Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:14 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
What would you like to see in your lifetime? 
Cinematographer

Post Re: What would you like to see in your lifetime?
JamesKunz wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

I look forward to a future of this board when most members stop liking the taste of dick.

I look forward to a cure for assburgers so vex will realize most of what he posts is fucking laughable.

I look forward to a future of 'Merica when Obama goes back to his home country and stops playing terrible golf off my dime.

I look forward to this spring break imma bout to tits where I'm going to Jordan Belfort at least 12 slams.

I look forward to the next time I shoot a 75 because it definitely didn't happen today.

And just like my bro Mcconaughey, I look forward to see myself in ten years. My future wife should be 10 at that point and start being trained in the ways of old.

Keep this up and I'll ban you. No one will accuse me of acting too harshly, and no one will shed a bitter tear.

Sorry, Kunzie. I couldn't let him keep this up.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:09 pm
Assistant Director

Good riddance. That nasty comment on Asperger's is enough to spur development of an electronic face slapping device. Slap the shit out of him.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:46 pm
Producer

Beef has acted the college, fratboy bellend for months

I diagnose 3 months in a Manchester community college. He'll have an ass like a wizard's sleeve.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:08 pm
Assistant Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
Beef has acted the college, fratboy bellend for months

I diagnose 3 months in a Manchester community college. He'll have an ass like a wizard's sleeve.

Spineless swines! Cemented minds!

Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:14 pm
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:

Wait....you banned him? For life?

Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:32 pm
Assistant Director

Hades demanded a sacrifice for the return of an unharmed PeachyPete.

Pete, put that fucking pomegranate down and get back here. Hades, may you be satisfied by our paltry offering in return for Pete.

Alright, I'll let up on that one paltry offering.

Seriously, though, Pete. You've got enough antioxidants in you at this point.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:01 pm
Producer

Mark III wrote:
Hades demanded a sacrifice for the return of an unharmed PeachyPete.

Pete, put that fucking pomegranate down and get back here. Hades, may you be satisfied by our paltry offering in return for Pete.

Alright, I'll let up on that one paltry offering.

Seriously, though, Pete. You've got enough antioxidants in you at this point.

Come on, Pete. Look at what you're doing to your poor moth--er, to Mark.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:29 pm
Second Unit Director

patrick wrote:
Pedro wrote:

Wait....you banned him? For life?

Hopefully he is, surely he needs to be. There's one other troll who pisses me off nearly everytime I visit this site, which is usually each weekday. I'm not having a go at the moderators, there are only two of them and they do a pretty good job. That being said, if that certain troll had have been banned a couple of years ago when he was being every bit of a dick that roastbeef_ajus has been for the past few months, I'm sure Pete wouldn't have thought fuck this and gone into retirement. I could tell when Pedro sort of warned Pete it wasn't going to go down well. Pete doesn't antagonize people without warrant and he's one of the best writers on the reelviews forum, so hopefully he'll be back.

Anyway, onwards and upwards. I love this site and although it isn't what it once was, I look forward to reading it most days and still learn alot from it.

Yours Sincerely,

Leigh Wise

Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:45 am
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

I look forward to a future of this board when most members stop liking the taste of dick.

I look forward to a cure for assburgers so vex will realize most of what he posts is fucking laughable.

I look forward to a future of 'Merica when Obama goes back to his home country and stops playing terrible golf off my dime.

I look forward to this spring break imma bout to tits where I'm going to Jordan Belfort at least 12 slams.

I look forward to the next time I shoot a 75 because it definitely didn't happen today.

And just like my bro Mcconaughey, I look forward to see myself in ten years. My future wife should be 10 at that point and start being trained in the ways of old.

Keep this up and I'll ban you. No one will accuse me of acting too harshly, and no one will shed a bitter tear.

Thank you for making this forum a better place.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Recent events have understandably gotten me thinking, and I'm probably not alone with this particular answer to the thread question:

Ghostbusters III.

In fact, I know exactly how to do it and hereby volunteer to write it myself for a very modest fee. Dan Aykroyd, hit me up. The outline's already cooking.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:29 pm
Second Unit Director

Back on topic, I badly want to see extra terrestrial contact. If I died and that didn't happen, I would've died as part of the loneliest race ever. I mean, the universe is 46 billion light years in radius, and what are the odds that the only planet with any sort of intelligent life form is Earth. (Intelligent being a very relative term here, given this is humanity we're talking about.)

