Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:49 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead in his apartment 
Producer

Post Re: Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead in his apartment
Man, I just woke up and come downstairs to hear this news. What a horrible way to wake up. RIP to one of the best talents out there! :cry:

Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:45 pm
Director

Excellent actor. Rest in peace.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:56 pm
Producer

Ken wrote:
I'm struggling to pick a favorite film that he's done. Right now, Capote's looking good.

"That did not cross our mind, dude"

Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:06 pm
Producer

*checks Netflix Instant for The Master*

*Netflix says The Master is unavailable to stream, and that many who search for The Master choose to stream The Master of Disguise instead*

*weeps*

Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:14 pm
Director

That is a most shocking news after just waking up for a few minutes. Why so many deaths in recent years. RIP.

As for his favorite role of mine, in a franchise full of figures like John Voight, Dougray Scott, and Michael Nyqvist, it's very impressive how such an initially unthreatening-looking guy like him becomes the best villain.

And The Hunger Games series.. He already makes a most excellent Plutarch :( . Whoever replaces his role has some big shoe to fill.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:07 pm
Assistant Director

A very popular, local comedian also died this morning, so this came like a very awful 1-2 punch for me. Really, really shocking. I don't think there's a performance of his that I haven't enjoyed. Yes, from Twister and The Big Lebowski, to Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and Mission: Impossible III. Even Along Came Polly. Such a versatile actor. RIP

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
Auteur

peng wrote:
That is a most shocking news after just waking up for a few minutes. Why so many deaths in recent years. RIP.

As for his favorite role of mine, in a franchise full of figures like John Voight, Dougray Scott, and Michael Nyqvist, it's very impressive how such an initially unthreatening-looking guy like him becomes the best villain.

And The Hunger Games series.. He already makes a most excellent Plutarch :( . Whoever replaces his role has some big shoe to fill.

I don't think he'll need replacing in Hunger Games as he had already finished filming his role for both Mockingjay films.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:16 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
Ken wrote:
I'm struggling to pick a favorite film that he's done. Right now, Capote's looking good.

Before the Devil is great too.

Magnolia is my favorite film that he's in, and his performance was really moving.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:17 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:
I don't think he'll need replacing in Hunger Games as he had already finished filming his role for both Mockingjay films.

For Part 1. He still had some filming for Part 2 to do, although it does seem more possible that they will write around it rather than replace him.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:11 pm
Second Unit Director

peng wrote:
Vexer wrote:

For Part 1. He still had some filming for Part 2 to do, although it does seem more possible that they will write around it rather than replace him.

A week's worth of filming left...and Lionsgate has already said that the release date for Part II would be unaffected so yeah, they will write around it.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:18 pm
Critic

peng wrote:
Vexer wrote:

His role gets very interesting in Mockingjay so I'll be curious if they can

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:19 pm
Cinematographer

NotHughGrant wrote:
Ken wrote:

"That did not cross our mind, dude"

The Big Lebowski was on television this last week, and even though I've seen the film several times before, it was only watching it then that I realized just how great he is in his small role. His awkward reactions to Bunny's sexual offers to the Dude, particularly his matter-of-fact "That's marvelous," tickled me so much I ripped them off of YouTube and made them the sounds that play whenever I get texts. I'm going to have to retire those now.

For me though, my favorite role of his has to be Lester Bangs in Almost Famous. Hell, I've had one of his quotes from that film as my signature for some time now.

This is a tough pill to swallow.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:38 pm
Profile WWW
Cinematographer

Apparently, the cause of death was drug overdose. Goddamnit. I am among those who will miss one of the great actors of his generation, but the cause of death does tarnish it a bit for me.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:48 pm
Critic

Blonde Almond wrote:

For me though, my favorite role of his has to be Lester Bangs in Almost Famous. Hell, I've had one of his quotes from that film as my signature for some time now.

This is a tough pill to swallow.

I know, right? His conception of Lester Bangs is the patron saint to people like us. Well, other than Roast Beef, whose patron saint is Jordan Belfort.

Also, I fucking love your new picture

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:19 pm
Producer

Ragnarok73 wrote:
Apparently, the cause of death was drug overdose. Goddamnit. I am among those who will miss one of the great actors of his generation, but the cause of death does tarnish it a bit for me.

I don't know that it should. It's something he tried to beat and just couldn't do it. It happens to a lot of good people.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:45 am
Producer

Ken wrote:

Same here. My #1 film of that year, and Hoffman's fantastic.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:08 am
Producer

I just remembered that my ex and I were in LA a few years ago and went to a taping of Craig Ferguson. PSH was the first guest, there to promote Jack Goes Boating. I never did get around to seeing it.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:09 am
Producer

Seeing how it's my all time favorite movie, I think it's safe to say that my favorite Phillip Seymour Hoffman movie is Almost Famous. Love, love, love that movie and I love him in it.

He plays a hell of a bad guy too in Punch-Drunk Love and M:I-3. And Magnolia is probably my second favorite movie of his, after Almost Famous.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:19 am
Second Unit Director

One of my favorite Philip Seymour Hoffman scenes from Charlie Wilson's War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHNZUmdqdv8

I still haven't seen his masterworks like Capote, Doubt, Synedoche New York, among many, many other films. I look forward to those.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:12 am
Profile WWW
Producer

I haven't seen Synecdoche, New York yet either. It's on my netflix queue though somewhere in the middle. Maybe I'll bump it up.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:40 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next