Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:43 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
American Politics 
Author Message
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6500
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: American Politics
Ken wrote:
Mark III wrote:
This thread reminds me of Persona, while I'm on the subject. It will be revealed, on page 8, that Vexer is the author of every single post.

Sometimes I wonder if Vexer even writes all his own posts. I occasionally suspect that he's an algorithm programmed into the forum software. Some piece of code that gained intelligence and decided to let us all know what's up.


And his handle, Vexer, fits that theory all too well...

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:41 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:43 pm
Posts: 863
Post Re: American Politics
Ken wrote:
Mark III wrote:
This thread reminds me of Persona, while I'm on the subject. It will be revealed, on page 8, that Vexer is the author of every single post.

Sometimes I wonder if Vexer even writes all his own posts. I occasionally suspect that he's an algorithm programmed into the forum software. Some piece of code that gained intelligence and decided to let us all know what's up.


My God. If what you say is true, and it most assuredly is, then that can only mean one thing. We don't have much time. Why, even before I get to the end of this sen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr9wyy54P6A

_________________
"The Internet has given everybody in America a voice. For some reason, everybody decides to use that voice to bitch about movies." - Holden McNeil


Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:57 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: American Politics
There has to be some sort of modified version of Godwin's Law where the first person to suggest that his opponent will kickstart the nuclear apocalypse automatically loses the argument.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:08 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6500
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: American Politics
Ken wrote:
There has to be some sort of modified version of Godwin's Law where the first person to suggest that his opponent will kickstart the nuclear apocalypse automatically loses the argument.


Unless it's my boy Lyndon Johnson versus Barry Goldwater. Because LBJ didn't just win that argument, he won it to the tune of a record-setting 61% of the popular motherfucking vote!

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:20 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: American Politics
I hope you give your history lectures in character as Samuel L. Jackson.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:21 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:15 pm
Posts: 231
Post Re: American Politics
We have third parties. I personally would join the Libertarian party.


Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:02 pm
Profile
Critic
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:35 am
Posts: 6500
Location: Easton, MD
Post Re: American Politics
Ken wrote:
I hope you give your history lectures in character as Samuel L. Jackson.


I do enjoy doing voices. But anything that could be perceived as racist I try to avoid.

_________________
I'm lithe and fierce as a tiger


Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:14 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:14 am
Posts: 322
Post Re: American Politics
Yes, one of the more pointed pieces of advice from 30 Rock was from Tracy's wife to Liz: "Don't imitate other races."


Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:30 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Are Movies on Their Way Out?
Vexer wrote:
Mark III wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

Ken is right in this regard. But Cook also is. Take this for instance, women are funny people. Life would be shit without them. But women comics are dire.


The ghost of Christopher Hitchens walks among us.

Hitchens on why women aren't funny: http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/featu ... hens200701

I agree with Hitchens on some things(like his take on why Mother Theresa was anything but a saint), but that is definitely not one of them, he's WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY off base there IMO.

I was also very dumbfounded by his blind and incredibly ignorant support of the Iraq war, his counterarguments against Michael Moore just made him sound completely naive.


Just thought I'd add my 2 cents here. It was common at the back end of Hitchens life to say that he'd sold out to the man in siding with Bush on Iraq. But I don't think he did. Hitchens never moved over to the right. He was just a different generation of left. The spirit of Orwell and liberal interventionism. You may disagree with his opinions, and in the end he may well of been mistaken for holding them, but he did not sell out or simply side with Bush. Intervention in those circumstances is consistent with the ideas he held his whole life.

And Michael Moore - pah, the South Park lads summed his opportunistic politics up to a tee with this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMVh3RBOZeE

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:48 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4025
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Are Movies on Their Way Out?
I don't think Moore's politics are "opportunistic"

Parker and Stone's dislike for Moore had nothing to do with his politics, it had more to do with what Stone perceived as flawed editing in regards to his appearance in Bowling For Columbine. He had no issues with how the interview itself was presented, but he apparently didn't like it's proximity to the animated segment in the film and felt the animation was similar to that of South Park(I personally didn't see much of a resemblance), and he felt that gave the impression that him and Parker created that segment when they did not, (though personally I think they were overreacting a bit as the "proximity" wasn't that close, the animated segment was like 20 minutes after Stone's interview, so i'm pretty sure most people knew he had nothing to do with it)


Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:59 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Are Movies on Their Way Out?
Vexer wrote:
I don't think Moore's politics are "opportunistic"

Parker and Stone's dislike for Moore had nothing to do with his politics, it had more to do with what Stone perceived as flawed editing in regards to his appearance in Bowling For Columbine. He had no issues with how the interview itself was presented, but he apparently didn't like it's proximity to the animated segment in the film and felt the animation was similar to that of South Park(I personally didn't see much of a resemblance), and he felt that gave the impression that him and Parker created that segment when they did not, (though personally I think they were overreacting a bit as the "proximity" wasn't that close, the animated segment was like 20 minutes after Stone's interview, so i'm pretty sure most people knew he had nothing to do with it)


Flawed editing? He deliberately put a South Park-esq animation in there. It was downright misleading.

But that's Moore to a tee.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:07 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: Are Movies on Their Way Out?
For what it's worth, I never mistook the animation in BFC for anything Stone and Parker might have done, but it might be because I'm enough of a fan of South Park to recognize that it's obviously not their work. I can see how people who are just passingly familiar with the show might assume it was them, though.

I don't want to speak ill of the dead, particularly a towering intellect like Hitchens, but I do think his head popped just a little too far up his own ass at times for his own good. This was a man who would read several books per week and have retained enough of them to discuss his opinion of them in detail. An impressive feat, but I have to wonder if that led him to a slight detachment from the quotidian of regular people. His criticism of religion, in particular, seemed to exist so far into theory space that he saw evils in it that probably have more to do with socioeconomic dominance and good old-fashioned xenophobia. It's an unbecoming lapse for a self-styled Marxist, who ought to know a class struggle when he sees one.

Again, I admire Christopher Hitchens on the whole. I'd trust his expertise on a lot of things, but that doesn't make him right about everything and it doesn't make him immune to criticism.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:18 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm
Posts: 406
Post Re: Are Movies on Their Way Out?
Vexer wrote:
I don't think Moore's politics are "opportunistic"

Parker and Stone's dislike for Moore had nothing to do with his politics, it had more to do with what Stone perceived as flawed editing in regards to his appearance in Bowling For Columbine. He had no issues with how the interview itself was presented, but he apparently didn't like it's proximity to the animated segment in the film and felt the animation was similar to that of South Park(I personally didn't see much of a resemblance), and he felt that gave the impression that him and Parker created that segment when they did not, (though personally I think they were overreacting a bit as the "proximity" wasn't that close, the animated segment was like 20 minutes after Stone's interview, so i'm pretty sure most people knew he had nothing to do with it)


the animation was right after the Parker/Stone interview in theaters. It was moved farther away on home video have they rose a stink about it.


Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:19 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 am
Posts: 2725
Location: Lancashire, England.
Post Re: Are Movies on Their Way Out?
Ken wrote:
For what it's worth, I never mistook the animation in BFC for anything Stone and Parker might have done, but it might be because I'm enough of a fan of South Park to recognize that it's obviously not their work. I can see how people who are just passingly familiar with the show might assume it was them, though.

I don't want to speak ill of the dead, particularly a towering intellect like Hitchens, but I do think his head popped just a little too far up his own ass at times for his own good. This was a man who would read several books per week and have retained enough of them to discuss his opinion of them in detail. An impressive feat, but I have to wonder if that led him to a slight detachment from the quotidian of regular people. His criticism of religion, in particular, seemed to exist so far into theory space that he saw evils in it that probably have more to do with socioeconomic dominance and good old-fashioned xenophobia. It's an unbecoming lapse for a self-styled Marxist, who ought to know a class struggle when he sees one.

Again, I admire Christopher Hitchens on the whole. I'd trust his expertise on a lot of things, but that doesn't make him right about everything and it doesn't make him immune to criticism.


Yeah, I disagree with Hitchens on much myself. And as mistaken as he sometimes was, I do believe his opinions were held with at least internal consistency.

Over here, there is something of a subtle campaign to discredit him by simply claiming he sold out to the almighty $ on Iraq. Which is just blatantly untrue.

