Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:54 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
American Politics 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: American Politics
MY TURN MY TURN MY TURN!!!!!

JamesKunz wrote:
Why oh why can't we cut the military?

The truth is we have our hands in way too many cookie jars around the world, and if we cut our military, which other countries observe as our raw power, then that can be seen as a sign of weakness and thus have certain countries move against us.

Jeff Wilder wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing something along the lines of a flat tax.

This will never happen as it also creates a bigger gap between the poor, middle class, and upper class. I want to see a luxury/consumption tax implemented. It seems to be the most fair way to divvy up the taxes between classes.

Jeff Wilder wrote:
Generally I'm also pro gun rights for the most part. I understand that the Second Amendment was created for the protection of American citizens from btoh criminals and the government should the need ever arise.

Yes, this is precisely why it was created, but then you have liberal comedians screaming: "Well, the government has tanks, and jet fighters, and nuclear weapons...are we honestly supposed to let the public have those things as well? Can john smith with an assault rifle and shotgun really hold off the US gov't/military?"

And with those comments, a true solution will never be found. I remember learning about a man named hitler who upon coming to full power, was allowed to make every citizen turn in one's firearms. Then he exterminated millions of people. That was just 70 years ago. History can/does/ repeat itself; it's just not a cliche saying.

On obamacare...everybody knows my opinions on it, already from that disastrous other thread. I'll just say I don't like it.

Prayer in schools: I believe in the separation of church and state, but at the same time, I'm glad that I came from a small southern town and went to a private school where we still prayed every day.

Gay rights: I've stated multiple times that I believe every single man and woman who is a US citizen, should enjoy every single right that anyone else enjoys. Gay, straight, or otherwise. I just think being gay is weird, but under the eyes of the law and Constitution...my neighbors Gay Joe and Straight Joe are equal.

Vexer wrote:
Well I just read this story today and it's this very reason why I truly despise most Republicans:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/02/09/1276212/-Oklahoma-Restaurant-No-Freaks-F-ggots-N-ggers-Disabled-or-Welfare-Freeloaders?detail=email

So you are going to stereotype and compare these assholes with all republicans? You might be the biggest hypocrite on this board. Those people are no better than Westboro Church, and as a White, Southern, Conservative, Republican...I would never eat there.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:33 pm
Critic

roastbeef_ajus wrote:

JamesKunz wrote:

The truth is we have our hands in way too many cookie jars around the world, and if we cut our military, which other countries observe as our raw power, then that can be seen as a sign of weakness and thus have certain countries move against us.

If their "moving against us" means we have to retreat from our various spheres of influence, then that's another reason to cut the miliary. Do you know what the world's shortest book is? Well, other than "Modern Italian War Heroes" and "The Great English Cookbook," it's "American Foreign Policy Success Stories, Post-Korean War." Being the world's police hasn't worked well at all. I'd love us to get our hands out of the various cookie jars

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:54 pm
Cinematographer

JamesKunz wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

JamesKunz wrote:

If their "moving against us" means we have to retreat from our various spheres of influence, then that's another reason to cut the miliary. Do you know what the world's shortest book is? Well, other than "Modern Italian War Heroes" and "The Great English Cookbook," it's "American Foreign Policy Success Stories, Post-Korean War." Being the world's police hasn't worked well at all. I'd love us to get our hands out of the various cookie jars

Why you commie hippie- the American military and the CIA have been protecting democracy for over 60 years!!! How dare you suggest that funding be cut to those great institutions of world peace?! :roll:

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:01 am
Auteur

roastbeef-You're the last person on earth who should be calling anyone a hypocrite.

I'm happy I didn't got to a religious private school like my sister did, religion in general just never made any kind of sense to me, but that's for another thread.

I'm pro-gun as well, but at the same time I do support background checks on individuals purchasing weapons, as do many other NRA members, my dad owns quite a few guns, but dosen't believe people should be able to get their hands on military-grade weapons with such ease.

