Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:41 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
American Politics 
Director

Post Re: American Politics
Ken wrote:
Here's something that grinds my gears: this is a podcast show hosted by Kevin Smith, interviewing animation producer Paul Dini of Batman: The Animated Series fame. The topic of discussion is that Young Justice, one of Cartoon Network's shows, got canned on the basis that it had too much of a female viewership.

The issue here is that the superhero fan community is famously insular and skews male, and anytime superhero-related shows and publications are accused of excluding women, the fan community and the industry itself inevitably respond that the products cater to men because it's men who patronize the products, and that women simply aren't interested. So here is a bald-faced counterexample to that argument--a very popular show with a viewership almost evenly balanced along gender lines--and it still got canned.

The basic reality is that the products (books, shows, movies, merch) exclude women because the people responsible for greenlighting the products don't want the female audience, period. They have this calcified, unimaginative, outdated idea of who's watching their shows and buying their stuff, so they tailor the shows and the stuff according to that idea. The female audience is there--it's just that the industry doesn't want them, mainly by convincing itself that it's the other way around.

I find that this situation is a microcosm of much of the entertainment industry and of fan culture in general.

Uh, don't listen to this around your kids. Kevin Smith likes the F-bomb on his radio show just as much as he likes it in his movies. Or play it for your kids and expand their vocabulary.

In classic Hollywood, 30s, 40s, weren't the most successful movies catered toward women? One of the most famous directors of all time, Hitchcock, was known as a woman's director for much of his career. Starting in the 60s, though, it seems like men became the target demographic more than they ever had been before. Now, traditional "guy movies" are deemed politically incorrect. But I don't think the industry dislikes women. It's just that they know the truth, which is that guys watch more movies than girls do.

Even so, as Berardinelli himself pointed out recently, the blockbusters of Marvel have attracted women in a way that the old school of action never could. For whatever reason, this has also meant stripping their films of any humanity or craft whatsoever.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:41 am
Producer

Studies of demographics basically didn't exist until the 1960s.

I don't think the industry knows the truth. I think the corporate liaisons with the studios think they know a lot more than they actually do about who their potential audience is.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:08 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
Ken wrote:
Here's something that grinds my gears: this is a podcast show hosted by Kevin Smith, interviewing animation producer Paul Dini of Batman: The Animated Series fame. The topic of discussion is that Young Justice, one of Cartoon Network's shows, got canned on the basis that it had too much of a female viewership.

The issue here is that the superhero fan community is famously insular and skews male, and anytime superhero-related shows and publications are accused of excluding women, the fan community and the industry itself inevitably respond that the products cater to men because it's men who patronize the products, and that women simply aren't interested. So here is a bald-faced counterexample to that argument--a very popular show with a viewership almost evenly balanced along gender lines--and it still got canned.

The basic reality is that the products (books, shows, movies, merch) exclude women because the people responsible for greenlighting the products don't want the female audience, period. They have this calcified, unimaginative, outdated idea of who's watching their shows and buying their stuff, so they tailor the shows and the stuff according to that idea. The female audience is there--it's just that the industry doesn't want them, mainly by convincing itself that it's the other way around.

I find that this situation is a microcosm of much of the entertainment industry and of fan culture in general.

Uh, don't listen to this around your kids. Kevin Smith likes the F-bomb on his radio show just as much as he likes it in his movies. Or play it for your kids and expand their vocabulary.

In classic Hollywood, 30s, 40s, weren't the most successful movies catered toward women? One of the most famous directors of all time, Hitchcock, was known as a woman's director for much of his career. Starting in the 60s, though, it seems like men became the target demographic more than they ever had been before. Now, traditional "guy movies" are deemed politically incorrect. But I don't think the industry dislikes women. It's just that they know the truth, which is that guys watch more movies than girls do.

Even so, as Berardinelli himself pointed out recently, the blockbusters of Marvel have attracted women in a way that the old school of action never could. For whatever reason, this has also meant stripping their films of any humanity or craft whatsoever.

What the fuck are you talking about striplings there stuffs? They already have 2 black eyes...why would you need to tell them more than twice?

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:08 am
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
MGamesCook wrote:
Ken wrote:

What the fuck are you talking about striplings there stuffs? They already have 2 black eyes...why would you need to tell them more than twice?

WTF are you talking about :?

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:21 am
Producer

I don't want to dwell on ObamaCare because for one, I don't know much about it, and 2, have precious little inclination to find out.

But, it is obviously an all too familiar battleground between the perception of left and right. Or individual and state; conservative and (actually statist) liberals.

I'm glad we have an NHS, it would be hypocritical of me to deny this, as my family may well have been net-recipients of it in recent years. My Daughter was delivered. My Dad received a liver transplant and aftercare. Big jobs, big money. But at the same time, I recognise people's general disenfranchisement with leftist policies.

A few years ago, I was listening to the radio in the car. And Shirley Williams was talking. Shirley is a former leftwing MP and now Baroness of some esteem in the UK. And despite being in her mid-80s, has the mental faculties of a 30 year old. When the Soviet Union fell in 1990/91, Williams was consulted by the Russian government on the drafting of their new constitution. There was an element of internal conflict within the country, because although they recognised on one level that the Soviet Union was finished, they couldn't let go of its individual policies and ideals.

