Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:45 am

"Is it worth seeing on the big screen?" 
Producer

Post Re: "Is it worth seeing on the big screen?"
Ken wrote:
In the case of Gravity, I'm not speaking of the marketing--purely of my own experience. There are many "You gotta see it on the big screen in 3D!" movies--Gravity, Avatar, Hugo, etc. We're always assured that this time, this one actually justifies it. In my experience, Gravity is the only case in which it turned out to be true--a film that genuinely takes advantage of the differences. No other hyped-up 3D special effects movie has merited it.

3 words: Life of Pi. I actually thought the 3D in that movie was even more impressive than Gravity's.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:09 am
Director

No movie imo is "worth seeing" on the big screen, except to see it before release on disk, i.e. the only reason I go the the movies is to watch a SPECIFIC movie, not for some sort of "added value" of seeing it on the big screen. I don't get all caught up in blockbuster cinema spectacle, mainly because I have so little regard for that type of film in the first place (not that I DON'T enjoy them, just that seeing them on the big screen doesn't excite me any more than seeing it on my tiny (by today's standards) 40" living room screen). In other words, big spectacle blockbusters are on equal footing with low-budget indies for me - it has to pique my interest to get me to shell out the premium and inconvenience regardless of spectacle.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:55 am
Producer

I think there's something to be said for spectacle, and a film can be shot in a way that will have greater impact on a big screen and less on a smaller one. Most films aren't like that, but some are.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:19 am
Producer

nitrium wrote:
No movie imo is "worth seeing" on the big screen, except to see it before release on disk, i.e. the only reason I go the the movies is to watch a SPECIFIC movie, not for some sort of "added value" of seeing it on the big screen. I don't get all caught up in blockbuster cinema spectacle, mainly because I have so little regard for that type of film in the first place (not that I DON'T enjoy them, just that seeing them on the big screen doesn't excite me any more than seeing it on my tiny (by today's standards) 40" living room screen). In other words, big spectacle blockbusters are on equal footing with low-budget indies for me - it has to pique my interest to get me to shell out the premium and inconvenience regardless of spectacle.

Okay, that's pretty much in tune with my thinking. But what about the difference in crowd experience? Not necessarily in the cheering or laughing or gasping together, but in the pure simple sense of camaraderie that's palpable in the air, if it's the right kind of movie to bring people together. That's where I observe the biggest difference, if any, between movies that are more suitable for theatrical viewing and ones suitable for home viewing.

Here are two "spectacle" type movies for example. To me, seeing The Dark Knight theatrically was an "artbook" experience in that it was positively enhanced by the knowledge that I was viewing in a communal atmosphere. Seeing The Tree Of Life, as spectacular as it looked up there on the big screen, was nothing of the sort.

I mean, I do think that a movie (any movie) plays differently when you change the screen size, audio setup, etc. It's not just a spectacle thing--the physical scale of the presentation itself has an effect on your brain differently, and sometimes, that difference of effect is desirable. You just notice things differently with a bigger screen and broader spectrum audio. I've definitely made the trip out to many classic movie screenings purely for this purpose. But I don't think that's the dominant difference between theater viewing and home viewing, not by a long shot... hence all my rambling.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:24 am
Producer

The effect you describe can be achieved simply by inviting a few friends over to watch the movie at your home, if they haven't seen it before.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:12 am
Producer

Waaay different experience, though certainly related.

One of the chief differences being that in a living room with your friends, you've got about five seconds before everybody is riffing the movie.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:46 am
Producer

Quote:
One of the chief differences being that in a living room with your friends, you've got about five seconds before everybody is riffing the movie.

I find that riffing to be interesting and informative when it happens. Though often the movie is good enough to keep people relatively quiet.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:48 am
Second Unit Director

I don't enjoy viewing movies with an audience. I try to get to the theater when there is likely to be the fewest people there. I don't want to hear crunching popcorn or that hollow gurgle when someone hits the bottom of their drink. It doesn't take a crowd for me to enjoy a sunset or a painting or a sculpture. I absolutely can NOT go to a concert anymore. Hearing drunk or stoned idiots singing along... Really!?!? I paid how much to hear group karaoke? Classical or accoustic I can tolerate, but my love of crowds in an entertainment venue is gone.

I don't go to a theater for the audience; I go for the movie.

As for "big screen" appeal? There are some worlds of escapism where I want to be immersed. Having images taller than I am is far better. But then I sit near the front as well; no farther than one screen width back. Those worlds of immersion make my dollar well-spent "to see it on the big screen". In fact, there are movies I've seen many times before, that I'd happily pay to see again on a big screen.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:29 pm