Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:45 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Oscar Nominations 2014 
Director

Post Re: Oscar Nominations 2014
wow...

Quote:
The Academy’s board of governors voted to rescind the original song nomination for “Alone Yet Not Alone,” music by Bruce Broughton and lyric by Dennis Spiegel. An additional nominee in the category will not be named.

The decision was prompted by the discovery that Broughton, a former governor and current music branch executive committee member, had emailed members of the branch to make them aware of his submission during the nominations voting period.

“I’m devastated,” Broughton told Variety. “I indulged in the simplest, lamest, grass-roots campaign and it went against me when the song started getting attention. I got taken down by competition that had months of promotion and advertising behind them.”

The move is rare, but not unprecedented. The Academy dropped the nomination for Nino Rota’s score for 1972 “The Godfather,” after finding out key portions had been used in an earlier film. Louis L’Amour’s 1953 story nomination for “Hondo” was withdrawn when it was found to be based on a short story. And Edward Bernds and Elwood Ullman honorably withdrew their nomination for the 1956 “High Society.” They had written a Bowery Boys comedy with that title and figured voters were confused because the Grace Kelly-Cole Porter musical of the same title was also released that year.

In a statement about the withdrawal of the “Alone” song nomination, Academy president Cheryl Boone Isaacs said, “No matter how well-intentioned the communication, using one’s position as a former governor and current executive committee member to personally promote one’s own Oscar submission creates the appearance of an unfair advantage.”

The board determined that Broughton’s actions were inconsistent with the Academy’s promotional regulations, which provide, among other terms, that “it is the Academy’s goal to ensure that the Awards competition is conducted in a fair and ethical manner. If any campaign activity is determined by the Board of Governors to work in opposition to that goal, whether or not anticipated by these regulations, the Board of Governors may take any corrective actions or assess any penalties that in its discretion it deems necessary to protect the reputation and integrity of the awards process.”

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:33 pm
Critic

I'm glad the first ever instance of corruption within Academy voting was swiftly struck down

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:07 pm
Second Unit Director

Sooo.....will there be another nomination or will the field be down to 4?

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:17 pm
Critic

patrick wrote:

Read the second sentence, Patrick

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:25 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:
patrick wrote:

Oh....I saw this story at another site and it was saying that there was no word if there would be a replacement nominee or not. I just thought this story would be the same.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:32 pm
Critic

patrick wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:
patrick wrote:

Oh....I saw this story at another site and it was saying that there was no word if there would be a replacement nominee or not. I just thought this story would be the same.

Well I think we both learned a valuable lesson here

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:35 pm
Second Unit Director

JamesKunz wrote:

I didn't :ugeek:

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:40 pm
Critic

patrick wrote:
JamesKunz wrote:

I didn't :ugeek:

Me neither ;)

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:35 pm
Auteur

I'm glad that song was withdrawn, it's so awful i'm surprised it was even nominated to begin with.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:51 pm
Gaffer

Sooo...my predictions:

Leading Actor: Honestly, I believe this is a toss up between Matthew MacConaughey and Leonardo DiCaprio, and at the end, they're going to give it to Leo for his "overdue" status....

Leading Actress: You're hearing it first here. Blanchett will NOT win this award. Amy Adams is going to.

Supporting Actor: Jared Leto.

Supporting Actress: I honestly doubt they're going to give Jennifer Lawrence another Oscar again this quickly. She's going to win more but not this year. That pretty much leaves Lupita.

Director: Alfonso Cuaron for Gravity.

Picture: There will be no split in this and best director. I firmly believe Gravity will win this award as well.

