Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:38 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next
Batman v Superman : Dawn of Justice (2016) 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Batman, Superman & Wonder Woman now 2016
Quote:
What about "The Town"? Affleck was fantastic in that film. Luthor is kind of a nerd in some ways so I see Eisenberg as a pretty good fit, I think it's a good thing that he's "not your father's Luthor" because I think it's better to have a new take on Luthor rather then a rehash.

The good actors in the Town were Jeremy Renner,Rebecca Hall and Pete Postlewaithe as they stuck in my memory. I would throw Ben Affleck,Jon Hamm and Blake Lively in the just barely ok pile. Much prefer Affleck the director to Affleck the actor.

New take on Luthor is fine but what quality does Eisenberg bring to the character. The real star of Social Network was Aaron Sorkin's writing and Fincher's directing more than Eisenberg's acting which was proven in 30 Minutes of Less or To Rome with Love where he was completely forgettable with lesser material and directing.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:49 am
Second Unit Director

oakenshield32 wrote:
Quote:
oakenshield32, that is an extremely unfair assessment of both Ben Affleck and Jesse Eisenberg. While Eisenberg is an unusual choice to play Lex Luthor, to say the least, he has given strong performances in the past, in particular in The Social Network. And Ben Affleck has remade his career both as a director and as an actor.

So give both of them the benefit of the doubt, will you? After all, why judge them without even seeing their performances in the film?

With Affleck I usually see him as barely serviceable in most parts and a downright bust in others. In the action movies he has done he was terrible as Daredevil and forgettable as Jack Ryan. Even in Runner Runner was he even trying in that movie or just hanging out with his friend Justin Timberlake in a warm locale. I will give him one thing he cries really well. If Batman needs a good cry in the movie he is the man for the job.

Eisenberg on the other hands plays just two kind of nerds. The low key laid back nice nerd or the egotistical sarcastic jerky nerd. I am going to doubt that he will bring any kind of menace or threat to the part like Micheal Shannon did so what will he bring to the table. Comic relief. Superman beating up some little insecure Napoleonic complexed Steve Jobsish geek. This not your father's Lex Luthor.

For a start, the problems with Daredevil owe as much if not far more to director Mark Steven Johnson as with Affleck -- remember, Johnson is the same person who subsequently directed the abomination that was Ghost Rider, as well as the critically panned film Killing Season. Affleck was adequate as Jack Ryan in the Sum of All Fears but his role wasn't strongly written. And from what I've heard and read, Runner Runner's problems owe more to the script than anything the actors (whether Timberlake or Affleck) bring to the roles.

As far as Eisenberg is concerned, keep in mind that Lex Luthor has always been envisioned as a nerdy, corporate type of villain. His prime strength has always been his cunning nature, ruthlessness and intelligence. These are qualities that I think Eisenberg could bring to the role -- after all, he did portray Mark Zuckerberg in the Social Network as a cold-but-brilliant man who screwed over others to get up to the top (whether that's an accurate take on him is another matter). I agree with the assessment that Aaron Sorkin's script and David Fincher's direction are key strengths to the Social Network, but the film would not have worked nearly as well had it not been for Eisenberg's performance.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:38 am
Producer

oakenshield32 wrote:
Quote:
What about "The Town"? Affleck was fantastic in that film. Luthor is kind of a nerd in some ways so I see Eisenberg as a pretty good fit, I think it's a good thing that he's "not your father's Luthor" because I think it's better to have a new take on Luthor rather then a rehash.

The good actors in the Town were Jeremy Renner,Rebecca Hall and Pete Postlewaithe as they stuck in my memory. I would throw Ben Affleck,Jon Hamm and Blake Lively in the just barely ok pile. Much prefer Affleck the director to Affleck the actor.

And much prefer is pushing it a bit. Affleck is a mediocre actor who can put in a decent enough turn when he has the script, but can come nowhere near rescuing a project. When the script is dull, Affleck bellyflops like a motherfucker, you can bet your house on it.

As a Director he's probably marginally better, but by no means great. He just has a keen, populist eye on what middle-brow audiences seem to enjoy. A by-numbers approach to genre conventions, which shows decent general intelligence, but not real film making craft.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:12 am
Producer

Ben Affleck is not going to bellyflop in a role that largely requires him to look stern and speak his lines in a flat whisper.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:29 am
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:
Ben Affleck is not going to bellyflop in a role that largely requires him to look stern and speak his lines in a flat whisper.

Exactly. It's not as if Batman has ever been an overly complex role! It seems that the villains have always been much more interesting IMO.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:07 pm
Cinematographer

oakenshield32 wrote:
The real star of Social Network was Aaron Sorkin's writing and Fincher's directing more than Eisenberg's acting which was proven in 30 Minutes of Less or To Rome with Love where he was completely forgettable with lesser material and directing.

