Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:03 pm

Movie Quotes You Love that the World Doesn't (Yet) 
Critic

Post Movie Quotes You Love that the World Doesn't (Yet)
Everyone who watches enough movies finds some quotes that they just love that aren't necessarily loved by the general public. After all, maybe you like "Any of you fucking pricks move, and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!" more than "You know what they call a Quarter Pounder in France?"

So, pretty simple here: movie, quote, and reason you like it.

Movie
Platoon (1986)

Quote:
Capt. Harris: For the record, it's my call. Dump everything you've got left on my pos. I say again, expend all remaining in my perimeter! Lovely fucking war. Bravo Six out.

Reason I like it
First of all, it's incredibly dramatic. The platoon is completely overrun and the situation requires an act of desperation. The only option is to saturate their own position. Also, it sums up Vietnam so well. No real discernible battle lines -- a battle that will end as a "victory" for America but with a huge cost, even if nominally the cost is higher for the enemy.

Lovely fucking war.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:29 pm
Director

Post Re: Movie Quotes You Love that the World Doesn't (Yet)
"My dick is brown, you dumb motherfucker."

From Observe and Report. In the context it's hilarious.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:51 pm
Director

From THE HANGOVER

"Yeah, it's at the corner of 'Get a Map' and 'Fuck Off.'"

Because I can't tell you how many times I'd like to tell people this in real life.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:03 pm
Auteur

There's lots for me, but the most recent one I can think of is from Ride Along:

"How Tall Am I Now?"

It's hard to explain the context, but once you see it you'll get it.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:08 pm
Director

Movie: Thank You For Smoking (2006)

Quote: Bobby Jay Bliss: Did you know that you can fool the breathalyzer test by chewing on activated charcoal tablets?
Polly Bailey: Well, maybe we should change our slogan to "If you must drink and drive, suck charcoal."
Nick Naylor: Won't the police ask about the charcoal in your mouth?
Bobby Jay Bliss: There's not a law against charcoal.
Polly Bailey, Nick Naylor: Yet.

Why: Just the pure absurdity of it.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:46 pm
Producer

From Olympus Has Fallen:

"Why don't you and I play a game of fuck off. You go first."

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:41 am
Critic

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Movie: Thank You For Smoking (2006)

Quote: Bobby Jay Bliss: Did you know that you can fool the breathalyzer test by chewing on activated charcoal tablets?
Polly Bailey: Well, maybe we should change our slogan to "If you must drink and drive, suck charcoal."
Nick Naylor: Won't the police ask about the charcoal in your mouth?
Bobby Jay Bliss: There's not a law against charcoal.
Polly Bailey, Nick Naylor: Yet.

Why: Just the pure absurdity of it.

This one also benefits from crack timing and perfect intonation

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:48 am
Assistant Director

The world will never love my quote. It has had its chance.

Movie
Solaris (1972)

Quote:
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror. We seek contact and will never achieve it.

Reason I like it
Many reasons. Not the least of which is how meaningful it is, how it can apply to virtually any relationship between man and object. In the context of the film, it's said by a character as he loses his temper over the absurd situation that is orbiting Solaris. It comes to me frequently (parts of it, anyway) when I see a person anthropomorphize their dog, their cat, their desk, their backpacks, a book, a vacuum cleaner or even other people. And if you don't think other people can be anthropomorphized, you haven't met enough people. Your language is your own.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:58 am
Producer

I've got a few of these, mostly used among the same small group of friends who get the references.

"What did you do, Ray?" - Ghostbusters (used whenever somebody screws something up)

"Who's Anthony?" - Wayne's World (used as an interruption when someone answers their phone)

"A THOUSAND." - Beavis and Butthead Do America (used whenever someone asks a question with a small numerical answer)

"Lieutenant Dan, ice cream." - Forrest Gump (said in a sing-song voice when holding something out to someone)

Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:20 pm
Second Unit Director

Fat Moe: What have you been doing all these years?

Noodles: Been going to bed early...

I guess you'd have to have been there. In context, it's a good put-down.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:29 pm
Producer

Movie

Rocky Balboa

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that!

Why I like it

Because it sums up Rocky very well. And the sight of a 60 year old Sly Stallone with his beaten face and bloated physique delivering this should be (and perhaps to some, is) ridiculous. BUT, it works. It's quite a touching film in many respects.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:47 am
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:
Movie

Rocky Balboa

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that!

Why I like it

Because it sums up Rocky very well. And the sight of a 60 year old Sly Stallone with his beaten face and bloated physique delivering this should be (and perhaps to some, is) ridiculous. BUT, it works. It's quite a touching film in many respects.

Nice call. A surprisingly decent movie

Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:55 am
Critic

Movie
Chinatown

(muttered) ...as little as possible

Reason I Like It
I probably didn't pick up this line until the 10th time I watched the movie, but it's an incredibly important one. Earlier in the film Faye Dunaway asks Jake what he did in Chinatown and he responds "As little as possible." They talk more and he reveals that a woman got hurt because of something he did -- or didn't do -- and this is a particularly dark chapter in his life.

Now it's the end of the movie and Jake is back in Chinatown
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Despite his best efforts, everything has gone wrong. (By the way I'm not sure there's a movie where evil wins as convincingly as it does in Chinatown). Another woman he cares about is dead. Noah Cross is going to take his daughter and presumably molest her. L.A. is going to continue taking water from the surrounding area and making the bad people rich.

Jake takes it all in, in numb disbelief, and intones "as little as possible" under his breath. Such a great line

Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:07 am