So there it went. A group of people sat around to discuss the new Russian constitution.

One man says "all Russians should have free health care". OK fine, who could disagree with that, right?

Another says "all Russians should have a free education". Ok, fine. that sounds fair

"All Russians should have a job". A noble idea, but now we are heading into a different realm.

"All Russians should have a house"

... right, what we have here are perfectly noble aims that we should all aspire to. But what you have is no longer a government of working policies, but to quote even the leftwing Shirley "a waste paper basket of people's ideals".

The list of what people should have in a working society is extensive, but government can't guarantee them, and more to the point (and somewhat more controversially) nor should it.

The question is, where does ObamaCare fall? Well, that's a cultural issue. America isn't the Soviet Union or even Britain. It would be hypocritical of me to berate an encompassing health care policy from a country that has one, but I expect, and respect, that numerous Americans will feel aggrieved by long term vote-grubbing measure like this one.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:17 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
WTF are you talking about

Well...I was hammered drunk...but was going off an old joke that goes like this: What do you tell a woman with two black eyes?.....nothing...you've already told her twice. (and yes it's a sexist, bad, misogynist, joke...I know)

You might be the lamest person I've ever had discourse with..still hoping against all hope you have the long troll going though.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:37 am
Cinematographer

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Well...I was hammered drunk...but was going off an old joke that goes like this: What do you tell a woman with two black eyes?.....nothing...you've already told her twice. (and yes it's a sexist, bad, misogynist, joke...I know)

You might be the lamest person I've ever had discourse with..still hoping against all hope you have the long troll going though.
'

Man...you should quite while you're behind. Vex wasn't the only one who didn't know WTF you were talking about / referencing. To paraphrase Ah-nold from "Raw Deal", "You should not drink and blog."

Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:32 pm
Second Unit Director

There is only one direction these shitfests end up going. Still not sure why you all do it.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:53 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Vexer wrote:

Considering you're the one who got banned for two weeks, I think we all know who's truly "lame" here :lol:

You're the absolute last person on earth who should be accusing anyone of being a "troll". If anyone's doing the 'long troll" thing, it's you with all you're incredibly stupid and juvenile sexist comments.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:26 pm
Second Unit Director

Nah bro...that just makes me a bawse...and at least I own up to being so...you pander around and don't own up to anything.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:36 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Nah bro...that just makes me a bawse...and at least I own up to being so...you pander around and don't own up to anything.

I'm not the one who's delusional enough to idolize and attempt to imitate Neil Jordan.

You're the one who's "pandering" around and not "owning up" to anything, you're not a boss(mispelling dosen't make you look cool, it just makes you sound like a high school dropout) at all, you're just an immature man-child desperately trying to impress people with your egotistical macho bragging :roll:

I think it's time for you to grow up "bro".

Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:43 pm
Assistant Director

Vexer wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

I'm not the one who's delusional enough to idolize and attempt to imitate Neil Jordan.

If only! The Crying Game is bawse in the eyes of many. Mona Lisa? Hot bauce on chicken wings. We could stand a few imitators.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:29 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

You're the one who's "pandering" around and not "owning up" to anything, you're not a boss(mispelling dosen't make you look cool, it just makes you sound like a high school dropout) at all, you're just an immature man-child desperately trying to impress people with your egotistical macho bragging :roll:

Who am I trying to impress? This is me...I'm the same always. Why should I grow up?...life is too short to be boring....................or a liberal.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:55 pm
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Vexer wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

Who am I trying to impress? This is me...I'm the same always. Why should I grow up?...life is too short to be boring....................or a liberal.

Beats being a narrow-minded and ignorant conservative any day of the week.

You should grow up because you're never going to get anywhere in life with your childish and immature attitude. Sometimes boring isn't always such a bad thing, being too wild and unpredictable will ultimately not end well, you don't really want to meet the same fate as Neil Jordan do you?

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:58 pm
Assistant Director

Attachment:
s_33_829__simpsonpicss.jpg
s_33_829__simpsonpicss.jpg [ 22.59 KiB | Viewed 277 times ]

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:44 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
(mispelling dosen't make you look cool, it just makes you sound like a high school dropout)

"Faux News" anyone?

Oh...never mind. :roll:

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:50 pm
Auteur

Johnny Larue wrote:
Vexer wrote:
(mispelling dosen't make you look cool, it just makes you sound like a high school dropout)

"Faux News" anyone?

Faux is an actual word though, bawse is not, i'm merely substituting one word for another, so i'm technically not mispelling anything. :roll:

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:00 pm
Critic

Mark III wrote:
Vexer wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

If only! The Crying Game is bawse in the eyes of many. Mona Lisa? Hot bauce on chicken wings. We could stand a few imitators.

In all seriousness, Mona Lisa is an excellent, thoroughly underrated movie

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:06 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Johnny Larue wrote:
Vexer wrote:

"Faux News" anyone?

Faux is an actual word though, bawse is not, i'm merely substituting one word for another, so i'm technically not mispelling anything. :roll:

Really? You're not misspelling "Fox"? Whether you type "Focks" or "Faux", real word or no, it is still a misspelling.

You say potatoe, I say potato.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:09 pm
Auteur

Yeah, okaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy then :?

Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:26 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next