Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:19 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15913 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 717, 718, 719, 720, 721, 722, 723 ... 796  Next
Last Movie You Watched 
Critic

Post Re: Last Movie You Watched
Syd Henderson wrote:
Vexer wrote:
Thief12 wrote:
I'm both a huge Fincher fan and an IT guy, and yet I never understood the huge praises that The Social Network got. Sure, it was well made and it was a solid film. But to me, it doesn't even touch the best of Fincher.

Agreed, I even prefer Alien 3 to that film.

You are truly not like other men.

On the other hand, I hate Seven, which gets loud praise from a lot of people.

Do go on. I rather like Se7en. The plot doesn't quiiiiiite hold up, but it's got atmosphere for days

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:13 pm
Cinematographer

I'm a huge fan of Seven. It is probably my #2 film of all time.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
Director

Quote:

Right on.

Quote:
I don't like Se7en either, as far as serial killer thrillers go it's nothing special, I found the ending especially weak.

Vex, remind me, do you consider Silence of the Lambs overrated as well? I'm not a big Se7en fan, it's slow and should be 30 minutes shorter than it is. There also could have been a better choice than Kevin Spacey to play that part, I didn't find him very believable. It's amazing to me that Anthony Perkins' performance as Norman Bates is still arguably the most realistic portrayal of a serial killer in a Hollywood movie. Especially when Bates bares a strong resemblance to several of the real life killers in the 70s and 80s, so it's anachronistically accurate.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:57 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Quote:

Right on.

Quote:
I don't like Se7en either, as far as serial killer thrillers go it's nothing special, I found the ending especially weak.

Vex, remind me, do you consider Silence of the Lambs overrated as well? I'm not a big Se7en fan, it's slow and should be 30 minutes shorter than it is. There also could have been a better choice than Kevin Spacey to play that part, I didn't find him very believable. It's amazing to me that Anthony Perkins' performance as Norman Bates is still arguably the most realistic portrayal of a serial killer in a Hollywood movie. Especially when Bates bares a strong resemblance to several of the real life killers in the 70s and 80s, so it's anachronistically accurate.

Silence Of The Lambs is decent, it's considerably better then Se7en, though it is a tiny bit overrated and I find Hannibal to be a better film overall.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:59 pm
Director

Vexer wrote:

How is the ending weak? It is keeping with the themes and tone of the film. How should it have ended?

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:04 am
Producer

Se7en's ending was like a punch in the gut. Incredibly powerful and haunting. I couldn't stop thinking about it for hours after it was over. Sure, there is some slight overacting by Brad Pitt, but I still thought he was powerful.

And Kevin Spacey was unforgettable as John Doe. 1995 was a great year for him. John Doe and Verbal Kint, all in the same year. Two amazing thrillers.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:00 am
Auteur

ilovemovies wrote:
Se7en's ending was like a punch in the gut. Incredibly powerful and haunting. I couldn't stop thinking about it for hours after it was over. Sure, there is some slight overacting by Brad Pitt, but I still thought he was powerful.

And Kevin Spacey was unforgettable as John Doe. 1995 was a great year for him. John Doe and Verbal Kint, all in the same year. Two amazing thrillers.

I only remember the ending because I saw it coming from light years away, it didn't shock me in the least. Personally I wish the alternate ending would've been used instead.

Honestly Spacey really didn't impress me, he was overreacting to the point where I didn't find his character the least bit threatening.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:18 am
Director

Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

I only remember the ending because I saw it coming from light years away, it didn't shock me in the least. Personally I wish the alternate ending would've been used instead.

Honestly Spacey really didn't impress me, he was overreacting to the point where I didn't find his character the least bit threatening.

Agreed. Maybe if I had no knowledge of how real serial killers behave, but I do and it ain't like that. And it looked like they made no effort to immerse Spacey in the character. Looked like he happened upon the set one day and they just asked him to do it for fun.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:14 am
Director

I have always thought Se7en as a very good genre exercise, but never quite fully understand its lofty status. Loved The Silence of the Lambs, though.

Kevin Spacey is good in the role, but (from what I remember from seeing it once anyway) his appearance feels so brief to me that he doesn't leave a lingering impression much.

Gonna have to go the other way here and say that I loved The Social Network, strangely with the main reason being its atmosphere. It has a fittingly methodical and alienated feeling.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:39 am
Second Unit Director

The last 20 minutes of Se7en were some of the most intense moments I've felt watching a movie. There was something about the entire finale, not just the last 5 minutes, but as soon as John Doe turns himself in that just sent my gut into a frenzy. I didn't have the first clue what to expect.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:02 am
Producer

Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

I only remember the ending because I saw it coming from light years away, it didn't shock me in the least. Personally I wish the alternate ending would've been used instead

Bollocks! You predicted her head would be in the box, representing Envy? Then Pitt would kill Spacey representing Wrath.

One word Vex - Bullshit

Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:35 am
Producer

Jason Becker: Not Dead Yet

A bit of backstory on the subject of this movie: Jason Becker is a musical prodigy who came of age in the 1980s. He was still in high school when his reputation as a virtuoso guitarist earned him a recording contract with Shrapnel Records, and shortly thereafter he was making records with future Megadeth guitarist Marty Friedman. At 21, Becker had just succeeded Eddie Van Halen and Steve Vai as David Lee Roth's musical partner when he was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's Disease. His motor functions declined quickly. His prognosis in 1991 was that he had only a few years to live. As the title of the movie suggests, he has defied that prognosis.

