Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:48 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 726, 727, 728, 729, 730, 731, 732 ... 808  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
On the waterfront (1954): 4 Stars
I decided to give a chance to this black and white film today and boy , I got blown away!, I even tried to place this review in the Great Movies section of this Forum but alas, amazingly (for me) it did not hit the top 100 lol. This crime/drama film about union corruption is the complete package:
    An outstanding main actor performance by Marlon Brandon
    Extraordinary supporting cast with newcomer (Eva Marie Saint) and the always reliable Lee J Cobb, Karl Malden and Rod Steiger
    Excellent screenplay by Budd Schulberg
    Very good direction by Elia Kazan
    even the B&W cinematography was good!
This all around movie even with the dark theme (an adult film) still made ten times its production cost in the box office only in USA!
IMDB : 8.3 from 72,809 voters
Tomatometer :100% (from 56 reviews)
No 19 in the 2007 top 100 AFI movies

Very likely most of you have seen this film but if you haven't , give yourself a favour as I did today and watch it 8-)

Attachments:
On the waterfront.jpg
On the waterfront.jpg [ 17.79 KiB | Viewed 729 times ]

Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:14 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

In Barking Dogs Never Bite, a mild mannered young South Korean professoral candidate is forced by circumstances to become a serial dog killer. He needs to eliminate a barking dog so he can stay awake long enough to get the professorship. Unfortunately it takes awhile before he can locate the offending canine. Meanwhile, he is witnessed and pursued by a young female amateur detective, there is a janitor quite willing to dispose of bodies by making dog soup, and the building is haunted by the ghost of Boiler Kim, who was murdered while inspecting the plumbing and was interred in the walls.

Lumpy film, the first directed by Joon-Ho Bong: it has some very nice scenes, and can be very funny, as when the canicide's wife brings her own dog homee . I like the scene where the sad fate of Boiler Kim is narrated (despite that scene having no payoff), or the girl rescuing a dog while crowds of people on rooftops are cheering her on. Overall, though, it's a first effort by a director who was still learning his craft, and you're much better off seeing his second film, Memories of Murder, which is a masterpiece. (5.5 of 10)

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:01 am
Assistant Director

Philomena (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2431286/
With the help of the cynical recently fired (now freelance I think?) journalist Martin Sixsmith (Steve Coogan, who also wrote the story which was "inspired" by true events), Philomena (Judi Dench) looks for the son she had as a teenager some 50 years after he was taken by the Irish Catholic church and sold to Americans. A number of secrets and tragedies are discovered along the way. Well acted (as expected), and, surprisingly for a film of this nature, well-paced - clocking in at only 98 minutes. The flashback sequences of Philomena's life in the convent strongly reminded me of the 2009 New Zealand film Piece of my Heart, which is thematically pretty much the same film, but focusing on the teenage pregnancy and coerced child adoption side of things, with the search for the long-lost children occurring more as an epilogue. To be honest, I prefer the New Zealand film (not biased or anything ;-) ).
7/10.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:25 am
Cinematographer

unwindfilms wrote:
On the waterfront (1954): 4 Stars
I decided to give a chance to this black and white film today and boy , I got blown away!, I even tried to place this review in the Great Movies section of this Forum but alas, amazingly (for me) it did not hit the top 100 lol. This crime/drama film about union corruption is the complete package:
    An outstanding main actor performance by Marlon Brandon
    Extraordinary supporting cast with newcomer (Eva Marie Saint) and the always reliable Lee J Cobb, Karl Malden and Rod Steiger
    Excellent screenplay by Budd Schulberg
    Very good direction by Elia Kazan
    even the B&W cinematography was good!
This all around movie even with the dark theme (an adult film) still made ten times its production cost in the box office only in USA!
IMDB : 8.3 from 72,809 voters
Tomatometer :100% (from 56 reviews)
No 19 in the 2007 top 100 AFI movies

Very likely most of you have seen this film but if you haven't , give yourself a favour as I did today and watch it 8-)

I saw On the Waterfront for the first time about a year or two ago, and it skyrocketed to my Top 20-30. It's so great, so well acted. Father Barry's speech at the docks still give me the chills.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Drug War (2012)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2165735/
An average Asian action/drama about a drug lord who does a deal to save himself from the death penalty by joining undercover cops out to catch a high up drug kingpin. I liked the urban gun fights which are quite possibly the best I've seen since 1995's Heat. That said, it wasn't enough to save it from a super pedestrian plot with too many underdeveloped characters that mostly had nothing to do (except die). Not terrible, but certainly not great either.
6/10.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Literally EVERYONE dies! Am I the only one having difficulty finding a point here? Oh, right "drugs are bad, mkay."

Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:27 am
Cinematographer

Shakespeare In Love (1998)

Cute movie. I probably would have gotten more out of it if I was more of a regular consumer of Shakespeare (think I've only read 3 of his plays from high school and seen 3 or 4 others live or on film). Performances were good and the story kept my attention enough. Nice that it didn't finish with a "Hollywood ending." But better than Saving Private Ryan? Yeah...nice fumble Academy and BAFTA. 3.0 / 4.0

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:23 am
Director

Documentary time.

The Imposter

This is a really messed up story. A teen disappears, and is found in Spain three years later. Or so it seems. This has a twist I never saw coming, and wouldn't have believed if I hadn't known the story was true. Not spectacular but interesting.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:29 pm
Second Unit Director

Fruitvale Station - Joins Prisoners as a nominee for Most Unjustly Overlooked Picture by the Academy in 2013. (Can we make that a Pedros category?) Not even 1 nomination doesn't seem right. But lack of mainstream recognition doesn't change that this is a powerful, moving film. It's especially remarkable that this is Ryan Coogler's directorial debut, because it is very assured. This is the story of Oscar Grant's last day alive. He was killed while in transit police custody at the titular train station in Oakland, an event that sparked racial tensions in the Bay Area.

I found Fruitvale Station particularly laudable for its even-handed, unmawkish presentation. It's not overtly manipulative or melodramatic, and I think Coogler's decision to shoot handheld particularly helps it avoid that trap. One of his better decisions is to open the film with cell phone video of Grant's shooting, because that warns the audience of what's coming, in case they don't already know. It gives many of the scenes an added poignancy and the final sequence aboard the train an appropriate tension and sense of dread. Each of the events presented can be prefaced with "this is the last time he..." The sequence at the station is masterfully shot and edited, and it's especially interesting that the transit cop who shot him is much less involved than one might expect. The first cop on the scene is rather antagonistic and bullying in ways, but he's not the one who actually shoots him; one of the officers who arrive on the scene does it, and the film shows all of the police shocked by what happened as well. It's much less one-sided of a presentation than one might expect.

The acting is wonderful all around, very believable and unaffected, which greatly helps the verisimilitude. Michael B. Jordan gives a starmaking turn as Oscar Grant, embracing both his positive and negative personality traits and crafting a believable human being. Melonie Diaz is also great as his girlfriend and mother of his child. She's especially good in the aftermath of the shooting, hitting the right notes of panic, grief, and pain. Octavia Spencer is great as well, particularly in the scene in which she views his body. I also want to single out Ariana Neal, because it's always great to see acting from a child that isn't grating or ingratiating. One of the key tragedies of the film is that Tatiana will grow up fatherless and one of the most moving scenes is her goodbye to him, which at the time of course she didn't know would be her final goodbye.

It's one of the better directorial debuts in recent years, and a great examination of a real-life tragedy. 9/10

Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:15 pm
Director

The Price of Gold

Another documentary, this one about the Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan incident back in 1994. After watching this, I'm pretty sure that Harding knew something about the attack on Nancy Kerrigan before it happened. How much, I'm not sure. But I think I know what precipitated it.

The documentary correctly observes that Harding was probably the best figure skater in America at the time; she was certainly a better skater than Kerrigan. However, Harding never attracted sponsors or endorsements like her contemporaries; she didn't fit the mold of a professional figure skater. Harding wasn't pretty enough, feminine enough, or wealthy enough, and as a result the figure skating establishment hated her, her competitors shunned her, sponsors ignored her, and the judges were pretty heavily biased against her. She's one of those rare athletes who made it to the top on raw talent alone. Harding comes off as pretty bitter about her treatment by the skating establishment, and it's hard to blame her. I'm not saying that what was done to Kerrigan was right, but this film helps put it into some perspective. It was about a little more than winning a gold medal.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:53 pm
Director

The Amityville Horror

Sometimes a movie is so hackneyed, so pointless, so flat-out retarded that you can only shake your head and wonder what its makers were thinking. The Amityville Horror is such a film. Supposedly based on a true account of a New York couple who purchased a house, only to find it possessed by evil spirits, this lets you know from the very start that it's going to be a SERIOUS PICTURE, with ominous omens in every frame and "boo" scares every couple of minutes. But it's mostly tedious; the entire plot consists of James Brolin overacting and Margot Kidder acting hysterical. There is a subplot involving Rod Steiger hamming it up that is completely unnecessary, and probably could have been removed entirely. Another subplot involving a police detective could have been removed as well.