I'm all for the legalization of marijuana, but i'm against decriminalizing harder drugs, because i've heard some real horror stories about people addicted to Heroin, and legalizing that drug would not be a very good idea, legalizing harder drugs won't stop people from ODing.

I'm in favor of the Death Penalty when it comes to rotten individuals like James Holmes who truly deserve to die.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:12 am
Producer

America's ass is too broke to police the world any more.

The next 50 years will be one of quietly geting on with increasing one's productivity and staying the hell out of 3rd world politics

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:01 am
Producer

JamesKunz wrote:
roastbeef_ajus wrote:

JamesKunz wrote:

Hang on, we can cook!

Remind me who are the world's largest consumers of fast food filth .. the old US perhaps?

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:04 am
Producer

NotHughGrant wrote:
America's ass is too broke to police the world any more.

The next 50 years will be one of quietly geting on with increasing one's productivity and staying the hell out of 3rd world politics

Everybody listen to this guy. He knows what it's like to live in a country whose vast imperial influence has dwindled to nothing.

NotHughGrant wrote:
Hang on, we can cook!

Remind me who are the world's largest consumers of fast food filth .. the old US perhaps?

You won't hear me complaining. You guys invented French fries. Who doesn't love French fries?

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:10 am
Producer

Quote:
Everybody listen to this guy. He knows what it's like to live in a country whose vast imperial influence has dwindled to nothing.

Exactamundo!

Worse is hearing our political and media classes debating this non-existent Empire

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:19 am
Auteur

I love me some fast-food, so you won't hear me complaining about that.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:21 am
Producer

I will say this though, our power didn't just dwindle, the baton was relayed to the US in the most seamless transition of power in history. Following WWII, the US was Britain 2.0.

At this time, in 1945, our economy was tanked, and our debt galactic in scale. Like Marx said, history does repeat, often as farce

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:35 am
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:
I will say this though, our power didn't just dwindle, the baton was relayed to the US in the most seamless transition of power in history. Following WWII, the US was Britain 2.0.

At this time, in 1945, our economy was tanked, and our debt galactic in scale. Like Marx said, history does repeat, often as farce

Yeah 1945-1954 was a pretty terrible time to be in Britain. I really hope that America doesn't find out quite how terrible.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:33 am
Producer

Technology will ensure it won't be literally that bad, but yeah, a grim time by some metrics.

My Dad was born in 1947, and after my Uncle was born in 1951, they emigrated for a while to find a better life ....

... in Germany!

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:04 am
Cinematographer

This is why I hate Democrats. They are all so horribly racist.

http://mediatrackers.org/national/2013/ ... -officials

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:20 am
Second Unit Director

Curious how many of you have spoken at a City Council or County Board meeting?

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:58 am
Cinematographer

I spoke to the city council many times as the chosen mouthpiece for my neighborhood association.

I doubt U.S. politics are much different than other countries. It's amazing how many politicians are able to make a fine living on salaries at the local level that pay less than $50,000 per year. And how fierce the battles are to attain and keep those positions.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:59 am
Cinematographer

I've spoken at a school board meeting. That's about as far as I've gone.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:33 pm
Auteur

Johnny Larue wrote:

Eh, those didn't really strike me as racist, more like incredibly ridiculous.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:30 pm
Producer

Let's not mix up our partisan stereotypes.

Republicans: more likely to be racist.

Democrats: more likely to complain that a movie is somehow "wrong". Which is actually worse if you think about it.

In fact, I'll keep this going.

Greens: commies, or hippies. Commie hippies.

Libertarians: self-centered jerks.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:38 pm
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
Let's not mix up our partisan stereotypes.

Republicans: more likely to be racist.

Democrats: more likely to complain that a movie is somehow "wrong". Which is actually worse if you think about it.

In fact, I'll keep this going.

Greens: commies, or hippies. Commie hippies.

Libertarians: self-centered jerks.

You forgot Tea Party members: more likely to be batshit crazy.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:38 pm
Cinematographer

Vexer wrote:
Johnny Larue wrote:

Eh, those didn't really strike me as racist, more like incredibly ridiculous.

That actually explains a lot.... :evil:

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:44 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next