss of one of their best pitchers, my O's have a shot at home-field advantage throughout the playoffs! Never in my wildest delusions did I think this was possible at the start of the season.

Also, props to MLB for allowing the Giants and Cubs to finish that rain-shortened game.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:35 am
Cinematographer

Haven't been paying much attention lately. I'm a Cardinals fan and lived in St. Louis for 7 years back in the 80's. Finally got to go to a game in their current stadium last month and really like the ballpark and the way they developed the area immediately around it. They're hanging in playoff contention, but not exactly firing up the expectations. Hoping they get into the playoff where their experience may show an edge. Kolten Wong has been a heckeva kick. He's inconsistent and streaky just like the team is, but every time I catch a game he looks like he's setting the world on fire.

Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:55 am
Critic

CasualDad wrote:
Haven't been paying much attention lately. I'm a Cardinals fan and lived in St. Louis for 7 years back in the 80's. Finally got to go to a game in their current stadium last month and really like the ballpark and the way they developed the area immediately around it. They're hanging in playoff contention, but not exactly firing up the expectations. Hoping they get into the playoff where their experience may show an edge. Kolten Wong has been a heckeva kick. He's inconsistent and streaky just like the team is, but every time I catch a game he looks like he's setting the world on fire.

Yeah I'm a Cardinals fan too and this has been a frustrating year. I don't really agree that Wong has been a huge kick though. He can occasionally produce, but the guy is hitting in the 2 hole and getting on base less than 30% of the time

Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:07 pm
Cinematographer

The past two years of Giants baseball have been extremely up and down. Last season, we were in first place for a little while, but eventually lost ground to the Dodgers. On the last day before the All-Star break, Tim Lincecum threw a no-hitter. Hey, maybe things are going to turn around. Maybe that's what momentum is. The rest of baseball responded with a resounding "lol" and proceeded to beat us into non-contention. In September, Yusmeiro Petit went from minor league free agent [who was designated for assignment by the Giants at one point] to the author of a near-perfect game. He would have been the most random pitcher to throw a perfect game since Philip Humber, which was only a year and a half earlier. Instead, he blew it on the 27th out, which is actually a lot rarer than the folks who got the 27th out. In the final game of the season, kale-eater and recently anointed long-term Giant Hunter Pence hit a walk-off that gave Giants fans hope for the future.

The future is this season. Brian Sabean re-signed Tim Lincecum, Javier Lopez, Hunter Pence, and Ryan Vogelsong. He replaced Barry Zito with Tim Hudson. He threw in Michael Morse just for kicks. That hope for the future was mostly rooted in Tim Hudson because expectations were low for the other guys (no offense to Lopez). Through the first 63 games, we were 42-21. I can't speak for other Giants fans, but I didn't trust this team. Low and behold, the losses started showing up. The pitching was bad, then the offense was bad, then the breaks weren't going our way. In one month, Michael Morse had as many RBIs as Joaquin Arias. In the middle of this awful stretch of baseball, Tim Lincecum threw another no-hitter, looking like he finally figured out how to pitch again. Hey, maybe things are going to turn around. Maybe that's what momentum is. The rest of baseball responded with a resounding "lol" and proceeded to beat us into false hope.

What's weird is... we can still make the postseason, AND we can maybe do it by winning the division! No! (Yes!) The Dodgers have been like, "Nah, we don't really want this. Take it from us if you want. *burp*" The Giants have responded with, "I don't know, man. We tried that earlier and it was scary. *sniffle*" This week has been encouraging in the form of a Madison Bumgarner one-hitter and a Yusmeiro Petit (starting in place of an awful Tim Lincecum) record-breaking perfect streak. Will this be the momentum I keep hearing exists? Only time will tell. This has been a season plagued with weirdness, and yet the weirdness isn't that weird. It's baseball, and I love baseball.

Please don't give Michael Morse the Aubrey Huff deal. I don't care how sad Hunter Pence will be.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:25 pm
Cinematographer

Hey Ken, what are your thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension? You know, it feels like Oakland hasn't won a game since the Cespedes trade and a contributing factor has to be them not having that clean-up presence in the lineup (despite said hitter not hitting well). This happened to the Giants, too, when Pagan was on the disabled list (despite said hitter not being the cure for cancer). He breaks and the Giants go 0-60 making the division race far more interesting than it could have been. Once he came back [and the Giants got out of Kansas City] they started winning again. The Orioles have a lot of really good hitters so maybe they'll be okay, but does his suspension give you any major concerns?

Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:57 pm
Director

Pedro wrote:
Hey Ken, what are your thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension? You know, it feels like Oakland hasn't won a game since the Cespedes trade and a contributing factor has to be them not having that clean-up presence in the lineup (despite said hitter not hitting well). This happened to the Giants, too, when Pagan was on the disabled list (despite said hitter not being the cure for cancer). He breaks and the Giants go 0-60 making the division race far more interesting than it could have been. Once he came back [and the Giants got out of Kansas City] they started winning again. The Orioles have a lot of really good hitters so maybe they'll be okay, but does his suspension give you any major concerns?

It does a little bit. His average is horrendous, so the guys replacing him will actually give us a boost in that department, but his power will be missed. The trade we made for Alejandro De Aza gives us an everyday LF, so we can plug Steve Pearce in at 1B (who's having a very good season from out of nowhere) and some combo of Ryan Flaherty/Kelly Johnson at 3B. Davis will miss the first 8 games of the playoffs, meaning he can come back somewhere in the middle of the ALCS should we advance that far.

Regardless of what happens, Buck Showalter should run away with AL Manager of the Year. There's simply no other argument you can make. Losing Wieters and Machado for the season yet still maintaining this massive division lead? Every single starting pitcher sporting an ERA under 4.00? This is wow-worthy stuff.

We'll make the playoffs because the rest of our schedule is pretty soft. If we draw Kansas City, a playoff neophyte, in the first round, that's one hell of a matchup in our favor. Beyond that, I'm not so sure.

Just as an aside, it's a nice time to have playoff-caliber baseball on the way given my utter disgust for the NFL right now.

Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:33 pm
Cinematographer

I agree on Buck Showalter for AL Manager of the Year. If Buck can keep the Orioles winning even a little bit through the Davis suspension, his credentials are strengthened all the more. Ned Yost would be the only other viable candidate in my opinion, and he's not that close. That being said, I feel like you guys will draw the Tigers. It's just a feeling I have. If that's the case, their pitching will be tough, especially if they decide to put Verlander in the bullpen. I would favor the Orioles in the event of an Orioles-Royals ALDS, though. You guys have more experience than them and were only a Raul Ibanez away from advancing two years ago... who happens to be on the Royals. Huh. I like the Orioles. I'm watching their game against the Yankees right now.

I'm hoping the Giants can pull ahead of the Dodgers for the division. It just dawned on me that if we win on the same pace we've been winning, we could wind up with the best record in the National League. Yeesh, that'd be stupid. I'm extremely excited for the series against the Dodgers this weekend. I was thinking about going to the game tonight, but I don't have a firstborn to trade in for tickets.

My heart goes out to Giancarlo Stanton, and Mike Fiers. Last night on MLB Network, they implied that Fiers might have a hard time pitching inside going forward and that could negatively affect his career. I'm not sure I buy that considering how dominant he's been, but only time will tell.

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:58 pm
Director

You know, I've always thought about doing another baseball road trip. My dad and I visited a bunch of Midwestern cities in 2009, and I understand Kunz has done something similar. Fuck it. I need to see some West Coast games. It's happening next summer. Believe it.

Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:31 pm
Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
You know, I've always thought about doing another baseball road trip. My dad and I visited a bunch of Midwestern cities in 2009, and I understand Kunz has done something similar. Fuck it. I need to see some West Coast games. It's happening next summer. Believe it.

I'm always up for treating Reelviewers to Royals games!

Speaking of: I'm not a Royals fan, but I've been here about 5 years now, so I'm not going to claim complete impartiality. If I'm any AL team, they're certainly who I'd want to draw in the ALDS. They have barely a shred of postseason experience, and most of that is with the 68 year-old Ibanez. However... they don't make errors, they can pitch, they have several contact hitting guys, a fringe-fringe MVP type (Gordon), and some guys who would be fairly scary if they get hot in a series (Perez, Butler). They're also more than capable of collapsing and losing the division by 3.5 games. I'm not saying they're going to rule the world if they get to the postseason. But they have the elements to do well in series play. I hope we get to see it (and I'll be at the games if we do).

Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:41 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next