Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:23 pm

Wow! What the hell happened?! 
Assistant Director

Post Wow! What the hell happened?!
Wasn't there always an open thread for Oscar feedback?! This place is a ghost town. Congratultions to Jared Leto, anyway. If you're reading this, Jared, good work. I saw the previews for your movie and you were definitely in them.

I'm really shocked. I don't know why, figured people would at least stop by to say something about something. Alright, back to whatever it is I was doing.

Seriously, though. It's fucking weird.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:14 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: Wow! What the hell happened?!
I've been thinking the same thing tonight. Kept stopping by to see if anybody was saying anything. I think we're all like "Oscars? Fuck that noise. It's all about the Pedros here!"

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:23 pm
Profile WWW
Director

I'm enjoying the telecast, but the montages are unusually pointless. Ellen's cracked me up quite a few times. (Yes, indeed, let's order out for pizza, and by all means let's do a group selfie.) I liked Jared Leto and Lupita Ngong'o's acceptance speeches. I'm glad to see Angelina Jolie get the Hersholt award, and wish she'd gotten it on stage. The first time I can remember I cared about that award.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:50 pm
Cinematographer

I'm drowning in alcohol-related sorrow because I can't predict perfectly. It's that moment in Black Swan when Natalie Portman's all, "I just want to be perfect. Wahhhhh."

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:01 am
Director

Most interesting thing so far is ordering pizza.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:07 am
Assistant Director

Good job, Gravity. Cinematographgasm. I'm not actually watching the telecast, just following along on Google. It's great.

Blonde Almond wrote:
I've been thinking the same thing tonight. Kept stopping by to see if anybody was saying anything. I think we're all like "Oscars? Fuck that noise. It's all about the Pedros here!"

Fingers crossed on that one. I'm assuming everyone is over at Kunz's house for his annual Oscar Groping Party. The OPGs are pretty much the place to be if you're lucky enough to get invited. Why, Berardinelli is over there right now feeling up one of Kunz's dying houseplants.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:09 am
Producer

I'm live tweeting Restaurant: Impossible. @InterKen if anyone's interested.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:31 am
Second Unit Director

James B could actually go perfect this year. And that's a sad state of affairs for the Academy when their results are so utterly and completely predictable.

The only award I really cared about this year was Spike Jonze for Her. And I am glad he got that one. The remaining three awards are not going to spring any surprises. We'll see.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:41 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

I'm sad.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:09 am
Director

Crap. JB went perfect. And I was getting ready to force-feed him a review of MOVIE 43. Maybe next year.....

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:13 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
Crap. JB went perfect. And I was getting ready to force-feed him a review of MOVIE 43. Maybe next year.....

Haha, that would have been my choice too. I took a gamble and saw it even though it wasn't screened for critics, worst mistake ever! I will never do something like that again! That's why I was going to pick it. I felt like a review from James would have made it feel like it was somewhat worth sitting through. Had I not seen it, I probably would have forgotten about it. Then my other choice would have been Jack & Jill :twisted:. Movie 43 was worse though, for me.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:19 am
Director

Convictions wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

Haha, that would have been my choice too. I took a gamble and saw it even though it wasn't screened for critics, worst mistake ever! I will never do something like that again! That's why I was going to pick it. I felt like a review from James would have made it feel like it was somewhat worth sitting through. Had I not seen it, I probably would have forgotten about it. Then my other choice would have been Jack & Jill :twisted:. Movie 43 was worse though, for me.

There's a thread somewhere where he mentioned he'll never watch it unless "some sadist" wins one of his contests. He called me "a cruel man" on twitter for suggesting it. :lol:

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:24 am
Director

He really needs to vote on the short film awards. I went 0-3 this year (and missed documentary, too.)

I'm falling in love with Lupita Nyong'o.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:27 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
Convictions wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

There's a thread somewhere where he mentioned he'll never watch it unless "some sadist" wins one of his contests. He called me "a cruel man" on twitter for suggesting it. :lol:

Oh that was you! Haha. Oh well, until next time... :twisted:.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:30 am
Assistant Director

"The winners list looks about as expected," said everyone, including me. Based on a few posts above, I'd rather JB save a few bucks and/or time rather than review something predictably terrible. Passion of Joan of Arc is still the best choice he got from a winner. Too bad ram1312 is dead. I'm guessing.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:34 am
Cinematographer

I had a personal record (19/23, 21/24) and James still beat me. I'm even more sad. :(

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:36 am
Auteur

What about the estimated time of the announcement of Best Picture? Was anyone's time closer then JB's?(didn't watch the ceremony so I don't know myself, to be honest I didn't even know the Oscars were on today, that's how little interest I have in them).

Also Ram last posted a few days ago.

Last edited by Vexer on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:37 am
Director

Mark III wrote:
"The winners list looks about as expected," said everyone, including me. Based on a few posts above, I'd rather JB save a few bucks and/or time rather than review something predictably terrible. Passion of Joan of Arc is still the best choice he got from a winner. Too bad ram1312 is dead. I'm guessing.

No one in criticism has the balls to take down Joan of Arc. His response was boringly predictable.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:38 am
Director

Mark III wrote:

For the record, I already picked a universally regarded good movie in 12 ANGRY MEN. Just thought I'd switch things up if I won again.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:41 am
Assistant Director

KWRoss wrote:
Mark III wrote:

For the record, I already picked a universally regarded good movie in 12 ANGRY MEN. Just thought I'd switch things up if I won again.

You don't have to defend yourself to me, I'm just some guy. It's a foregone conclusion what he'd say about Movie 43 (and I'll grant that one kid that a well-regarded classic will produce the same) but maybe not what he'd say about, just throwing it out there, A Serbian Film. Doesn't really matter, anyone is free to pick anything they want. Even a home movie they made. That'd be something.

Last edited by Mark III on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:51 am