Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:49 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Awards 
Director

Post Re: The Fifth Annual ReelViews Academy Awards
To get my understanding straight, what is Best Art Direction?

Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:38 pm
Second Unit Director

It's the Best Production Design category at the Oscars. It regards the films with the best set design and props and such. I'm not sure why I didn't change the name of the category. I guess because meh.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:22 pm
Second Unit Director

Holy Shit! I just realized Drug War is by the same guy who directed Duo Ming Jin (Life Without Principle) which was one of my favorite films of 2011. I cannot believe I've overlooked it for so long. And if you guys haven't seen the film I mentioned, do it immediately.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

I take it "Best Use of Music" means that films can be nominated for both original and unoriginal (i.e., using musical pieces written for other purposes) scores, right?

Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:58 pm
Producer

Her and The Secret Life of Walter Mitty both used music exceptionally well. The problem is, I don't generally remember the scores of movies.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:59 pm
Second Unit Director

Gwaihir wrote:
I take it "Best Use of Music" means that films can be nominated for both original and unoriginal (i.e., using musical pieces written for other purposes) scores, right?

Correct. I took exception to There Will Be Blood's score being disqualified back in 2007 because parts of it were used in another movie. It still used music extremely well, so I didn't think it should be penalized.

This also allows for something like Inside Llewyn Davis, which doesn't feature any original music but is dependent on music itself.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:54 am
Producer

So when does the nominations process begin and how does it work?

Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:16 am
Second Unit Director

Hello,

just a few questions:

Since I can nominate up to five nominees, would it be possible to just name a single one, if I thought it was the only movie/performance/whatever deserving of an award?

Concerning the Hall of Fame, is my understanding correct that I can nominate any three greats who aren't on the list already?

Is 'The Place beyond the Pines' eligible for the 5th Pedros? imdb lists it as a 2012 movie, but also with a 2013 U.S. release date.

Speaking of which, Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper are both lead actors in 'The Place beyond the Pines', correct? Also, are Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal both lead actors in 'Prisoners'?

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:39 pm
Second Unit Director

Unke wrote:
Hello,

just a few questions:

Since I can nominate up to five nominees, would it be possible to just name a single one, if I thought it was the only movie/performance/whatever deserving of an award?

Concerning the Hall of Fame, is my understanding correct that I can nominate any three greats who aren't on the list already?

Is 'The Place beyond the Pines' eligible for the 5th Pedros? imdb lists it as a 2012 movie, but also with a 2013 U.S. release date.

Speaking of which, Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper are both lead actors in 'The Place beyond the Pines', correct? Also, are Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal both lead actors in 'Prisoners'?

If you really thought that the single nominee is so much more deserving and that no one else comes close to deserving of the distinction, then yes, you can do that. I always like to have more data, though.

Your understanding is correct. We'll vote for the overall HoF induction when we we're voting on the winners.

The Place Beyond the Pines is eligible, as it came out in... March? of last year.

Where the actors line up is subject to debate. Someone asked me already and I gave a non-committal answer. Gosling, Cooper, and Emory Cohen can be considered lead equals or supporting equals. I don't care which one we use as long as we're being consistent. I'd say use Mendes similarly.

For Prisoners, I'm leaning toward Jackman is the lead and Gyllenhaal is the supporting. There's a good argument that they're both leads, though. Same as with Pines, I don't really care which one it is as long as we're consistent.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:27 pm
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
Unke wrote:
Hello,

just a few questions:

Where the actors line up is subject to debate. Someone asked me already and I gave a non-committal answer. Gosling, Cooper, and Emory Cohen can be considered lead equals or supporting equals. I don't care which one we use as long as we're being consistent. I'd say use Mendes similarly.

For Prisoners, I'm leaning toward Jackman is the lead and Gyllenhaal is the supporting. There's a good argument that they're both leads, though. Same as with Pines, I don't really care which one it is as long as we're consistent.

Thanks, Pedro. I'll consider Jackman (for 'Prisoners'), Gosling and Cooper ('Place beyond the Pines') as lead actors and Gyllenhaal ('Prisoners') as a supporting actor, then.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:25 am
Director

So are we going by the Academy's trend of sequels and prequels being Adapted Screenplays (Before Midnight, for example), or anything that isn't based on books, plays, graphic novels, etc., is all Original?

Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:19 am
Second Unit Director

peng wrote:
So are we going by the Academy's trend of sequels and prequels being Adapted Screenplays (Before Midnight, for example), or anything that isn't based on books, plays, graphic novels, etc., is all Original?

I know not everyone agrees with the Academy on this one, but I do and I'd like to keep films like Before Midnight and Monsters University in the adapted category.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:50 am
Producer

Now that I've turned in my end-of-the-year top movies, I'm officially starting work on my ballot. Very excited about this year's contest, and to get to work on this year's HOF video as soon as those results are ready.

Now, everyone, just think back on some of the finest films made in the past 40 years, and remember one of the movie brat generation's most underrated MVPs:

Paul Schrader.

Paul Schrader.

Paul Schrader.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:22 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
Now that I've turned in my end-of-the-year top movies, I'm officially starting work on my ballot. Very excited about this year's contest, and to get to work on this year's HOF video as soon as those results are ready.

Now, everyone, just think back on some of the finest films made in the past 40 years, and remember one of the movie brat generation's most underrated MVPs:

Paul Schrader.

Paul Schrader.

Paul Schrader.

Tonight, I received my first ballot. I salute you gents.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:45 pm
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2