Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:36 am

Best Scenes of 2013 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Best Scenes of 2013
Man of Steel - That part where Young Clark's powers started to manifest and he freaks out. Sheer utter genius.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:42 pm
Cinematographer

I know folks have mentioned Before Midnight already, the big fight and the ending especially, but for me it was the dinner table scene with the other couples, the old woman's last few minutes, especially. You get the perspective of love from 3 separate generations in the scene, coupled with a ton of cynicism and intellectual pontificating about the concept of love. Then that old woman, who's been silent the entire time, chimes in with a story about how she misses her husband and puts what love is in perfect perspective. It's eloquent, beautiful, and simple, but also shows how complex and irrational something like love is. As much as we like to think and use that to explain things, feeling is always more accurate. It crushed me emotionally for days after seeing the movie, in both wonderful and terrible ways.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:43 pm
Second Unit Director

PeachyPete wrote:
I know folks have mentioned Before Midnight already, the big fight and the ending especially, but for me it was the dinner table scene with the other couples, the old woman's last few minutes, especially. You get the perspective of love from 3 separate generations in the scene, coupled with a ton of cynicism and intellectual pontificating about the concept of love. Then that old woman, who's been silent the entire time, chimes in with a story about how she misses her husband and puts what love is in perfect perspective. It's eloquent, beautiful, and simple, but also shows how complex and irrational something like love is. As much as we like to think and use that to explain things, feeling is always more accurate. It crushed me emotionally for days after seeing the movie, in both wonderful and terrible ways.

That's really well put Pete. It's such a beautiful and thought provoking speech it felt like it had to be an experience she'd been through. It made me think of the lyrics in this timeless track... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H833o5lnB2E

Also too, love how the elderly man at the table says a few minutes before that about how the youngest couple, ( would've thought they'd be 17ish) were having the summer of their lives and they didn't know it.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:20 am
Assistant Director

The meeting between Emma and Adèle near the end of Blue is the Warmest Color was the best single scene that I saw from 2013. That last part rhymes.

In it, the two get together after some time apart and the conversation they have is the most painfully realistic rendering of that conversation that I've ever seen. Even Edward Albee didn't get so close to the bone. It's sad and sweet and beautiful and unbelievably arousing. It captures that crazy hunger two people can have for one another, each wanting to both care for and tear apart the other. We've all felt that and it's always the most wonderful and most unbearable memory of relationships past.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:34 am
Producer

The scene in the Wolf of Wall Street where Jonah Hill (in a drug induced near-coma) is stood there in the middle of a huge party just shamelessly jerking off over Margo Robbie, as if he was led in the privacy of his own bed.

You'd need a heart of stone not to laugh

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:12 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Iron Man 3 -
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The scene where we find out Ben Kingsley is not actually The Mandarin and then he shouts, "I AM THE MANDARIN" *Thunk!*
. I never read the comics so I thought that scene was friggin hilarious.

Pacific Rim - The entire Hong Kong sequence. I saw it in IMAX 3-D and it was amazing.

Rush - The crash scene. If you watch the original crash scene, they almost recreated it perfectly in the movie. Such a shocking and brutal scene.

Gravity - The first time they get hit with debris, when the shit hit the fan basically, I was the edge of my seat shaking.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:15 pm
Auteur

Convictions wrote:
Iron Man 3 -
[Reveal] Spoiler:
The scene where we find out Ben Kingsley is not actually The Mandarin and then he shouts, "I AM THE MANDARIN" *Thunk!*
. I never read the comics so I thought that scene was friggin hilarious.

Pacific Rim - The entire Hong Kong sequence. I saw it in IMAX 3-D and it was amazing.

Rush - The crash scene. If you watch the original crash scene, they almost recreated it perfectly in the movie. Such a shocking and brutal scene.

Gravity - The first time they get hit with debris, when the shit hit the fan basically, I was the edge of my seat shaking.

Agreed on Iron Man 3, for me the Mandarin was definitely changed for the better as in the comics he was a villain who basically embodied every single negative and offensive Chinese stereotype known to man. The sequence with all the Iron Man suits attacking at once was also pretty amazing.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:20 pm
Producer

Iron Man 3 has two absolutely incredible moments. The first is the attack on Tony Stark's house. And the second is when Air Force One is attacked and several people are thrown out of the airplane and Iron Man finds away to rescue all of them by having each of them grab and hold on to someone else's hand. It is a truly thrilling and breathtaking moment.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:28 am