Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:35 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Pulp Fiction - 20 Years On.. 
Director

Post Re: Pulp Fiction - 20 Years On..
I think Forrest Gump is a pretty bad movie, and Pulp Fiction is decent. But Reservoir Dogs bests them both, for its believable pathology.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:16 am
Producer

Forrest Gump has aged really badly IMO

I loved it, up until about the age of 23. After that it dropped like a stone in my estimation.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:18 am
Gaffer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Panos75 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
That said, not liking Pulp Fiction is crazy talk. It's just not something I'm going to be able to comprehend.

First, I never said that Pulp Fiction is a bad movie. It's good diverting fun: nothing more, nothing less.

Also, I will never be able to comprehend the people who trashed Forrest Gump that year. But that's just me.

I don't think that Forrest Gump was a bad film- I just don't think it was anywhere near as good as Pulp Fiction.

Perhaps you meant *overrated* instead of *over-hyped* in your previous post?

Aren't these two adjectives interchangeable? Anyway, I think you get my point. IMHO, Pulp Fiction is a respectable effort but nowhere near the artistic milestone his proponents claim it is.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:42 am
Second Unit Director

Panos75 wrote:
Perhaps you meant *overrated* instead of *over-hyped* in your previous post?
Aren't these two adjectives interchangeable? Anyway, I think you get my point. IMHO, Pulp Fiction is a respectable effort but nowhere near the artistic milestone his proponents claim it is.

I can never remember a film being more overhyped than The Phanton Menace. I thought you meant in general, as in anticipation for it's release, the backlash from fans and the hysteria it created. If you're speaking purely from a critical perspective, although I couldn't disagree more, I can see why you refer to Pulp Fiction as the most over-hyped.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:32 am
Producer

Yeah, when George Lucas himself goes on TV to remind people that it's just a movie and that people need to have well-rounded lives, you know the frenzy over the movie has gotten out of hand.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:45 am
Producer

I've always considered Star Wars, Star Trek, and Lord of the Rings to be basically speaking, religions.

And that has always put me off them a wee bit

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:26 pm
Producer

As someone said recently in my Twitter feed, "If EPISODE VII stinks but people still get excited for the series I'm going to begin classifying STAR WARS fandom as a mental illness."

Personally, at least as far as Star Wars is concerned, I still love the movies, but I'm sick of the fandom surrounding them. I'm not nearly as immersed in Star Trek or other such things, but I'm sure I'd have a similar opinion of them if I were. There are things about the different fandoms that are noble, I'm sure, but from what I've seen, it's mainly an excuse for people with piss-poor attitudes and weird obsessions to get together and complain about shit that doesn't matter.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:20 pm
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
That said, not liking Pulp Fiction is crazy talk. It's just not something I'm going to be able to comprehend.

Maybe this is when you should second-guess yourself most of all.

Or maybe this is when you should second guess these sorts of absurdly pretentious, condescending posts. Good lord, dude. It was a joke, not an indictment of the guy's taste - I had just finished sticking up for him, for Christ's sake. Yet, you somehow misconstrued that and got up on that high horse you don't seem able to get down from. Man, I tell you. I never though the pretentious film buff stereotype had much merit to it, but the more you post, the more I see where it comes from. I'll be sure to ship a fucking beret to your frat house this Christmas.

Vexer wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

Maybe this is when you should second-guess yourself most of all.

I don't think it's "crazy" not to like the film at all, Tarantino's movies simply aren't for everyone. I personally did not care for Inglorious Basterds or Django Unchained.

Well, you not thinking it's "crazy" is just your opinion. I personally did care for Inglorious Basters and Django Unchained.

It's this kind of incredibly rewarding discussion that really elevates this place above the rest of the internet muck. This place is unrivaled in its ability to state, "I liked a movie," or "I disliked a movie." I don't know how this kind of consistent excellence is possible to sustain for three consecutive days, let alone the past few years. It's uncanny, really.

Panos75 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

First, I never said that Pulp Fiction is a bad movie. It's good diverting fun: nothing more, nothing less.

Also, I will never be able to comprehend the people who trashed Forrest Gump that year. But that's just me.

Jesus Fucking Christ.

This is what Reelviews has turned me into today. Thanks a lot, guys.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:27 pm
Director

Pete, you're out of line and wrong to take my post as an insult or condescension as it wasn't intended as either. I was merely trying to suggest that sometimes the most passionate opinions are the ones a person should question and reflect on the most.

Your link, however, IS insulting. You should edit your post and take it off.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:55 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Pete, you're out of line and wrong to take my post as an insult or condescension as it wasn't intended as either. I was merely trying to suggest that sometimes the most passionate opinions are the ones a person should question and reflect on the most.

Your link, however, IS insulting. You should edit your post and take it off.

Agreed, insulting other people just for not agreeing with your opinion makes you sound pretentious and hypocritical.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:05 pm
Cinematographer

While Pete may have come on a little too strong, he brings up a few points I find hard to disagree with.

Panos, you missed his sarcasm at the end of his original post. It happens, it's the Internet. It unfortunately was part of a stream of things Pete was annoyed by. Individually, he probably would have been like "whatever man".

MGames, I'm on your side in that you didn't mean it the way Pete interpreted, but man you can be awfully pretentious sometimes. I don't mean that as an insult and you don't have to agree with me, but you know there was a time when everything you said was met with anger and disdain. Not all of that has gone away.

Vexer... I don't think you added anything of value in your reply. Furthermore, this is a recurring pattern with you, as several posters have pointed out many times (not necessarily in this thread). You post far more than anyone else on here and everyone knows how you feel before you type a letter. (I mean everyone.) You get offended easier than everyone else, too, and it's hard to walk on egg shells around you all the time.

Look, Pete's reply was dickish, but I think it's fair to be frustrated about the state of ReelViews. The forum's best days were when Rob and Ed were adding meaningful thoughts about any movie topic they came across. Now it's a lot of regurgitated replies about things that don't have the same urgency they once did. I'm just as accountable as anyone else because I don't create topics or reply often (or moderate well, depending on your opinion), but a lot of my contributions have been met with more indifference than planned so it's hard to get on that horse again. I'm amazed Mark has returned and it's great that he has because he's injected life into something that wasn't in a pretty place.

I'm not going to change Pete's post or ban him or anything like that, nor am I going to reply to any other issue related to this. PM each other about it because I'm done here. If I receive any other PMs in the next forty-eight hours, they better be about the fucking Pedros. (As a reminder, you have until 10:00 AM on Monday to turn in your ballots.)

Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:11 am
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3