Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:41 pm

Critics you respect apart from James 
Post Re: Critics you respect apart from James
When I was younger my older brother gave me a book to read called, 'Taking it all in,' by Pauline Kael.

To me, she was the best, yet harshest critic I've ever read. I'd cross reference her reviews with Leonard Maltin's terrible, yet thorough books.

Admittedly, I didn't own a computer until 1998 and stumbled across James website as he was the highest, in alphabetical order on Movie Review Query Engine.

For the past ten years I've only really checked the Reelviews site and imdb as a reference so maybe I need to broaden my range. The reviewers in my local Melbourne newspapers I'm convinced have agendas to help create revenue for the major Cinema companies. There reviews are simply not readable.

So to answer your question, I'd say Pauline is the only other critic I've really respected.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:54 am
CHW wrote:
I know this is blasphemy, but I'm not really a big fan of Ebert as everybody else seems to be. I don't really understand his review style -- he likes to ramble on about stuff, describing in his own words the film's plot and the characters and themes. I find he'll usually go on and on and end up spoiling half the movie before stopping and telling some other tangential anecdote or a larger insight on the film industry.

It's not uninteresting to read, but I'm often not sure how he actually felt about movie until I see the star rating.

Yeah I don't think Ebert's such a godly critic either, it seems like in one review he'll make very good points, and in another he'll ramble on about piontless stuff that has little to do with the film at hand, i'd he's an average critic due to his inconsistancy, still though I do have to give himr espect for giving some widely hated films like Speed 2 good reviews.

Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:32 pm
I'd say Ebert is usually entertaining enough to read, though he does make way too many mistakes regarding like minor details of the movies he's reviewing and whatnot. That can get distracting. For me anyway, the most trustworthy name in film reviewiership is The Onion AV Club. Their writers are phenomenal, they've got great taste, they know pop culture and, as a cherry on top, the commentators are among the most insightful and hilarious people I've "met" hanging around on these here internets

http://www.avclub.com

Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:47 pm
Man, there's gotta be someone else who reads Emanuel Levy!

Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:25 am
Director

Roger Ebert
michael Phillips
richard roeper
A.O. Scott
Ben Mankiwe(can't finish his last name)
Eric d. snider(ww.eric d.snider.com)

Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:20 pm
Profile YIM
new_xieland wrote:
The Spill Crew - http://www.spill.com

May not be politically correct but thoroughly entertaining and funny as hell :D

So I'm replying to a post that's almost 19 months old, but I'd like to highlight how funny these guys are. They're not particularly great film critics, but they're combination of banter and animation makes for a great watch. Although they only review mainstream stuff, they provide some worthwhile opinions. Their rating system is also way more practical.

Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:01 am
Dennis Schwartz is an excellent critic in my book. Mysterious guy too; haven't been able to find much information about him apart from the shady overview on his site.

Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:19 pm
Director

Roger Ebert, mostly on older films.

Mike D'Angelo. A "different opinion" critic done right, which is to say he doesn't feel like a contrarian at all. Even if I disagree fervently with his overall view on a film (he gives Rashomon 50/100!), I can't help but always nod at the points he make because he's so well articulate.

A.O. Scott. I've always liked him, and then his Toy Story 3 review cemented his place among my favorite. The last paragraph of that review is beautiful stuff.

Those 3, along with JB, are top. And then there are three old-timer AV Club turned Dissolve writers who I always check their opinions: Noel Murray, Scott Tobias, and Tasha Robinson.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:48 am
Auteur

Dustin Putman-I may not always agree with his reviews, but they are always concise and very well-written nonetheless. Because he's younger then most critics(he started reviewing when he was only 17) I feel like he understands certain films better, and he's not afraid to champion films that he feels are undeservedly hated by other critics(like The Counselor), nor bash films that he feels are underserving of the praise heaped upon them(like Avatar).

He's also very active on Facebook and he's respectful towards people that disagree with his reviews, unlike say Ebert, whose review of Battle L.A. pissed me off as he basically said anyone who disagreed with him on the film was an idiot, which came across as an incredibly asinine, immature, disrespectful and unprofessional statement for a seasoned critic to say.

One of my favorite reviews by Dustin- http://www.dustinputman.com/reviews/s/13_springbreakers.htm

Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:15 pm
Assistant Director

Ebert's review of Battle: LA was actually well-written, concise, and pretty damn funny until those final few sentences. He probably should've stopped right before that. It's a mistake, but it's also one I can't dwell on or crush him too harshly for because he was battling quite an intense, debilitating condition, and he might not have been thinking as clearly as he did in his pre-cancer days. I took every review and star rating since his near-death experiences with a grain of salt.

Every critic has a slip-up like this and engages in personal attack every once in a blue moon, even JB (in his review of BAD BOYS 2, he said "anyone who truly enjoys this movie may wish to consider seeking professional help, if they are not already beyond it"). As long as its the exception and not the rule, I'm okay.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:11 pm
Assistant Director

KWRoss wrote:
Ebert's review of Battle: LA was actually well-written, concise, and pretty damn funny until those final few sentences. He probably should've stopped right before that. It's a mistake, but it's also one I can't dwell on or crush him too harshly for because he was battling quite an intense, debilitating condition, and he might not have been thinking as clearly as he did in his pre-cancer days. I took every review and star rating since his near-death experiences with a grain of salt.

Is Battle: LA worth seeing? I have a sneaking feeling I'll at best find it incredibly mediocre and at worst hate it with every grain of my being... but then again I actually don't hate all Uwe Boll films. I guess the issue is that there are better films to see that I haven't seen and could watch instead. Or better films I have seen that I could watch again.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:59 am
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

Is Battle: LA worth seeing? I have a sneaking feeling I'll at best find it incredibly mediocre and at worst hate it with every grain of my being... but then again I actually don't hate all Uwe Boll films. I guess the issue is that there are better films to see that I haven't seen and could watch instead. Or better films I have seen that I could watch again.

I think it's worth seeing at least once, if you don't totally hate Boll's films, you'll probably at least find it mildly diverting.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:02 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
nitrium wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

I think it's worth seeing at least once, if you don't totally hate Boll's films, you'll probably at least find it mildly diverting.

But Uwe Boll didn't direct Battle: LA....did he?

Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:35 am