Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:05 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Pulp Fiction - 20 Years On.. 
Second Unit Director

Post Pulp Fiction - 20 Years On..
This is the film that made me follow Director's. I was young, working as an apprentice barber and needed an outlet. I had ginger brown hair that was balding, but I could get away with it. Put simply, I am about me.

Seriously though, what do you guys think twenty years down the track? How well has it aged? Is it the coolest movie ever made?

For me, this is the film that defined the 90's. I'll never forget where I was as a 17 year old kid, who I sat next to at the cinema and how we reacted when this instant classic was released. In the years after it's release it almost became cool to not think Pulp Fiction was the bomb. People started liking Boogie Nights, Dazed and Confused, even L.A. (fucking) Confidential and (the very warranted) Goodfellas, more than this masterpiece, perhaps to be different? It wasn't very original in the 90's to say Pulp Fiction is the best film of the decade, or maybe ever made.

What is your Pulp Fiction experience? To put it into relevence too, please name your top five films of the 90's...

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Goodfellas
3. Fargo
4. Living in Oblivion
5. Heat

Edit : Trainspotting just fucking has to be in the top five. Maybe that can alternate with Heat on each viewing.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:30 am
Producer

Post Re: Pulp Fiction - 20 Years On..
I still rank it awfully high. For me it still stands out as QT's best work.

I watched it at an impressionable age (14 ), after years of plot driven stuff, and it kind of took over my mental faculties for a while.

My only issue with it today is the rip-off, spawn-of-satan stuff it inspired in less talented hacks. Pulp Fiction employed a nonlinear narrative, but that not all it did you reductive bastards!

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:52 am
Producer

Top 5 of the 90s, hmmm

In chronological order -

Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
The Big Lebowski
Saving Private Ryan
Fight Club

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:54 am
Cinematographer

I've never re-watched Pulp Fiction, but it was the coolest movie of its time period.

My top five 90's would be:

Braveheart
The Silence of the Lambs
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Forrest Gump

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:36 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

I actually came to the part a bit late and didn't see Pulp Fiction until 2003. I'd just seen Reservoir Dogs for the first time near the end of 2002 and was absolutely blown away by it, which made me all the more excited for the opportunity to finally see Pulp Fiction. To say that I was astonished might be an understatement. Both films are now at the top of my all-time favorites with the 1994 film getting a slight edge. As for the rest of my Top 5 of the 90's I would say L.A Confidential, Fight Club and Goodfellas or Saving Private Ryan; really tough choice here!

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
Director

And don't forget about how influential The Gimp was. It inspired that glorious Batsuit a mere three years later in BATMAN & ROBIN!

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Wait, what? It didn't? Huh, could've fooled me

On a more serious note, my five best movies of the 90s.....

Dark City
Fight Club
Princess Mononoke (my fav. animated movie of all time)
Pulp Fiction
Braveheart

Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:09 pm
Producer

Pulp Fiction isn't one of my favorites. It's very entertaining, but VISUALLY, it's nothing special. From where I sit, it seems like three 90s crime films (Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, Fargo) endlessly compete for which one is most loved. But personally, I just don't care. I don't really understand the obsession with crime or gangster movies because visually, most of them don't have that much to offer. From a visual standpoint, 90s was all about high concept sci-fi and fantasy.

My favorite 90s flicks:

Groundhog Day
Space Jam
Small Soldiers
Truman Show
Dark City
Total Recall
Demolition Man
Twelve Monkeys
Batman Returns
Space Truckers

But my favorite more "respectable" 90s flick is probably Saving Private Ryan. Silence of the Lambs is also pretty good. But I prefer Fargo and Goodfellas to Pulp Fiction, all things considered.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:55 pm
Assistant Director

I was in high school when this came out and, by the time it occurred to us that we should see it, the movie had started to become something like The Beatles. The ads were crazy, boasting that it was the 'most entertaining' and so on. Some of us thought it looked like more stylish violence, Natural Born Killers having come out a few months earlier.

Anyway, it was all very confusing: it looked like it took place simultaneously in 1990 and 1950, had stuff that (to us) had no analogy (syringe to the heart, Marvin shot in the face) and added up to something the ads said was amazing but didn't really resolve out of the blitzkrieg of kook that was Pulp Fiction. There was something addictive in it: certain scenes were so cool that it was worth watching a second or third time in the theater. More than that. Jurassic Park was the same way the year before: see it once, see it five times. Eventually Pulp Fiction made sense. Later on, it made more sense when I saw some of the things that had fermented in QT's brain while he was shelving videos.

I still love the movie, still feel that the Bruce Willis section is comparitively weaker than the rest, find my favorite scenes are still as cool as they were when I was in high school. It may have been the first movie I felt defensive over: if you didn't like it, you must be defective, how could you not like it, why didn't you see how awesome it was?! I eventually stopped caring so much but, man, we all loved that movie like a first girlfriend. It doesn't seem (note that I used the word 'seem') that there's anything quite as Beatles-ish any more. Do people still go new releases 7 times, want to tell everyone they know about it? Maybe. It was as if we all had a virus about the movie. That was cool. Must have been because I was 14. Wish I could still feel the same way about something but I usually just move on to the next thing.

Some great ones from the 90s:
Boogie Nights (I wanted to be one of the cool kids)
Red
Deconstructing Harry
Being John Malkovich
others

Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:47 am
Second Unit Director

Mark III wrote:
I was in high school when this came out and, by the time it occurred to us that we should see it, the movie had started to become something like The Beatles. The ads were crazy, boasting that it was the 'most entertaining' and so on. Some of us thought it looked like more stylish violence, Natural Born Killers having come out a few months earlier.

Anyway, it was all very confusing: it looked like it took place simultaneously in 1990 and 1950, had stuff that (to us) had no analogy (syringe to the heart, Marvin shot in the face) and added up to something the ads said was amazing but didn't really resolve out of the blitzkrieg of kook that was Pulp Fiction. There was something addictive in it: certain scenes were so cool that it was worth watching a second or third time in the theater. More than that. Jurassic Park was the same way the year before: see it once, see it five times. Eventually Pulp Fiction made sense. Later on, it made more sense when I saw some of the things that had fermented in QT's brain while he was shelving videos.

I still love the movie, still feel that the Bruce Willis section is comparitively weaker than the rest, find my favorite scenes are still as cool as they were when I was in high school. It may have been the first movie I felt defensive over: if you didn't like it, you must be defective, how could you not like it, why didn't you see how awesome it was?! I eventually stopped caring so much but, man, we all loved that movie like a first girlfriend. It doesn't seem (note that I used the word 'seem') that there's anything quite as Beatles-ish any more. Do people still go new releases 7 times, want to tell everyone they know about it? Maybe. It was as if we all had a virus about the movie. That was cool. Must have been because I was 14. Wish I could still feel the same way about something but I usually just move on to the next thing.

Some great ones from the 90s:
Boogie Nights (I wanted to be one of the cool kids)
Red
Deconstructing Harry
Being John Malkovich
others

It's great when you write something like that major, with so much passion and logic. It really did have a following that's hard to explain, possibly like Beatlemania? I would've seen it at least eight times in the cinema and that never happens anymore, rarely watch a film more than twice nowadays. Like the first girlfriend reference too, I'd liken it to my first love. I love Pulp Fiction in a way that I never have any other film since, it's timeless.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:24 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Pulp Fiction isn't one of my favorites. It's very entertaining, but VISUALLY, it's nothing special. From where I sit, it seems like three 90s crime films (Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, Fargo) endlessly compete for which one is most loved. But personally, I just don't care. I don't really understand the obsession with crime or gangster movies because visually, most of them don't have that much to offer. From a visual standpoint, 90s was all about high concept sci-fi and fantasy.

