Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:32 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 38  Next
General Movie News 
Director

Post Re: General Movie News
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XHA9OcJ1gg

Very extended Spidey 2 trailer. And I do mean extended. It feels almost like they show the whole first half of the movie.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:20 am
Director

Tyrese's Audition Tape For Django Unchained.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:04 pm
Director

Full-Length Snowpiercer Coming to U.S. -- If You Can Find It

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:00 am
Producer

James Franco will be doing an adaptation of the behind-the-scenes making of The Room.

No word yet on whether or not Danny DeVito will be cast as the lump in Lisa's neck, but hope springs eternal.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:48 pm
Director

Nic Cage for Tommy Wiseau plz.

Mike Tyson & Pamela Anderson Join Russell Brand In Werner Herzog's 'Vernon God Little'

I think I read the book when it came out (and translated). Only remember the beginning and the end, but recall the tone of the book pretty absurdist, so I guess those cast fit right in.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:03 am
Producer

Ken wrote:
James Franco will be doing an adaptation of the behind-the-scenes making of The Room.

No word yet on whether or not Danny DeVito will be cast as the lump in Lisa's neck, but hope springs eternal.

From the AV Club comments:

Quote:
I hope it's revealed that everything Wiseau's ever done in public, he did it because he's been secretly working for Franco for the last thirteen years.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:45 am
Producer

According to Rotten Tomatoes statistics, February movies are the worst.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:52 pm
Director

I still think January edges it out. I can't think of a single great (non-Awards Season holdover or Sundance premiere) film that's ever come out in January; February, as the article pointed out, has at least had "The Silence of the Lambs" and "In Bruges," as well as "Side Effects" last year. :?

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:07 am
Auteur

H.I. McDonough wrote:

I still think January edges it out. I can't think of a single great (non-Awards Season holdover or Sundance premiere) film that's ever come out in January; February, as the article pointed out, has at least had "The Silence of the Lambs" and "In Bruges," as well as "Side Effects" last year. :?

I can think of plenty of good films that came out in January.

Side Effects was a piece of crap if you ask me.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:42 pm
Director

Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:11 pm
Director

hmm, I think this may be a sign that the film isn't all spectacle (since English speaking territories aren't getting the 3D version)

Quote:
In an attempt to mop up in overseas markets, Paramount Pictures is preparing a 3D version of Darren Aronofsky’s epic Noah to release in 65 foreign countries, including Russia, all of South America and most of continental Europe. The film will be released on Imax in 32 of those markets.

According to an insider, Noah will be released exclusively in 2D in the U.S, the U.K., Australia and France, where Paramount believes the audience will respond to "the combination of the pedigree of the director and the cast and the dramatic elements of the story.

The film, which stars Russell Crowe, Emma Watson and Jennifer Connelly, cost more than $125 million. The studio is spending another $10 million to create the 3D version.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/p ... now_DEmery

Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:41 pm
Cinematographer

That Under The Skin poster is terrific. Reminds me a little of this:

Glazer's film is probably at the top of my list of most anticipated films of 2014's first half, just beating out Enemy and Richard Ayoade's The Double.

Speaking of that last one, here's the intriguing trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVm2xxVakxg

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:41 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Blonde Almond wrote:

Glazer's film is probably at the top of my list of most anticipated films of 2014's first half, just beating out Enemy and Richard Ayoade's The Double.

You may as well check out +1 for a doppelgänger-based movie marathon.

Anyone seen +1? Not at all a bad movie (wait until the cleverness kicks in, don't just pack things up when you think you know where it's going) even if the incredibly interesting idea would have been even more interesting outside of satirical teen sex movie. Still, kind of ingenious (you've got to patiently ignore the cliches and flimsy set-up) and worth a look.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:51 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
H.I. McDonough wrote:

I can think of plenty of good films that came out in January.

Side Effects was a piece of crap if you ask me.

