Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:17 pm

The Lego Movie (2014) 
Auteur

Post Re: The Lego Movie (2014)
KWRoss wrote:
I gotta say, a couple of friends and I thought this looked like a horrible idea from the first trailer, but I can't ignore 99% on RT through 72 reviews. That's just the rarest of occurences, not even Oscar-winners garner this. I like to think that since critics see hundreds of movies every year, they generally know what they're talking about.

Audiences tastes don't always align with critics though, most critics enjoyed Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, but most audiences seem to absolutely hate it.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:54 pm
Director

I just found out it comes to theater here on March 13. Meanwhile, we uselessly got Paranormal Activity: The Marked One on the same date as the US. Ugh. Still not as bad as delaying Pixar films a few months so they can have a family film for every 12 of August (our Mother Day) though.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:32 pm
Assistant Director

9/10 on imdb at the moment too from over 700 users. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1490017/
Metascore at 82. For better or worse it's getting a lot of love from all - looks similar to Toy Story to me.
I like the little details, e.g. in the screencap below: that broken helmet is exactly how all my space lego action figures looked!

Attachments:
Lego.JPG
Lego.JPG [ 43.67 KiB | Viewed 582 times ]
Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:56 am
Producer

Gotta say, I'm a bit taken back by how great the reviews have been. It's not just getting good reviews, I've actually heard some people compare it to Toy Story. And since Toy Story is one of my favorite animated films of all time, that definitely makes me take notice. I went from having next to no expectations, to being hopeful that it's not only good but maybe even great! :o

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:54 am
Auteur

All those comparisons only increase my doubt towards the film, it dosen't look like it's anywhere near as good as Toy Story, and I feel more then a little annoyed that critics are comparing this to a Pixar film. This movie looks like it was made for no reason other then to sell tons of LEGO sets to kids.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:31 am
Director

The reviews are pretty over the top. Even Armond White loved it.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:35 am
Producer

The Lego Movie sounds like a marketing committee-led nightmare.

Actually, the synopsis looks more interesting than I thought

Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:06 am
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
All those comparisons only increase my doubt towards the film, it dosen't look like it's anywhere near as good as Toy Story, and I feel more then a little annoyed that critics are comparing this to a Pixar film. This movie looks like it was made for no reason other then to sell tons of LEGO sets to kids.

How would you know any of that unless...you...ummm....cough....watched it?

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:59 am
Cinematographer

I'm frankly mystified at the surprise surrounding the positive reviews. Granted, the response has been almost overwhelmingly positive, but that's at least somewhat common for good animated movies. As soon as I saw a trailer and realized the Lord/Miller duo was behind this, I assumed it would be well received.

Anyone calling the idea behind this movie, and only this movie, lazy is out of touch with how Hollywood works. It isn't like making a movie about legos is really much different than the countless other movies made based on children's toys, or children's tv shows, or anything else aimed at children (as Unke hilariously pointed out earlier). Really, what's lazy is the thinking behind calling this movie lazy. You're blatantly ignoring how often these kinds of things happen. At least this one looks like it's trying to be something more than just a lame cash grab.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:17 pm
Producer

Well, I would point out that there is a crucial difference between Legos and other toys/games, such as Battleship: Legos, by nature, encourage creativity.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:21 pm
Cinematographer

Agreed. If anything, that makes the idea of a film adaptation less lazy, don't you think? A handful of reviews I've skimmed have even made the point that the movie encourages people to think for themselves and be creative, which mirrors the purpose of legos. I hope that's true, and if so, strikes me as a pretty inventive way to promote the product.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:27 pm
Assistant Director

I was just never into LEGOs as a kid, and I'm not a fan of the other toys-to-movies conversions either (Transformers, GI Joe, Battleship, etc). That plus the February release date had my expectations for this movie at practically zero. For the record, I haven't actually read any of the reviews or even skimmed them. All I'm taking note of is the RT percentage and the average rating. This year, I'm making a conscious effort to not read any reviews before seeing a movie, not even JB's.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:53 pm
Second Unit Director

Vexer wrote:
Tranformers was a TV series first and a toyline second...

