Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:28 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 715 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 36  Next
General Movie News 
Auteur

Post Re: General Movie News
KWRoss wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I like Sutherland(i'm especially excited that he's voicing Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid V)......

Oh you did NOT just make that mistake......

He's Big Boss aka Naked Snake. Sorry man, but this is my favorite video game series of all time and I know this shit 8-)

I'm hopeful as well, though. To me, it makes sense to switch voice actors considering the character is getting older and looking closer to how we know the man while ultimately look from the early Metal Gear games when Solid Snake enters the picture.

I'm just getting into the series now so I keep getting two mixed up.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:11 am
Director

Quote:
I like Sutherland(i'm especially excited that he's voicing Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid V) but Pompeii just looks absolutely atrocious, it looks like a sure bet that it's going to end up on JB's worst of 2014 list. The visual effects look awfully bland, the trailer just made me yawn and failed to raise a pulse, looks it's going to be a major flop.

Nah, I'm sure JB will like it more than I, Frankenstein. I'm guessing 2 stars from him or perhaps 2.5. I rarely agree with him on anything though. He gave Ghost Rider 2 only a single star, but I liked it.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:17 am
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I like Sutherland(i'm especially excited that he's voicing Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid V)......

Oh you did NOT just make that mistake......

He's Big Boss aka Naked Snake. Sorry man, but this is my favorite video game series of all time and I know this shit 8-)

I'm hopeful as well, though. To me, it makes sense to switch voice actors considering the character is getting older and looking closer to how we know the man while ultimately look from the early Metal Gear games when Solid Snake enters the picture.

I'm just getting into the series now so I keep getting two mixed up.

Right on! So in what order are you playing them? By release date or chronological story order? This situation reminds me a lot of a Star Wars fan's conundrum.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:41 pm
Auteur

Well I got the MGS HD collection for the Vita and I played part 2 first, now i'm currently playing part 3(haven't played part 4 on account of not owning a PS3).

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:52 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
Well I got the MGS HD collection for the Vita and I played part 2 first, now i'm currently playing part 3(haven't played part 4 on account of not owning a PS3).

Part 4 (Guns of the Patriots) is a must. Play it by any means possible at some point, even if that means getting a cheap refurbished PS3 from Ebay, because it wraps up every possible loose end in the story.

Also, in order to keep this little tangent somewhat grounded in movies, I have to mention the following: MGS4 came out in June of 2008, and THE DARK KNIGHT hit theaters in July. Two franchises hitting their peak in the same summer!? That's something I'll never forget.

I'm on record saying that I want you-know-who as my first choice behind the camera if a Metal Gear movie ever does get made (maybe Ang Lee as choice #2), but I'd also be perfectly happy if it never saw the light of day at all. Ken said in some other thread how he's never itching to have his favorite non-movie properties funneled through the Hollywood System and pooped out the other end, and I feel there's some truth to that. A movie doesn't necessarily have to be the be-all-end-all. The cutscenes in the Metal Gear series already have the feel of a big-budget movie as is, anyway.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:16 pm
Second Unit Director

[quote="KWRoss"I'm on record saying that I want you-know-who as my first choice behind the camera if a Metal Gear movie ever does get made[/quote]

If you-know-who is who I think you-know-who is, I wouldn't get your hopes up. I don't think video game adaptations are exactly his thing. But hey, you never know.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:34 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Steven wrote:
If you-know-who is who I think you-know-who is, I wouldn't get your hopes up. I don't think video game adaptations are exactly his thing. But hey, you never know.

Like I said, I admit it's a pipe dream. But I look at this particular series, with its blend of action, social commentary, and an intellectually demanding plot, and I feel it's right up his alley.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:16 am
Director

Quote:
Like I said, I admit it's a pipe dream. But I look at this particular series, with its blend of action, social commentary, and an intellectually demanding plot, and I feel it's right up his alley.

Probably not, since he's terrible at all three of those things :roll:. Why not aspire to make something like it yourself?

Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:43 am
Director

The Berlin International Film Festival has just announced its awards:

Golden Bear – Black Coal, Thin Ice by Diao Yinan
Jury Grand Prix (Silver Bear) – The Grand Budapest Hotel by Wes Anderson
Alfred Bauer Prize (Silver Bear) – Life of Riley by Alain Resnais

Silver Bear for Best Director – Richard Linklater for Boyhood
Silver Bear for Best Actress – Haru Kuroki for The Little House
Silver Bear for Best Actor – Liao Fan for Black Coal, Thin Ice
Silver Bear for Best Script – Stations of the Cross by Dietrich Brüggemann
Silver Bear for Outstanding Artistic Contribution for Cinematography – Blind Massage by Lou Ye

Best First Feature Award – Güeros by Alonso Ruízpalacios

I haven't known that Alain Resnais is still making movies. Also, a critic I follow said that Black Coal, Thin Ice is like a Chinese Memories of Murder; dense with great direction (although he did give it only 4/5, considering the comparison). That has me watching out for it now.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:11 am
Director

Yeah Resnais is nuts. Private Fears is pretty good. Wild Grass is better, in fact really great in a number of ways. You Ain't Seen Nothin yet is a lot more turgid though, and I haven't been able to finish it yet.

Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:24 pm
Second Unit Director

peng wrote:

The Berlin International Film Festival has just announced its awards:

Golden Bear – Black Coal, Thin Ice by Diao Yinan
Jury Grand Prix (Silver Bear) – The Grand Budapest Hotel by Wes Anderson
Alfred Bauer Prize (Silver Bear) – Life of Riley by Alain Resnais

Silver Bear for Best Director – Richard Linklater for Boyhood
Silver Bear for Best Actress – Haru Kuroki for The Little House
Silver Bear for Best Actor – Liao Fan for Black Coal, Thin Ice
Silver Bear for Best Script – Stations of the Cross by Dietrich Brüggemann
Silver Bear for Outstanding Artistic Contribution for Cinematography – Blind Massage by Lou Ye

Best First Feature Award – Güeros by Alonso Ruízpalacios

I haven't known that Alain Resnais is still making movies. Also, a critic I follow said that Black Coal, Thin Ice is like a Chinese Memories of Murder; dense with great direction (although he did give it only 4/5, considering the comparison). That has me watching out for it now.

Apparently, 'Black Coal, Thin Ice' was a bit of a surprise winner. It has been described as a "twisted neo noir" with a fallible protagonist. The trailer makes it look very interesting. The favourite to win was Linkataer's 'Boyhood' - a movie which follows two boys growing up over the course of 14 years, which has been filmed for 14 years.

FWIW, the jury was headed by Christoph Waltz.

Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:42 pm
Director

Guardians of the Galaxy trailer.

Apart from the feeling of general funness, so basically Christ Patt is playing it a lot like Andy Dwyer, which is great.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:18 am
Director

Quote:

Apart from the feeling of general funness, so basically Christ Patt is playing it a lot like Andy Dwyer, which is great.

Looks incredibly childish and stupid. BUT due mainly to its release date and its not being a sequel, it should have a good chance to be the internet-driven sleeper of this summer.

In other news, Roger Deakins will not return for Bond 24. I'm fine with that, interested to see what Mendes will be like without him. I love Skyfall for what it is, but have a feeling this next film may be more physical. It's time to see Craig's Bond go skiing.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:35 am
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

Looks incredibly childish and stupid. BUT due mainly to its release date and its not being a sequel, it should have a good chance to be the internet-driven sleeper of this summer.

In other news, Roger Deakins will not return for Bond 24. I'm fine with that, interested to see what Mendes will be like without him. I love Skyfall for what it is, but have a feeling this next film may be more physical. It's time to see Craig's Bond go skiing.

Looks pretty cool to me.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:51 am
Producer

Guardians of the Galaxy looks OKAY, I suppose. But it doesn't look nearly as good as Iron Man 1 & 3, Captain America and Thor were. And of course The Avengers.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:02 am
Cinematographer

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

It's sad to read the news about Deakins but I still trust what Mendes can achieve for Bond 24. Hope it is not going to be delayed beyond 2015 though :-)

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:46 am
Profile WWW
Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Guardians of the Galaxy looks OKAY, I suppose. But it doesn't look nearly as good as Iron Man 1 & 3, Captain America and Thor were. And of course The Avengers.

Looks better than Avengers, I agree there, but then anything does. Captain America was pretty bad so I wouldn't be surprised if Guardians is better than that as well. But a raccoon with a machine gun? And a kiddie version of Treebeard?

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:36 am
Producer

MGamesCook wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

Looks better than Avengers, I agree there, but then anything does. Captain America was pretty bad so I wouldn't be surprised if Guardians is better than that as well. But a raccoon with a machine gun? And a kiddie version of Treebeard?

I think you misread what I typed. If you think it looks better than the avengers, then you don't agree with me.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:54 am
Director

Whoops.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:12 am
Assistant Director

I watched the trailer last night, and I'm not sure what to expect from this. It reminds me a little bit of The Avengers in the sense that we have a team of heroes, but they appear to be going for an even more openly jokey tone here. I thought THE LEGO MOVIE looked like crap based on its trailers and ended up enjoying the hell out of it. In short, I can't tell what we're in for just yet.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 715 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 36  Next