Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:45 am

Which is the bigger issue? 
Producer

Post Re: Which is the bigger issue?
PeachyPete wrote:
Mark III wrote:
I've come to think that there aren't really any inherent evils in any mode of storytelling so long as someone is actually bothering to tell a story. Movies free of pesky plot are not necessarily story-free. We all know this, it's something we've chatted about over coffee and doughnuts.

I think that's where I take issue with the thread. I'm not sure I understand what the question "which is the bigger issue" means. The bigger issue of what? Being a shitty movie? Shit is shit, whether it's because it goes too far one way or the other. I'm not sure it matters which one is shittier, or if that can even be decided.

There's different flavors of shit.

It's hardly news that Total Recall (the remake) is shit. But there's habit of praising films like Shame, We need to talk about Kevin, Precious (to borrow from last week). Arty and/or pseudo-realistic tosh. It may seem a stretch to link say Shame with Precious, but I put them under the same umbrella of arty misery for liberal audiences. Precious being more "real", but with the added bonus of hipster pop stars in carer roles to rebalance the scales

For me, the latter is becoming just as annoying as your average by-numbers, mindless thriller or horror

Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:35 am
Director

Quote:
Smarter, better men than myself could justify why that movie was 160 minutes

Don't worry, they couldn't. There is no reason.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:21 am
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:

It's hardly news that Total Recall (the remake) is shit. But there's habit of praising films like Shame, We need to talk about Kevin, Precious (to borrow from last week). Arty and/or pseudo-realistic tosh. It may seem a stretch to link say Shame with Precious, but I put them under the same umbrella of arty misery for liberal audiences. Precious being more "real", but with the added bonus of hipster pop stars in carer roles to rebalance the scales

For me, the latter is becoming just as annoying as your average by-numbers, mindless thriller or horror

I'm with you, to a point. I hated those movies as well, and, even if I didn't, would completely understand and agree with your larger point. I'm just not sure I agree that there are different flavors of shit. Why is a pretentious art film more annoying than something generic or mindless?

I'm playing devil's advocate more than a little here, for the record. My gut tells me that empty, hollow films passed off as supposedly important are, indeed, more annoying than a generic thriller, but I guess I'm trying to figure out why that is the case. I know why they're annoying (they're phony and people buy into that phoniness), but why is that worse?

Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:55 pm
Director

Granted, films like "Shame" are really only targeted for a very specific audience. As someone who's generally drawn to films about social outsiders, I ate it up.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:12 pm
Producer

PeachyPete wrote:
NotHughGrant wrote:

I'm with you, to a point. I hated those movies as well, and, even if I didn't, would completely understand and agree with your larger point. I'm just not sure I agree that there are different flavors of shit. Why is a pretentious art film more annoying than something generic or mindless?

I'm playing devil's advocate more than a little here, for the record. My gut tells me that empty, hollow films passed off as supposedly important are, indeed, more annoying than a generic thriller, but I guess I'm trying to figure out why that is the case. I know why they're annoying (they're phony and people buy into that phoniness), but why is that worse?

2 reasons for me

1. Mindless, bullshit thrillers or horrors can still entertain on a superficial level. Something art flavoured shit rarely (if ever) does.

2. Shit shit rarely troubled award ceremonies, whilst art shit has self congratulatory vibe

Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:02 am