Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:08 am

Punching above your weight 
Producer

Post Punching above your weight
How the fuck did Del Toro direct Pan's Labrynth?

It's completely out of character. Like Rahman knocking out Lennox Lewis, i guess this shit happens

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:33 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Punching above your weight
NotHughGrant wrote:

It's completely out of character. Like Rahman knocking out Lennox Lewis, i guess this shit happens

It's only shocking if you ignore Cronos and Mimic.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:42 pm
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:

Well it is and it isn't.

On one hand, you're right. His other stuff is more-clever-than-usual genre fare, the type that gets a director small cult followings and a smattering of appreciative critics. And standing next to it all -- or rather, above it all -- is Pan's Labyrinth, which would make my shortlist for best movies ever made.

But on the other hand, the man obviously has a great deal of talent even in the confines of studio/genre filmmaking, he made an interesting (if less impressive) Spanish Civil War movie five years before Pan's Labyrinth, and he had consistently shown himself to have a flair for visually dynamic filmmaking. All he needed was to put it all together, and by God, did he ever.

Something similar could be said about Alex Proyas and Dark City, or Richard Adams (novelist) and the great Watership Down. Sometimes people have only one story to tell, but that one story is a great one.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:48 pm
Producer

Those are good examples, and I enjoy all of GdT's films, but to have one so far ahead of the rest is rare

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:51 pm
Producer

I don't know that he's necessarily punching above his weight, but I do agree that he and many other directors seem to have that one oddball title in their catalog that steps outside their usual interests or stylistic tendencies.

Now that we've got some hindsight, we can look at Tarantino's career and notice some interesting things about Kill Bill--the only title he's done that places minimal importance on dialogue and piles on tons of stylized hand-to-hand combat, which is an obsession that none of his other movies features. He must have gotten it all out of his system at once.

And how about EXCELLENT CHOICE FOR REELVIEWS HALL OF FAME CANDIDATE PAUL SCHRADER? His movies tend to be fairly stripped-down, basic, verging on ascetic at times, with male protagonists who tend to be Joe Schmoes. Yet right in the middle of his body of work is Mishima, a visually opulent movie with a complex structure, featuring a character who is a respected artist and intellectual.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:04 pm
Producer

But Kill Bill is neither very good or very bad by QT's standards.
I mean, it's a niche, a fettish of some kind. But not worlds apart from any other in terms of quality.

Whereas, i'd argue Pan is as close to a pure work of art as I've ever seen in cinema. From a guy who made Pacific Rim

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:13 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
I don't know that he's necessarily punching above his weight, but I do agree that he and many other directors seem to have that one oddball title in their catalog that steps outside their usual interests or stylistic tendencies.

Darling Ken, you're making this topic less interesting.

It's not about a director who has an oddball film. Most directors who make enough films will do that. (Kundun, anybody?) It's about a director who makes, to use our crude reductionism, 2.5/3 star films and then suddenly turns in one that's 4+.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:17 pm
Auteur

That's sort of the case for McG's lastest film "3 Days To Kill". It's quite different from his other films as it's a combination between a family drama, a black comedy and an action thriller, several critics didn't care for that combination though I thought it worked rather well.

Sometimes earlier films can seem very out of character, like Annapolis, I was very surprised to learn that Justin Lin directed that film, as there's no evidence of his usual directing style.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:21 pm
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
Darling Ken, you're making this topic less interesting.

It's not about a director who has an oddball film. Most directors who make enough films will do that. (Kundun, anybody?) It's about a director who makes, to use our crude reductionism, 2.5/3 star films and then suddenly turns in one that's 4+.

That's even worse. Then it just devolves into a game of "let's find every turd who ever got hauled in off the street to make turdy movies, then pick out the best one he* ever pinched off." *Girls don't poop, or so I'm told.

Whatever, man, let's start this whole thread over with a completely new topic.

Fuck, marry, kill: Alfred Hitchcock, Burl Ives, Harlan Ellison

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:23 pm
Producer

Alright, here's a legit pick: Michel Gondry. Here's a guy who makes movies that are by no means bad. They're very singular. But, given their experimental nature, they usually don't quite come together like you'd hope. But he also made Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which is, in my opinion, a damned excellent film.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:27 pm
Producer

I completely agree. Eternal Sunshine is sublime.

I feel i should have an argument against your point, but without cotradicting myself I'm struggling ..

Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:34 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
Alright, here's a legit pick: Michel Gondry. Here's a guy who makes movies that are by no means bad. They're very singular. But, given their experimental nature, they usually don't quite come together like you'd hope. But he also made Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which is, in my opinion, a damned excellent film.

I agree. I assumed after this that we would continue to see interesting things from Gondry. Instead we've seen Be Kind Rewind and The Green Hornet

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:36 pm
Auteur

JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:

I agree. I assumed after this that we would continue to see interesting things from Gondry. Instead we've seen Be Kind Rewind and The Green Hornet

I enjoyed those films but it is surprising to see him go from Sunshine to that.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:54 pm
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:

Aw. I agree with you on The Green Hornet. That wasn't good. But Be Kind Rewind I enjoyed a lot. It's a real love letter to movies and storytelling.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:28 am
Assistant Director

He did Science of Sleep, right? It wasn't as great as Eternal Sunshine but I loved that movie. Back in 2006, at least.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:34 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:

Aw. I agree with you on The Green Hornet. That wasn't good. But Be Kind Rewind I enjoyed a lot. It's a real love letter to movies and storytelling.

I actually like Green Hornet the most out of all his films.

I'm guessing you both feel the same way about David Gordon Green, personally i'll take The Sitter or Pineapple Express over Snow Angels.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:49 am
Producer

Haven't seen The Sitter. Don't care for his comedies (Pineapple Express was so-so and Your Highness was lame) but I thought Snow Angels was fantastic.

Haven't seen George Washington, All the Real Girls or Undertow. They are all on my netflix queue though. And I'm looking forward to seeing his comeback film, Prince Avalanche.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:03 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Haven't seen The Sitter. Don't care for his comedies (Pineapple Express was so-so and Your Highness was lame) but I thought Snow Angels was fantastic.

Haven't seen George Washington, All the Real Girls or Undertow. They are all on my netflix queue though. And I'm looking forward to seeing his comeback film, Prince Avalanche.

I agree that Your Highness was pretty bad(though I blame the terrible script moreso then Green himself) but I think you should check out The Sitter as I think you would enjoy it.

Undertow was rather mediocre, you're not really missing much there, haven't seen the other two.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:23 am
Director

ilovemovies wrote:

The Sitter was funny. Worth the 90 minutes, and better than Pineapple Express.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:54 am
Cinematographer

I always felt that Ted Kotcheff rose a notch above his usual work with First Blood. I didn't get around to Wake in Fright until it became a recent interest on this forum, but still believe First Blood to be a much better film. Some of his other films have very dedicated fans, so I wouldn't be surprised if someone said Ted Kotcheff, but said the standout was North Dallas Forty or Weekend at Bernie's. Those are entertaining, but not nearly as solid for me.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:31 am