Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:51 pm

"Movie 43" Was Actually Pretty... 
Cinematographer

Post "Movie 43" Was Actually Pretty...
...godawful. :D

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:26 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: "Movie 43" Was Actually Pretty...
DETAILS MAN DETAILS!

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:28 pm
Cinematographer

Roeper's review of it on Ebert's website essentially sums up my feelings. The sad part is that he doesn't even have Sundance to bounce back on. I do. Until tomorrow. Then, my animosity towards January movies will grow even more.

It is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Period. End of discussion.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:36 pm
Director

I'd still like to know how they presuaded some actual legitimate actors to appear in this. I mean, Naomi Watts NEVER does comedy (Vexer's favorite movie being the exception :lol: ... and even there she was merely replacing Gwyneth Paltrow), so why would she choose to do this? :?

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:26 pm
Auteur

H.I. McDonough wrote:
I'd still like to know how they presuaded some actual legitimate actors to appear in this. I mean, Naomi Watts NEVER does comedy (Vexer's favorite movie being the exception :lol: ... and even there she was merely replacing Gwyneth Paltrow), so why would she choose to do this? :?

She probably couldn't resist the allure of being in a film with so many other famous actors. Anyways this film does look sort of funny, but i'll wait until DVD before checking it out.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:04 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

She probably couldn't resist the allure of being in a film with so many other famous actors. Anyways this film does look sort of funny, but i'll wait until DVD before checking it out.

No. Just no.

Many of them were blackmailed into doing it. Here's an article to explain: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Guil ... 35270.html.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:46 am
Cinematographer

Sean wrote:
Vexer wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

No. Just no.

Many of them were blackmailed into doing it. Here's an article to explain: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Guil ... 35270.html.

I'd hardly call any of what that article says blackmail. It really doesn't say much about how they got their cast other than the producers kept asking them over and over. I still doesn't explain why so many big stars eventually agreed.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:06 pm
Auteur

Yeah, that's hardly what i'd call "blackmail", if they REALLY didn't want to do it, they wouldn't do it no matter how many times they were asked.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:43 pm
Second Unit Director

The question is now that it has won for Worst Picture of the Year... How much will Vexer like it?

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:14 pm
Auteur

mrguinness wrote:
The question is now that it has won for Worst Picture of the Year... How much will Vexer like it?

I already saw it months and though it was OK, it had some funny moments and some not-so-funny ones, but overall it wasn't nearly as painful to sit through as say Your Highness was.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:37 pm
Director

I saw about 45 minutes of Movie 43, and had to turn it off. It is shit, complete unmitigated horseshit. Movie 43 is awfulness on the Freddy Got Fingered level, and it's hard to be that bad.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:50 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I saw about 45 minutes of Movie 43, and had to turn it off. It is shit, complete unmitigated horseshit. Movie 43 is awfulness on the Freddy Got Fingered level, and it's hard to be that bad.

I didn't mind that film too much either, so that probably explains how I was able to sit through the entire thing with no problem.

You think Movie 43 is hard to sit through? Try Southland Tales, you'll be lucky if you can watch it for 10 minutes without wanting to turn it off.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:55 pm
Producer

Freddy got fingered is perhaps the only film i've ever felt truly offended by.

It's fucking astonishingly bad. I once watched that and Bio-dome back-to-back at a mate's house. Dark times

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:00 pm
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:

It's fucking astonishingly bad. I once watched that and Bio-dome back-to-back at a mate's house. Dark times

Bio-Dome I found pretty funny as well.

One film that truly offended me was Spike Lee's "She Hate Me", as it's portrayal of gay people was profoundly ignorant in the worst way.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:13 pm
Producer

Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

One film that truly offended me was Spike Lee's "She Hate Me", as it's portrayal of gay people was profoundly ignorant in the worst way.

Remember the episode of The Simpsons (or perhaps Futurama) when Spike Lee and other "mediocre" people were blasted into the Sun.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:21 am
Producer

Anyway, Movie 43 is listed in Wikipedia's diplomatically put "Films considered the worst" list.

Not bad for a film that's only 12 months old.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:24 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Vexer wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

Remember the episode of The Simpsons (or perhaps Futurama) when Spike Lee and other "mediocre" people were blasted into the Sun.

Yeah that was pretty funny.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:47 am