Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:16 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Pulp Fiction - 20 Years On.. 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Pulp Fiction - 20 Years On..
PeachyPete wrote:
Pulp Fiction had a similar effect on me as it did Ken. I watched lots of movies growing up, but even the stuff I loved as a kid and still have nostalgia towards today grabbed me in the way Pulp Fiction did. I was 12 when the movie was released, but didn't see it until I was around 15 or 16. Despite not even really "getting" the movie, I knew it was something different that I loved. I became slight obssessed with the movie, I guess. I'd watch it over and over, think about every detail, try to figure it all out. I was really breaking the movie apart and analyzing it without having much of an idea what I was doing. I loved the movie and loved thinking about it. It jump started my love of movies in a critical, analytical sense. It's not an exaggeration at all to say the movie changed my life.

These days I still love the movie (although I think Basterds is Tarantino's best), partly because of what it means to me personally, partly because of it's stature in the world of film, and partly because it's just an amazing movie. I think the best compliment I can give the movie is that most things you feel nostalgic over start to kind of suck the further removed you are from them, but that's not the case with Pulp Fiction. It's difficult to separate your love of something from nostalgia, but I don't think it's crazy to say Pulp Fiction is great on its own. In fact, it's probably fairly common to think that, which is another huge compliment.

I'm a pussy and can't make a top 5 of the 90s. Those were my formative years as a film watcher, and there are just way too many movies I have a love towards to narrow it down to 5. This would be on there, though. And Fargo, of course.

Cheers Pete. As always, I was looking forward to your response and love the parts highlighted. If you haven't already posted it somewhere else, could you please explain to me why you prefer Inglourious Basterds over Pulp Fiction? There's no dobut in my mind IB is shot better, but it doesn't have the raw energy of PF from my seat. I'd love to read your insight as to why you like IB over PF.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:11 pm
Second Unit Director

I watched Pulp Fiction for the first time last summer and I absolutely see what you guys are all saying about obsession with the movie and how it changed the way you looked at film. It's a film that I always feel like watching, and probably the most wildly entertaining movie I've ever seen. I recommended to a friend shortly after seeing it, and we're obsessed. Always quoting it, reading the screenplay online, just a film we're absolutely in love with. I love it. I just really really love it.

Top 5 in Alphabetical Order

Fight Club
GoodFellas
Life Is Beautiful
Pulp Fiction
The Truman Show

Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:06 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

I too enjoy Pulp Fiction, but I can't say it really changed the way I looked at films as I only got around to seeing it a few years ago.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:09 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
I too enjoy Pulp Fiction.

Holy shit I think hell just froze.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:39 pm
Producer

Flash fact: the ninth and lowest circle of Hell, as described by Dante, is a frozen lake. It is reserved for the worst sinners of all: the betrayers. How bad you were determines how deeply into the lake you sink.

For perspective, Satan is frozen at the top, up to his waist.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:41 pm
Cinematographer

wisey wrote:
Cheers Pete. As always, I was looking forward to your response and love the parts highlighted. If you haven't already posted it somewhere else, could you please explain to me why you prefer Inglourious Basterds over Pulp Fiction? There's no dobut in my mind IB is shot better, but it doesn't have the raw energy of PF from my seat. I'd love to read your insight as to why you like IB over PF.

Thanks, wisey. I think Inglourious Basterds is just more sophisticated filmmaking, with a little more to it than Pulp Fiction. IB is a perfect combination of entertainment and art. Everything the film does, it does for a reason, on large and small levels. I wrote this about the film on my blog a while back, if you'd like a more in-depth analysis.

None of that is a knock against Pulp Fiction, they're just very different movies. You're right, IB isn't as raw or enegertic. IB just has a bit more of what I prefer in a film. They're both amazing, and I wouldn't take issue with anyone liking PF more.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:10 pm
Gaffer

Pulp Fiction was the most overhyped movie of the 90's. I never liked it much and always thought that Reservoir Dogs was much better. There is no particular great flaw for me to hate it, but then again there is also nothing in there to excite or move me.
Sound and fury signifying nothing, as James might say.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:47 pm
Second Unit Director

Panos75 wrote:
Pulp Fiction was the most overhyped movie of the 90's. I never liked it much and always thought that Reservoir Dogs was much better. There is no particular great flaw for me to hate it, but then again there is also nothing in there to excite or move me. Sound and fury signifying nothing, as James might say.

More overhyped than "The Phantom Menace?"

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:01 pm
Producer

I always thought of Reservoir Dogs as journeyman work from Tarantino. It's a great movie, but it feels much more like a writing exercise and some of the dialogue scenes are more baldly contrived. Pulp Fiction is the full flowering of characteristics that were still in their gestation at the time of Reservoir Dogs.

It does make me wonder: if there's nothing compelling in Pulp Fiction, what is there in Reservoir Dogs?

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:22 pm
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
I always thought of Reservoir Dogs as journeyman work from Tarantino. It's a great movie, but it feels much more like a writing exercise and some of the dialogue scenes are more baldly contrived. Pulp Fiction is the full flowering of characteristics that were still in their gestation at the time of Reservoir Dogs.

It does make me wonder: if there's nothing compelling in Pulp Fiction, what is there in Reservoir Dogs?