It wouldn't have made the movie any better, but it would have been shorter; The Amityville Horror isn't suspenseful, isn't a bloodbath, isn't interesting, and doesn't even work well as an unintentional comedy. It's mostly just tedious, but movie audiences again proved their stupidity by making this one of the biggest hits of 1979. This is an awful film; I'd even go so far to say that the Evil Dead remake was better than this.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:01 pm
Critic

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
The Amityville Horror

Sometimes a movie is so hackneyed, so pointless, so flat-out retarded that you can only shake your head and wonder what its makers were thinking. The Amityville Horror is such a film. Supposedly based on a true account of a New York couple who purchased a house, only to find it possessed by evil spirits, this lets you know from the very start that it's going to be a SERIOUS PICTURE, with ominous omens in every frame and "boo" scares every couple of minutes. But it's mostly tedious; the entire plot consists of James Brolin overacting and Margot Kidder acting hysterical. There is a subplot involving Rod Steiger hamming it up that is completely unnecessary, and probably could have been removed entirely. Another subplot involving a police detective could have been removed as well.

It wouldn't have made the movie any better, but it would have been shorter; The Amityville Horror isn't suspenseful, isn't a bloodbath, isn't interesting, and doesn't even work well as an unintentional comedy. It's mostly just tedious, but movie audiences again proved their stupidity by making this one of the biggest hits of 1979. This is an awful film; I'd even go so far to say that the Evil Dead remake was better than this.

Dude dude dude! You forgot to mention the hilarious moment where the total DICK of a house steals their money before a wedding! What an ASSHOLE haunted house, man, you know?

Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:21 pm
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Dude dude dude! You forgot to mention the hilarious moment where the total DICK of a house steals their money before a wedding! What an ASSHOLE haunted house, man, you know?

I did, didn't I? I guess I got caught up in the demon-possessed windows, the black toilet goop, and Brolin's axe fetish.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:50 pm
Auteur

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
The Amityville Horror

At least the Evil Dead remake was never boring like this movie is, Amityville Horror has not aged well at all, there's no real suspense or thrills to be found, suffice to say the numerous sequels and the remake were all better then the original. But if you want to see a truly awful remake, then try One Missed Call, it has a well-deserved 0% score on RT.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:16 am
Critic

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

I did, didn't I? I guess I got caught up in the demon-possessed windows, the black toilet goop, and Brolin's axe fetish.

And thankfully you did mention Steiger turning up in the hammiest performance of a decade full of them

Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:27 am
Director

JamesKunz wrote:
And thankfully you did mention Steiger turning up in the hammiest performance of a decade full of them

He does have one really great scene. It's when he's losing his eyesight; Steiger looks up to the ceiling and yells, "Oh Jesus Christ! Jesus Christ! Jesus Christ! Oh, Jesus Christ!" It's an absolutely hilarious scene. If The Amityville Horror had more scenes like that, the movie would be worth watching for laughs.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:45 pm
Producer

The perception I have of Steiger is someone playing at method acting; or tying his ass off but struggling to make it work.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:43 am
Director

High and Low (1963)

Like Audition in the Five Countries thread, here is another film with a masterful shift in storytelling. I was thrown off a bit when it (almost) completely dropped both the lead and the chamber drama of the first act, filled with moral dilemmas and claustrophobic tension. But the police procedural built from that with such attention to details that the film remained gripping throughout. And Kurosawa takes the film's title literally, changing location from the privileged glass house, to chaotic investigation through the city, and finally to the seedy bar and alley full of drug addicts, and it provides for some chilling, powerful images that resonate with social commentary. Of the four Kurosawa films I've watched (Rashomon, Ikiru, The Hidden Fortress), this may be the one I'm impressed most with his visual flair. 10/10

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:35 pm
Director

High and Low is an underappreciated masterpiece. It is certainly very much overlooked in Kurosawa's filmography.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:16 pm
Assistant Director

Filth (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1450321/
Inventive dramedy (for lack of a better word) character study about a drug addicted, schizophrenic cop (James McAvoy in top form) who badly wants a promotion. If you can imagine a movie transitioning from Hot Fuzz to Trainspotting to Naked Lunch with a bit of Mullholland Drive thrown in for good measure you'll get a pretty good idea of what Filth is about and how it goes about it. While writer/director Jon S. Baird is channeling the David's Lynch and Cronenberg, he remarkably manages to keep things mostly coherent. It's still a bit of mess and somehow not as original as it's trying to be, but nonetheless a solid watch.
7/10.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:46 pm
Director

Four Brothers

Four men reunite in Detroit after their mother is murdered and set out to find why. This film had potential, but is undone by a poor script, and an inability to settle on a tone. The film can't decide if it wants to be a gritty urban drama, a tough action film, or a revenge flick, and ultimately doesn't do any of those well. A shame, because the cast has good chemistry.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:38 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 726, 727, 728, 729, 730, 731, 732 ... 808  Next