Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:27 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
Batman v Superman : Dawn of Justice (2016) 
Second Unit Director

Post Re: Batman, Superman & Wonder Woman now 2016
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
This meme has been making the rounds on the internets.

Who we wanted for Lex Luthor vs Who we got – The H is extremely important!

The good thing is that Ben Affleck now will not be the most miscast actor or the give the most lifeless performance of the movie.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:04 am
Producer

They probably cast him on the basis of The Social Network. Seeing as how he's played a real-life asshole billionaire, playing a made-up asshole billionaire shouldn't be too tough.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:10 am
Assistant Director

Zac Snyder explanation of the casting of Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor

Quote:
"Lex Luthor is often considered the most notorious of Superman's rivals, his unsavory reputation preceding him since 1940," Snyder said in a statement. "What's great about Lex is that he exists beyond the confines of the stereotypical nefarious villain. He's a complicated and sophisticated character whose intellect, wealth and prominence position him as one of the few mortals able to challenge the incredible might of Superman. Having Jesse in the role allows us to explore that interesting dynamic, and also take the character in some new and unexpected directions."

I think that there have not been a cinematic iconic "Lex Luthor" performance (Gene Hackman was a bit campy and Kevin Spacey...well... did he play Lex Luthor? lol) so Eisenberg (without the "H") with the right script can make a truly memorable one. Time will tell :ugeek:

Attachments:
Lex Jesse.JPG
Lex Jesse.JPG [ 47.54 KiB | Viewed 571 times ]

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:22 am
Profile WWW
Director

I picture something a Deathnote rivalry here, and wonder if Lex will be anything like L. That would be a lot of fun.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:33 am
Producer

A clever piece of casting IMO

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:44 am
Director

MGamesCook wrote:
I picture something a Deathnote rivalry here, and wonder if Lex will be anything like L. That would be a lot of fun.

That would be fantastic. The kind that if it didn't work, it would still be a very entertaining misfire.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:11 am
Producer

There've been plenty of good portrayals of Luthor so far. People might deride Hackman as campy now, but in the context of both history and the story he was in, he was just right. His Luthor was a bit of the technical wizard from the 1960s comics, whose struggle with Superman was largely one of egos, but he also prefigured the Luthor of the late '80s/'90s comics, the rapacious capitalist. It is widely assumed that Spacey was mimicking Hackman in Superman Returns, but Spacey's Luthor is much more like the '70s Luthor, a much more openly malevolent and physical version of the character--a version which Hackman's Luthor seemed to skip.

I also like Michael Rosenbaum's Luthor on Smallville, who was the one consistently good thing about the show. The clever thing Smallville did was that it gave Clark Kent and Luthor a similar starting point and set up their journeys as a dark mirror to one another. Rosenbaum plays the character as human and troubled, but also does an effective job of showing the erosion of his soul.

And then there's Clancy Brown from the 1990s animated series. His Luthor wrapped up the ego, the insecurity, the genuine genius, and, most disturbingly, the low-key delight he felt in the misfortune of others. The quintessential smooth-operating psychopath.

The one portrayal I can think of that was really a dud was John Shea on the 1990s show Lois & Clark, who seemed to think he was playing Frasier Crane's long-lost second brother at times.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:27 am
Producer

I'm presuming (without further research) that "Lois and Clark" is what was named "The New Adventures of Superman" over here.

Dean Cain?

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:54 am
Second Unit Director

oakenshield32 wrote:
Balaji Sivaraman wrote:
This meme has been making the rounds on the internets.

Who we wanted for Lex Luthor vs Who we got – The H is extremely important!

The good thing is that Ben Affleck now will not be the most miscast actor or the give the most lifeless performance of the movie.

oakenshield32, that is an extremely unfair assessment of both Ben Affleck and Jesse Eisenberg. While Eisenberg is an unusual choice to play Lex Luthor, to say the least, he has given strong performances in the past, in particular in The Social Network. And Ben Affleck has remade his career both as a director and as an actor.

