Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:05 pm

Is James going to review Robocop (2014)? 
Assistant Director

Post Re: Is James going to review Robocop (2014)?
I've already forgotten the Conan the Barbarian remake, even though I'm certain I have seen it, while I still remember the original vividly. Remakes are generally just a really bad idea imo. There is so much original content just waiting to be produced that there is no real excuse for a remake (except money of course, and I realise that Hollywood IS a business first and foremost), it just seems incredibly lazy to me.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:34 am
Producer

The problem with remakes is that they are often too similar to the original. But if they just took the same basic premise and did something completely different with it, then I wouldn't have a problem with remakes.

The Nightmare on Elm Street remake is a perfect example of this. When the movie virtually copies the original (most of the first half), it doesn't work. But when it deviates from the original, like it does in the third act, I actually enjoyed it.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:47 am
Auteur

nitrium wrote:
I've already forgotten the Conan the Barbarian remake, even though I'm certain I have seen it, while I still remember the original vividly. Remakes are generally just a really bad idea imo. There is so much original content just waiting to be produced that there is no real excuse for a remake (except money of course, and I realise that Hollywood IS a business first and foremost), it just seems incredibly lazy to me.

I strongly disagree, most remakes are pretty good for the most part, the only ones I truly hate are PG-13 remakes of R-rated horror films(I.E. Prom Night, April Fools Day, The Stepfather) and remakes of foreign horror films(I.E. Pulse, Shutter, The Grudge, The Ring, Let Me In), thankfully those types of remakes seem to have both died down in popularity.

I think there's plenty of excuse for a remake if it takes things in a different direction, like for example the Total Recall remake didn't have the trip to Mars but we got more background on some other stuff that we didn't get in the original film, so I thought that remake justified itself well enough(Ebert certainly liked it anyways). Also both The Thing and The Blob remake were far superior to the original films in every way.

Shot-for-shot remakes like The Omen I can't really justify because it does seem pretty pointless when it tells the exact same story only with different actors. Remakes don't seem nearly as lazy as when Hollywood makes movies based on things like the Smurfs and now LEGO(god help us all).

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:32 am