Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:47 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16788 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 724, 725, 726, 727, 728, 729, 730 ... 840  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Auteur

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Ken wrote:
Sexual Chocolate wrote:
Hellraiser

An adaptation of Clive Barker's novel The Hellbound Heart, this is a decent horror film that manages to balance tension and icky effects for most of the film. The plot is handled well, considering Barker's material doesn't translate well to the screen usually. Only at the end does it drop the ball a bit, when it ventures into standard monster movie territory. But of the most part, this is one of the better cult films of the 80s.

I dig Hellraiser for the most part. The one thing that really irks me about it is how quickly the girl becomes an expert user of the box. I guess it's a pet peeve, but it always annoys me in movies when the characters master some completely novel, esoteric piece of technology as quickly as the plot requires.

That sort of thing dosen't really bother me too much as long as the rest of the film is handled well.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:12 am
Producer

Yeah, the rest of the movie is creative and well-put-together enough that it's an easy flaw to forgive. For the most part, the fantasy trappings of Hellraiser are handled well.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:22 am
Critic

Maybe I need to rewatch Hellraiser, because when I saw it I strongly disliked it. I found it threw a lot of grotesquery on screen rather than finding a coherent plot or characters.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:53 am
Producer

You're a lot of grotesquery without character.

I'm not usually into horror movies, so perhaps the fact that Hellraiser is interesting to me at all causes me to rate it more highly than someone else might, but that's how it is.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:57 am
Assistant Director

Watched Sherlock Jr. late last night. Enjoyable hijinks with two great scenes: one at a pool table with every ball but the unlucky 13th getting pocketed, the other being the introduction to a dream sequence where Keaton, in a movie within the movie, finds himself in wildly different climes and locations. The rest is fun and enthusiastic, just as intended. It's short, simple and has enough magic to work as a relief from the overcomplicated pyrotechnics to which I've grown bored. This isn't to say I was wild about it -- it's good fun but, aside from that dream sequence intro, didn't thrill me. Good, though. I'd have to see many, many more silent films before knowing where this one fits. It was certainly better than Motel Hell.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:05 am
Producer

her - *** 1/2 out of ****

At first, I wasn't sure how I felt about some of the bizarre turns the movie takes in the third act. But then came the incredibly lovely last 10 minutes or so and I fell back in love with the movie. Definitely one of my favorites of the year so far.

Oh, and doesn't Scarlett have the most amazingly beautiful and sexiest voice EVER? That woman is perfect in every way. She's a surprisingly great singer too.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:10 am
Cinematographer

The Lego Movie (2014)
Tons of fun to be had here in a world built out of Lego blocks (courtesy of computer animation). Emmit (Chris Pratt), possibly the world's blandest citizen who happily conforms to everyone and everything around him, has a happy life as a construction worker tearing down buildings and rebuilding newer and better structures. His life changes when, on one of the worksites, he encounters the rogue master builder Wild Style (aka Lucy) (Elizabeth Banks) and the prophetic "Piece of Resistance", which the other master builders hope to use to overthrow the evil plotting of President Business (Will Farrell). Emmit is hailed as the chosen one and the race begins to overthrow President Business before he can unleash his doomsday weapon, the Kragle, in three day's time.
There are lots of laughs and pop culture references here that work on young and old alike. While the script is smart and hits most of the correct notes, it was nice to hear Morgan Freeman (Vitruvius) and Liam Neeson (Good Cop / Bad Cop) be able to have some fun with their significant roles in the proceedings. And Will Arnett does a great riff on Batman.

The animation is funny as the creators have fun with not only the possibilities presented by Lego blocks, but also their limitations. I saw it in 2-D, and if I had a complaint, it's that in some of the more frantic action sequences, it can be tough to tell what exactly is going on as Lego vehicles go zooming and zipping and laser fire is everywhere and ships are either exploding into showers of Lego pieces or being transformed into other shapes.
Still, lots of fun. 3.5 / 4.0

Mitt(2014)
Having premiered at Sundance a few weeks ago, this documentary about 2008 and 2012 Presidential candidate Mitt Romney is now available on Netflix. While the film chronicles Romney's life during these campaigns, it is more about the candidate's private moments than the races themselves. Director Greg Whiteley (and crew) are given unfettered access to Romney and his family and the approach is really a "fly on the wall" perspective. Romney and family are rarely asked questions from a voice off camera or directly acknowledge the camera's presence. Sure, there are some remarks directed right into the camera, but they comprise less than 10% of the film's content.