Yeah, I don't know about that one. He holds his own quite admirably against the titans that are the film's writing and directing. (And not for nothing, but the denizens of ReelViews gave him a ReelViews Oscar.)

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:26 pm
Producer

Pedro wrote:
(And not for nothing, but the denizens of ReelViews gave him a ReelViews Oscar.)

Someone needs to let WB know to put that on the movie poster: "starring Pedro Award winning actor Jesse Eisenberg".

Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:37 pm
Assistant Director

According Batman News

Zack Snyder and the cast to start filming around middle March "The earliest" but a chance to see pictures of the batmobile and Batman costume before that

Attachments:
Batm Superman Wonder Woman.JPG
Batm Superman Wonder Woman.JPG [ 49.95 KiB | Viewed 614 times ]

Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

This article shows a recent pic from Gal Gadot (Attached)

Quote:
The photo was posted on Gadot’s Facebook page with the status update “Selfi while standing on a ball. Now tell me this is not original! Good morning!!!”

She seems to have fun working out and if you see the full photo then it seems from her house where she has quite a few Gym tools. The second pic attachment is her goal ;-)

PS: To Ken,

I should receive the WW Spirit of truth graphic novel from Paul Dini some time this week hopefully

Attachments:
Gal Gadot 24 Feb.JPG
Gal Gadot 24 Feb.JPG [ 24.81 KiB | Viewed 599 times ]
WW New 52.jpg
WW New 52.jpg [ 55.14 KiB | Viewed 571 times ]

Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:24 am
Profile WWW
Producer

unwindfilms wrote:
PS: To Ken,

I should receive the WW Spirit of truth graphic novel from Paul Dini some time this week hopefully

Damn, dude. I apologize on behalf of basically the whole planet for how long it is taking for this book to ship to you.

Personally, I think it'll be well worth your wait. I was just discussing another book in the series--Superman: Peace On Earth--with a friend of mine who's also a big superhero fan. We both agree that Ross's art style is ideally matched with the writing style that Dini chose for these books. It's the perfect balance of mythical presentation and real-world story conflicts.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:32 am
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
Damn, dude. I apologize on behalf of basically the whole planet for how long it is taking for this book to ship to you.

Personally, I think it'll be well worth your wait. I was just discussing another book in the series--Superman: Peace On Earth--with a friend of mine who's also a big superhero fan. We both agree that Ross's art style is ideally matched with the writing style that Dini chose for these books. It's the perfect balance of mythical presentation and real-world story conflicts.

Indeed Ken. I am placing a little review of the graphic novel for the others . Feel free to add more

Wonder Woman Spirit of Truth (2001) is one of the six World's Greatest Super-heroes graphic novels all done by writer Paul Dini and artist Alex Ross. WW and the Amazons here are very balanced beings where the Queen sent Diana to the outside world as an ambassador of truth and understanding (lol in the new 52 WW are more warrior like) and as Ken wrote, there is not a super-villain but real-world story conflicts. WW initially tackles them without using secret identities that creates lacks of collaboration and appreciation but after a meeting and advice from Clark Kent (See pic below) she then decides to takes different secret identities to blend better with humanity and this way she gets better understanding of the conflicts as well as more appreciation after the job is done as WW. The art work is very good! and in general I liked it for a change but I prefer my super-heroes , in particularly the very powerful ones like WW and Superman, facing super-villains ;-)

Attachments:
Spirit of truth1.JPG
Spirit of truth1.JPG [ 17.84 KiB | Viewed 512 times ]
WW CK.JPG
WW CK.JPG [ 18.04 KiB | Viewed 509 times ]

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:06 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

Interesting interview with Snyder in LATimes. Here some excerpts:

Quote:
We’re getting ready to start shooting in a month or so. It’s going great. I’m very excited.......So it’s an interesting historical thing. We were just testing the suits, right? The new Batsuit and the Superman suit. It wasn’t even with the actors, right? It was just to see ‘em. I was standing there, they were standing next to each other. And I was like, “Guys, someone take a picture! This has never happened before.” We slightly dork out. Like, “Are you kidding me?!

In regarding Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor:

Quote:
I think Jesse is going to be an amazing Lex. Let’s not forget he was nominated for an Academy Award. It’s not like I just grabbed my friend to play the guy! This guy’s the real deal

Attachments:
Snyder.JPG
Snyder.JPG [ 21.03 KiB | Viewed 474 times ]

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:36 am
Profile WWW
Assistant Director

From a Michael Wilkison (costume designer) interview:

Quote:
It's a thrilling and slightly scary process of course. It's so important to get her right. She really deserves to be presented on screen.
'I look at how the characters going to be presented on the big screen and on comic books and on graphic novels.
'We process that all and then we work out what is best for our film and we try and create a Wonder Woman who is modern and relevant for today's audiences.'
... 'I mean, you just have to look at the gladiators from ancient Rome; they did their thing in little loincloths, and a spear and a shield. It works for Thor, it works for 300 , so let's see what happens.'