... which is why I didn't ask you, since you're one of the only members of this forum who watches movies solely for the entertainment aspect (to which you'll undoubtedly retort There's nothing wrong with that, to which I'd think to myself No, there isn't, but some of us seek a little more from the movies we see, at which point I'll stop before this process gets too "Inception"-like :ugeek: ). And I'd ask for examples of these good movies that have come out in January, but I doubt I'll agree with any of them... so I'll open the floor to anyone else...

Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:00 am
Director

Quote:
which is why I didn't ask you, since you're one of the only members of this forum who watches movies solely for the entertainment aspect (to which you'll undoubtedly retort There's nothing wrong with that, to which I'd think to myself No, there isn't, but some of us seek a little more from the movies we see, at which point I'll stop before this process gets too "Inception"-like :ugeek: ). And I'd ask for examples of these good movies that have come out in January, but I doubt I'll agree with any of them... so I'll open the floor to anyone else...

Even though we've been over this many times, I don't think it's fair to say Vexer watches movies solely for the entertainment aspect. Maybe he does, but I know I don't, and I like many of the same films as he does, especially in the action department. I don't see anything wrong with disliking Side Effects, I'm not a Soderbergh fan either. February/March usually has one or more genre exercises with formalistic value, which is one of the main reasons why I watch movies.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:10 am
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
which is why I didn't ask you, since you're one of the only members of this forum who watches movies solely for the entertainment aspect (to which you'll undoubtedly retort There's nothing wrong with that, to which I'd think to myself No, there isn't, but some of us seek a little more from the movies we see, at which point I'll stop before this process gets too "Inception"-like :ugeek: ). And I'd ask for examples of these good movies that have come out in January, but I doubt I'll agree with any of them... so I'll open the floor to anyone else...

Even though we've been over this many times, I don't think it's fair to say Vexer watches movies solely for the entertainment aspect. Maybe he does, but I know I don't, and I like many of the same films as he does, especially in the action department. I don't see anything wrong with disliking Side Effects, I'm not a Soderbergh fan either. February/March usually has one or more genre exercises with formalistic value, which is one of the main reasons why I watch movies.

Just cause I don't like Side Effects dosen't mean I don't seek "more" from films, I simply found Side Effects to be a pedestrian and mediocre thriller with a weak story, phoned in performances and a lame twist that can be seen coming from light years away, it's by far Soderbergh's worst film.

It's true that a lot of the time I do watch films for entertainment, but sometimes I do seek deeper films out, like Lone Survivor, Captain Phillips, The Fifth Estate, etc.

Oh and H.I., no one "asked" you either.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:29 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
but sometimes I do seek deeper films out, like Lone Survivor, Captain Phillips, The Fifth Estate,

I wouldn't consider Lone Survivor, Captain Phillips, or The Fifth Estate deep films. Although Captain Phillips is at least a little deeper than shallow as it tries to explore and offer sympathy for the pirate captain.

A film to be seen just for the entertainment factor that most can attest to is Gravity...A spectacle of entertainment. A deep film that most other critics can attest to is Prisoners. Two of my favorite movies of the year, for different reasons.

note:I in know way expect you to agree.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:10 am
Auteur

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
Vexer wrote:
but sometimes I do seek deeper films out, like Lone Survivor, Captain Phillips, The Fifth Estate,

I wouldn't consider Lone Survivor, Captain Phillips, or The Fifth Estate deep films. Although Captain Phillips is at least a little deeper than shallow as it tries to explore and offer sympathy for the pirate captain.

A film to be seen just for the entertainment factor that most can attest to is Gravity...A spectacle of entertainment. A deep film that most other critics can attest to is Prisoners. Two of my favorite movies of the year, for different reasons.

note:I in know way expect you to agree.

True, a better example would be Fruitvale Station.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:13 am
Producer

Ken wrote:

This film needs more exposure.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:49 am
Producer

The only two January releases that come to mind that I liked were Calendar Girls and Cloverfield, but I'm sure there were others.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:18 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 741 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 38  Next