Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:09 am

Why do comedians get away with it but others get raped... 
Second Unit Director

Post Why do comedians get away with it but others get raped...
by the media?

Well I guess Kramer got raped too, but he was using it in a derogatory sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF1NUposXVQ

I'm not trolling either...I legitimately want to know. I haven't heard the media advocating boycotting Louis CK yet. It's a "bit," but who says he doesn't believe what he's saying?

Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:05 pm
Cinematographer

Post Re: Why do comedians get away with it but others get raped...
I love that CK bit. He's using the word "nigger" (and "cunt" and "faggot") to make a larger point about the power of language and how cultures are inevitably intertwined, and how all of that leads to words losing, or changing, their meaning. The end of the joke has him using the word "nigger" as a term for another person, not a racist slur towards a black man. It's smart and complex. Those who find it offensive are likely the kind of people who are offended across the board any time words like the ones CK uses are used, without giving a second thought to the context in which they're used.

Earlier in this bit, before the youtube video starts, he does the same thing with the word "cunt" and talks about how there are no bad words, just people who make words bad. That's his larger point and he hilariously proves it. That's why he can get away with it too. He's not promoting racism or the use of racist slurs with his bit. He's doing the exact opposite - trying to lessen the perceived power these words have over people. If he was simply being a racist and calling a black guy a nigger, he'd be (rightfully) condemned for that.

I'm not sure he's getting away with anything here, but rather trying to enlighten people. Most who use that word use it as a racial slur, which is why they're called out as racists for doing so. I hesitate to say they're "raped" for doing so, as that implies they were undeservedly and maliciously attacked for doing nothing wrong, which, you know, isn't normally the case.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:53 pm
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
I love that CK bit. He's using the word "nigger" (and "cunt" and "faggot") to make a larger point about the power of language and how cultures are inevitably intertwined, and how all of that leads to words losing, or changing, their meaning. The end of the joke has him using the word "nigger" as a term for another person, not a racist slur towards a black man. It's smart and complex. Those who find it offensive are likely the kind of people who are offended across the board any time words like the ones CK uses are used, without giving a second thought to the context in which they're used.

Earlier in this bit, before the youtube video starts, he does the same thing with the word "cunt" and talks about how there are no bad words, just people who make words bad. That's his larger point and he hilariously proves it. That's why he can get away with it too. He's not promoting racism or the use of racist slurs with his bit. He's doing the exact opposite - trying to lessen the perceived power these words have over people. If he was simply being a racist and calling a black guy a nigger, he'd be (rightfully) condemned for that.

I'm not sure he's getting away with anything here, but rather trying to enlighten people. Most who use that word use it as a racial slur, which is why they're called out as racists for doing so. I hesitate to say they're "raped" for doing so, as that implies they were undeservedly and maliciously attacked for doing nothing wrong, which, you know, isn't normally the case.

So you, like Louis CK, believe that one can use the word "nigger" without being racist? It seems like you do, and if so I whole heartedly agree. I don't believe for one second that me using the term "nigger" or "faggot" makes me a racist or homophobic bigot. If someone cuts me off in traffic, I might yell, "you stupid nigger!" If I hit an errant shot on the golf course, I'll tell myself, "hit the ball better you stupid faggot."

To me they are just words that I can use. In a moment of anger, I can use fuck, asshole, bitch, cunt, nigger, or faggot interchangeably.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:11 pm
Second Unit Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
In a moment of anger, I can use fuck, asshole, bitch, cunt, nigger, or faggot interchangeably.

You certainly can use them. No one's stopping you and you aren't breaking any laws. But as Petey said, you're generally going to get called out as racist for using the N word. And generally, you should. It's not a question of what's permissible, it's a question of what's wise or necessary. To say that those words are "interchangeable" speaks of massive ignorance. As Petey also pointed out, and as is indeed the whole point of Louis CK's bit, it certainly is just a word. A sound. All words are just that. But again, that doesn't make it wise or mature or necessary to use certain words.

Most of what I do for work is spend time with teenagers. And let me be clear: I want to very specifically teach them that words are just words -- sound, inflection, cadence, etc -- and that there is nothing inherently wrong with any word (check out how Australian's use the word "cunt"). But I also want to teach them to be discerning and generous and empathetic in all areas of life, for their own benefit and for the benefit of others. In certain settings they shouldn't swear at all, for example. And they probably never need to say "nigger" or "faggot" -- and if they do they better be prepared to get called out/their ass kicked.

