Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:42 am

300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE 
Site Admin

Post 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE
Click here for the review of Rise of an Empire

SPOILERS must be tagged with the "SPOILER" tag!

Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:55 am
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Post Re: 300: RISE OF AN EMPIRE
"300: Rise of an Empire is one of those unnecessary sequels that exists primarily because the previous installment made a lot of money. The lack of a creative driver behind the film leads to a level of fundamental dissatisfaction."

You could pretty much say this for most sequels these days. I wish Hollywood would stop trying to turn every blockbuster into a franchise.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:42 pm
Second Unit Director

Would anybody here rather see the Battle of Plataea put on film that this film. Or this film does will will this be the third film that they do.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:46 pm
Gaffer

Correction James: Leonidas shouts "This is Sparta!" in the first installment, not "We are Spartans".

Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:13 pm
Auteur

Didn't like the first film and this one looks even worse, definitely not wasting my money on it.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:39 pm
Gaffer

Well, you're review is pretty much what I expect from the movie--entertaining and visceral and visually spectacular, yet inferior to its predecessor. At least it isn't horrible--it could'e been worse, I guess. I'm definitely checking it out next week.

http://www.sebastianzavala.com/

Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:17 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Second Unit Director

Got back from seeing it, could have been worse. I really liked the first film, I re-watched it yesterday for the first time in a couple of years. I thought maybe since I've grown up maybe it wouldn't have been as exciting or cool, but it still was haha. As for this film, definitely not as good as the first. I missed Gerard Butler. Eva green almost filled the void, but like you said, she was a villain so I couldn't sympathize with her as I did with King Leonidas. The battles were still pretty epic, but the speeches were boring. Suffice to say, you won't be seeing any internet memes of this movie or hear people quoting this film like the first.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:05 am
Gaffer

Sebastian wrote:
Well, you're review is pretty much what I expect from the movie--entertaining and visceral and visually spectacular, yet inferior to its predecessor.

Dito. Not sure what to do with this movie though. Wait until it's released on Blu-Ray and watch it at home? This is the kind of movie that needs to be seen on the big screen, watching it at home will dilute the experience. I missed watching the original 300 movie in theatres, and I deeply regret it. Although I sense that nobodys going to address reproaches on me if I skip this one.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:14 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Cinematographer wrote:
Sebastian wrote:
Well, you're review is pretty much what I expect from the movie--entertaining and visceral and visually spectacular, yet inferior to its predecessor.

Dito. Not sure what to do with this movie though. Wait until it's released on Blu-Ray and watch it at home? This is the kind of movie that needs to be seen on the big screen, watching it at home will dilute the experience. I missed watching the original 300 movie in theatres, and I deeply regret it. Although I sense that nobodys going to address reproaches on me if I skip this one.

I was only twelve when the first film came out, but my mom didn't want me seeing it so I missed in theaters as well (I ended up seeing it a couple of months afterwards though when my dad bought the DVD haha). Having seen it, I would say that it might lose something if you watch it on your TV because the battles are epic and huge in scope, which is something a TV can't capture, but this won't be as popular as the first film so I don't think many people will bother you about it haha, but it's entirely up to you. I liked it in IMAX, it was visually impressive, and I would suggest to see it in this format if you can (if you do end up deciding to go see it).

Last edited by Convictions on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:33 pm
Director

MovieBob suggests that Eva Green really saves it from mediocrity. Indeed, all critics I've read so far specifically cite Green's performance as something to behold. Even her sex-scene gets a mention as something extraordinary.
"There is a sex scene in ‘300: Rise of an Empire‘ that is an all-timer. Put it right up there on the shelf next to ‘Don’t Look Now,’ ‘A History of Violence,’ ‘Blue is the Warmest Color,’ ’9 ½ Weeks’ and any of the others that make those best-of lists. Actually, put next to that insanity in the pool from ‘Showgirls’ (you know, with the dolphin statue?), because there’s a level of playful absurdity that changes it from a representation of love (or, more accurately, lust) to something of a Broadway choreographer’s interpretation of a fight. Like a ‘West Side Story’ rumble, but with Eva Green moaning and bent over a table with maps and war figurines. A rise of an empire, indeed."
http://screencrush.com/300-rise-of-an-empire-review/
Is her ott performance alone worth seeing 300: Rise of an Empire for?

Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:35 pm
Second Unit Director

I liked it but Eva Green is indeed a much more compelling character than the heroes. I would like to see a sequel to this film. Though i'm not holding my breath.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:55 pm
Second Unit Director

I was surprised that it was not the complete clunker that a lot of sequels or reboots are. If 300 was a 10/10 then this would be about a 7/10. Thermopylae and a heroic last stand by Leonidas and his allies is a much more dramatic story to put on film while Themistocles' victory at Salamis doesn't quite resonate as much with the modern imagination despite Salamis being one of the most crucial military victories of the Western world.

Rise of the Empire is a kind of bonkers historical movie where the Histories of the Persian Wars were not written by Herodotus but by Robert E Howard.Gone are the heavily armored Greek hoplites that fight with spear and shield in a phalanx but bare chested Conan the barbarians hacking and slashing with berserker abandon.

Then there is Eva Green who steals the movie with her over the top performance that I almost was starting to like her character despite being the villain. She has one of the strangest sex scenes that I have seen in a long while that actually was part of the plot for a change.

Listening to Themistocles speeches through the movie extorting carpenters,sculptors and farmers to fight a professional army I kept thinking about events in Ukraine. Just ordinary people taking bricks and bats fighting against police with assault weapons and an oppressive system. Those words ring true today as much as they did 2500 years ago when the free Greeks were facing the same threats.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:15 am
Second Unit Director

So just saw 300: Rise of an Empire and...think of it this way it's like the first one but inferior! With 300 it was a world populated with amazing talkers. People with the promo skills so great that they could say something awesome, then invent a catchphrase and then say a manly one-liner. 300 was filled with, pretty much The Rocks in terms of over-the-top awesome lines especially King Leonaidis.

With 300: Rise of an Empire, I was kinda reminded of Marc Mero. He was a wrestler that was around, outside of his time as Little Richard impersonator Johnny B. Badd wasn't that memorable nor did he really set the world on fire with his words. He wasn't bad, he was competent but the only reason people remember Marc Mero was his hot ex-wife Sable. You might remember her as the one who singlehandlely revive the Woman's Division in the late 90's, her appearances in Playboy or her $100 million+ lawsuit against Vince McMahon but you remember Sable more than you remember Marc.

I say this because 300: Rise of an Empire is competent with decent action scenes and nice looks, granted it's aping the original style but it's still nice but with King Leoniadis getting that severe case of death last movie we're stuck with Themistocles who's mic skills are abysmal with nary a catch phrase in sight. But, there is Eva Green who, by sheer force of will, elevates this and her to something interesting and watchable, while looking damn good doing it. Nobody will remember this movie, but they will certainly remember Eva Green in it. Rent it.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:47 pm
Second Unit Director

Quote:
I say this because 300: Rise of an Empire is competent with decent action scenes and nice looks, granted it's aping the original style but it's still nice but with King Leoniadis getting that severe case of death last movie we're stuck with Themistocles who's mic skills are abysmal with nary a catch phrase in sight. But, there is Eva Green who, by sheer force of will, elevates this and her to something interesting and watchable, while looking damn good doing it. Nobody will remember this movie, but they will certainly remember Eva Green in it. Rent it.

You make a good point that in comparing movies that Leonidas gets the better quotable dialogue and catch phrases. The historical irony is that the real Themistocles was the better speaker having risen from a son of a pedlar to one of the leaders of the Athenian democracy,general at Marathon and admiral of the Allied Greek fleet. It was Themistocles speaking skills that singlehandedly built the Athenian navy over everyone's objections,got all the fratricidal Greeks to fight together and verbally outfoxed the Persians to win Salamis with a much smaller force. He was not a king like Leonidas or have a glorious death at a epic last stand or have a screenwriter give him better dialogue when they finally made a movie about him.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:35 pm
Second Unit Director

oakenshield32 wrote:
Quote:

You make a good point that in comparing movies that Leonidas gets the better quotable dialogue and catch phrases. The historical irony is that the real Themistocles was the better speaker having risen from a son of a pedlar to one of the leaders of the Athenian democracy,general at Marathon and admiral of the Allied Greek fleet. It was Themistocles speaking skills that singlehandedly built the Athenian navy over everyone's objections,got all the fratricidal Greeks to fight together and verbally outfoxed the Persians to win Salamis with a much smaller force. He was not a king like Leonidas or have a glorious death at a epic last stand or have a screenwriter give him better dialogue when they finally made a movie about him.