So give both of them the benefit of the doubt, will you? After all, why judge them without even seeing their performances in the film?

Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:58 am
Cinematographer

StatGuy2000 wrote:
oakenshield32, that is an extremely unfair assessment of both Ben Affleck and Jesse Eisenberg. While Eisenberg is an unusual choice to play Lex Luthor, to say the least, he has given strong performances in the past, in particular in The Social Network. And Ben Affleck has remade his career both as a director and as an actor.

I'd say that Affleck remade his career as a director ONLY- as an actor, he still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of ability. As for Eisenberg: I like the guy, but I agree with the notion that he's not the guy to cast as Luthor. Maybe he'll knock it out of the park, though.

StatGuy2000 wrote:
So give both of them the benefit of the doubt, will you? After all, why judge them without even seeing their performances in the film?

I'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt if the film were in the hands of a more competent director than Snyder.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:20 pm
Producer

NotHughGrant wrote:
I'm presuming (without further research) that "Lois and Clark" is what was named "The New Adventures of Superman" over here.

Dean Cain?

The full title of the show here was "Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman", and was alternately marketed as that or just plain "Lois & Clark".

"Dean Cain" is not a complete question, so I will improvise. No, I have never smelled Dean Cain's farts, and I'd try not to if I ever ran into him.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:04 pm
Auteur

Ragnarok73 wrote:
StatGuy2000 wrote:

I'd say that Affleck remade his career as a director ONLY- as an actor, he still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of ability. As for Eisenberg: I like the guy, but I agree with the notion that he's not the guy to cast as Luthor. Maybe he'll knock it out of the park, though.

StatGuy2000 wrote:

I'd probably give them the benefit of the doubt if the film were in the hands of a more competent director than Snyder.

I think Snyder is a plenty competent director, and I think Affleck is just as good of an actor as he is a director, so i'm not too concerned about the casting choices.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:57 pm
Producer

Snyder strikes me as someone who doesn't have much insight into his own process. He can do something by instinct and give a plausible explanation for why he did it, but that might not necessarily be the real reason. That's not a bad thing or a good thing. Just a thing. Some directors can give you an accurate, cerebral explanation for why they did something and some can just shrug and tell you that it seemed right.

As for the demands of these roles, I think Superman is a tough nut to crack, but Batman and Luthor are a little more "chewy". By that, I mean that the characteristics that the actors can exploit for a good performance are more obvious, much closer to the surface. It doesn't take a lot of insight to understand how they work. Even if I thought that Affleck and Eisenberg were particularly untalented--which I don't--I still think they have all they need in order to get into these roles.

The one with the toughest job is still Henry Cavill. Man of Steel had lots of problems, but I thought he did very well in the role. He gets it.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:23 pm
Second Unit Director

Quote:

With Affleck I usually see him as barely serviceable in most parts and a downright bust in others. In the action movies he has done he was terrible as Daredevil and forgettable as Jack Ryan. Even in Runner Runner was he even trying in that movie or just hanging out with his friend Justin Timberlake in a warm locale. I will give him one thing he cries really well. If Batman needs a good cry in the movie he is the man for the job.

Eisenberg on the other hands plays just two kind of nerds. The low key laid back nice nerd or the egotistical sarcastic jerky nerd. I am going to doubt that he will bring any kind of menace or threat to the part like Micheal Shannon did so what will he bring to the table. Comic relief. Superman beating up some little insecure Napoleonic complexed Steve Jobsish geek. This not your father's Lex Luthor.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:46 pm
Auteur

oakenshield32 wrote:
Quote:

With Affleck I usually see him as barely serviceable in most parts and a downright bust in others. In the action movies he has done he was terrible as Daredevil and forgettable as Jack Ryan. Even in Runner Runner was he even trying in that movie or just hanging out with his friend Justin Timberlake in a warm locale. I will give him one thing he cries really well. If Batman needs a good cry in the movie he is the man for the job.