So it seems that WW costume is going in direction of maybe something similar to the attached pic....Let's see :-)

Attachments:
WW Gladiator.JPG
WW Gladiator.JPG [ 54.99 KiB | Viewed 464 times ]

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:29 am
Profile WWW
Producer

I never want to hear anyone use the word "relevant" to describe anything superhero-related ever again.

When your characters are steeped in myth and folk tales, "relevant" is not a part of your situation. Just tell the damn stories with some respect and the characters will make themselves relevant. Besides, nobody in the superhero business even knows what "relevant" is anymore.

When your other characters are a man in a blue unitard and another man in black rubber with fake muscles, really, what's so bad about this?

http://revistareplicante.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/wonder-woman.jpg

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:40 am
Producer

I find your dissection of their straining to be relevant, to be relevant.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:13 am
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
I never want to hear anyone use the word "relevant" to describe anything superhero-related ever again.

When your characters are steeped in myth and folk tales, "relevant" is not a part of your situation. Just tell the damn stories with some respect and the characters will make themselves relevant. Besides, nobody in the superhero business even knows what "relevant" is anymore.

When your other characters are a man in a blue unitard and another man in black rubber with fake muscles, really, what's so bad about this?

http://revistareplicante.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/wonder-woman.jpg

No my top preference but not bad at all (See Ken's pic attached) . What I wish is that Snyder/Wilkison do not take off is the lasso of truth as I think that it is really her signature because let's not forget her creator William Moulton Marston was instrumental in the invention of the modern polygraph

Attachments:
WW Original.JPG
WW Original.JPG [ 33.51 KiB | Viewed 455 times ]

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:13 am
Profile WWW
Producer

Hell's bells, what I would do to be Gadot's favourite chair!

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:14 am
Producer

I think they should go whole-hog on the lasso. In its original appearance, it didn't just make people tell the truth. It made them do whatever Wonder Woman told them to do. It's way cooler that way, though I do admit that its truth-extracting abilities made for an excellent gag in the animated movie.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:20 am
Producer

Ken wrote:
I think they should go whole-hog on the lasso. In its original appearance, it didn't just make people tell the truth. It made them do whatever Wonder Woman told them to do. It's way cooler that way, though I do admit that its truth-extracting abilities made for an excellent gag in the animated movie.

With someone like Gadot, there's a huge potential for good old fashionable sauciness there.

BUT, these films tend to be somewhat desexualised.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:27 am
Producer

That's a pretty big issue for the genre as a whole.

In her inception, Wonder Woman had an element of sexuality to her. There's not really any way around it. During the Golden Age of comic books, when Wonder Woman as a character was at her most potent, the lasso was an intentional, if low-key, image of dominance and submission. When the war came around, all the superheroes were sort of reconfigured to suit the morality of the times, and Wonder Woman suffered the worst of it. By the 1950s, nobody knew what to do with her anymore, and that's more or less the situation now. She was deliberately fashioned as a symbol of female agency and nobody was having that in the era of Leave It To Beaver.

Superman also lost something of himself in that time, but he was able to weather it a bit better. If you look at the earliest issues of Action Comics, there is a low-key element of sexual attraction between Superman and Lois Lane. There was no sense of it being unhealthy or immoral or anything like that. That was part of the appeal of those characters. She was beautiful, sophisticated, competent, and understandably jaded. He was the only guy in town who could surprise her. That's a part of the Superman fantasy: being able to charm the most headstrong woman in town.

It's interesting to look at the way the comics develop, because Superman's own psychology as it relates to women tends to reflect the times. In the '50s, Superman was basically Super-Ward Cleaver. During second-wave feminism, when the establishment was awash with anxiety about women's liberation, poor Superman was getting harangued left and right by Lois Lane and Lana Lang. When the 1978 film rolled around, and cinema audiences were comfortable with a kinder, gentler masculine role model, Superman was allowed to have a healthy, equitable relationship with the women in his life, and the movie depicted that very well. The comics of the 1980s and early '90s start to bear this out, if somewhat sporadically.

Nowadays, I'm not sure what's up with our collective consciousness, but superhero stories seem as gunshy about fair and robust depictions of women as they've ever been. I think part of it is a conscious effort to de-ghettoize the genre, which necessarily means planing off the rough edges and making it palatable for the most easily-offended audience members. Another part of it (paradoxically) is that the pool of talent in charge of the comics has gotten more and more insular. You have morons like Dan DiDio pulling the editorial strings, and they sincerely have no idea how to make comics for anybody who isn't a shy, bitter teenage boy. Both those things basically mean that sexuality is a no-no... unless it's very safe, male ego-centric sexuality like in Spider-Man.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:35 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 331 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next