Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:34 pm

What would you like to see in your lifetime? 
Post What would you like to see in your lifetime?
Name some semi-realistic achievements you'd like to see before you're dead.....

1.)The practical end of gas powered vehicles(highly possible)

2.)Flying cars(Somewhat possible)

3.)Mars Landing by man(Somewhat possible)

4.)Release of a movie event which will leave its mark for decades(possible,18/12/09-james cameron's AVATAR)

5.)Seeing the race of the future* - (Very unlikely)

6.)Extra terrestrial contact-(I believe it will happen but rationally speaking Highly improbable)

7.)Cure for AIDS(Depends)

*race of the future-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_of_the_Future

Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:03 am
Post Re: What would you like to see in your lifetime?
I'll be dead before most on this forum ... so not much hope for me

so...

I am doing my bit for 1 by buying a Toyota Prius the week after watching An Inconvenient Truth 3 years ago

I'm a Buddhist and I'll go with something simple - happiness

I hope we meet extra terrestrials, but believe that they don't need to meet us.

I hope we cure AIDS

I hope a film comes along that usurps Kane - but it won't be Avatar

I hope we all make the right choices

Rob

Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:43 am
Hey Rob,
You are a great chap and know what?
Ill like to meet you someday and maybe watch some of the sci-fi marathon at your place with the kids!
I am not a buddhist but have a friend who is one and one of the most calm,peaceful people I have ever known,I think buddhism actually advocates everthing that is the opposite in today's philosophies-A minimalist lifestyle and I try my best to adapt to one.
When I visit his house I feel peaceful and overwhelmed...I mean he has an apartment and an amazing bed,an LCD and a playstation 3(for bluray)
He is crazy about movies so all his tech needs are usually related to them.Doesnt even own a cell phone and boy does he have the most spacious,amazing bedroom..and its not decorated or filled with gadgets and stuff-EMPTY!
Its my dream home and I will have one just like his-minimalist living .

Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:28 am
The only semi-realistic that I can think of offhand is a US healthcare restructuring at root level. Something akin to Canada's system, perhaps...pros and cons to everything, but the point is our system is farked up/ridiculous and has to radically change, and soon. The little band-aids the politicians keep trying to stick on while trying not to P.O. big profit business aren't enough.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:11 am
technologically, i really don't care. maybe holograms, so we can have a true 3d experience.
actual believable ones.

either that or johnny quest realized. i dont know why but ive never seen the matrix compared to it. completely lifted, especially if you've seen all episodes.

big things - im not an improvement guy. what happens, shall happen. i only desire to witness it.

you know what they say. all the world's a stage. and men, merely players. some are backstage. some in the audience. some, critics.
im the guy in the back alley, trying to get rid of a headache. :lol:

i love saying that. even though its complete BS. i just love saying that.

anyway, lets get serious. the true thing is - ive never seen a land untouched. a virgin snow. ive never been to a place, a place where there was no building on the horizon. no power lines, no farms, no offices. where man had not left his marks.
before my time i want to see that. just the grass blowing in a good north wind with a smell of life in the air and the sound of a far away river.
i guess that would also explain my love for the sea.
i haven't seen the sea.

To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying,
The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying.
West, west away, the round sun is falling.
For our days are ending and our years failing.
I will pass the wide waters lonely sailing.
Long are the waves on the Last Shore falling,
Sweet are the voices in the Lost Isle calling.

i love the sea. it may be complete BS, i dont know, yet. maybe im just a kid, looking for romance where is none.

To Rob- :) you're a cool cat man.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:31 am
Yeah aameen,
Its just the romantic aspect of the unknown thats fascinating to you.Once you actually expirience it you'll be like "hey that was it?"
Its the journey that matters,My father is in the merchant navy and I remember travelling and just being in awe of the ocean but that lasted a day or two and then I got sea-sick.
But I can totally understand what you mean....nature is something divine,out of this world and thats why Its my dream to go to Antarctica or at least greenland once(especially after watching the thing!) but I have to be realistic..Ill kill myself if I stay there for a month tryin to fall in love with the place but 2-3 days will be out of this world expirience

btw how old are you exactly(if u dont mind me askin)

Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:38 am
rishi85 wrote:
Yeah aameen,
Its just the romantic aspect of the unknown thats fascinating to you.Once you actually expirience it you'll be like "hey that was it?"
Its the journey that matters,My father is in the merchant navy and I remember travelling and just being in awe of the ocean but that lasted a day or two and then I got sea-sick.
But I can totally understand what you mean....nature is something divine,out of this world and thats why Its my dream to go to Antarctica or at least greenland once(especially after watching the thing!) but I have to be realistic..Ill kill myself if I stay there for a month tryin to fall in love with the place but 2-3 days will be out of this world expirience

btw how old are you exactly(if u dont mind me askin)

but you dont take into account one thing - my hatred for this species. and by hatred, i mean hatred. as a collective. sure, individuals i love, and i hope to love. but whenever we get together....hell, thats just something for another discussion. forget that.
also, i dont think i'll mind isolation. in fact i'd cherish it. i think im that kind of a guy.
There is pleasure in the pathless woods

:lol:

Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:51 am
Yeah I get your drift....Have you checked out the series Planet Earth(please buy it on Bluray if you can?)

You must be eagerly anticipating Earth right?

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:11 am
rishi85 wrote:
Yeah I get your drift....Have you checked out the series Planet Earth(please buy it on Bluray if you can?)

You must be eagerly anticipating Earth right?

nope. i had to look up what you were talking about. :)

sounds awesome. will "buy" it now. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS-if you're reading this, it was just a joke. please don't come after me.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:59 am
I hope I live to see us make contact with an intelligent alien species. And I don't mean intelligent like some kind of space-cow that ingests its own methane.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:52 pm
AIDS will definitely be cured in my lifetime, and probably Rob's. I think there's a quote by Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle regarding it that's kind of funny. I know the virus mutates and stuff, but it's still kind of ridiculous that we haven't been able to cure it yet.

I also hope we discover the truth about God. I'm not really a believer and lean more toward the argument of an intellectual consciousness, but who knows?

Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:00 pm
MsHarlaus wrote:
The only semi-realistic that I can think of offhand is a US healthcare restructuring at root level. Something akin to Canada's system, perhaps...pros and cons to everything, but the point is our system is farked up/ridiculous and has to radically change, and soon. The little band-aids the politicians keep trying to stick on while trying not to P.O. big profit business aren't enough.

Aim higher than Canada. I'd prefer not having to wait months to find out I have a brain tumor.

Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:31 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

1. Korean Unification :D
2. Movie prices lowered :geek:
3. United Artists come back from the grave. ;)
4. Amanda Knox innocence or guilt is proven somehow. :|
5. Tyler Perry kills off the madea character.
6. Flying cars.
7. Build a space colony of the moon.
8. Build a warp engine.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:27 pm
Director

I would like to see the Chicago Cubs win the World Series.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:40 pm

Sexual Chocolate wrote:
I would like to see the Chicago Cubs win the World Series.

I seriously doubt it. :ugeek:

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:05 pm
Auteur

Being able to watch any TV show in existence anytime I want.

A Holodeck for reasons that should be obvious.

Democracy and freedom in every country.

Robots that won't turn against their masters.

Being able to bring the dead back to life and procedues that allow one to live for hundreds of years.

Cures for all diseases.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:09 pm
Producer

Cool thread exhumation.

What I'd really love to see is the space elevator. Since that's kind of unlikely on the kind of timeline we're talking about, I'd at least like to see some of the main engineering obstacles get solved, the main thing being developing material strong and thin enough--most likely carbon fiber tubes, which we already have, but nowhere near in a way that we could use for such an application.

I'd also like to see a spaceguard program put into place. Our best efforts to survive, thrive, and advance our civilization are going to be pretty meaningless if we can still be wiped out just as easily as the dinosaurs were.

And permanent settlements in space, either in orbiting space stations or on the moon.

Basically, everything I want to see is taken from Arthur C. Clarke novels.

So yeah. Get on this stuff, America.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:33 pm
Second Unit Director

Pedro wrote:
AIDS will definitely be cured in my lifetime, and probably Rob's. I think there's a quote by Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle regarding it that's kind of funny. I know the virus mutates and stuff, but it's still kind of ridiculous that we haven't been able to cure it yet.

Depends on what you mean by "cured". We may develop a way to immunize against it, and we will almost certainly develop more effective treatments, but by strict definition, we have never been able to cure any viral disease AFAIK.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:00 am

I'd like to know about potential police and government cover ups in relation to high profile celebrities (Jimmy Saville, Ian Watkins (I guess not THAT high profile)

What happened to Madeline Mcann (I think the parents accidentally killed her and covered it up, but I'd like to know the truth)

That's about it. I don't want much.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:58 am
Producer

Nuclear fission providing an all but infinite source of energy

This happens and we've basically defeated nature.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:07 am