Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:08 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Punching above your weight 
Author Message
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2384
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Punching above your weight
How the fuck did Del Toro direct Pan's Labrynth?

It's completely out of character. Like Rahman knocking out Lennox Lewis, i guess this shit happens

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:33 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm
Posts: 418
Post Re: Punching above your weight
NotHughGrant wrote:
How the fuck did Del Toro direct Pan's Labrynth?

It's completely out of character. Like Rahman knocking out Lennox Lewis, i guess this shit happens


It's only shocking if you ignore Cronos and Mimic.


Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:42 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7276
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Punching above your weight
NotHughGrant wrote:
How the fuck did Del Toro direct Pan's Labrynth?

It's completely out of character. Like Rahman knocking out Lennox Lewis, i guess this shit happens


Well it is and it isn't.

On one hand, you're right. His other stuff is more-clever-than-usual genre fare, the type that gets a director small cult followings and a smattering of appreciative critics. And standing next to it all -- or rather, above it all -- is Pan's Labyrinth, which would make my shortlist for best movies ever made.

But on the other hand, the man obviously has a great deal of talent even in the confines of studio/genre filmmaking, he made an interesting (if less impressive) Spanish Civil War movie five years before Pan's Labyrinth, and he had consistently shown himself to have a flair for visually dynamic filmmaking. All he needed was to put it all together, and by God, did he ever.

Something similar could be said about Alex Proyas and Dark City, or Richard Adams (novelist) and the great Watership Down. Sometimes people have only one story to tell, but that one story is a great one.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:48 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2384
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Punching above your weight
Those are good examples, and I enjoy all of GdT's films, but to have one so far ahead of the rest is rare

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:51 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Punching above your weight
I don't know that he's necessarily punching above his weight, but I do agree that he and many other directors seem to have that one oddball title in their catalog that steps outside their usual interests or stylistic tendencies.

Now that we've got some hindsight, we can look at Tarantino's career and notice some interesting things about Kill Bill--the only title he's done that places minimal importance on dialogue and piles on tons of stylized hand-to-hand combat, which is an obsession that none of his other movies features. He must have gotten it all out of his system at once.

And how about EXCELLENT CHOICE FOR REELVIEWS HALL OF FAME CANDIDATE PAUL SCHRADER? His movies tend to be fairly stripped-down, basic, verging on ascetic at times, with male protagonists who tend to be Joe Schmoes. Yet right in the middle of his body of work is Mishima, a visually opulent movie with a complex structure, featuring a character who is a respected artist and intellectual.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:04 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2384
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Punching above your weight
But Kill Bill is neither very good or very bad by QT's standards.
I mean, it's a niche, a fettish of some kind. But not worlds apart from any other in terms of quality.

Whereas, i'd argue Pan is as close to a pure work of art as I've ever seen in cinema. From a guy who made Pacific Rim

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:13 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7276
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Punching above your weight
Ken wrote:
I don't know that he's necessarily punching above his weight, but I do agree that he and many other directors seem to have that one oddball title in their catalog that steps outside their usual interests or stylistic tendencies.



Darling Ken, you're making this topic less interesting.

It's not about a director who has an oddball film. Most directors who make enough films will do that. (Kundun, anybody?) It's about a director who makes, to use our crude reductionism, 2.5/3 star films and then suddenly turns in one that's 4+.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:17 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3371
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Punching above your weight
That's sort of the case for McG's lastest film "3 Days To Kill". It's quite different from his other films as it's a combination between a family drama, a black comedy and an action thriller, several critics didn't care for that combination though I thought it worked rather well.

Sometimes earlier films can seem very out of character, like Annapolis, I was very surprised to learn that Justin Lin directed that film, as there's no evidence of his usual directing style.


Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:21 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Punching above your weight
JamesKunz wrote:
Darling Ken, you're making this topic less interesting.

It's not about a director who has an oddball film. Most directors who make enough films will do that. (Kundun, anybody?) It's about a director who makes, to use our crude reductionism, 2.5/3 star films and then suddenly turns in one that's 4+.

That's even worse. Then it just devolves into a game of "let's find every turd who ever got hauled in off the street to make turdy movies, then pick out the best one he* ever pinched off." *Girls don't poop, or so I'm told.

Whatever, man, let's start this whole thread over with a completely new topic.

Fuck, marry, kill: Alfred Hitchcock, Burl Ives, Harlan Ellison

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:23 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Punching above your weight
Alright, here's a legit pick: Michel Gondry. Here's a guy who makes movies that are by no means bad. They're very singular. But, given their experimental nature, they usually don't quite come together like you'd hope. But he also made Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which is, in my opinion, a damned excellent film.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:27 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2384
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Punching above your weight
I completely agree. Eternal Sunshine is sublime.