Instead we see the candidate and his family in down times leading up to debates, or watching poll returns from generic hotel rooms, or trying to figure out what tweaks are necessary to messaging or image to support or refute the daily narrative. It may sound a bit wonky, but there is a lot of heart put on display onscreen. Romney is shown to be a man of great humility and caring and faith. Mitt realizes in 2008 that he is coming across as "the flippin' Mormon" because that is the narrative his opponents and the media have pinned on him, and there is not much he can do to fight the label.

The movie details the hardships of the Romney campaigns, but doesn't really celebrate the victories. The first 3rd of the movie is dedicated to the 2008 campaign and Romney's loss to McCain. The movie then gives a 1 minute montage to zip through Romney's 2012 primary win (not allowing us to view Romney's successful campaign or its management) and then picks up at the GOP convention where he accepts the nomination and continues his ill-fated quest against Obama. It is in these rocky moments that we probably see the man's truest nature.

For all of the talk during the campaign of the elitist Mitt Romney, what shows up on screen dispels some of those ideas. From him playing in the snow with his grandkids wearing last year's snow gloves that have been duct taped together, to him acknowledging the debt to his dad, who truly started from nothing and wound up running a car company and running for Governor, Mitt comes across as an everyman who is trying to do what he thinks is best for the country without causing too much pain and turmoil for his family.

There is an interesting sequence in the movie where the Romneys are in a hotel on the day of the first debate against Obama. Mitt and his family are nervous because they know what a great orator and speaker Barack is and they are trying to not put too much thinking into the upcoming showdown because it is too late to start changing strategy now. They must sit, and wait, and wait for night to come. It is nearing time to go and a wind has picked up outside. Somebody earlier in the day had eaten their lunch outside on the room's balcony and the wind has blown the garbage off the table and could send it sailing over the rail-wall. Mitt notices this and himself goes outside and collects up the garbage. He brings it in and, hands it to a staffer? Leaves it on the desk? No...walks it out of the room and down to the rubbish bin himself. It's a small moment, but one you wouldn't expect from a 1%, out of touch, elitist.

The movie is obviously slanted to paint Romney in a positive light, but it is not as over the top as a campaign video. It is worth watching now, but in another 5-10 years, Romney will be relegated to the dustbin of history with the rest of the "also rans". This movie is best seen when the echoes of the 2012 campaign narratives are still reverberating in people's heads. Not a great documentary, but it is a nice counterpoint to the propaganda, lies and embellishments run during the campaigns from both the candidate's enemies, and his own campaign. 3.0 / 4.0

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:34 am
Second Unit Director

NotHughGrant wrote:
peng wrote:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)

Its effect is really startling this time. I feel like I must not have been mature enough when first watched it. The central conflict is about people foolishly trying to engineer by science the complexity that is memory and love. The film works on a similar level by jumbling the narrative up in Kaufman's brilliant concept and Gondry's breathless visual, and all those mechanic and structure only allow its message about human's profundity of experience to feel more effective and aching. For once, Kaufman's clever and inventive writing is fully backed up by the characters and emotional story, and it's really, really great. 9.5/10

Damn right!

The only thing I disagree with peng is the rating. 10/10 easily.

Blonde Almond wrote:
Her - ... wonderful in just about every way imaginable.10/10.

Damn right! I think I'll be nominating Johannson for Best Actress for the Pedros.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:29 pm
Second Unit Director

Pacific Rim - Guillermo del Toro's visually spectacular homage to Godzilla, Neon Genesis Evangelion, etc. (fill in the blank with your favorite Japanese monster movie/anime) that unfortunately is unevenly acted and meanders a bit. The two Charlies are the weak links. Day is hilarious, but definitely not a strong actor, and his subplot feels like padding. Yes, Ron Perlman's cameo is delightfully quirky in that uniquely del Toro way, but it's not necessary. Not to mention that Day's role doesn't really suit his unique talents. Hunnam looks the part perfectly but doesn't really add much to make his character memorable (though the better actors bring out some good stuff from him, so I guess he plays off other actors well), and was an unfortunate choice to narrate the prologue. His voice is just too bland. If they had to have one of the characters narrate it, they should have gone with Idris Elba, who's easily the highlight. He's a force of nature, and commands attention. Rinko Kikuchi doesn't astonish the way she did in her breakthrough role in Babel (curiously enough, directed by another Mexican) but she brings strength and vulnerability to her role, and solidifies her status as an actor to watch. Rob Kazinsky was fine, but I mention him primarily for the odd connection he shares with del Toro: both left The Hobbit (he was initially cast as Fili), and then made Pacific Rim. Coincidence?

Of course the reason to watch this is the action scenes, and they absolutely do not disappoint. The visual effects are astounding (WTF Oscars?), and they get the blood pumping as you'd expect. The Hong Kong battle, with the violence offset by the glitzy city lights, is spectacular. I was indifferent to the ending, which seemed rather cliche (the very end I mean) and had one too many uses of the noble sacrifice trope. The first instance was far more affecting IMO. Not the masterpiece one might have hoped for, but a very good action movie overall. 7.5/10

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:04 pm
Director

Johnny Larue wrote:

Mitt(2014)
Having premiered at Sundance a few weeks ago, this documentary about 2008 and 2012 Presidential candidate Mitt Romney is now available on Netflix. While the film chronicles Romney's life during these campaigns, it is more about the candidate's private moments than the races themselves. Director Greg Whiteley (and crew) are given unfettered access to Romney and his family and the approach is really a "fly on the wall" perspective. Romney and family are rarely asked questions from a voice off camera or directly acknowledge the camera's presence. Sure, there are some remarks directed right into the camera, but they comprise less than 10% of the film's content.

Instead we see the candidate and his family in down times leading up to debates, or watching poll returns from generic hotel rooms, or trying to figure out what tweaks are necessary to messaging or image to support or refute the daily narrative. It may sound a bit wonky, but there is a lot of heart put on display onscreen. Romney is shown to be a man of great humility and caring and faith. Mitt realizes in 2008 that he is coming across as "the flippin' Mormon" because that is the narrative his opponents and the media have pinned on him, and there is not much he can do to fight the label.

The movie details the hardships of the Romney campaigns, but doesn't really celebrate the victories. The first 3rd of the movie is dedicated to the 2008 campaign and Romney's loss to McCain. The movie then gives a 1 minute montage to zip through Romney's 2012 primary win (not allowing us to view Romney's successful campaign or its management) and then picks up at the GOP convention where he accepts the nomination and continues his ill-fated quest against Obama. It is in these rocky moments that we probably see the man's truest nature.

For all of the talk during the campaign of the elitist Mitt Romney, what shows up on screen dispels some of those ideas. From him playing in the snow with his grandkids wearing last year's snow gloves that have been duct taped together, to him acknowledging the debt to his dad, who truly started from nothing and wound up running a car company and running for Governor, Mitt comes across as an everyman who is trying to do what he thinks is best for the country without causing too much pain and turmoil for his family.

There is an interesting sequence in the movie where the Romneys are in a hotel on the day of the first debate against Obama. Mitt and his family are nervous because they know what a great orator and speaker Barack is and they are trying to not put too much thinking into the upcoming showdown because it is too late to start changing strategy now. They must sit, and wait, and wait for night to come. It is nearing time to go and a wind has picked up outside. Somebody earlier in the day had eaten their lunch outside on the room's balcony and the wind has blown the garbage off the table and could send it sailing over the rail-wall. Mitt notices this and himself goes outside and collects up the garbage. He brings it in and, hands it to a staffer? Leaves it on the desk? No...walks it out of the room and down to the rubbish bin himself. It's a small moment, but one you wouldn't expect from a 1%, out of touch, elitist.

The movie is obviously slanted to paint Romney in a positive light, but it is not as over the top as a campaign video. It is worth watching now, but in another 5-10 years, Romney will be relegated to the dustbin of history with the rest of the "also rans". This movie is best seen when the echoes of the 2012 campaign narratives are still reverberating in people's heads. Not a great documentary, but it is a nice counterpoint to the propaganda, lies and embellishments run during the campaigns from both the candidate's enemies, and his own campaign. 3.0 / 4.0

I recently watched this too. It's an interesting film, and I think it illustrates well why Romney lost. He was great doing one-on-one greetings; he's warm, outgoing and very personable. On the stump, he's bland, stiff and robotic. This was one of the advantages Obama had; he's much more engaging on the stump.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:53 pm
Producer

