Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:34 am

Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead in his apartment 
Auteur

Post Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead in his apartment
peng wrote:
So what he have left to film in the remaining 7 days for Mockingjay Part 2 seems to be just one scene, albeit reportedly a crucial, emotional one with Lawrence. That makes me think..

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Katniss confronting him for his part in the bombing?

And now there's rumor going around that they might digitally recreate Hoffman for that scene. :?

Oh that's no rumor, it's been confirmed, and i'm perfectly fine with that.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:03 am
Producer

Matt Zoller Seitz puts heroin addiction in perspective. Very good piece.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:15 am
Producer

I understand that heroin addiction is a demon almost impossible to beat. My problem is that nobody's born a heroin addict, even if their genes make them prone to addiction. There has to be a first time that someone makes the decision to try the drug, because they could also have made the decision to never try it once in their life; and they didn't. And that I think can still be criticized. At some point in their life, they made a bad, stupid decision.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:09 am
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:
I understand that heroin addiction is a demon almost impossible to beat. My problem is that nobody's born a heroin addict, even if their genes make them prone to addiction. There has to be a first time that someone makes the decision to try the drug, because they could also have made the decision to never try it once in their life; and they didn't. And that I think can still be criticized. At some point in their life, they made a bad, stupid decision.

Indeed. And since I have never taken a drink, nor smoked a cigarette, nor consumed a drug, it would be easy (and morally consistent) for me to be critical about this.

But then came your statement -- "At some point in their life, they made a bad, stupid decision." You'd have to be some kind of a Puritan to use that one as the crux of an argument. Everyone has made a stupid, bad decision at some point in their lives. Mine happened to be one that didn't involve heroin. PSH's one did involve heroin. Bad luck, Phil.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:25 am
Producer

Quote:
You'd have to be some kind of a Puritan to use that one as the crux of an argument. Everyone has made a stupid, bad decision at some point in their lives.

And you'd have to be quite a cynic to use this statement as the crux of yours.

Quote:
Mine happened to be one that didn't involve heroin. PSH's one did involve heroin. Bad luck, Phil.

Not all bad decisions are created equal. A friend of a friend of mine jumped off a 20-foot bridge when he was 17. Rest of his life in a wheelchair. One of my highschool classmates accidentally killed himself a couple weeks before graduation because he wasn't being careful enough with a gun. So plenty of decisions are a lot worse than Hoffman's too. But are you really implying that starting a heroin addiction is "bad luck"?

Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:45 am
Cinematographer

I like Seitz's blog for the most part. Unfortunately, as objective and sincere as psychological observation tries to be, it is still rooted in observation and not in completely reproducible facts. While the tragedy of addiction is reproduced over and over again, there are many instances of overcoming. We do have the ability to learn from the mistakes of others, and that ability is lost if the mistakes of others are ignored or excused. There can be understanding without excuses. Merely to discuss the limitations of a man is not the same as trying to bury the man in shame. The message about heroin addiction should be that it is very bad, it is avoidable, and if it is not, it can be overcome. Everyone makes mistakes, but that does not mean the mistake should be accepted on that basis alone. Acknowledged and understood with empathy, forgiven, but not accepted.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:45 am
Critic

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:
You'd have to be some kind of a Puritan to use that one as the crux of an argument. Everyone has made a stupid, bad decision at some point in their lives.

And you'd have to be quite a cynic to use this statement as the crux of yours.

Quote:
Mine happened to be one that didn't involve heroin. PSH's one did involve heroin. Bad luck, Phil.

Not all bad decisions are created equal. A friend of a friend of mine jumped off a 20-foot bridge when he was 17. Rest of his life in a wheelchair. One of my highschool classmates accidentally killed himself a couple weeks before graduation because he wasn't being careful enough with a gun. So plenty of decisions are a lot worse than Hoffman's too. But are you really implying that starting a heroin addiction is "bad luck"?

You think it's cynical to say that everyone has made a bad decision in their lives? Jimminy jillickers, man, I think that's among the least cynical things I've said on this forum. We're all human, we've all erred. Hell that's comforting, not cynical.

And I'm not saying that heroin addiction is bad luck. Well, not quite. My point is this. Everyone does something stupid at some point in their lives. Some people's stupid stuff doesn't end up having consequences. Some people's does. I played with fire and aerosol cans. PSH did heroin. His could easily never have killed him. Mine could have killed me (or at least left negative consequences). Some people jump off 20 foot bridges and are fine. Some people end up in a wheelchair.

So much of life is just luck.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:22 pm
Second Unit Director

Two scenes come to mind out of his countless memorable performances. The first scene in Doubt, when Streep initially confronts him. It's ten minutes of incredible "tug of war" acting, which pushes Streep to the peak of powers. I think I've watched this scene about twenty times; it's a fucking mesmerizing display of acting. Here's the second part of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THnPmxXDUkI

The second is the act of affection when he and Phoenix embrace in The Master and roll to the ground. It plays out so naturally, surely it can't be scripted?

This tragedy sucks big time, let's hope they prosecute the drug dealers to bring justice to the world. :roll:

Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:32 am