_________________
... because I'm a wild animal


Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:24 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4025
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Are Movies on Their Way Out?
NotHughGrant wrote:
Vexer wrote:
I don't think Moore's politics are "opportunistic"

Parker and Stone's dislike for Moore had nothing to do with his politics, it had more to do with what Stone perceived as flawed editing in regards to his appearance in Bowling For Columbine. He had no issues with how the interview itself was presented, but he apparently didn't like it's proximity to the animated segment in the film and felt the animation was similar to that of South Park(I personally didn't see much of a resemblance), and he felt that gave the impression that him and Parker created that segment when they did not, (though personally I think they were overreacting a bit as the "proximity" wasn't that close, the animated segment was like 20 minutes after Stone's interview, so i'm pretty sure most people knew he had nothing to do with it)


Flawed editing? He deliberately put a South Park-esq animation in there. It was downright misleading.

But that's Moore to a tee.

No he didn't "deliberately" mislead people by putting "South Perk-esque" animation in there(it looked nothing like South Park at all), I highly doubt Moore was intentionally trying to get people to believe that Stone and Parker had anything to do with it, I don't really see what would be the point of doing that in the first place.

I'm not trying to discredit Hitchens by any means, I think he's pretty much correct when it comes to religion, but I was very disturbed by his blind support for the war, whitewashing over the deaths of thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians and stupidly attempting to somehow justify the invasion.


Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:28 pm
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:49 am
Posts: 445
Post Re: Are Movies on Their Way Out?
Vexer wrote:
No he didn't "deliberately" mislead people by putting "South Perk-esque" animation in there


There's only two possible options: he did it deliberately, or he's an idiot who's too dumb to realize how it might appear. There's no other alternative.

Quote:
(it looked nothing like South Park at all), I highly doubt Moore was intentionally trying to get people to believe that Stone and Parker had anything to do with it


You're welcome to that opinion, but Matt Stone is on the record that he disagrees with you and feels that Moore was trying to imply Stone had done the cartoon. So you can't just dismiss the idea even if you don't agree with it.

Vexer wrote:
I'm not trying to discredit Hitchens by any means, I think he's pretty much correct when it comes to religion, but I was very disturbed by his blind support for the war


Explain precisely how his support was "blind." Because I don't think you know what that word means and it's insulting to the guy to say it that way. You can disagree with him all day long, but I see no evidence that he was unaware of what the war was causing. I'm not trying to be a dick, but there has to be some backup for statements like that. If you just don't agree with him that's fine, but don't accuse him of stuff you have no support for.

Vexer wrote:
whitewashing over the deaths of thousands of innocent Iraqi civilians and stupidly attempting to somehow justify the invasion.


And yet you like the current administration? Obama kills innocents on a daily basis with drones. Why is this more acceptable?


Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:09 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4025
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Are Movies on Their Way Out?
Shade2-Yes I like the current administration, though I really don't see what the hell that has to do with anything I just said :roll:(and no he dosen't "kill innocents" on a "daily basis" with drones so unless you actually have something to "back up" a statement like that, i'd suggest you not say things like that) So I really don't see why you care so damn much what my opinion is. :evil:

Moore is not an "idiot" just for putting that animated segment in there, again what would be the point of misleading people into thinking someone else did it? :? That's what I call Insane Troll Logic.

Your not exactly "backing up" your own statements, so what should I have to do the same for mine?


Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:25 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1807
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Are Movies on Their Way Out?
Vexer wrote:
"kill innocents"..."daily basis"..."back up"..."idiot"..."backing up"


Please stop doing this.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:35 pm
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 4025
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: Are Movies on Their Way Out?
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:
"kill innocents"..."daily basis"..."back up"..."idiot"..."backing up"


Please stop doing this.

Why? :? I see nothing wrong with using quotes to illustrate a point.


Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:37 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:04 pm
Posts: 1807
Location: New Hampshire
Post Re: Are Movies on Their Way Out?
Vexer wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Vexer wrote:
"kill innocents"..."daily basis"..."back up"..."idiot"..."backing up"


Please stop doing this.

Why? :? I see nothing wrong with using quotes to illustrate a point.


You're not using them properly. I am a grammar Nazi, I will admit. My point is that it is not necessary to use so many quotes in order to get your point across.

_________________
Death is pretty final
I'm collecting vinyl
I'm gonna DJ at the end of the world.


Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:44 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr