Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:31 pm

Best Scenes of 2013 
Director

Post Best Scenes of 2013
JamesKunz made this same topic last year, which yielded many interesting thoughts (and some film recommendations). Here are some of mine to start with. I will try to be vague, but there may be spoilers:

Before Midnight:

The tentative ending. I know many people will choose the fight, and for good reason. For me though this scene feels more complex and beguiling. As a kid who has sat through a few parents' nasty fights like this (and they didn't end up in divorce), it provides a certain gratifying feeling. Conflicts and fights are triggered easy, but compromise comes harder and requires real effort. That last scene resonates deeply with me for this reason.

Drug War: The shoot-out. Hand down the best action scene of 2013 for me.

Frances Ha: The eye contact at the end (that was referenced earlier in the film). A sublime, magical moment that almost made me shed a tear.

The Act of Killing
: When a relative of a victim meets up and acts out the "killing" with the perpetrators. Powerful moment, and I shuddered while watching it.

Sparrows Dance
: The dance. This refreshing 2013 romance is charming in the same vein as Before Sunrise for me (although the story is very different), and this is its equivalent "music booth" moment. Utterly romantic.

About Time
: "How Long Will I Love You" song montage. Richard Curtis' brand of unabashedly corny romance appeals to me, and this scene exemplify the highs his films usually provide.

Stoker: Orgasmic piano duet.

With that last note, that's enough now for me. What are yours?

Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:33 am
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Best Scenes of 2013
The lemon lude drug sequence in "The Wolf of Wall Street" was amazing. Hysterical and wrong.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:50 am
Director

wisey wrote:
The lemon lude drug sequence in "The Wolf of Wall Street" was amazing. Hysterical and wrong.

One of the funniest moments of 2013 for sure.

On the other side of the coin, there are movies I am ambivalent or not that big about, but that still have one or two very memorable scenes.

Passion - Split screen ballet/murder and the ending.

The Bling Ring - A long take shot of a glass house while there's burglary going on.

Man of Steel

Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:28 am
Cinematographer

I don't have much to choose from in my limited viewings. I thought the transition scene to Oz was pretty incredible in Oz the Great and Powerful.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:40 am
Director

Off the top of my head:

"Inside Llewyn Davis" - Llewyn's blow-up at Mrs. Gorfein after she asked him to play something at the dinner party.

"The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" - Bilbo and Smaug's back-and-forth.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:53 am
Cinematographer

Her - The orgasm scene, followed by the cut to black, then the camera panning over the city. It's intimacy visualized and it's perfect. The best scene in a movie in many years.

The Wolf of Wall Street (copied from a post in the movie's thread) - Belfort addressing his employees and giving a prepared speech about stepping down. For one, he talks about 5 years like it’s an eternity, as if he’s some established institution in the world of finance. Dicaprio starts by informing the employees that he’ll be stepping down, summing up everything he’s “built”, and then launches into an anecdote about how he helped a down on her luck female employee turn her life around. Mid-speech you can literally feel his mind start changing and you know where it’s going to end. He’s convincing himself of his own bullshit, and very likely actually believes it in some twisted way. He knows full well the jig is up, and even then he still can’t manage to stop pushing everything to the non-existent limit. Something like 99% of people would have the mental pathology to realize they should save their own skin when given the chance, but those people would never be capable of doing the things Belfort does to get to that point in the first place. The whole thing is unbelievably perverse. The whole movie is about him selling what amounts to nothing, and he even manages to sell himself here.

The Place Beyond the Pines - the opening lengthy take of Gosling walking, getting on a motorcycle, and entering a cage with 3 other riders who all go round and round the cage. It's an apt metaphor for what the movie explores for the next 2.5 hours - asking if it's possible for men to break this cycle they're trapped in. Contrasted with the wide open final shot of the film, the answer is a thing of hopeful beauty.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:49 pm
Director

Fruitvale Station: The final scene-- "Where's Daddy?" A perfect ending; in her position, how would you respond?

12 Years a Slave: Everyone mentions this, but that scene where Solomon hangs from the tree with his toes barely touching the ground. Passers by roam in and out of the scene without even glancing at him lest they suffer the consequences. It's one hell of a master shot from McQueen.

Blue is the Warmest Color: The sex scenes, right? Wrong. Try the two emotionally powerful scenes later in the movie, one where Emma confronts Adele and another where they meet for a reconciliation of sorts at a restaurant.

and a bonus pick that I imagine no one else will list......

Kick-Ass 2: Mother Russia brutally takes out several police cars (and officers). Normally this scene wouldn't be memorable, but the juiced-up Tetris theme on the soundtrack really sends it home.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:45 pm
Auteur

Spring Breakers- "spring break forever", nuff said.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:44 pm
Second Unit Director

Man of Steel- That first flight scene was absolutely incredible.

Spring Breakers- Alien's monologue about his shit and when he serenades the girls on the piano.

Gravity- Bullock barking. It could have been cheesy, but I thought it was the most emotionally affecting moment of the whole film.

Captain Phillips- Those final few minutes of incredible Tom Hanks acting.