Eisenberg on the other hands plays just two kind of nerds. The low key laid back nice nerd or the egotistical sarcastic jerky nerd. I am going to doubt that he will bring any kind of menace or threat to the part like Micheal Shannon did so what will he bring to the table. Comic relief. Superman beating up some little insecure Napoleonic complexed Steve Jobsish geek. This not your father's Lex Luthor.

What about "The Town"? Affleck was fantastic in that film. Luthor is kind of a nerd in some ways so I see Eisenberg as a pretty good fit, I think it's a good thing that he's "not your father's Luthor" because I think it's better to have a new take on Luthor rather then a rehash.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:49 pm
Producer

It's worth mentioning that Grant Morrison envisioned Luthor as an out-of-shape, pompous nerd who muscled up purely out of insecurity and vanity after Superman showed up.

If you don't know who Grant Morrison is, just know that if only one person should ever be permitted to write Superman comics from now until kingdom come, he's the one.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:58 pm
Assistant Director

Ken wrote:
There've been plenty of good portrayals of Luthor so far. People might deride Hackman as campy now, but in the context of both history and the story he was in, he was just right. His Luthor was a bit of the technical wizard from the 1960s comics, whose struggle with Superman was largely one of egos, but he also prefigured the Luthor of the late '80s/'90s comics, the rapacious capitalist. It is widely assumed that Spacey was mimicking Hackman in Superman Returns, but Spacey's Luthor is much more like the '70s Luthor, a much more openly malevolent and physical version of the character--a version which Hackman's Luthor seemed to skip.

I also like Michael Rosenbaum's Luthor on Smallville, who was the one consistently good thing about the show. The clever thing Smallville did was that it gave Clark Kent and Luthor a similar starting point and set up their journeys as a dark mirror to one another. Rosenbaum plays the character as human and troubled, but also does an effective job of showing the erosion of his soul.

And then there's Clancy Brown from the 1990s animated series. His Luthor wrapped up the ego, the insecurity, the genuine genius, and, most disturbingly, the low-key delight he felt in the misfortune of others. The quintessential smooth-operating psychopath.

The one portrayal I can think of that was really a dud was John Shea on the 1990s show Lois & Clark, who seemed to think he was playing Frasier Crane's long-lost second brother at times.

Thanks for the comprehensive (TV shows/Cinema) compilation of Lex Luthor interpretations . I will be looking forward to read your opinion after you see Eisenberg's one!

In other order of ideas, I received last night the graphic novel "New 52 Justice League vol 2" , I have read only half and so far so good. I particularly appreciate the humour that Geoff Johns brings , like in this edition, "Green Arrow" wants to joins the JL and Green Lantern so far is against as he thinks they already has one guy (Batman) without super powers in the team lol. Anyway, hope that Chris Terrio brings some humour to this movie at least he has Geoff Johns as executive producer to consult with

PS: Still waiting for WW's "Spirit of Truth"

Attachments:
JL vol 2.jpg
JL vol 2.jpg [ 38 KiB | Viewed 435 times ]

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:54 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:
Snyder strikes me as someone who doesn't have much insight into his own process. He can do something by instinct and give a plausible explanation for why he did it, but that might not necessarily be the real reason. That's not a bad thing or a good thing. Just a thing. Some directors can give you an accurate, cerebral explanation for why they did something and some can just shrug and tell you that it seemed right.

Correct. Most of my favorite directors are like this, including Spielberg I think. Edgar Wright and Paul W.S. Anderson are more cognizant of what they do. I sometimes get the sense that British directors are the most self-aware.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:00 am
Producer

I'm not sure about that. I bet Spielberg could give an exact explanation for the piece of bread stuck to the window in War of the Worlds.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:31 am
Director

Ken wrote:
I'm not sure about that. I bet Spielberg could give an exact explanation for the piece of bread stuck to the window in War of the Worlds.

I don't know about the bread itself, but that shot through the window is meant to mirror the same shot in E.T. Spielberg does things like that some of the time, but a lot of the time I think he's just going on instinct, reacting to the script and to his sets.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:15 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next