Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:23 am

Facebook= Babybook? 
Director

Post Facebook= Babybook?
I feel the need to start a topic here because of a trend in the Facebook realm I'm sure everyone is aware of: constant baby pictures. A good friend or an old acquaintance has his/her first child, and you're thrilled for them. But then it comes in droves. Constant, incessant, daily pictures of the child in every pose/activity known to man. And because so many of your friends are going through this, it isn't long before your Facebook feed is awash in baby pictures.

Am I the only one who feels just a little uncomfortable with all of this? I'm single, but if I ever got married had a child, I would limit the public baby pictures big-time. If someone asks, I'll show him/her one. Hell, when JB's son was born, he made one picture public and that was it. Sure, I'd take all the pictures I want, but I'd make a private photo album, not document every single fucking one of them to the world.

So what do you guys think? Is there a privacy issue here? Are people being too self-absorbed? Or am I just another dumb single guy who will just "never get it until [I] have a child?"

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:31 am
Producer

Post Re: Facebook= Babybook?
We live in an age in which we have the ability to document everything we find interesting with a camera that is conveniently located in our pocket at all times, which also has access to a worldwide information network. Parents have always found their own kids to be the most interesting thing going. Put two and two together and there it is.

I'm a crazy dog person, so my Facebook is full of pictures of my dog. I'm sure people roll their eyes when they see him.

It's not a good thing or a bad thing. It's just a thing.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:38 am
Second Unit Director

People post what is relevant or dominant in their lives at that time. If you see pioctures of babies and don't have any yourself, you're not at the same place in your life as they are. That won't change. The babies become toddlers, become preschoolers, become gradeschoolers......
Conversly, if you post pictures of things you enjoy doing, those with babies find them interesting because that isn't what they're doing. That part of their lives has been largley shed to welcome the new. (Myself, I have kids, but find baby pics pretty dull.)

-The worst offenders on my FB are those who post every single #$%ing inspirational-quotes-on-photos they can find. I'm happy they are inspired and all, but, damn, have an original thought or experience or take a picture of your own.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:48 am
Cinematographer

I knew there was a reason I don't have a Facebook account! Actually, my wife has been pissed at me for years because I won't agree to let her post pictures of our kids. (She could be doing it anyway and I wouldn't know, but I hope I've been helpful in sparing others from the kiddie pictures).

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:58 pm
Auteur

I never bother posting pics on Facebook period.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:30 pm
Cinematographer

Louis CK chimes in on the matter in typically hilarious fashion.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:52 pm
Second Unit Director

My Facebook is filled with me being fucked up, babes I have or want to smash, and movie quotes. If I see a baby, I delete that person.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:16 pm
Second Unit Director

Perhaps this graph may prove helpful.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:17 pm
Director

All right, glad I'm not the only one.

Ken-- I'm a dog guy as well, but I swear I see far more baby pictures per user than dog pictures.

Vex-- I've got a few pics of me here and there, but far, far fewer than my friends. That makes the new "Facebook movie" feature largely useless.

Roast-- My best friend's wife gave birth to their first child about two weeks ago. I'll never delete him because he's my boy for life, but maybe a few others deserve an "unfollow" for a while.

Pete-- That's awesome. I needed that laugh today.

Awf Hand-- Thank you for mentioning the inspirational quote overload. I know a few people who go absolutely apeshit with them, sharing at least half-a-dozen every day. I'm thinking, dude don't you ever need a vacation from it?

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:41 pm
Second Unit Director

This was the first thing I thought of in response to this topic. You're the man, Pete.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:41 pm
Producer

Taleswapper wrote:
Perhaps this graph may prove helpful.

I am so mad that this graph implies a linear measurement of interest and denies us from knowing the units.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:19 pm
Cinematographer

KWRoss wrote:
Awf Hand-- Thank you for mentioning the inspirational quote overload. I know a few people who go absolutely apeshit with them, sharing at least half-a-dozen every day. I'm thinking, dude don't you ever need a vacation from it?

I always think, how unhappy are you to have to post that many pick-me-ups a day? You can't make it through a 4 hour stretch, let alone an entire day, without having to remind people how inspired and uplifted you are. Maybe that makes me an asshole, but it just seems so phony.

Pedro wrote:

This was the first thing I thought of in response to this topic. You're the man, Pete.

I agree 100% with this entire post.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:29 pm
Assistant Director

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
My Facebook is filled with me being fucked up, babes I have or want to smash, and movie quotes. If I see a baby, I delete that person.

By that logic, every person who sees your Facebook page deletes you.

*coughs* *feels sad*

We don't do Facebook in our house -- after all the unfortunate business with the FBI -- but, when "we" did, it was impossible not to advertise our current excitement. It's really no different than the conversation that follows:

Person 1: I haven't seen The Godfather.
Person 2: WHAT?! My God, man! How is that?
Person 1: I know, I know.

The Facebook Baby Fiend is Person 2. How could others not possibly vicariously thrive on our experience?

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:59 pm
Second Unit Director

Worst offenders are the people whose profile pics are their kids. Drives me nuts. I'm OK with your kid(s) being in your profile pic (but it definitely seems a bit lame still), but when it's just your newborn's scrunched-up face... groan...

The absolute worst though was a friend who miscarried. That fucked her up big time which is understandable, but for months she'd post about her lost baby, and referred to it by name (yes she named it). Talk about a Facebook bummer. I eventually just scrolled right past her in my news feed. She's pregnant again, hopefully she doesn't lose this one.

That is one thing that Facebook crystallized for me that I may never have realized otherwise: how wrapped up people are in their children (and how badly some people want them). I knew it was important to parents, but somehow it's more apparent thanks to the phenomenon KWRoss mentioned.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:20 am