Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:20 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
What are you reading? 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: What are you reading?
After watching No Country for Old Men for the first time, I decided that I must read the novel. Excellent so far.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Steven wrote:
After watching No Country for Old Men for the first time, I decided that I must read the novel. Excellent so far.

Have you read any other McCarthy? No Country For Old Men was the first of his I read. It works as a nice introduction to his work, although in the grand scheme of things it's one of his lesser efforts.

I finished up Thomas Pynchon's new novel Bleeding Edge last week. It's one of his more accessible works, and his second mystery narrative in a row after Inherent Vice. The usual Pynchon tropes abound, from paranoia to pop culture references galore, only this time everything takes place at the opening of the last decade, just after the dotcom boom. You wouldn't think a writer now in his '70s could convincingly write a technological mystery/thriller, but he proves surprisingly adept with the turn of the century lingo and he gets all his references right (including a couple concerning Metal Gear Solid). Not sure if I would put it among the best of Pynchon, but it was a fun read.

On the side, I also read two graphic novels. The first was the introductory volume of Bill Willingham's Fables, which transposes fairy-tale characters into a modern noir-type setting. The first volume has an almost Sherlock Holmes feel, with the main character Bigby Wolf piecing together clues to solve the apparent murder of Snow White's sister. It intrigued me enough that I want to continue on with the series. The second was Charles Burns' Black Hole, a disturbing story about a group of 1970s teenagers infected by an STD that causes horrific bodily mutations. For awhile David Fincher was attached to a potential film version, but that appears to have gone by the wayside. Personally, I would dig a film adaptation in the rotoscope animation style of Richard Linklater's A Scanner Darkly.

Now reading: David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Blonde Almond wrote:
Steven wrote:

Have you read any other McCarthy? No Country For Old Men was the first of his I read. It works as a nice introduction to his work, although in the grand scheme of things it's one of his lesser efforts.

Its his first novel that I've read. I'm definitely interested in looking into some other things he's done.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

I've read No Country For Old Men, Suttree, and Blood Meridian. They're all very good, but all have very different personalities. NCFOM is the closest to a mainstream thriller--not too dense, lots of mystery to it, etc. It's not hard to see why some of its critics accuse it of being lightweight, but I do like the book. Suttree is a much more whimsical book. It doesn't give you much to keep pulling you through it, so you have to bring your own investment to it and appreciate it for the qualities of its prose and its weird characters. It's a long book and it doesn't give you an attention-grabbing hook moment every five pages. Blood Meridian is his best that I've read, but it's also easily the most stomach-churning depiction of violence I've ever experienced in any medium. "Unflinching" is kind of a cliche, but that's absolutely what Blood Meridian is. It's a thoroughly pessimistic depiction of human beings as base, terribly brutal creatures.

-

My buddy Jake lent me Anansi Boys, so I'm getting ready to bust into that, reading concurrently with the Superman book I mentioned before.

Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:53 pm
Cinematographer

Saw this at the library and felt compelled to give it a quick read:

This was published just after the first Cannes screening of 2046, so it's missing extended thoughts on that film, as well as thoughts on Wong's contribution to Eros, My Blueberry Nights and The Grandmaster. But it goes into strong detail on the recurring motifs, techniques, and themes of Wong Kar-wai's films up to that point, and on that level there is definitely a good deal of value, especially concerning some of his more "difficult" films.

I did find it distracting though that, despite it being a heavily-researched academic text, there seemed to be several clear factual errors, like the author's strange assertion that Mean Streets was Martin Scorcese's debut film, and that the music playing throughout Days Of Being Wild is Hawaiian (it's actually Brazilian), among others. Also, when talking about Ashes Of Time, the author is quick to tie in references to Kurosawa, but surprisingly none to the Zatoichi films (which like Wong's film prominently feature a blind swordsman), which seemed like an obvious connection to make. He also seems very willing to shoot down the theories of others (including David Bordwell) in favor of his own interpretations. These little quirks distracted me a little from the points the author was trying to get across, but I still found it illuminating and helpful overall.

Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Re-reading The Great Gatsby for the umpteenth time. I can't get enough of that book.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Currently read Ross OCarrol Kelly series.
It;s about irish rugby snobs in dublin.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:20 am
Director

Harlan Coben's Stay Close. He recycles the same plot over and over (something happens in the past and the protagonists have to decipher that out while trying to stay alive... maybe add in a few psychos here and there), but his books are quick and often so entertaining that he's my favorite "beach book"-type writer. The formula is getting stale here, but this one has a few good characters. Also a pair of truly memorable psychos (extremely polite, sadistic religious nutjobs called Ken and Barbie) that are two of his scarier villains.

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:11 am
Second Unit Director

I am currently reading all the Ross O Carroll Kelly books

Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:45 pm
Director

Just was gifted with the paperback edition of Walter Isaacson's Jobs and am loving it so far.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:32 pm
Director

Finished The Great Gatsby. Doesn't feel in love with it as the reputation would suggest, but the writing is lovely and that ending will definitely stay with me. So tragic.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:45 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

The Secret, a book that has fast become one of my favorites! :)

Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:27 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Recently finished the latest collection from George Saunders, Tenth of December. The most wonderful of these stories was 'The Semplica Girl Diaries", originally published in The New Yorker. Very highly recommended, one of the better pieces of contemporary fiction I've read in the last year.

http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/featur ... ntPage=all

@ Cormac McCarthy

"He thought the world's heart beat at some terrible cost and that the world's pain and its beauty moved in a relationship of diverging equity and that in this headlong deficit the blood of multitudes might ultimately be exacted for the vision of a single flower."

That's from All The Pretty Horses and is maybe his ultimate statement as an author. It's also the kind of sentence that those who want to write want to write.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:21 am
Assistant Second Unit Director

Reading Homicide A year on the killing streets. Probably the most fascinating book you'll ever read. Also Slimed an oral history of Nickelodeon's Golden Age.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:46 pm
Producer

Mark III wrote:
@ Cormac McCarthy

"He thought the world's heart beat at some terrible cost and that the world's pain and its beauty moved in a relationship of diverging equity and that in this headlong deficit the blood of multitudes might ultimately be exacted for the vision of a single flower."

That's from All The Pretty Horses and is maybe his ultimate statement as an author. It's also the kind of sentence that those who want to write want to write.

I like this shit. An Imma read this shit. Belee dat.

...Right after I finish Moby Dick, which I just started.

And in the meantime, I read through Anansi Boys, Needful Things, and the complete (finished) novels of Raymond Chandler, so now I'm on this conversational narration kick and I'm working on a short story that will hopefully function in that idiom.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:09 pm
Producer

I'm reading my Daughter what I genuinly consider to be one of the greatest ever books "Danny the Champion of the World".

Just wonderful. The ultimate book of parenthood. There is something of a film adaptation, starring no less than that sublime actor, Jeremy Irons,. But, alas, doesn't quite equal the novel

Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:34 pm
Director

Somehow that is Dahl's book that I remember vividly most from reading as a kid, maybe because it is his most realistic setting (if we're not counting his adult novels). Also may be the first thriller moment I got from a book, as I still recall, at 7 or 8, gripping the book hard while Danny was driving the car through the dark.

Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:14 pm
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
Mark III wrote:

...Right after I finish Moby Dick, which I just started.

There are entire passages that could double as some of the most incredible poetry of any era. Taken out of their context, they might as well be. It's one of the more challenging novels I've read (and at university, too; I wouldn't have likely self-directed myself through it) and one of the more rewarding, not the least in the descriptions and Melville's "I wish I could do that, too" prose.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:11 am
Producer

peng wrote:
Somehow that is Dahl's book that I remember vividly most from reading as a kid, maybe because it is his most realistic setting (if we're not counting his adult novels). Also may be the first thriller moment I got from a book, as I still recall, at 7 or 8, gripping the book hard while Danny was driving the car through the dark.

Its idea of what a parent (a Dad specifically) is to a young child is beautifully sublime

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:57 am
Second Unit Director

For all of you who enjoyed The Spectacular Now, the novel is well worth a read. Tons of material that didn't make it into the film. Plus you'll get a much better understanding of Sutter. Reading this has made me appreciate Teller's performance even more than I did previously.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next