My favorite 90s flicks:

Groundhog Day
Space Jam
Small Soldiers
Truman Show
Dark City
Total Recall
Demolition Man
Twelve Monkeys
Batman Returns
Space Truckers

But my favorite more "respectable" 90s flick is probably Saving Private Ryan. Silence of the Lambs is also pretty good. But I prefer Fargo and Goodfellas to Pulp Fiction, all things considered.

So you like Space Jam more than Pulp Fiction. That's fantastic. You really are an incredibly intriguing, diverse human being and your love of VISUAL entertainment is so genuine and authentic, it makes me want to get inside your head and see through your eyes.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:50 am
Producer

Quote:
So you like Space Jam more than Pulp Fiction. That's fantastic. You really are an incredibly intriguing, diverse human being and your love of VISUAL entertainment is so genuine and authentic, it makes me want to get inside your head and see through your eyes.

Thanks.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:05 am
Second Unit Director

Pulp is hilarious, but it's not among my all-time faves.

My top 5 90s flicks:

Magnolia
Fargo
Spring Forward
American Movie
The Sweet Hereafter

Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:30 am
Producer

Pulp Fiction was a life changer for me. I was always a movie kid, but I was taking a more serious interest in movies in high school. Pulp Fiction hit me right around the start of college, and it was the first time that I was really conscious of film as a construction of stylistic elements, the same as a language. It was a treasure trove.

Looking back at its place in history, you can also see its significance as an artifact. It was a watershed moment in low-budget, street-level filmmaking, by and for regular people.

I still love Pulp Fiction. My affection and appreciation for it haven't diminished a bit. Pulp Fiction and Crumb are probably tied for my favorite film of the 1990s.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:16 am
Producer

Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece and hit me at an impressionable age too, but it did spawned lots of fugasies. Although I can't and don't blame QT for that.

Interesting that a couple of us mention Braveheart, I recently rewatched it. It's a film I've always had a soft spot for, despite its somewhat anti-Englishness and the fact I grew up in a 50% Scottish neighbourhood. What strikes me now is just how amateur a production it is overall. I'm surprised it won best Director.

Still an enjoyable piece of warrior trash though.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:46 am
Director

Loved Braveheart, and I think the direction is great. Although after looking up the year, if it was up to me I would have given it Ron Howard for Apollo 13, who wasn't even nominated.

Pulp Fiction
is another film that needs a rewatch for me to give it a fair shake. Seen it at 12 and spent most of the time , if I remember correctly, flabbergasted by its unusual structure to enjoy it fully. As of now I loved Reservoir Dogs and Inglorious Basterds more, although I saw both of them very later in life. The energy and some images from the film remain indelible in my mind though: any horror film still has yet to make me jump like that car bump, and Travolta's and Thurman's night out (and that subsequent needle) is one of my first "movie magic" moments.

Top five films of the 90s..

Schindler's List
Contact
Before Sunrise
Braveheart
Speed

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:10 am
Second Unit Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
Pulp Fiction is a masterpiece and hit me at an impressionable age too, but it did spawned lots of fugasies. Although I can't and don't blame QT for that.

Interesting that a couple of us mention Braveheart, I recently rewatched it. It's a film I've always had a soft spot for, despite its somewhat anti-Englishness and the fact I grew up in a 50% Scottish neighbourhood. What strikes me now is just how amateur a production it is overall. I'm surprised it won best Director.

Still an enjoyable piece of warrior trash though.

Dude, I think I know exactly what you mean? I watched it less than two weeks ago and was astonished at how bad it's aged. Forget Mel Gibson's crazy eyes nonsense, watch the battle scene's on bluray and it's almost comical. Towards the end of the second "big battle scene" it looks like two extra's are having a laugh, mucking around with fake swords. It's so amateur-ish it's hard to take the film seriously.