Before Midnight- Much like the first two films, the last few moments of this installment in Jesse and Celine's story are the best.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

Fast And Furious 6: Both the tank and plane scenes are some of the best action sequences i've ever seen in a film.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:08 pm
Producer

Pete

Quote:
The Wolf of Wall Street (copied from a post in the movie's thread) - Belfort addressing his employees and giving a prepared speech about stepping down. For one, he talks about 5 years like it’s an eternity, as if he’s some established institution in the world of finance. Dicaprio starts by informing the employees that he’ll be stepping down, summing up everything he’s “built”, and then launches into an anecdote about how he helped a down on her luck female employee turn her life around. Mid-speech you can literally feel his mind start changing and you know where it’s going to end. He’s convincing himself of his own bullshit, and very likely actually believes it in some twisted way. He knows full well the jig is up, and even then he still can’t manage to stop pushing everything to the non-existent limit. Something like 99% of people would have the mental pathology to realize they should save their own skin when given the chance, but those people would never be capable of doing the things Belfort does to get to that point in the first place. The whole thing is unbelievably perverse. The whole movie is about him selling what amounts to nothing, and he even manages to sell himself here.

Bang on. Well put.

Perverse, but hilarious in equal measure. It was a bunch of criminals getting all teary eyed and holier than thou

Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:09 pm
Second Unit Director

The Wolf of Wall Street

As far as thematic implications: The two big speeches are incredible, and let the viewer know exactly how this man achieved what he did.

Comedy: The qualudes and country club scene. I laughed until I cried and my stomach hurt.

That good ole' special feeling : When Margot Robbie walks out of her room with nothing on but stockings and high heels...Jesus Christ Leo is one lucky bro.

Pure Bauceness: When Belfort tells the two FBI guys to get the fuck off his yacht. He says something like, "While you two are riding the subway home, I'm about to have these girls lick peanut butter off my nuts." Then he just throws $100 bills at them like it's nothing and calls them "fun coupons."

Gravity

The opening tracking shot, as well as the scene when they make it to the ISS, but get hit by the debris again. I could hardly stay in my seat.

Mud

After the boy yells at him for lying to him, then he falls in the snake pit: Mud drops everything and saves the boy, not caring what happens to himself. The whole sequence is incredibly intense.

Inside Llewyn Davis

Him playing a very personal rendition of Fare thee well , then being followed up by Bob Dylan. That scene is heart breaking after the week Llewyn just had.

Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:59 pm
Director

Quote:
Man of Steel- That first flight scene was absolutely incredible.

Yes. Also the smallville battle, the final fight with Zod, and my favorite moment of the film is when Superman crashes into his ship and says "Krypton had its chance." An exemplary combination of high drama and spectacle. Also one of the great continuous shots of the year, the explanation of Krypton's history with Jor El in the ship. One of the most creative, fluid uses of CGI that I've seen.

Quote:
12 Years a Slave: Everyone mentions this, but that scene where Solomon hangs from the tree with his toes barely touching the ground. Passers by roam in and out of the scene without even glancing at him lest they suffer the consequences. It's one hell of a master shot from McQueen.

That's not a master shot in terms of the final cut of the movie. Master shot is one shot for the entire scene.

Pawn Shop

The scene where Matt Dillon discovers his wife's picture at the top of Elijah Wood's fridge and he tries to hold back the tears. That tugged my emotions more than any other scene last year. And everything that transpired after that in Dillon's story was a severe punch to the gut.

Bullet to the Head

Tied with Man of Steel for the best raw showdown of the year. The clink of the axes really rings in the ears.

Prisoners

The black girl's flashback in the hospital to her own escape was the most chilling moment for me.

American Hustle

Pretty much any time the 70s soundtrack piped in. Except maybe for Live and Let Die.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:50 am
Director

Oh snap! I almost forgot....

Trance: Like you need me to tell you which scene. Wolf of Wall Street may be the better movie, but this one offers the better example of....
[Reveal] Spoiler:
shaved vagina's

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:12 pm
Producer

KWRoss wrote:

Trance: Like you need me to tell you which scene. Wolf of Wall Street may be the better movie, but this one offers the better example of....
[Reveal] Spoiler:
shaved vagina's

I find this to be the closest thing to objective film criticism that has ever happened.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:18 pm
Auteur

A Good Day To Die Hard: John McClane and his son versus a helicopter.

Pain And Gain-Wahlberg's character trying to return a chainsaw to a store after attempting to dismember a corpse with it. Also Dwayne Johnson's character grilling body parts outside and cheerfully waving.

Snitch-The car chase at the end

Two Guns-The final shoot-out

Machete Kills-Death by motorboat

Homefront-Any scene with Statham kicking ass(particularly the gas station scene)

Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:23 pm
Second Unit Director

The Lone Ranger - Train scene

Ender's Game - All of the battle room scenes

Saving Mr. Banks - Let's Fly a Kite

Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:30 pm
Director

Almost forgot -

The Grandmaster: train fight...or any scene with Ziyi Zhang.

The World's End: Pegg's battle with the twins was my favorite from this one.

Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:57 pm
Auteur

RED 2-All the scenes with Lee

Escape Plan-Arnie ripping a machine gun off a cohpper and mowing down dozens of bad guys, plus the wohle prison escape is pretty epic.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:40 am
Director

Ken wrote:
KWRoss wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
shaved vagina's

I find this to be the closest thing to objective film criticism that has ever happened.

Damn right it is! No man can deny it.

Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:04 pm