I think the Republicans were damaged by the needless alienation of certain communities who if massaged just a little, would lean conservatively

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:16 pm
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:
I think the Republicans were damaged by the needless alienation of certain communities who if massaged just a little, would lean conservatively

After this and some rumblings in the Wolf of Wall Street thread, I'm making an American politics thread. If you want to talk about politics unconnected to movies, go there.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:23 pm
Assistant Director

Gwaihir wrote:
Pacific Rim - Guillermo del Toro's visually spectacular homage to Godzilla, Neon Genesis Evangelion, etc. (fill in the blank with your favorite Japanese monster movie/anime) that unfortunately is unevenly acted and meanders a bit. The two Charlies are the weak links. Day is hilarious, but definitely not a strong actor, and his subplot feels like padding. Yes, Ron Perlman's cameo is delightfully quirky in that uniquely del Toro way, but it's not necessary. Not to mention that Day's role doesn't really suit his unique talents. Hunnam looks the part perfectly but doesn't really add much to make his character memorable (though the better actors bring out some good stuff from him, so I guess he plays off other actors well), and was an unfortunate choice to narrate the prologue. His voice is just too bland. If they had to have one of the characters narrate it, they should have gone with Idris Elba, who's easily the highlight. He's a force of nature, and commands attention. Rinko Kikuchi doesn't astonish the way she did in her breakthrough role in Babel (curiously enough, directed by another Mexican) but she brings strength and vulnerability to her role, and solidifies her status as an actor to watch. Rob Kazinsky was fine, but I mention him primarily for the odd connection he shares with del Toro: both left The Hobbit (he was initially cast as Fili), and then made Pacific Rim. Coincidence?

Of course the reason to watch this is the action scenes, and they absolutely do not disappoint. The visual effects are astounding (WTF Oscars?), and they get the blood pumping as you'd expect. The Hong Kong battle, with the violence offset by the glitzy city lights, is spectacular. I was indifferent to the ending, which seemed rather cliche (the very end I mean) and had one too many uses of the noble sacrifice trope. The first instance was far more affecting IMO. Not the masterpiece one might have hoped for, but a very good action movie overall. 7.5/10

Ugh, I think I spent most of the film rolling my eyes at the awful dialogue and performances :roll: I gave it a C, and I think it is at the bottom of my 2013 list.

EDIT: Almost at the bottom. Higher than Mama, but probably tied with Oblivion.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Producer

Robocop 2 (1990)

2's biggest problems are -

1. It lacks the wit of the original

2. The villains are just nasty as opposed to charismatic tyrants

3. The plague of sequels in general - basically that they suffer from a lack of relevance, necessity, and plot efficiency. Too contrived, in other words.

BUT, Robocop 2 isn't absolutely terrible. There are still some witty and concise observations. And the cinematography puts some gloomy modern-day actioners to shame.

Frank Miller's stamp is evident here. Perhaps an earlier insight into his psyche, with Robocop's brief and bizarre spell as a liberal and much abused peace-keeping nutcase (highlights include reading arrest rights to a man his partner already killed and being heckled by a group of pre-pubescent children)

One problem I have with it is that it's too violent. Or perhaps that the violence is more for the sake of it instead of being part of the broader themes of satire explored in the original.

In short, the sequel is only really for hardcore muscle-headed actioners. It's not as smart, funny or economic in its screenplay as the first. But, not the worst film ever made either.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:40 am
Second Unit Director

Thief12 wrote:
Gwaihir wrote:

Ugh, I think I spent most of the film rolling my eyes at the awful dialogue and performances :roll: I gave it a C, and I think it is at the bottom of my 2013 list.

That's a very fair critique, and I'll admit that my partiality to it was probably largely due to my enjoyment of its inspirations, like the aforementioned Neon Genesis Evangelion. Outside of Elba and Kikuchi, the performances weren't particularly good.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:30 pm
Second Unit Director

Prisoners - Harrowing, extremely well-acted film that shows how far some people are willing to go to protect their own. Hugh Jackman delivers a powerful performance as a father who eventually resorts to extreme measures to try to find his daughter, who goes missing on Thanksgiving along with his neighbor's daughter. Jake Gyllenhaal is equally impressive as the detective assigned to the case. The acting is overall wonderful though, from the leads to Maria Bello as Jackman's wife to Terence Howard and Viola Davis as the parents of the other missing child to Melissa Leo and Paul Dano as the most obvious suspects. Even the minor turns, like Dylan Minnette as Jackman's son, Wayne Duvall as the police chief, and Len Cariou and David Dastmalchian as other criminals in the town whose connection to the central case is not immediately obvious, are also very good.