Ehhh, I'm not really talking about quality of lines I'm talking more about how bored Sullivan Stapleton sounded when I say abysmal mic skills. He didn't really electrify the troops or even the audience, even his big rousing speech where he said "Better to die on our feet than to live on our knees" had no energy to it. And while a catchphrase would've been nice, I don't think Double S could've pulled it off anyways.

Also, I'm thinking of this and the first 300 movie in terms of pro wrestling cause that's what they are more-or-less, just with historical overtones.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:48 pm
Second Unit Director

Quote:
Ehhh, I'm not really talking about quality of lines I'm talking more about how bored Sullivan Stapleton sounded when I say abysmal mic skills. He didn't really electrify the troops or even the audience, even his big rousing speech where he said "Better to die on our feet than to live on our knees" had no energy to it. And while a catchphrase would've been nice, I don't think Double S could've pulled it off anyways.

Also, I'm thinking of this and the first 300 movie in terms of pro wrestling cause that's what they are more-or-less, just with historical overtones.

That is a fair point that every wrestler needs a catchphrase and talk good smack but the analogy doesn't always translate perfectly. Leonidas is the leader of the militaristic/fascistic Spartans where the state controls all facets of a person's life so it makes sense he uses loud boastful aggressive slogans to rally his men trained from birth to only fight and kill. Themistocles leads a fractious democracy of free men and full voting citizens of Athens who are part time soldiers where he must use more persuasion than compulsion. Please note the scene where he is watching the Spartans pummeling each other and scoffs at them. Sullivan's delivery could be a combination of not going for Butler's shtick for overacting and trying to sound like a politician like Lincoln than a warlord like Leonidas(or it could be he is a bad actor).

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:51 am
Cinematographer

oakenshield32 wrote:
Quote:

Never ever let it be said that Hollywood let small matters like historical accuracy get in the way of making a good popcorn flick. It was a difficult fight in America, but they've somehow managed to triumph over the forces of knowledge and rationality.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:26 pm
Director

I saw this yesterday and 2.5 stars feels right. Eva Green is something to behold all right; she can enrapture you just with the look in her eyes, and she relishes every over-the-top line. Too bad Sullivan Stapleton is nowhere near up to the task. He's as dull a main hero as they come. Remember how Joel Schumaker's Batman films focused disproportionately on the villains? That's exactly the problem here.

My dream version of this movie would've been having Queen Gorgo as the lead, giving us two all-male armies led by women. Just imagine that.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:14 pm
Producer

KWRoss wrote:
I saw this yesterday and 2.5 stars feels right. Eva Green is something to behold all right; she can enrapture you just with the look in her eyes, and she relishes every over-the-top line. Too bad Sullivan Stapleton is nowhere near up to the task. He's as dull a main hero as they come. Remember how Joel Schumaker's Batman films focused disproportionately on the villains? That's exactly the problem here.

My dream version of this movie would've been having Queen Gorgo as the lead, giving us two all-male armies led by women. Just imagine that.

Not to get off topic or anything, but that may be true with Batman & Robin, but Batman Forever did a good job of being about Bruce Wayne/Batman and Dick Grayson/Robin. In fact, Batman Forever did a better job of being about Bruce than either of the previous Michael Keaton films.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:12 pm
Producer

Finally caught this and while still not exactly good and still very flawed, it is nonetheless a lot better than I expected. It looks good, the acting is fairly decent, it moves at a decent pace and is, for the most part, better than the first one. But the ending is incredibly anticlimatic and the visual style of the movie is both a strength and a weakness. It's a strength in that the movie is visually stunning for the most part. But the battle scenes suffer from the same problems that plagued the first movie: too much slow motion and WAY too much CGI blood. The CGI blood is a particular problem because it makes so much of the movie feel rather phony and even a little cheesy. Also, the action gets awfully repetitive.

Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:45 am