Becker still makes music with the assistance of friends and family. His father helped him to develop a sort of sign language that involves eye movements, the only kind of movement that Becker is now capable of. He dictates the notes to his collaborators, who then transcribe his ideas using music composition software. Becker has released several records in the years since he became immobile. If the movie is any indication, he has an upbeat, jokey personality and doesn't spend much time lamenting his condition.

Not Dead Yet is a documentary that retells the events of Becker's life. There's plenty of face time for his friends, family, and musical contemporaries, as well as photos and home video footage. It is a treasure trove for fans of his music. Yet I was hoping for something a little more insightful, something more revelatory about his musical process and the way that his health has affected it.

That would require him to be more open about his thoughts than he seems comfortable with. At one point, he says that people always expect him to say something deep and profound, then quips "Deep is boring." He has few words in the movie, many of which are spent on dirty one-liners. I suppose that's insight enough.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:42 am
Cinematographer

peng wrote:
I have always thought Se7en as a very good genre exercise, but never quite fully understand its lofty status. Loved The Silence of the Lambs, though.

Kevin Spacey is good in the role, but (from what I remember from seeing it once anyway) his appearance feels so brief to me that he doesn't leave a lingering impression much.

Wow, it was quite the opposite for me. He is on screen for like 20-something to 30 minutes, and yet it felt as if his presence permeated the whole film all of a sudden. Like Gedmud said, the last act is one of the most intense ones I've seen on a film. It completely blew me away the first time I saw it, and still does whenever I revisit the film which is quite often.

Visit my site: Thief12 profile

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Director

American Hustle

It needs to be said that David O. Russell is truly an actor's director. American Hustle is a damned good film, with dashes of humor and drama, all supported by several really strong performances. Amy Adams is stellar, and so is Bradley Cooper. Christian Bale again proves why he is one of the best actors of his generation, and Jeremy Renner is great with his limited screen time. The weak link, as usual, is Jennifer Lawrence; her New Yawk accent comes and goes, and she only has her two usual emotions of goofy and pouty. But she isn't on screen a lot, so she doesn't drag down the film in the same way she did Silver Linings Playbook. The period detail is also outstanding; this is a good entertaining romp.

Baseball

I've been watching the Ken Burns documentary over the past two months, and finally finished it the other day. Burns is an excellent documentary filmmaker, and Baseball is good history. I think baseball fans will find this more interesting than non-fans, but it is interesting to see how the national pastime shaped our nation and continues to do so. A minor gripe: I think it focuses a bit too much on the Yankees and Red Sox, but Burns is from the Northeast, and those two teams dominate baseball up here.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:00 am
Director

Finally finished off my last unseen Aronofsky, although Pi could use a rewatch since I remember so little of it.

The Wrestler (2008)

I had put off watching this for so long because I couldn't shake my own feeling that the film will live down its image of an indie sport drama cliche. In some way, the film is still predictable in that sense, with the daughter subplot a prime example (although the scene at the boardwalk ranks among the film's best). That one could have been longer to flesh it out, or get reduced significantly. But overall, the film is imbued with so much sensitivity, feeling of verisimilitude, and great acting that it rises above other flaws. The final scene is incredibly moving too. Darren Aronofsky really knows how to majestically end his films; he's five for five now. 8/10

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:06 am
Auteur

NotHughGrant wrote:
Vexer wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:

I only remember the ending because I saw it coming from light years away, it didn't shock me in the least. Personally I wish the alternate ending would've been used instead

Bollocks! You predicted her head would be in the box, representing Envy? Then Pitt would kill Spacey representing Wrath.

One word Vex - Bullshit
Hey if you don't believe me that's your problem, not mine :lol: :P

Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:54 pm
Director

Quote:

One word Vex - Bullshit

Hey if you don't believe me that's your problem, not mine :lol: :P

I definitely figured out that her head was in the box before Freeman opened it, doubt if that's hard to believe. As for the wrath and envy components...it's a bit silly anyway. I do think it's a bit nasty and mean-spirited though, even compared to the first 2 hours of the movie. Nasty/mean =/= powerful, for me.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:02 pm
Second Unit Director

The point is it doesn't matter if you figured out her head was in the box, it almost seems secondary to what John Doe had in store to finish his masterpiece, which would be pretty damn impressive if you figured out.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:12 pm
Director

Now that I'm refreshing my memory, I definitely guessed the box thing as soon as the detective said they found on spacey the blood of an unidentified third party. Man, that's screwed up. I do think the wrath/envy thing was guessable enough. It figures that he would try to provoke one of them into killing him. The whole thing is a little too fucked up in a way that goes beyond any realistic scenario.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:03 pm
Auteur

MGamesCook wrote:
Now that I'm refreshing my memory, I definitely guessed the box thing as soon as the detective said they found on spacey the blood of an unidentified third party. Man, that's screwed up. I do think the wrath/envy thing was guessable enough. It figures that he would try to provoke one of them into killing him. The whole thing is a little too fucked up in a way that goes beyond any realistic scenario.

Yeah for me it didn't feel like it really fit in with the film's themes, it just felt like it was thrown in for the sake of being shocking and little else.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:18 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15913 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 717, 718, 719, 720, 721, 722, 723 ... 796  Next