I think what's most memorable about Prisoners is that the characters are all believably human and flawed. They all make mistakes and controversial and hard decisions, and there's really no obvious right or wrong here. One can question the methods or motives of everyone involved, but some successes happen because of their decisions. This is thought-provoking, intense filmmaking that deserves to be celebrated. While I completely agree with Roger Deakins' nomination for Best Cinematography, this is definitely a candidate for Most Unjustly Overlooked Picture by the Academy of 2013. 9/10

Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:23 pm
Second Unit Director

LA Confidential

Very good movie with what I thought were a few flaws. Since I'm feeling lazy and the list of flaws are much smaller (although not insignificant) than the strengths I'll just focus on those. First, the middle section started to drag a little bit, although maybe that was because I recently injured myself and sitting now for long periods actually be somewhat painful, so maybe that contributed it. (Got it by Netflix and wanted to send it back, because otherwise, I've been generally choosing short movies over longer ones recently). The other flaw is not understanding what exactly was the bad guys motivation. Imean the broad ones are obvious but I felt there were a few specifics that need clearing up. But that could have been due to the injury making it harder for me to focus on details during the later parts.

I know people complain about when the bad guy explains there whole master plan to the captive good guy, but while such confesions seem like sloppy plotting, I think they serve a more important function of explaing the bad guys motivation. And while the writers manage to avoid sloppy plotting at the end, they fail to explain the bad guys motivation (or at least I failed to understand the motivations very well).

Otherwise a 3.5 out of 4 stars.
-Jeremy

Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:49 pm
Profile WWW
Critic

thered47 wrote:
LA Confidential

Very good movie with what I thought were a few flaws. Since I'm feeling lazy and the list of flaws are much smaller (although not insignificant) than the strengths I'll just focus on those. First, the middle section started to drag a little bit, although maybe that was because I recently injured myself and sitting now for long periods actually be somewhat painful, so maybe that contributed it. (Got it by Netflix and wanted to send it back, because otherwise, I've been generally choosing short movies over longer ones recently). The other flaw is not understanding what exactly was the bad guys motivation. Imean the broad ones are obvious but I felt there were a few specifics that need clearing up. But that could have been due to the injury making it harder for me to focus on details during the later parts.

I know people complain about when the bad guy explains there whole master plan to the captive good guy, but while such confesions seem like sloppy plotting, I think they serve a more important function of explaing the bad guys motivation. And while the writers manage to avoid sloppy plotting at the end, they fail to explain the bad guys motivation (or at least I failed to understand the motivations very well).

-Jeremy

I think the bad guy's motivation is perfectly clear:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Dudley Smith, the seeming avuncular police chief, wants to control organized crime in Los Angeles. His two-man shooter team, Bruning and Carlisle, execute a number of Mickey Cohen's former lieutenants while the police muscle pretenders to the throne out of town. He then turns on his former criminal partners, attempting to clear the final obstacles to the top spot.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:46 pm
Assistant Director

Gwaihir wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
Gwaihir wrote:

That's a very fair critique, and I'll admit that my partiality to it was probably largely due to my enjoyment of its inspirations, like the aforementioned Neon Genesis Evangelion. Outside of Elba and Kikuchi, the performances weren't particularly good.

And even Elba and Kikuchi get dragged down by the awful dialogue.

As for the inspirations, I haven't seen Neon Genesis Evangelion, but I did draw parallels to Godzilla which you mentioned, and other mecha series like Mazinger, which is why I admired the Hong Kong fight (which you also mentioned). I think I wrote it in a review I posted about a week ago, but that's the moment where the film most firmly embraces its roots and the result is effective. But that's probably an hour or more into the film, surrounded by some half-assed exposition, the aforementioned poor dialogue and acting, as well as silly clichés.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:41 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

thered47 wrote:
LA Confidential

-Jeremy

Easily one of my favorite films. Ironically, the only flaw I always come up with is Kim Basinger.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16788 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 724, 725, 726, 727, 728, 729, 730 ... 840  Next