Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:44 pm

Is James going to review Robocop (2014)? 
Second Unit Director

Post Is James going to review Robocop (2014)?
I'm curious to his take on it since he reviewed the 1987 version.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:52 pm
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Is James going to review Robocop (2014)?
If he does it'll be with great reluctance and possible anger judging from his Twitter:

Quote:
One weekend, three '80s remakes. Feb 14: ROBOCOP, ABOUT LAST NIGHT, ENDLESS LOVE. Creative bankruptcy.

Quote:
ROBOCOP & ENDLESS LOVE PG-13?? At least ABOUT LAST NIGHT keeps its R rating.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:55 pm
Auteur

Probably, it's very likely that the newspaper he works for will want a review of that film.

Really excited for Robocop myself.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:55 pm
Second Unit Director

I see James updated his review roster with Robocop (2014). Question asked, question answered.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:27 pm
Director

no Lego Movie?

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:44 pm
Second Unit Director

calvero wrote:
no Lego Movie?

He would certainly have to set aside a block of time for that.

See what I did there? ;)

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:03 pm
Producer

No. I read your comment again and again, but maybe it just fits together in a way that I don't get.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:05 pm
Director

JB told me via email that he won't review THE LEGO MOVIE, although he'll see it with his son in a few weeks when crowds die down. Yup, it'll be Michael's first theatrical movie. Etch that one into the record books.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:31 pm
Director

I imagine if The Lego Movie turned out to be a 3.5 film for him, he might still review it? Seems likely, the way the reviews are stacking up..

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:18 pm
Cinematographer

I'm afraid I'll need to block off some time for the Lego movie soon. My chip-off-the-old-block and his sister are waiting with great anxiety for the release.

Don't think I'll be seeing Robocop unless the reviews here demand it. I'm fairly certain it will be a decent production, but I'm satisfied with the original. So far the only remakes where I've seen the earlier version are:

Psycho (1998) - hated the frame by frame duplication.
Clash of the Titans (2010) - about the same level as the original, but not nearly as fun.
True Grit (2010) - Very good, but I still find the original more entertaining and captivating.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) - Very good, but the first felt more natural.

I honestly think that I would appreciate each of these a bit more if I hadn't seen the earlier version, but knowing and comparing takes something away that I can't really explain. I think I'm through with remakes if I know the earlier version.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:40 pm
Auteur

I generally like most remakes, and sometimes I feel they do improve on the originals, like with Oldboy, I find Spike Lee's version to be far superior to the original.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:51 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

We know.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:00 am
Auteur

AJR wrote:
We know.

:?

Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:26 am
Second Unit Director

Just watched '87 Robocop. Made me want to find an old Taurus and paint it flat black. The OCP logo shouldn't be tough to duplicate.

Similar project was Total Recall and while it wasn't total crap, it was totally forgettable. I'm curious to see where they go with this movie, but only because I like the character.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:35 am
Director

patrick wrote:

Quote:
One weekend, three '80s remakes. Feb 14: ROBOCOP, ABOUT LAST NIGHT, ENDLESS LOVE. Creative bankruptcy.

Quote:
ROBOCOP & ENDLESS LOVE PG-13?? At least ABOUT LAST NIGHT keeps its R rating.

Of those remakes the Robocop one makes sense from a marketing standpoint. Sure the final result will likely be dreadful and lack the commentary and satire of Verhoeven's film. But at least Robocop is well-known enough to drawn in an audience. About Last Night might get a small audience as the original is well-respcted by a certain segment of the public and is based on a David Mamet play. Endless Love though is a total head scratcher. The original movie has more or less been forgotten by pretty much everyone. The theme song by Lionel Richie and Diana Ross has had more staying power than the movie.

Cinema is a matter of what's in the frame and what's out-Martin Scorsese.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1347771599

Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:07 pm
Director

Worth reading, explains well why the new Robocop will likely suck:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2014/feb/06/robocop-remake-total-recall-stormship-troopers-paul-verhoeven

EDIT: I can't help but again note how damn good of a director Paul Verhoeven is. Robocop, Total Recall, and yes, Starship Troopers were so much better than they had any right to be. He mixed cultural commentary, violence and satire so well. I wish we had an action director as good as he was working today.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:35 pm
Auteur

I think this film will still retain some of the original's satire and commentary and turn out pretty well, at the very least i'm sure audiences and critics will respond better to it then they did to Robocop 3.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:02 am
Producer

Awf Hand wrote:
Just watched '87 Robocop. Made me want to find an old Taurus and paint it flat black. The OCP logo shouldn't be tough to duplicate.

Similar project was Total Recall and while it wasn't total crap, it was totally forgettable. I'm curious to see where they go with this movie, but only because I like the character.

I disagree. It WAS total crap IMO.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:28 am
Producer

CasualDad wrote:
I'm afraid I'll need to block off some time for the Lego movie soon. My chip-off-the-old-block and his sister are waiting with great anxiety for the release.

Don't think I'll be seeing Robocop unless the reviews here demand it. I'm fairly certain it will be a decent production, but I'm satisfied with the original. So far the only remakes where I've seen the earlier version are:

Psycho (1998) - hated the frame by frame duplication.
Clash of the Titans (2010) - about the same level as the original, but not nearly as fun.
True Grit (2010) - Very good, but I still find the original more entertaining and captivating.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) - Very good, but the first felt more natural.

I honestly think that I would appreciate each of these a bit more if I hadn't seen the earlier version, but knowing and comparing takes something away that I can't really explain. I think I'm through with remakes if I know the earlier version.

I think the RoboCop remake looks just different enough to justify it's existence but maybe I'm wrong. Still, I'm looking forward to it.

The Psycho remake failed as a movie, but I thought it was an intriguing experiment. It was quite literally a shot for shot, scene for scene remake. Nothing like that had ever attempted. So even though it didn't work, it still managed to hold a certain curiosity.

Also, the original Clash of the Titans sucked IMO. It was cheesy but it wasn't especially fun to me. The remake, though far from great or even all that good, still managed to improve on the original. In that way it reminded me of the remake of When a Stranger Calls. Mediocre movie, but still better than the terrible original (though the original Clash isn't quite as bad as the original When a Stranger Calls).

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:36 am
Auteur

When A Stranger Calls was a pretty bad remake, but for me the absolute worst remake of all time has to be "One Missed Call"

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:18 am