Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:49 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead in his apartment 
Producer

Post Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead in his apartment
You're using the junkie who holds people up in the street to form your outlook on addicts in general. That is a stereotype, and a particularly harmful one.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:29 pm
Second Unit Director

Really just incredibly shitty news. I, like so many others, was moved by Lester Bangs, astounded by Lancaster Dodd, and incredibly impressed with many other PSH performances. I watched Synecdoche, New York for the first time last night because I wanted to watch one of his movies I hadn't seen. It was doubly effective since it is a film about death and he had just died.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Ken wrote:
You're using the junkie who holds people up in the street to form your outlook on addicts in general. That is a stereotype, and a particularly harmful one.

Stereotypes exist for a reason, but I was in fact using that as just an example. Drug junkies in general are harmful to society, so I don't see an issue with bringing up a negative example of what one will do to finance his habit.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:45 pm
Second Unit Director

I love to drink, snort lines, pop: percocet, lortabs, xanybars, and ambien. The thing is, I don't feel a need to, I just really like to do it. It's awesome and really fun to do. I can't stand cigs or smoking pot though. Besides drinking during the week (not pounding, but just a couple of beers or cocktails), I only do the fun stuff on trips, special occasions, and rage weekends.

I'm not gonna judge PSH, I'm just sorry I won't be seeing him anymore.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:39 pm
Critic

roastbeef_ajus wrote:
I love to drink, snort lines, pop: percocet, lortabs, xanybars, and ambien. The thing is, I don't feel a need to, I just really like to do it. It's awesome and really fun to do. I can't stand cigs or smoking pot though. Besides drinking during the week (not pounding, but just a couple of beers or cocktails), I only do the fun stuff on trips, special occasions, and rage weekends.

We lead different lives.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:51 pm
Cinematographer

"My original take on this scene was a loud, late night pronouncement from Lester Bangs. A call to arms. In Phil’s hands it became something different. A scene about quiet truths shared between two guys, both at the crossroads, both hurting, and both up too late. It became the soul of the movie. In between takes, Hoffman spoke to no one. He listened only to his headset, only to the words of Lester himself. (His Walkman was filled with rare Lester interviews.) When the scene was over, I realized that Hoffman had pulled off a magic trick. He’d leapt over the words and the script, and gone hunting for the soul and compassion of the private Lester, the one only a few of us had ever met. Suddenly the portrait was complete. The crew and I will always be grateful for that front row seat to his genius." - Cameron Crowe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzY2pWrXB_0

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

I've been going back and forth with a very long post, but I decided not to. I'd just say that people always come up with simple solutions and superficial perspectives to a very complex issue. One that, as evidenced these days, can affect anyone. It's easy to say "anyone can quit" from the outside, but it's completely different to be in there, not really knowing what to do or if there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:49 pm
Profile WWW
Second Unit Director

Thief12 wrote:
I've been going back and forth with a very long post, but I decided not to. I'd just say that people always come up with simple solutions and superficial perspectives to a very complex issue. One that, as evidenced these days, can affect anyone. It's easy to say "anyone can quit" from the outside, but it's completely different to be in there, not really knowing what to do or if there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Spot on! When I read the cause of his death, I was afraid that this thread would inevitably spiral downwards in this direction.

It irritates me how people take interest in a celebrity's personal life all of a sudden. Yesterday most people in this thread would not have given a second thought to how Philip Seymour Hoffman spent his day; with a needle stuck in his arm or playing with his children or shooting for his new film. Now everyone is saying he could've quit earlier if he wanted to and other seemingly nonsensical things as if they knew what he was going through. It is frankly ridiculous.

We only knew him through his art. In that realm, he was a bonafide genius who made acting look effortless. That is how I am going to remember him because that is the only Philip Seymour Hoffman I knew.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:44 am
Profile WWW
Auteur

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

Spot on! When I read the cause of his death, I was afraid that this thread would inevitably spiral downwards in this direction.

It irritates me how people take interest in a celebrity's personal life all of a sudden. Yesterday most people in this thread would not have given a second thought to how Philip Seymour Hoffman spent his day; with a needle stuck in his arm or playing with his children or shooting for his new film. Now everyone is saying he could've quit earlier if he wanted to and other seemingly nonsensical things as if they knew what he was going through. It is frankly ridiculous.

We only knew him through his art. In that realm, he was a bonafide genius who made acting look effortless. That is how I am going to remember him because that is the only Philip Seymour Hoffman I knew.

I had honestly never heard of his addiction problems until now.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:45 am
Second Unit Director

Mashable has a great collection of some of the best Hoffman clips.

21 Clips to Relive Philip Seymour Hoffman's Acting Career

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:35 am
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

It is unfortunate that much of the focus is upon the weakness and not the strengths when a celebrity dies under such circumstances.

Most likely this will diminish over time and he will be remembered for his works. Every day I drive by the house where Elvis was dragged out of under similar circumstances thirty something years ago and see adoring fans paying respects and waiting in line to tour the house. No one talks about his weaknesses much anymore, only about the good qualities that personally affected them. The negative stayed around for a few years, but the legend will be around much longer than any of us.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:37 am
Cinematographer

Thief12 wrote:

The amount that can be read into a single comment these days can be enormous with certain kinds of people.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:33 pm
Assistant Director

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Thief12 wrote:

The amount that can be read into a single comment these days can be enormous with certain kinds of people.

Why is that?

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
Director

CasualDad wrote:
It is unfortunate that much of the focus is upon the weakness and not the strengths when a celebrity dies under such circumstances.

Most likely this will diminish over time and he will be remembered for his works. Every day I drive by the house where Elvis was dragged out of under similar circumstances thirty something years ago and see adoring fans paying respects and waiting in line to tour the house. No one talks about his weaknesses much anymore, only about the good qualities that personally affected them. The negative stayed around for a few years, but the legend will be around much longer than any of us.

Granted, Elvis had become nearly irrelevant and a parody of himself the last 8-10 years of his life; Hoffman's career was still very much alive and well. But, yes, fame has shown to be the one true path to immortality (albeit a totally figurative one).

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:57 pm
Second Unit Director

Balaji Sivaraman wrote:

This.

And I am still not ready for a world without Phillip Seymour Hoffman. :(

Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:24 am
Assistant Director

Incredibly sad news, as it always is. Hoffman had an exceptional range and this was showcased, in some kind of purity, by his performance in Magnolia playing a part that Paul Thomas Anderson wrote very specifically for him; the role was intended to be a reflection of the real Philip Seymour Hoffman. Sort of beautiful.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:10 pm
Producer

Tragic as it is, hopefully PSH's death will make people more receptive to an open dialogue about addiction. Breaking The Set has some sobering stats and bold ideas for solutions. I'm ready for society to stop sweeping this shit under the rug and start taking it seriously.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Director

So what he have left to film in the remaining 7 days for Mockingjay Part 2 seems to be just one scene, albeit reportedly a crucial, emotional one with Lawrence. That makes me think..

[Reveal] Spoiler:
Katniss confronting him for his part in the bombing?

And now there's rumor going around that they might digitally recreate Hoffman for that scene. :?

Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:18 pm
Director

Ken wrote:
Tragic as it is, hopefully PSH's death will make people more receptive to an open dialogue about addiction. Breaking The Set has some sobering stats and bold ideas for solutions. I'm ready for society to stop sweeping this shit under the rug and start taking it seriously.

Alas, the vast majority of humanity will always take that route when it comes to downer subjects, and they've been doing it since the dawn of time (starting with inventing a story about an afterlife to cope with our mortality). :|

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:15 pm
Director

Ken wrote:

Second.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:20 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next