You got that backwards actually.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:23 pm
Assistant Director

PeachyPete wrote:
I'm frankly mystified at the surprise surrounding the positive reviews. Granted, the response has been almost overwhelmingly positive, but that's at least somewhat common for good animated movies. As soon as I saw a trailer and realized the Lord/Miller duo was behind this, I assumed it would be well received.

Anyone calling the idea behind this movie, and only this movie, lazy is out of touch with how Hollywood works. It isn't like making a movie about legos is really much different than the countless other movies made based on children's toys, or children's tv shows, or anything else aimed at children (as Unke hilariously pointed out earlier). Really, what's lazy is the thinking behind calling this movie lazy. You're blatantly ignoring how often these kinds of things happen. At least this one looks like it's trying to be something more than just a lame cash grab.

It looks creative, funny and completely like a cash-grab, too. But since when has cash-grabbing been a philosophy that stood apart from and against creativity? The idea that there's some unseen divide between a movie and inherent merchandiseability (that's not a real word) is absurd and, if anything, a lack of merchandiseability (still not a word) could imply the movie doesn't have idiosyncrasies enough. I don't really believe that last part, for the record. In fact I should go back and change that but I'm feeling lazy.

Of course, it could be argued that there is no blanker canvas than that of "Lego", an institution/product that always seemed to promise (long before the boredom of making a really, really long wall out of red and white bricks) unlimited options. Such horrible freedom... better make a long wall. But then, it's not like they made the movie out of plastic bricks. What's the difference, really, between a Ghostbusters III, a Godfather Part III, really obviously an Avatar Part II (and III) and a Lego Movie... dip into that shallow cultural memory, draw out the nostalgia, and start in on the script.

There's nothing any more unoriginal or lazy about this movie than virtually any other that gets released. Find me a movie that doesn't draw heavily from appreciated and beloved institutions and I'll show you a blank screen. On the other hand, maybe lazy isn't the worst threat we've got against us. I'll entertain the idea that slapping a new title on a generic script, casting some wrestler who would like to be an action star, could challenge us to find something beautiful. Who doesn't respect someone who finds something glorious in John Cena murdering a Chinese drug cartel?

You don't even have a choice to make! You can love and adore anything, even movies you take the trouble to see before condemning them as lazy.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:20 pm
Cinematographer

Mark III wrote:
There's nothing any more unoriginal or lazy about this movie than virtually any other that gets released. Find me a movie that doesn't draw heavily from appreciated and beloved institutions and I'll show you a blank screen.

Agreed with the whole post, but this is exactly what I was trying to get at. I probably shouldn't have stressed the "children" in my post. I just don't understand where the notion that this movie is where Hollywood jumped some non-existent shark comes from.

I can, however, understand KWRoss (and others) not having faith in the movie initially. Considering it's release date and the underwhelming nature of the movies he named, it makes sense. I honestly didn't know anything about it until I saw a trailer, and that, along with knowing the reputation of the directing team, made me think otherwise.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:41 pm
Director

White's review actually gets me excited for some subversive jeering here. EVERYTHING IS AWESOME?! Yeah, I'm down for that. The ultimate BS tagline of the current culture.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:10 pm
Cinematographer

Saw it last night and, man, it's pretty incredible. It's subversive, satirical, and hilarious and then the ending comes and it turns into something completely different that's deeply affecting. What made it so great was:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
the entire time I was watching the movie I kept thinking to myself, "this is really cool, this story is exactly how a kid would play with Legos." For the movie to actually turn into that, and make it a way for a father and son to bond and really, truly see each other, was all kinds of effective and wonderful.

It's a genuinely great film that put me on a high when I left the theater that I haven't come down from yet. Everything is awesome!

Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:49 pm
Assistant Director

Welp, join me in the chorus as well. Just got back from seeing it. This is far from just a run-of-the-mill cash-grab. There's a genuine reason for a story involving a world of LEGOs to unfold. I won't ruin said twist for those who have yet to see it, but it's arguably the movie's greatest masterstroke. And I laughed a lot at various lines and flourishes that kids won't have a prayer of understanding (example: Lord Business-- "I demand perfection! Bring in the micro-manager!").

Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:17 pm
Producer

Looks like James is going to review it after all. Kind of figured since the movie is getting such shockingly great reviews.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:12 pm
Cinematographer

It is highly kinetic and constantly amusing. LEGO Batman must get his own spinoff from this!

Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:33 pm