I'll agree and go one further with the boring claim that movie isn't really that great. I wrote this some time back:
viewtopic.php?p=123966#p123966

Shortcut:
Quote:
I've seen Reservoir Dogs a few times and with each viewing my estimation is weakened. Theoretically, the dialogue is wonderful and snaps but it sounds like it's carefully rehearsed dialog spewed by talented actors. Almost like Mamet's hollow dialogue, the beats sounding nothing like the way real people talk.

This is something I've mentioned before: Mamet's characters sounding like aliens attempting to sound human, well-studied in the tempo of stage plays. Reservoir Dogs is the same, Tarantino's ode to the creative process with a nauseating ear-severing scene. I've learned to really dislike the film.

Reservoir Dogs will always have the ear scene that people seem to remember. For good reason. The whole is so worn, completely built for the stage. If he had to make Reservoir Dogs to make Pulp Fiction, I'll take it.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:46 pm
Director

Ken wrote:

Well, I can answer that. I think the characters in Dogs are more interesting and believable. Michael Madsen as a sadistic psychopath? I believe it. Keitel, Buscemi, Chris Penn, Tim Roth; I found them all believable in this film. Travolta as a hitman? Nah, not believable. All the performances in Fiction feel shallow and a bit uninvolved compared to Dogs. Uma Thurman and Sam Jackson were very entertaining, but believable? Nah.

Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:57 pm
Producer

I acted out the final scene of Reservoir Dogs for high school drama exam.

No doubt I was like like Tommy Wiseau spiked with a bucket of valium

Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:13 am
Gaffer

wisey wrote:
Panos75 wrote:
Pulp Fiction was the most overhyped movie of the 90's. I never liked it much and always thought that Reservoir Dogs was much better. There is no particular great flaw for me to hate it, but then again there is also nothing in there to excite or move me. Sound and fury signifying nothing, as James might say.

More overhyped than "The Phantom Menace?"

The Phantom Menace was massacred from the critics, IIRC.

MGamesCook wrote:
Ken wrote:

Well, I can answer that. I think the characters in Dogs are more interesting and believable. Michael Madsen as a sadistic psychopath? I believe it. Keitel, Buscemi, Chris Penn, Tim Roth; I found them all believable in this film. Travolta as a hitman? Nah, not believable. All the performances in Fiction feel shallow and a bit uninvolved compared to Dogs. Uma Thurman and Sam Jackson were very entertaining, but believable? Nah.

Not only that but by focusing on a single story and taking place (mostly) in a confined space, Tarantino ratchets up the tension effectively. Pulp Fiction instead divides its attention to multiple stories and characters and in the end we don't really care about anyone of them.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:16 am
Producer

I didn't care for any of the characters in Reservoir Dogs either. They were all lamentable. Basically the film aims to be cool shit that happens on screen - dialogue, acting, interactions, story - and at all those things Pulp Fiction is far better.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:50 am
Cinematographer

Panos75 wrote:
Pulp Fiction was the most overhyped movie of the 90's.

Wrong. Most people had no idea who Quentin Tarantino was, as Reservoir Dogs didn't have a large mainstream release. I realize that this is likely your opinion, but it is still wrong.

For me, Pulp Fiction was one of the defining films of its time- one of the signs is the many knockoffs it spawned, as the rest of Hollywood tried to cash in on its popularity. I remember looking forward to seeing the film after having seen Dogs and remember how horrified my mother was because she stopped watching Dogs right in the middle of the Mr. Blond torture scene. The fact that Fiction was released the same year that Kurt Cobain died made it all the more memorable for me.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:15 pm
Cinematographer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Panos75 wrote:
Pulp Fiction was the most overhyped movie of the 90's.

Wrong. Most people had no idea who Quentin Tarantino was, as Reservoir Dogs didn't have a large mainstream release. I realize that this is likely your opinion, but it is still wrong.

I disagree with his stance, but I think it's a perfectly reasonable one to have if you don't like the movie. It may not have had Phantom Menace-esque hype leading up to it's release, but it was a HUGE movie in every regard from basically the instant it came out. It was financially successful (10th in gross for the year for an independent release in 1994 is pretty amazing), critically lauded as "important" almost instantly, and became something of a cultural touchstone. I was 12 when it was released and remember hearing about it endlessly.

I think it's more than fair to call it a hyped movie, and if you end up not liking it, it's perfectly ok to say it's overhyped.

That said, not liking Pulp Fiction is crazy talk. It's just not something I'm going to be able to comprehend.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:29 pm
Director

Quote:
That said, not liking Pulp Fiction is crazy talk. It's just not something I'm going to be able to comprehend.

Maybe this is when you should second-guess yourself most of all.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:53 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

Maybe this is when you should second-guess yourself most of all.

I don't think it's "crazy" not to like the film at all, Tarantino's movies simply aren't for everyone. I personally did not care for Inglorious Basterds or Django Unchained.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:00 pm
Gaffer

PeachyPete wrote:

First, I never said that Pulp Fiction is a bad movie. It's good diverting fun: nothing more, nothing less.

Also, I will never be able to comprehend the people who trashed Forrest Gump that year. But that's just me.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:22 pm
Cinematographer

Panos75 wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:

First, I never said that Pulp Fiction is a bad movie. It's good diverting fun: nothing more, nothing less.

Also, I will never be able to comprehend the people who trashed Forrest Gump that year. But that's just me.

I don't think that Forrest Gump was a bad film- I just don't think it was anywhere near as good as Pulp Fiction.

Perhaps you meant *overrated* instead of *over-hyped* in your previous post?

Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:54 am
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next