Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:42 pm




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 38  Next
General Movie News 
Author Message
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 625
Post Re: General Movie News
There are always ways for people to be offended, and all sorts of folks who spend their time looking for offense, so I don't doubt that some will be. But this is Old Testament stuff and I can see Aronofsky probably moving cautiously so as not to offend Jewish people. I don't know Aronofsky, but I doubt he'll impugn God or Noah.

There's plenty of opportunities for excitement and drama without deviating much from the story. From the debauchery prior to the Ark to the near complete elimination of life, to the isolation of Noah's family. The time on the ark could be The Life of Pi times 10. There are certainly opportunities to question mercy under the circumstances and I'll be curious to see how that comes out if it is brought forth.


Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:50 pm
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
The interesting thing is that there are some pockets--fundamentalist, mainly--that don't seem to care how the material is treated. It's the fact that somebody's making a film at all.

There's a Dutch Calvinist enclave not far from where I live (famously the birthplace of Paul Schrader) where movies are forbidden entirely. The suggestion is that even if one specific movie doesn't purvey sin, it's still the product of an industry that purveys sin, and therefore the movie is still delivering profits to an industry that benefits from sin. This has the weird effect of filing even the most respectful religion-themed movies under the category of worldly amusements.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:02 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 625
Post Re: General Movie News
That's an interesting viewpoint. I guess there are isolationist religious communities that do their best to maintain purity, and that is admirable in some ways, but sin is hardly contained by the walls of Hollywood nor repelled by the walls of any community.


Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:19 pm
Profile
Assistant Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:42 pm
Posts: 949
Location: New Zealand
Post Re: General Movie News
PeachyPete wrote:
I'm actually really excited for Noah. Aronofsky is such an interesting, ballsy filmmaker that I can't really see him making a straightforward biblical epic. He's even stated that he sees Noah as someone wracked with guilt and plans to focus on that. I'm pretty sure he's going to give us a movie that infuriates a ton of religious people, and I can't wait.

What is especially intriguing about Noah is that Aronofsky is an atheist. I think Noah won't be what anyone is expecting.


Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:58 pm
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 625
Post Re: General Movie News
Noah may very well be quite a bit different than many expect. Apparently it is based upon a graphic novel. I don't know how many liberties the graphic novel takes with the biblical account, but I remember how disappointed I was in watching 300 without knowing that it was based upon a graphic novel. Glad I just learned this about Noah so I can temper my anticipation. I definitely won't be in the line for the first showing.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:13 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
I've not read the comic myself, but being based on a comic shouldn't particularly help or hurt it. Worrying about Noah because 300 also started out as a comic book is like worrying about the Hobbit movies because Twilight was also based on a novel.

I've seen a few comic adaptations of Biblical material that really knocked my socks off, including an unabridged adaptation of Genesis by none other than R. Crumb.

I'm not saying that this means that Noah is guaranteed to be excellent on those grounds, but I don't think the comic thing should give anybody pause. It is, after all, just the starting point for Aronofsky's movie.

What intrigues me here is that Noah is being based on a work of historical fiction, rather than scripture. As we saw with the film of The Last Temptation of Christ, this probably doesn't bode well in terms of the inevitable religious protests, but it opens up a lot more room for new perspectives on an archetypal story that everyone knows in one form or another.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:40 am
Profile
Second Unit Director

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:45 pm
Posts: 422
Post Re: General Movie News
peng wrote:
Image

They are trying hard to not make me want to see an Aronofsky film.


I still can't believe that this is an actual movie, although I've seen the trailer. It seems so .. ill-conceived.

The poster is hilarious. They missed a trick, though. They should have put the line "We're gonna need a bigger boat" on the poster.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:03 am
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 625
Post Re: General Movie News
Noah may still be fantastic. My disappointment with 300 did not stem from finding out the source material was a graphic novel. I went into it with anticipation that the tension and heroism was already built in by the overwhelming number of the enemy and then was surprised (unpleasantly for me) to see monsters and beasts, or perhaps hallucinations, heaped upon the situation. Probably wouldn't have bothered me had I known that going in, but I was expecting a story based upon the traditional history and mythology associated with the battle.

My anticipation with Noah was very similar. I think the basic story is rich for material when filled in with details that can be reasonably imagined to have taken place among and to the people during the events as recorded in the brief account of Noah in Genesis. And that may well be what the source material has done. However, if there are sea monsters attacking the ark I'm not sure I'll be interested. Being familiar with the tradition, but not with the actual source, I'll wait to hear and read some more details before I set myself up for another disappointment.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:10 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
You may not have heard about this, but the original 300 comic book was also based on a movie. Or, rather, it was based on vague memories Frank Miller had of a movie he saw as a child, which was itself a fictionalized retelling of the 300 Spartans at Thermopylae. In effect, 300 is an adaptation of an adaptation of an adaptation.

I can't vouch for the original movie, but the comic is every bit as silly as the Snyder movie. The main thing the comic has going for it is that, unlike most comics, it has this unusual horizontal orientation. It looks nice on a coffee table.

I just did a little reading on Noah. It appears that the comic book did not exist previously to the movie project. The book is an adaptation of the movie script, at Aronofsky's behest. So the comic and the movie are adapted from a common source, rather than the movie being adapted from the comic. This bodes well, at least in the sense that the movie will not be so far removed from its source as 300 was.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:21 am
Profile
Cinematographer

Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 pm
Posts: 625
Post Re: General Movie News
Thanks for the news Ken. That does bode well. I still don't know what to expect, but will now strive to go in with an open mind and throw out preconceptions. The story is rich with possibilities no matter how it may be treated with regard to tradition or beliefs.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:43 am
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1419
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: General Movie News
Tom Hiddleston auditions as Thor.


Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:01 pm
Profile
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1419
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: General Movie News
Maybe tangentially related to the thread, but J.K. Rowling admitted in an interview with Emma Watson that she regret Ron and Hermione's relationship, saying that Harry would be better.

Excuse my 14-year-old self for a moment... but I knew it! Up until before the sixth book, I was convinced that Rowling was preparing a bait and switch where she would set Harry up with Hermione instead. It makes sense from a personality perspective. And the fact that Watson has way more chemistry with Radcliffe than Grint in the films doesn't help either (actually Luna would be a very logical choice too. I mean, just anyone but Ginny).


Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:37 am
Profile
Producer

Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:04 am
Posts: 2192
Post Re: General Movie News
I disagree. I would have been disappointed if Hermoine ended up with Harry.


Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:03 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 424
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: General Movie News
ilovemovies wrote:
I disagree. I would have been disappointed if Hermoine ended up with Harry.

Absolutely agreed. It would've been one thing had that been Rowling's intentions from the start and if the plot had been set up accordingly. But if it had been a bait-and-switch, like Peng thought it would be, it would've put me off from completing the story itself.

One of my favourite aspects of the books was the Harry-Hermione friendship. They confide so much in each other about how they're feeling and look out for each other in difficult circumstances that it would've been ridiculous for such a beautiful relationship to suddenly take a romantic turn. In fact, I was probably the only one of the few who took issues with what Harry says in the seventh book/film: "Hermione's always been like a sister." There's no need for a cheesy dialogue like that when most people who read the books/watched the films would know exactly what is the relationship between Harry and Hermione.

However, I can see what Rowling means by what she said. Ideally, it is hard to imagine someone as intellectually brilliant and logical as Hermione be with someone as impulsive, irritative and goofy as Ron. But for me that is what makes the relationship work, in a weird take on the opposites attract rule.

I also agree with Peng about Harry and Ginny. Even in the books, it was always hard to feel the chemistry these characters had going for them. This is only exacerbated in the films because the actress playing Ginny doesn't know what acting is. And I also agree that Daniel/Emma display more chemistry than any other actors in the film, but I would argue that their chemistry mirrors the kind of relationship I spoke about above.

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:52 am
Profile WWW
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
Rupert Grint still sounds more like a Harry Potter fantasy-esque name than Ron Weasley.

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:22 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am
Posts: 424
Location: Chennai, India
Post Re: General Movie News
Ken wrote:
Rupert Grint still sounds more like a Harry Potter fantasy-esque name than Ron Weasley.

Brilliant! :lol: :lol:

_________________
Balajithots - Last Updated 21-Jan - Frozen (2013)
This list... is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.


Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:29 am
Profile WWW
Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:42 pm
Posts: 1419
Location: Bangkok
Post Re: General Movie News
Maybe bait-and-switch is the wrong word. I was looking more for something that means "very subtle build-up", which I thought (maybe wrongly) that I had detected in the five books leading up to the sixth. I thought the fights Ron and Hermione always had had ventured too far from "opposites attract" into outright hostility often for them to work as a couple; at least, not one that wouldn't require some heavy marriage counsel down the years. Whereas for Harry and Hermione, like you said, it was a beautiful relationship, but for me it was also a very trusting and caring one, which signified they are compatible for each other. Could be a matter of different interpretations though.

That was also a problem I had with the sixth book, and to a minor extent, the seventh one. It's not about my prediction didn't materialize, but about how I feel J.K. Rowling suddenly went from writing believable teenage woes of Order to making the relationship stuff of Prince very cartoonish, where the equivalence of a romance is kissing heavily in public 24/7. Mind you, the latter might be accurate to some, but the way the writing about it switched between books was jarring.

Quote:
Rupert Grint still sounds more like a Harry Potter fantasy-esque name than Ron Weasley.


:lol:


Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:34 am
Profile
Second Unit Director
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:57 pm
Posts: 436
Post Re: General Movie News
peng wrote:
Maybe tangentially related to the thread, but J.K. Rowling admitted in an interview with Emma Watson that she regret Ron and Hermione's relationship, saying that Harry would be better.

Excuse my 14-year-old self for a moment... but I knew it! Up until before the sixth book, I was convinced that Rowling was preparing a bait and switch where she would set Harry up with Hermione instead. It makes sense from a personality perspective. And the fact that Watson has way more chemistry with Radcliffe than Grint in the films doesn't help either (actually Luna would be a very logical choice too. I mean, just anyone but Ginny).


And as I said on Twitter and Facebook, justice for the Harry/Hermione shippers like me.


Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:31 am
Profile
Producer
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:26 pm
Posts: 2157
Post Re: General Movie News
Grumpy Cat: The Movie

...Fuck it. Why not?

_________________
The temptation is to like what you should like--not what you do like... another temptation is to come up with an interesting reason for liking it that may not actually be the reason you like it.


Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:16 am
Profile
Auteur
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:02 pm
Posts: 3614
Location: Zion, IL
Post Re: General Movie News
Ken wrote:
Grumpy Cat: The Movie

...Fuck it. Why not?

Wow and I thought the LEGO movie was the laziest idea Hollywood ever came up with.


Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:42 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 38  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forum/DivisionCore.
Translated by Xaphos © 2007, 2008, 2009 phpBB.fr