Anyway, it seems like Saving Private Ryan has a lot of love on this fourm. The battle scenes are amazing, beyond amazing really, but I've never been able to stomach the dialogue. The conversation about FUBAR is just hopeless. I thought Schindler's List would've been the Spielberg film most loved, but it doesn't seem so.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:15 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
Pulp Fiction was a life changer for me. I was always a movie kid, but I was taking a more serious interest in movies in high school. Pulp Fiction hit me right around the start of college, and it was the first time that I was really conscious of film as a construction of stylistic elements, the same as a language. It was a treasure trove.

Looking back at its place in history, you can also see its significance as an artifact. It was a watershed moment in low-budget, street-level filmmaking, by and for regular people.

I still love Pulp Fiction. My affection and appreciation for it haven't diminished a bit. Pulp Fiction and Crumb are probably tied for my favorite film of the 1990s.

Interesting Ken. After reading alot of your comments about film over the past five years, I would've thought Taxi Driver or Superman would've have been the life changing films for you? Perhaps they were too?

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:00 am
Producer

I have special relationships to both of those movies. Taxi Driver is a film I originally saw as a teenager, and while I appreciated it on the level of craft, I'm not sure I quite communed with it on a personal level. At age 20, I hit a pretty rough patch in my life. I don't think I watched Taxi Driver during that time period, but I did watch it soon after, and when I did, I understood completely. Not necessarily the violent tendencies, but certainly the sense of isolation and the self-negating, borderline self-destructive instincts. It's a movie that I think was made to reach out to people who've had those experiences and feelings. Art can grant you a sort of perspective in the moments you need it most. That's what Travis Bickle never had, and that's one of the reasons why his story turned out the way that it did.

Superman is quite literally the first movie I ever remember watching. My earliest movie memories are of Superman. While it might not always be number one on my favorites list, it is the longest running title on that list by far. About 26 years and counting. I was a big fan of Superman as a child, kind of grew away from him in my teenage years, then came back around soon after that. He's the ultimate can-do, salt-of-the-earth folk hero. The movie itself, I loved for the simple fact that it was a tremendous spark to my imagination--a man who could fly and do all these amazing things. As the years have passed, I've continually found new things about it to fascinate me, and I think that's an essential characteristic of good art. It was and continues to be a source of pure, simply joy for me. The quintessential big-hearted adventure movie.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:29 am
Cinematographer

Pulp Fiction had a similar effect on me as it did Ken. I watched lots of movies growing up, but even the stuff I loved as a kid and still have nostalgia towards today grabbed me in the way Pulp Fiction did. I was 12 when the movie was released, but didn't see it until I was around 15 or 16. Despite not even really "getting" the movie, I knew it was something different that I loved. I became slight obssessed with the movie, I guess. I'd watch it over and over, think about every detail, try to figure it all out. I was really breaking the movie apart and analyzing it without having much of an idea what I was doing. I loved the movie and loved thinking about it. It jump started my love of movies in a critical, analytical sense. It's not an exaggeration at all to say the movie changed my life.

These days I still love the movie (although I think Basterds is Tarantino's best), partly because of what it means to me personally, partly because of it's stature in the world of film, and partly because it's just an amazing movie. I think the best compliment I can give the movie is that most things you feel nostalgic over start to kind of suck the further removed you are from them, but that's not the case with Pulp Fiction. It's difficult to separate your love of something from nostalgia, but I don't think it's crazy to say Pulp Fiction is great on its own. In fact, it's probably fairly common to think that, which is another huge compliment.

I'm a pussy and can't make a top 5 of the 90s. Those were my formative years as a film watcher, and there are just way too many movies I have a love towards to narrow it down to 5. This would be on there, though. And Fargo, of course.

Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:44 am
Producer

Wisey -

Quote:
Towards the end of the second "big battle scene" it looks like two extra's are having a laugh, mucking around with fake swords. It's so amateur-ish it's hard to take the film seriously.

Holy shit, yes! I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that!

How the hell did that sneak past quality control?

Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:05 am
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next