Discussion of movies and ReelThoughts topics

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:42 pm

Stupid Movie Protests 
Auteur

Post Re: Stupid Movie Protests
For me Gay Deceivers is a film that badly shows it's age. I think "The New Normal" was a pretty progressive TV show with great characters, too bad it got cancelled.

The Al Pacino film "Cruising" received a ton of protests from the gay community during filming and it's very understable why as the film comes as rather offensive with it's portrayals of sterotypes.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:38 pm
Assistant Second Unit Director

KWRoss wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Precious: The backlash against it on the grounds that it depicted stereotypes. It didn't say that all black fathers are child molesters or that all darker skinned black people are overweight, steal fried chicken, eat pigs feet etc.

I was discussing this backlash once with a black female friend and she didn't understand it either. I wondered aloud why the people that were up in arms over this weren't screaming bloody murder at Soul Plane, a hideous attempt at a comedy that trafficked in these stereotypes and really was offensive. She agreed and pointed out that she felt the same way about "Don't Be A Menace".

Yup, the PRECIOUS backlash never made any sense whatsoever to me. People need to remember that when a movie depicts one particular character's life in a certain manner, that doesn't mean it's making sweeping generalizations about an entire race of people.

My problem with Precious wasn't just its use of stereotypes but its straight faced, Oscarbaiting sense of self importance while employing them. Such a serious slog through territory handled with no nuance or subtlety. The horrors pile on as if a sign should be held up in the background prodding "Betcha thought it couldn't that much worse in the ghetto, huh?" until the one truly multidimensional and complex scene at the end between Precious and her mother, just to whither away because virtually none of it was earned (and apparently the blacker you are in the movie the farther you live into the projects). Out of all the films to be made about how hard life can be in the streets, Precious is so improperly managed it begs the question of whether we needed it in the first place and remains the reason I've been hesitant about The Butler.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:47 pm
Auteur

JJoshay wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:
Precious: The backlash against it on the grounds that it depicted stereotypes. It didn't say that all black fathers are child molesters or that all darker skinned black people are overweight, steal fried chicken, eat pigs feet etc.

I was discussing this backlash once with a black female friend and she didn't understand it either. I wondered aloud why the people that were up in arms over this weren't screaming bloody murder at Soul Plane, a hideous attempt at a comedy that trafficked in these stereotypes and really was offensive. She agreed and pointed out that she felt the same way about "Don't Be A Menace".

Yup, the PRECIOUS backlash never made any sense whatsoever to me. People need to remember that when a movie depicts one particular character's life in a certain manner, that doesn't mean it's making sweeping generalizations about an entire race of people.

My problem with Precious wasn't just its use of stereotypes but its straight faced, Oscarbaiting sense of self importance while employing them. Such a serious slog through territory handled with no nuance or subtlety. The horrors pile on as if a sign should be held up in the background prodding "Betcha thought it couldn't that much worse in the ghetto, huh?" until the one truly multidimensional and complex scene at the end between Precious and her mother, just to whither away because virtually none of it was earned (and apparently the blacker you are in the movie the farther you live into the projects). Out of all the films to be made about how hard life can be in the streets, Precious is so improperly managed it begs the question of whether we needed it in the first place and remains the reason I've been hesitant about The Butler.

My thoughts exactly, everything about that film just rang completely false, it was shamelessly manipulative to the point where it was impossible to take remotely seriously.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:41 pm
Producer

JJoshay wrote:
KWRoss wrote:
Jeff Wilder wrote:

Hellfire, yeah! Precious! That's a film I've almost completely, sub-consciously erased from my mind. Like flashbacks of being tortured in Iraq or something.

But I agree, that film was basically The Passion of the Christ for the urban ghettos. Look, how much punishment, brutality and ill-will can one human being endure!

I appreciate that some films are meant to provoke; but fucking hell! This doesn't do that in the right way for my money

Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:13 am
Producer

It's definitely not going into my "in da hood thread" I tell ya! :shock:

Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:20 am
Producer

Without commenting on the technique of the film, I will say that I've lived in a couple sketchy neighborhoods and have seen and heard things to lead me to believe that Precious isn't terribly far-fetched. There is nothing false whatever about the notion of the parents who treat their children monstrously and the children who start out innocent but are probably damned to turn out like their parents.

Perhaps the most laudable thing about the movie was that they took a character who would be, at best, a minor or background character in any other movie and made her the main character. It empathized with someone outside the zone of archetypes that movies typically empathize with.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:25 pm
Producer

Ken wrote:
Without commenting on the technique of the film, I will say that I've lived in a couple sketchy neighborhoods and have seen and heard things to lead me to believe that Precious isn't terribly far-fetched. There is nothing false whatever about the notion of the parents who treat their children monstrously and the children who start out innocent but are probably damned to turn out like their parents.

Perhaps the most laudable thing about the movie was that they took a character who would be, at best, a minor or background character in any other movie and made her the main character. It empathized with someone outside the zone of archetypes that movies typically empathize with.

I know life throws up plenty of hideous scenarios. A friend of mine used to be a social worker and can attest to this fact.

But there is, IMO, something kind of … I dunno … voyeuristic … clichéd … nasty ... exhibitionist ... context-less ... there’s just something not right about Precious.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:45 pm
Producer

Exploitative?

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:56 pm
Producer

Bingo!

My issue isn't the grimness, or even the abuse. It's that that's what is about.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:51 pm
Producer

I'm a good word... guy.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:53 pm
Producer

Ken wrote:
I'm a good word... guy.

What's the word that feels like regret when you see a girl so beautiful you can't comprehend.

This happened in the Fish and Chip shop an hour ago

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:57 pm
Producer

Sounds like wistfulness to me.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:07 pm
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:
Ken wrote:
I'm a good word... guy.

What's the word that feels like regret when you see a girl so beautiful you can't comprehend.

This happened in the Fish and Chip shop an hour ago

Wistfulness

Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:12 pm
Producer

Fuck yeah, Kunzo!

You nailed it!

Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:18 pm
Producer

Here's a word for both of you: JERKS.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:18 pm
Producer

Envy

Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:19 pm
Critic

Ken wrote:
Here's a word for both of you: JERKS.

Ken you're still very special to us!

Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:21 pm
Producer

Haha, sorry, Ken.

Didn't see you'd said it already

Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:27 pm
Critic

NotHughGrant wrote:
Haha, sorry, Ken.

Didn't see you'd said it already

Neither did I until just now...heheheh

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:00 pm
Second Unit Director

Ken wrote:

I never saw Precious, but my mom did. She herself worked in, well, sketchy school district herself at the time and specifically commented on how she had students whose lives were fairly well reflected in the movie.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:59 pm
Profile WWW