Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:49 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
The Pedros: For Your Consideration 2013 
Cinematographer

Post Re: The Pedros: For Your Consideration 2013
I want to piggyback a few of these suggestions made in this thread in light of recent viewings I had.

Shade2 wrote:
Short Term 12: Best Picture, Best Actress (Brie Larson), Best Supporting Actor (John Gallagher Jr.), Best Director & Original Screenplay (Destin Cretton). The best thing I can say about this film is that it's not what you might think it is. People start pimping a lived-in, handheld-camera indie film and most of us find that our teeth start itching and the film slides down and down on our list -- we have some desire to watch it, but never follow through. Don't let that happen. This is a legitimately great film, remarkably perceptive and incredibly well acted. It's accessible, pacy in its own way and never dull. It's heart-warming at times, but it earns that emotion. One of the great films of the year.
This was the first suggestion of the thread and it's one of the best ones. Short Term 12 is an excellent portrayal of young, troubled kids who are just trying to come into their own. Keith Stanfield was great a Marcus (he'd be up for supporting actor) and Kaitlyn Dever was just as great as Jayden (she'd be up for supporting actress). If there's any film from this year deserving of the ensemble cast award, it might be this one. Thoughts on John Gallagher Jr. being a lead?

peng wrote:
Spring Breakers: Best Supporting Actor (for James Franco).

Stories We Tell: Best Documentary. I know The Act of Killing is big (and deservedly so), but this shouldn't also be overlooked; my favorite doc this year.
I just saw Stories We Tell last night and it's one of my favorites from 2013. It's a fascinating look at how storytelling affects family and how memory is unreliable. It's also an insanely private look at a situation that most people wouldn't want to advertise to the world. Not only should it be nominated in the Best Documentary category, but the Best Editing category as well. Editing is crucial to any type of storytelling and this documentary flaunts that. Also, I'm firmly on the James Franco bandwagon. I like his monologue about all his shit. He really sells that scene.

Vexer wrote:
Best supporting actress: Octavia Spencer, she was the best thing about The Help(mediocre as it was) and she really knocks it out of the park in Fruitvale Station.
I agree with this, but I also want to highlight Melonie Diaz. What could have been a thankless role, she does quite a bit to make her presence memorable.

And now, a few more suggestions of my own.

Wadjda: Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Original Screenplay, at least Best Foreign Language Film
The Square: Best Documentary
Frances Ha: Best Actress - Greta Gerwig
The Past: Best Actress - Berenice Bejo
The Kings of Summer: Art direction? Original screenplay? I don't know, but I feel like it deserves something. Check it out, guys, it's funny. (I realize I'm not selling it particularly well.)

I haven't seen The Wind Rises or Ernest and Celestine yet, but I liked The Croods, Despicable Me 2, and Frozen more than Monsters University. I initially thought the Academy made a huge snub in that category, but I might wind up agreeing with them. I say this with great respect to peng who's a fan of Monsters University.

Has anyone seen Behind the Candelabra? We've accepted consideration for direct-to-DVD releases before... what about TV films? It's worth noting that it received a theatrical release in the UK and played at the Cannes Film Festival.

And the HEY GUYS, PLEASE DON'T FORGET ABOUT THESE:

Before Midnight (all major categories, art direction)
Blue is the Warmest Color (all major categories, makeup)

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:15 pm
Second Unit Director

Scarlett Johannson for Best Actress for Her! Best disembodied voice ever! Phoenix of course gets my vote too, but Johannson did something remarkable, without her vocal work the film wouldn't have been nearly so affecting. One accepts Samantha as a character and believes someone could fall in love with "Her." It's my outside-the-box pick, because it seems voice acting gets short shrift in mainstream awards.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:33 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

The Hunt: Along with Best Actor for Mads Mikkelsen (already covered in this thread), consider votes for Best Ensemble Cast and Best Original Screenplay.

Saving Mr. Banks: Colin Farrell for Best Supporting Actor. A very good but underdiscussed performance.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:58 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Antonio Campos for direction, Simon Killer being the movie. Thought it was ineligible for inclusion but saw it on this list: http://www.movieinsider.com/movies/-/2013/

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:04 am
Producer

I'm probably the only one who saw it theatrically, but the Doctor Who special "The Day of the Doctor" will be making a couple appearances on my ballot. It may not be a big-budget Hollywood feature, but the story is more inventive and the actors are more alive in their roles than you'd see in most Hollywood features anyway.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:08 am
Assistant Director

So what's not, under any conditions, eligible? Other than the obvious, I mean.

If I saw a Frontline documentary in a university theater, could I consider it for best documentary? I realize that Day of the Doctor had a single day theatrical release but where should I be drawing the line? Does it have to have had a wide release (thus making Sharknado a contender) or are we just going with our gut? What about HBO movies? Seems unjust that Sharknado could get a best supporting actress nom for Tara Reid but Michael Douglas isn't allowed recognition.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:35 am
Producer

Welcome to the 21st century, when "movie" no longer has a reliable definition.

I included The Day of the Doctor because it is a feature-length narrative motion picture with the structure of a movie and was exhibited in movie theaters during the relevant time period. That it is nominally a special production associated with a TV show is not a concern. Plus, I totally shared a soda with a girl who I swear to god I will at some point go on a real date with.

