Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:35 am

Sir Anthony Hopkins 
Producer

Post Sir Anthony Hopkins
I know a fashionable Anglophilia runs through Hollywood, but hell this man can act

Just watched Hannibal, whatever you may say about the film, TH fucking rocks!

Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:42 pm
Director

Post Re: Sir Anthony Hopkins
He never over-emote once during The Remains of the Day, and yet he is utterly heartbreaking in that. The force of that ending is really tough because of him. Great actor.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:18 pm
Producer

Obviously Hannibal Lecter is his greatest role. But his most underrated performance, IMO, is in Meet Joe Black. It's an incredibly moving performance where plays a man facing the end of his life. I also loved his performance in Proof where he is playing a dead character and the figment of Gwyneth Paltrow's imagination.

Also, it's a testament to his talent, his charisma and his pure coolness that I was able to buy him as Zorro even though if that character were played by any other actor of Hopkins' built, I'd say he would have needed to loose weight for the part.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:15 am
Auteur

He was pretty much the only good thing about Meet Joe Black, I would've enjoyed his performance more if I was actually to stay awake during the film.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:47 am
Producer

I love Meet Joe Black. Didn't find it remotely boring. It's 3 hours that flew by very quickly to me.

And Claire Forlani was also quite wonderful in the movie, besides Hopkins.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:05 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
I love Meet Joe Black. Didn't find it remotely boring. It's 3 hours that flew by very quickly to me.

And Claire Forlani was also quite wonderful in the movie, besides Hopkins.

I pretty much agree with JB's review of the film, the main problem is everyone speaks so very slowly for no apparent reason, the movie just feels ridiculously bloated and does nothing to justify it's 3 hour runtime.

Last edited by Vexer on Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:21 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
I pretty much agree with JB's review of the film, the main problem is everyone speaks so very slowly for no apparent reason, the movie jsut feels ridiculously bloated and does nothing to earn it's 3 hour runtime.

Agreed. MJB is the very definition of "plodding". It's actually not a terrible movie conceptually... just the way it was constructed was all wrong.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:03 am
Second Unit Director

I'd submit World's Fastest Indian as additional evidence of Hopkins' ability to inhabit a character. To fully appreciate it you must view the special feature "Offerings to the Gods of Speed" and see the real Burt Munro and his mannerisms.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:12 am
Second Unit Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Obviously Hannibal Lecter is his greatest role. But his most underrated performance, IMO, is in Meet Joe Black. It's an incredibly moving performance where plays a man facing the end of his life. I also loved his performance in Proof where he is playing a dead character and the figment of Gwyneth Paltrow's imagination.

Also, it's a testament to his talent, his charisma and his pure coolness that I was able to buy him as Zorro even though if that character were played by any other actor of Hopkins' built, I'd say he would have needed to loose weight for the part.

I don't mean to hijack this thread (nor pick on ilovemovies), but one of the most annoying trends I've been seeing on Internet posts is the constant misspelling of the word lose (and it's variants, such as losing) with loose.

These are two different words with very different meanings. People do not "loose" weight, they "lose" weight -- "loose" refers to something not being tight (e.g. loose pants, loose knot, etc.).

Just my rant for the day! :x

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:58 pm
Second Unit Director

verb: loose; 3rd person present: looses; past tense: loosed; past participle: loosed; gerund or present participle: loosing
Defn.
-set free; release.

I hope I can loose some weight this March. :lol:

(Where's the poke-him-with-a-stick emoticon?)

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:04 pm