You said that Kramer used it "in a derogatory sense." But homey, they are undeniably words that our culture has decided are derogatory, and it's quite literally ignorant and stupid to expect no one to be bothered by a right white straight guy using them. And let's be real: rich white dudes crying about not being able to use those words without being called racist/homophobic is a pretty easy plight, no?

Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:47 pm
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
The end of the joke has him using the word "nigger" as a term for another person, not a racist slur towards a black man. It's smart and complex. Those who find it offensive are likely the kind of people who are offended across the board any time words like the ones CK uses are used, without giving a second thought to the context in which they're used.

PeachyPete wrote:
Earlier in this bit, before the youtube video starts, he does the same thing with the word "cunt" and talks about how there are no bad words, just people who make words bad. That's his larger point and he hilariously proves it. That's why he can get away with it too. He's not promoting racism or the use of racist slurs with his bit. He's doing the exact opposite - trying to lessen the perceived power these words have over people

Shade,

Is there some underlying meaning that I'm not understanding in Pete's comments?

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:16 pm
Cinematographer

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
PeachyPete wrote:
So you, like Louis CK, believe that one can use the word "nigger" without being racist? It seems like you do, and if so I whole heartedly agree. I don't believe for one second that me using the term "nigger" or "faggot" makes me a racist or homophobic bigot. If someone cuts me off in traffic, I might yell, "you stupid nigger!" If I hit an errant shot on the golf course, I'll tell myself, "hit the ball better you stupid faggot."

To me they are just words that I can use. In a moment of anger, I can use fuck, asshole, bitch, cunt, nigger, or faggot interchangeably.

Well, for one, there's a difference between what is said and done in a piece of performance art, and what is said and done in real life. That's something I'm sure we all understand.

Second, yeah, I more or less agree with that. I don't think it's the best way to go about expressing your anger, but I'm not going to call you a racist or homophobe for using a word aimed at yourself in a moment of anger. As Shade said, though, it certainly may be perceived as racist by others, and that's something you should try to take into consideration. For instance, I used to use the word "faggot" all the time. Now, I try to do so as little as possible because I had it pointed out to me by a gay friend that, even though I'm not homophobic, it still offends her and many other gay people. Me, not being gay, and not having the life experiences required to understand why it would offend regardless of its use, took someone I like and respect at her word and decided to honor her request.

So, I no longer use the word "faggot". At the end of the day, it had virtually zero impact on my life and probably meant a lot to my friend. I also possibly have avoided offending any gay people I may have possibly used the word around. It's a personal choice, and if someone still decides to use the word (or other words we've discussed), I'm not going to get on my high horse and label them as something they may not necessarily be. Just, you know, be aware that others may not be as willing to let it slide, especially if they don't know you well. You can care about that or not, that's completely up to you.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:35 pm
Producer

If you can't tell the difference between yourself using those words as retaliation because you're mad and Louis CK using those words in a performance piece with a carefully thought-out ethical, rational, and emotional perspective... don't use them.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:38 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
If you can't tell the difference between yourself using those words as retaliation because you're mad and Louis CK using those words in a performance piece with a carefully thought-out ethical, rational, and emotional perspective... don't use them.

I was just giving a quick example. There are plenty of other instances I use them too, much like Louis probably does. I don't go around calling black or gay people those words though...I'm safe.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:50 pm
Producer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8_X9Qz-Zag

Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:57 pm
Cinematographer

^ That's one of the most brilliant television episodes I've ever seen. Well played, Ken doll.

Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:26 pm
Director

PeachyPete wrote:
^ That's one of the most brilliant television episodes I've ever seen. Well played, Ken doll.

I also love the South Park episode where the definition of the word "fag" was changed to refer to annoying Harley Davidson riders who rev their engines at stoplights for no reason. :lol:

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:11 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:

Great episode.

This one is an all time classic though:

Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:53 pm
Second Unit Director

nm

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:41 am
Second Unit Director

Of course Louis CK is just extending the tradition of George Carlin (and others going back and back)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdtHZ_6oz9Q

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:51 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Ken wrote:

Great episode.

This one is an all time classic though:

Amazing.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:53 am
Second Unit Director

Equally funny is Jesse Jackson's line when Randy apologizes to him: "The clue was People Who Annoy You." Just piling it on there.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:46 am