I included Tomorrow Night, because while it is a feature film that was made and initially exhibited decades ago, it was not released to the general public (as a digital download, to boot) until recently.

Plus, really, if I didn't include either of these movies--which are both deserving of consideration anyhow--my pickings would be unfortunately slim. There are a couple titles I wish I'd gotten out to see (Her, Llewyn Davis) that might have rectified that situation, but here we are.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:45 am
Director

TV and DTV movies are (or should be) eligible. I've nominated Behind the Candelabra for a couple of categories myself (not Douglas, but only because lead actors are so damn strong this year). I forgot catch up on HBO's Phil Spector movie, written and directed by David Mamet (with Al Pacino and Helen Mirren starring). That could have been a strong candidate.

It's a little fuzzy when it comes to things related to a TV series, I think. Movie-length specials sound all right though (although I will be pretty tempted next year to nominate something from Sherlock).

Pedro wrote:
I liked The Croods, Despicable Me 2, and Frozen more than Monsters University. I initially thought the Academy made a huge snub in that category, but I might wind up agreeing with them. I say this with great respect to peng who's a fan of Monsters University.

Just saw this. I could see people preferring The Croods or Frozen instad of Monsters University, but having Despicable Me 2 over MU makes me a bit sad. I don't know how JB can rate it higher than Ice Age 2; they're about the same quality to my eyes.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:56 am
Assistant Director

Well then! Congratulations to Aziz Ansari and his Netflix stand-up special Buried Alive, among the best documentaries of the year.

I'm happy that I now have two nominees for that field.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:12 am
Cinematographer

I don't want to say you can nominate for whatever you want, but if it came out last year and resembles a movie, I don't see why it shouldn't be eligible. I don't want to nominate the collective episode of Breaking Bad as one movie just because the show ended in 2013, but Behind the Candelabra and stand-up seem like fair game. Ken's argument for The Day of the Doctor is sound and I don't have much to use in arguing against it.

That being said, the way votes are tallied now prevents things like The Girlfriend Experience and Melanie Lynskey in The Informant! from getting nominated. More than one person needs to vote for a movie, thus indicating forum-wide interest. I don't think the Aziz Ansari stand-up or The Day of the Doctor will be nominated for anything as a result, but hey, I've been wrong before. (Although I think it's cool we nominated The Girlfriend Experience for Best Picture, in truth, it's pretty hard to use the pronoun "we" in this scenario.)

Also that being said, Simon Killer looks like a film the forum should check out in this final week. This is another one that seems unlikely to be nominated, but it could be the kind of film that strikes a chord with certain kinds of voters, so... get to watching shit, my good people. I'm watching The Spectacular Now tonight or tomorrow.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:19 pm
Critic

Oh come on, people. I mean, as Pedro said, it's not likely to matter much, but The Day of the Doctor was not a movie in any way.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:31 pm
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
Oh come on, people. I mean, as Pedro said, it's not likely to matter much, but The Day of the Doctor was not a movie in any way.

Of course it was. I seent it.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:32 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

Of course it was. I seent it.

Did you viddy it on the screen?

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:44 pm
Producer

Yes, at the ol' cinny. Real horrorshow. Although they clipped my glazzies open and put wires on my gulliver.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:49 pm
Producer

Wait, so submitting our nominations have already began? Do you give a PM our nominees? And when is the deadline to send them in?

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:44 am
Producer

March 3rd, I think. Send your noms to Pedro.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:04 am
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
March 3rd, I think. Send your noms to Pedro.

That. I usually end up extending the deadline by a day or two, but let's stick with that for now.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:39 am
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
Thoughts on John Gallagher Jr. being a lead?

This is always and interesting discussion. In general I feel like most movies have a female and male lead, and some movies have no lead at all. I think John G. Jr. in this case is a supporting role, and I feel that way partially because of how he functions in the plot in relation to Larson -- he's far from a cliched script element, but he does exist only in relation to her within the film itself.

What are our thoughts on American Hustle's leads/non-leads? I've read in more than one place that Cooper is on-screen a few moments more than Bale is -- and either way, I think a case could be made that Bale, Cooper and Adams are all leads. Some might say it's a film without a lead (clearly J-Law and Renner are supporting), but I wouldn't go that far in this case. As viewers we're all probably guilty of being swayed by where a story starts, and so it always feels like Bale and Adams are the leads. Of course, I won't be nominating any of them, but I'm wondering where Pedrovsky stands on this.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:43 am
Producer

I tend to think the lead is whichever character's arc is most dominant in the story. For my money, that means Bale and Adams are leads and Lawrence, Renner, and Cooper are all support.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:03 am
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
I tend to think the lead is whichever character's arc is most dominant in the story. For my money, that means Bale and Adams are leads and Lawrence, Renner, and Cooper are all support.

That.

Shade wrote:
This is always and interesting discussion. In general I feel like most movies have a female and male lead, and some movies have no lead at all. I think John G. Jr. in this case is a supporting role, and I feel that way partially because of how he functions in the plot in relation to Larson -- he's far from a cliched script element, but he does exist only in relation to her within the film itself.

Aight, I buy that.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:38 am
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next