I feel i should have an argument against your point, but without cotradicting myself I'm struggling ..

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:34 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 7276
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: Punching above your weight
Ken wrote:
Alright, here's a legit pick: Michel Gondry. Here's a guy who makes movies that are by no means bad. They're very singular. But, given their experimental nature, they usually don't quite come together like you'd hope. But he also made Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which is, in my opinion, a damned excellent film.


I agree. I assumed after this that we would continue to see interesting things from Gondry. Instead we've seen Be Kind Rewind and The Green Hornet

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:36 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3371
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Punching above your weight
JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:
Alright, here's a legit pick: Michel Gondry. Here's a guy who makes movies that are by no means bad. They're very singular. But, given their experimental nature, they usually don't quite come together like you'd hope. But he also made Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which is, in my opinion, a damned excellent film.


I agree. I assumed after this that we would continue to see interesting things from Gondry. Instead we've seen Be Kind Rewind and The Green Hornet

I enjoyed those films but it is surprising to see him go from Sunshine to that.


Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:54 pm
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2108
Post Re: Punching above your weight
JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:
Alright, here's a legit pick: Michel Gondry. Here's a guy who makes movies that are by no means bad. They're very singular. But, given their experimental nature, they usually don't quite come together like you'd hope. But he also made Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which is, in my opinion, a damned excellent film.


I agree. I assumed after this that we would continue to see interesting things from Gondry. Instead we've seen Be Kind Rewind and The Green Hornet


Aw. I agree with you on The Green Hornet. That wasn't good. But Be Kind Rewind I enjoyed a lot. It's a real love letter to movies and storytelling.


Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:28 am
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 773
Post Re: Punching above your weight
He did Science of Sleep, right? It wasn't as great as Eternal Sunshine but I loved that movie. Back in 2006, at least.

_________________
Which are you drinking? The water or the wave?


Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:34 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3371
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Punching above your weight
ilovemovies wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:
Alright, here's a legit pick: Michel Gondry. Here's a guy who makes movies that are by no means bad. They're very singular. But, given their experimental nature, they usually don't quite come together like you'd hope. But he also made Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which is, in my opinion, a damned excellent film.


I agree. I assumed after this that we would continue to see interesting things from Gondry. Instead we've seen Be Kind Rewind and The Green Hornet


Aw. I agree with you on The Green Hornet. That wasn't good. But Be Kind Rewind I enjoyed a lot. It's a real love letter to movies and storytelling.

I actually like Green Hornet the most out of all his films.

I'm guessing you both feel the same way about David Gordon Green, personally i'll take The Sitter or Pineapple Express over Snow Angels.


Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:49 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2108
Post Re: Punching above your weight
Haven't seen The Sitter. Don't care for his comedies (Pineapple Express was so-so and Your Highness was lame) but I thought Snow Angels was fantastic.

Haven't seen George Washington, All the Real Girls or Undertow. They are all on my netflix queue though. And I'm looking forward to seeing his comeback film, Prince Avalanche.


Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:03 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3371
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Punching above your weight
ilovemovies wrote:
Haven't seen The Sitter. Don't care for his comedies (Pineapple Express was so-so and Your Highness was lame) but I thought Snow Angels was fantastic.

Haven't seen George Washington, All the Real Girls or Undertow. They are all on my netflix queue though. And I'm looking forward to seeing his comeback film, Prince Avalanche.

I agree that Your Highness was pretty bad(though I blame the terrible script moreso then Green himself) but I think you should check out The Sitter as I think you would enjoy it.

Undertow was rather mediocre, you're not really missing much there, haven't seen the other two.


Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:23 am
Profile
Director

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 pm
Posts: 1599
Post Re: Punching above your weight
ilovemovies wrote:
Haven't seen The Sitter. Don't care for his comedies (Pineapple Express was so-so and Your Highness was lame) but I thought Snow Angels was fantastic.

Haven't seen George Washington, All the Real Girls or Undertow. They are all on my netflix queue though. And I'm looking forward to seeing his comeback film, Prince Avalanche.


The Sitter was funny. Worth the 90 minutes, and better than Pineapple Express.


Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:54 am
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 601
Post Re: Punching above your weight
I always felt that Ted Kotcheff rose a notch above his usual work with First Blood. I didn't get around to Wake in Fright until it became a recent interest on this forum, but still believe First Blood to be a much better film. Some of his other films have very dedicated fans, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone said Ted Kotcheff, but said the standout was North Dallas Forty or Weekend at Bernie's. Those are entertaining, but not nearly as solid for me.


Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:31 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr