Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:32 am

The end of an era ( Space shuttle) 
Post The end of an era ( Space shuttle)
I thought that I would bring up the topic of the Space shuttle and it ending.
Does any one have any thoughts on what will replace it , if at all?
I was looking online and came accross the followingh for what might be next
http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/newshuttle/overview.php

I believe that the space exploration is a good thing. But is it too expensive?

Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:25 am
Post Re: The end of an era ( Space shuttle)
Whenever we set foot back out into space, I doubt the craft will resemble the shuttle in either design or function.

For a country with by far the most expensive and wasteful military in the world, the space program costs peanuts, even with spaceflight.

Last edited by Ken on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:24 pm
p604 wrote:
I thought that I would bring up the topic of the Space shuttle and it ending.
Does any one have any thoughts on what will replace it , if at all?
I was looking online and came accross the followingh for what might be next
http://www.csa.com/discoveryguides/newshuttle/overview.php

I believe that the space exploration is a good thing. But is it too expensive?

It is incredibly expensive but I think it's absolutely worth the cost. We have directly benefited from the technologies created for space exploration. And, I feel the pursuit of knowledge alone is a noble goal worth a high price. It's unfortunate that manned missions seem to be coming to an end but I think we'll see much advancement in non-manned flight.

One of my greatest wishes is to be alive when we finally find the proof of other intelligent life in the universe.

Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:48 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

Eventually i do believe that we will start to travel in space. Maybe not in my lifetime. Though i do hope that we do have warp speed one day. Hopefully Gene Roddenberry will be vindicated.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:45 am
Producer

Neil deGrasse Tyson did an episode of Cosmic Queries on space tourism a couple weeks ago. Good stuff.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:49 am
Second Unit Director

For space travel to happen more rapidly, more and more private companies have to start getting involved with their own private funding. Space travel just can't be NASA. This is starting to happen with people like Richard Branson, Paul Allen, and Elon musk funding innovation in reusable rocket technology, and much cheaper ways to get people in space.

I'm a big supporter of NASA and what they accomplished, but it is still a government agency with much politics involved. I say bring on more private space enterprise as soon as possible. Not only will that expand our reach into space, but that innovation will also trickle down to different things on earth, like better, faster, more efficient airplane designs, better, more powerful, more efficient fuel cell technology, etc.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:36 pm
Producer

The way NDT sees it, the role of government is exploration. Once NASA proves that something can be done, that's when private businesses (who are understandably risk-averse) can step in and start taking what's been done and working it into viable enterprises. All the discovery will happen with our government-sponsored research first.

Personally, I'd like to see them work out the engineering problem of the space elevator, so we can get around having to use jet propulsion to get things off-planet. Once we're over that obstacle, our presence in space will progress very rapidly.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:55 pm