All in all:
Gravity should win about 6 - 7 Oscars: picture, director, film editing, sound editing, sound mixing and visual effects with a possible original score.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:49 am
Director

Just noticed that Steve Martin is getting an honorary Oscar. Weird choice.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:08 pm
Second Unit Director

Not really. Martin's had a long, successful film career, and he's a solid choice from the perspective of he's likely never going to win a competitive Oscar. He's certainly one of the actors I'm disappointed never got nominated. It probably also helps that he's hosted and written portions of Oscar telecasts in the past, but I'm going to look at it from the less nepotistic perspective of my first sentence.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:58 pm
Director

^ well, he's not exactly Peter O'Toole. The only time he came close to getting a nomination was Roxanne, and that was back in 1987. Most of his films in the last 20 years were pretty dreadful - Cheaper by the Dozen 1 & 2, Pink Panther 1 & 2 , Bringing Down the House. I guess I could understand him getting an honorary award if he was in his 80s or something(like the other winner this year Angela Lansbury) Heck, 87 year old Jerry Lewis doesn't sound like a bad idea for an honorary Oscar.
I'm a Steve Martin fan, but looking at the list of all the honorary winners, his name seems most out of place. Maybe the Oscar hosting thing held a lot of weight as you say.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:45 pm
Auteur

calvero wrote:
^ well, he's not exactly Peter O'Toole. The only time he came close to getting a nomination was Roxanne, and that was back in 1987. Most of his films in the last 20 years were pretty dreadful - Cheaper by the Dozen 1 & 2, Pink Panther 1 & 2 , Bringing Down the House. I guess I could understand him getting an honorary award if he was in his 80s or something(like the other winner this year Angela Lansbury) Heck, 87 year old Jerry Lewis doesn't sound like a bad idea for an honorary Oscar.
I'm a Steve Martin fan, but looking at the list of all the honorary winners, his name seems most out of place. Maybe the Oscar hosting thing held a lot of weight as you say.

I enjoyed those films so i'm fine with him getting an honorary award.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:39 pm
Producer

calvero wrote:

Martin also probably came close to a nomination for All of Me.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:17 pm
Director

Quote:
Sooo...my predictions:

Leading Actor: Honestly, I believe this is a toss up between Matthew MacConaughey and Leonardo DiCaprio, and at the end, they're going to give it to Leo for his "overdue" status....

I too am getting a tingling feeling it's gonna go to Leo. That could be this year's surprise.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:42 pm
Producer

I think it's Ejiafor and Bullock.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:35 pm
Producer

Syd Henderson wrote:

Ejiofor maybe, but not Bullock. Blanchett has that locked up. The only one who could possibly take it away from her is Amy Adams. But since American Hustle has died down a bit, I no longer believe that is going to happen.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:14 am
Director

ilovemovies wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:

Ejiofor maybe, but not Bullock. Blanchett has that locked up. The only one who could possibly take it away from her is Amy Adams. But since American Hustle has died down a bit, I no longer believe that is going to happen.

Does Ejiofor really have the most hype? I've heard others say it's between Leo and Matthew.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:05 am
Second Unit Director

MGamesCook wrote:
ilovemovies wrote:
Syd Henderson wrote:

Does Ejiofor really have the most hype? I've heard others say it's between Leo and Matthew.

Leo was by no means a sure thing to even get nominated right up until the nominations were announced. However, the "it's his time" thing is a very major thing, and clearly the Academy voters liked the film more than some thought they would. Most of all, though, is the fact that Ejiofor -- who was absolutely the front runner for most of the fall -- seems to have fallen off a little. It's a fairly even three-horse race right now, I'd say, but Leo could pull away. It's absurd that things work this way, but it's true: Matty Mac's terrible SAG speech makes some voters lean against him (otherwise he'd have to be the lead horse).

In terms of real unpredictability, it's the best Oscar season in years -- Blanchett is by far the closest to a lock, but the spoilers generally happen in the actress category more than with the men. I'm eagerly awaiting J-Law losing and the internet flipping their lid (can you imagine the Buzzfeed articles?).

My dream winners would be Her, Leo, Adams, Barkhad (because his speech would be wonderfully goofy and fun), and Hawkins. My other dream is for everyone to realize Nebraska is mediocre and replace all its noms. Alas. My predictions right now are 12 Years, Leo, Blanchett, Nyong'o, Leto.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:56 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next