I also want to see it happen for another reason: Humanity is a pretty useless race on the whole. We fight our petty and useless wars in the name of religion, power and other nonsense, while there are real problems (starvation, AIDS, Africa, poverty among lots of other things) going unsolved. We build up nuclear weapons enough to destroy the entire planet. (I have a feeling this is how humanity is eventually going to end.)

I have lost a lot of faith in our race, and I generally believe, or hope, that the only thing that can unite as an entire race of people is an alien invasion.

Though whenever I say this to my friends, the response I usually get is that all the politicians will be lining up to make deals with the aliens to spare their lives and will generally sell us all out. It is a dark and deadly conclusion to draw from a hypothetical situation, but given what I've seen of our race, it wouldn't be too far off from the truth.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

That is a fantastic post, and I have a mixed reaction to it. In some ways, the situation is bleaker than you might hope, but better than you might imagine.

We are probably not going to make contact with aliens, at least not in the foreseeable future. We can be almost certain they're out there, but Earth is such an infinitely small point in an infinitely large universe. The odds of anyone wandering close enough to our neighborhood to find out that we're here... we might as well wait for Tommy Wiseau to sweep the Oscars.

On your other point, there are certainly many reasons to be disappointed in human progress, but it's important to remember that we're still in our infancy as a civilization. We're a baby that has only just now crawled out of the cradle. As a species, we've existed for maybe a few million years, tops--barely a tick of the cosmic clock.

And for all the rotten people who stomp the rest of us down and hold us back, there are others--scientists, engineers, artists--who show the amazing things we're capable of when we stop being so dumb for a few seconds. I love Tom Hanks's line in Apollo 13: "From now on, we live in a world where man has walked on the moon. And it's not a miracle. We just decided to go."

I also love Jodie Foster's line in Contact, when she's asked what she would say to an intelligent alien life form: "How did you survive this technological adolescence without destroying yourself?" It so perfectly encapsulates the biggest challenge currently facing us.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:54 pm
Second Unit Director

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
Back on topic, I badly want to see extra terrestrial contact. If I died and that didn't happen, I would've died as part of the loneliest race ever. I mean, the universe is 46 billion light years in radius, and what are the odds that the only planet with any sort of intelligent life form is Earth. (Intelligent being a very relative term here, given this is humanity we're talking about.)

I also want to see it happen for another reason: Humanity is a pretty useless race on the whole. We fight our petty and useless wars in the name of religion, power and other nonsense, while there are real problems (starvation, AIDS, Africa, poverty among lots of other things) going unsolved. We build up nuclear weapons enough to destroy the entire planet. (I have a feeling this is how humanity is eventually going to end.)

I have lost a lot of faith in our race, and I generally believe, or hope, that the only thing that can unite as an entire race of people is an alien invasion.

Though whenever I say this to my friends, the response I usually get is that all the politicians will be lining up to make deals with the aliens to spare their lives and will generally sell us all out. It is a dark and deadly conclusion to draw from a hypothetical situation, but given what I've seen of our race, it wouldn't be too far off from the truth.

I don't have a mixed reaction to that post, which I take isn't black comedy? How bleak do you want to get?

Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:02 pm
Second Unit Director

wisey, I want to make it clear that I am not a dark person. I don't go around telling babies that Santa Claus isn't real and that we will all die some day. But I don't think anyone can question the validity of what I posted. That is what I see in the news everyday. Not that good things don't happen around me, it's just that there's an overwhelming amount of bad things happening that it's hard for me to not think about those scenarios, dark as they may be.

Ken wrote:
And for all the rotten people who stomp the rest of us down and hold us back, there are others--scientists, engineers, artists--who show the amazing things we're capable of when we stop being so dumb for a few seconds. I love Tom Hanks's line in Apollo 13: "From now on, we live in a world where man has walked on the moon. And it's not a miracle. We just decided to go."

I also love Jodie Foster's line in Contact, when she's asked what she would say to an intelligent alien life form: "How did you survive this technological adolescence without destroying yourself?" It so perfectly encapsulates the biggest challenge currently facing us.

The points you've raised here, especially about the fact that we're still a race in relative infancy are true.

I also love both the quotes you've posted, especially the latter one, because that is the stage we are at right one. We discover nuclear technology, and the first thing we do is to make bombs. But then we realize that if we use this amazing technology for something other than destroying each other, we can do a lot of good with it. I've recently learned that a major breakthrough has been made in terms of fusion power. We didn't end up making only bombs after all.

As someone who is part of the Software Enginnering clan myself, I feel that we're just coming out of our mother's wombs as far as Computing and the Internet is concerned. Both have been around for about 5 decades, if you include the years it was used for military research, and if you're not being pedantic about including the research done from 30s and before. We still don't know how best to utilize these amazing technologies in terms of making progress as a race. (Right now, the best use most people are making of these technologies is for taking selfies and posting to Twitter and Facebook. And I am not kidding.)

But I see hope there as well. For all the useless social network ripoffs that come up on a day-to-day basis, there's also a lot of people innovating on using technology for the betterment of humanity. We have Google, Amazon and other companies using clusters of thousands of computers to solve DNA-related problems at amazing rates and coming up with so much data that it is not going to be long before we see major breakthroughs in the medical field. In fact, these huge clusters are also used for simulating the aforementioned nuclear fusion problem as well. There are a whole lot of other data related problems that are waiting to be solved.

When I read news of that sort, I do see a lot of hope for our future as a race.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:

I strongly disagree that humanity is "useless" I would not want to count on aliens who may or may not exist(though i'm leaning heavily towards "not).

I haven't lost "faith" in humanity at all.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:55 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
In some ways, the situation is bleaker than you might hope, but better than you might imagine.

I've been giving a multiple readings to your post, and I keep coming back to this line. This is the kind of line I always hope I write, but am never able to. Fuck you Ken!

Also for some reason, I was reminded of this quote from House M.D. after all the bleak thought: "We are selfish base animals crawling across the earth. But because we've got brains if we try real hard we can we can occasionally aspire to something that is less than pure evil."

Another thing I wish to see but that is already happening is virtual reality. By all accounts I've read, Oculus Rift is making all the right moves in this regard, and it has got two of the best minds in computing behind it, so I have a lot of hope for it. Bascially I want my own version of Johnny Quest before I die.

I also want to see Leonardo Dicaprio win an Oscar, but out of all the things I want to happen, I think this has the least probability of happening.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:14 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

That humanity is 'useless' is the excuse politicians utilise to lord it over us like we're 7 billion maggots feasting on a bloated corpse.

We need to bin this attitude. ASAP

Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:15 pm
Second Unit Director

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:

Mate, I don't want to get into a discussion with you about this, it's your opinion and from what I've read from your other posts, you seem like a nice, genuine guy. That being said, I find it completely ridiculous to even think about aliens being the only thing that can unite our human race, and even if they did the poliiticians would save themselves and sell us out anyway. It sounds like a conversation I may have had with someone ten years ago on acid.

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
wisey, I want to make it clear that I am not a dark person. I don't go around telling babies that Santa Claus isn't real and that we will all die some day. But I don't think anyone can question the validity of what I posted. That is what I see in the news everyday. Not that good things don't happen around me, it's just that there's an overwhelming amount of bad things happening that it's hard for me to not think about those scenarios, dark as they may be.

Well that's a relief! I'm not saying you're a dark person because I don't know you, but I'd consider your perspective here to be very dark.

Also too, telling babies Santa Claus isn't real and that they'll die one day isn't a big deal, because they wouldn't understand you. If you went around telling toddlers that though, geez that would be nasty. :)

Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:20 pm
Director

There's a lot of progress that has been made that you won't hear about on the news. For example, since the turn of the century war between states has practically stopped. Most conflicts these days are civil wars. As a matter of fact, the two biggest wars between states since the year 2000 have been started by the United States.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:13 pm
Critic

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
There's a lot of progress that has been made that you won't hear about on the news. For example, since the turn of the century war between states has practically stopped. Most conflicts these days are civil wars. As a matter of fact, the two biggest wars between states since the year 2000 have been started by the United States.

Heh...interesting fact.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:47 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next